PDA

View Full Version : Similar Games?

playlisting
11-07-2014, 06:09 PM
I'm looking for some games similar to Rainbow 6. I don't mean stuff such as door kickers, but games where I can move my team around and be on the ground with them like R6 Vegas 1/2. Thanks for any suggestions, got a real craving for some SWAT/Spec ops action just now.

RedKnight5
11-07-2014, 07:17 PM
Here are my views on this.

It looks like you are a PC gamer. Your question here is a pretty wide open question.

Depending on how in-depth of a shooter... like a Rainbow6... or similar military sim type of game you want to play together... about the only real answer, would be the Battlefield 3 or Battlefield 4 games. At least in my opinion at this time.

1. Battlefield 3. Available on the xBox360, the PS3 and PC... is a "Team" or "Squad" based 1st person shooter. BF3 was a better Team Based game than Battlefield 4 is now, in my opinion for a number of reasons. BF3 was a 12 vs 12 player game. BF3 was a decent Clan Supported shooter.

2. But if you and your friends have moved on, to the Next-Gen consoles or new PCs... then Battlefield 4 is the way to go for now. BF4 is also playable on the PS3 and xBox360 in their forms... and you can upgrade BF4 to the Next-Gens if you want. But BF4 is not a total Team based game shooter. You can create a 5 man Squad with 27 more players on your side of the room... that you can not communicate in game with. So you have a number of different Squads all trying to fight together with no real coordination. It quickly becomes a mess and turns into a "Run & Gun" kid shooter, that's like herding cats to get a win. BF4 is a 32 vs 32 player game. BF4 is not a good Clan Supported or Teamwork Supported game in my opinion.

On the PC.... ARMA III could be your answer. But ARMA III is a military simulation shooter and has a steep learning curve. There are other shooter games for the Next-Gens and PCs... but they mostly have limited Teamwork built in.

You could look at "Counter-Strike: Global Offensive"... but to me it looks like a "Last Gen Game". It's just nowhere near the level of a Battlefield game.

I'm not going to suggest any Call of Duty game. Those would be at the bottom of my list.

Lets see what other readers come up with.

strigoi1958
11-07-2014, 08:37 PM
you already mention swat and I liked them. 3 and 4. I think there's a kickstarter game called takedown (i'm not sure) but it is supposed to be aimed at players of swat and R6. other than that the only slightly similar (ish) thing I can remember was a war game where you paused and went up to a top down view and deployed your fellow soldiers to a location with orders then returned to FPS mode to carry on... but it probably wasn't great as I cannot even remember its name :D

playlisting
11-08-2014, 12:03 AM
Here are my views on this.

It looks like you are a PC gamer. Your question here is a pretty wide open question.

Depending on how in-depth of a shooter... like a Rainbow6... or similar military sim type of game you want to play together... about the only real answer, would be the Battlefield 3 or Battlefield 4 games. At least in my opinion at this time.

1. Battlefield 3. Available on the xBox360, the PS3 and PC... is a "Team" or "Squad" based 1st person shooter. BF3 was a better Team Based game than Battlefield 4 is now, in my opinion for a number of reasons. BF3 was a 12 vs 12 player game. BF3 was a decent Clan Supported shooter.

2. But if you and your friends have moved on, to the Next-Gen consoles or new PCs... then Battlefield 4 is the way to go for now. BF4 is also playable on the PS3 and xBox360 in their forms... and you can upgrade BF4 to the Next-Gens if you want. But BF4 is not a total Team based game shooter. You can create a 5 man Squad with 27 more players on your side of the room... that you can not communicate in game with. So you have a number of different Squads all trying to fight together with no real coordination. It quickly becomes a mess and turns into a "Run & Gun" kid shooter, that's like herding cats to get a win. BF4 is a 32 vs 32 player game. BF4 is not a good Clan Supported or Teamwork Supported game in my opinion.

On the PC.... ARMA III could be your answer. But ARMA III is a military simulation shooter and has a steep learning curve. There are other shooter games for the Next-Gens and PCs... but they mostly have limited Teamwork built in.

You could look at "Counter-Strike: Global Offensive"... but to me it looks like a "Last Gen Game". It's just nowhere near the level of a Battlefield game.

I'm not going to suggest any Call of Duty game. Those would be at the bottom of my list.

Lets see what other readers come up with.

I've played a LOT of every one of those games (not so much Arma 3, I prefer Arma 2) so they are sadly nothing new to me. Thanks for the suggestions though, might reinstall CS and give it a go soon. COD 4 has a good campaign, more so the S.A.S than the US one. S.A.S side has a lot of spec ops action. Not to mention All Ghillied Up!

you already mention swat and I liked them. 3 and 4. I think there's a kickstarter game called takedown (i'm not sure) but it is supposed to be aimed at players of swat and R6. other than that the only slightly similar (ish) thing I can remember was a war game where you paused and went up to a top down view and deployed your fellow soldiers to a location with orders then returned to FPS mode to carry on... but it probably wasn't great as I cannot even remember its name :D

Had a look at Takedown and it seems okay but not really the thing I'm looking for. The SWAT/Spec Ops type games are very much unexplored territory it seems. Few games that have come out in the past 4-5 years have been part of the sub-genre. It's a shame really :( If only R6:V2 had a field of view slider so I could enjoy it more. Still an awesome game it's just a shame I can't see more than 55 degrees around.

Cortexian
11-08-2014, 01:41 AM
Have you seen Due Process? It's still very alpha/in development, however I played it at PAX and have been watching the Node guys play it with the devs. It was pretty fun when I played it, though we only had so much time with it at PAX. It looks like it would be really fun with a group of close friends that you play with a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU7lO28ak7A

The blocky character models and such are just temporary until they get their new artwork in-game:
http://dueprocess.info/devblog.html

playlisting
11-08-2014, 02:10 AM
Have you seen Due Process? It's still very alpha/in development, however I played it at PAX and have been watching the Node guys play it with the devs. It was pretty fun when I played it, though we only had so much time with it at PAX. It looks like it would be really fun with a group of close friends that you play with a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU7lO28ak7A

The blocky character models and such are just temporary until they get their new artwork in-game:
http://dueprocess.info/devblog.html

That looks good. Will be interesting to see it when it's completed.

strigoi1958
11-08-2014, 08:04 AM
I like the planning phase of that game

Il Wu TaNg lI
11-18-2014, 10:41 AM
I haven't played it but I think Star Wars Republic Commando is a similar type of game, as long as you don't mind the setting. I remember it getting good reviews and it supposedly holds up well (was originally an Xbox game I believe), I think it's on steam and it's probably listed on the xbox store as well