PDA

View Full Version : Driver Releases

apresmode
11-05-2014, 05:03 PM
Are there typically driver releases around the release of new games? I'm pretty new to modern PC gaming, and am just curious how it all works. I know that Ubisoft and Nvidia are pretty close, and am just wondering if they release driver updates to fix issues or help optimize things.

YazX_
11-05-2014, 05:35 PM
most of the time yes, Nvidia call them game ready drivers and it describes what games got optimized in release highlights.

strigoi1958
11-05-2014, 05:45 PM
Plus Nvidia regularly get drivers developed to keep up with features, improvements and new games.... within the last 12 months they've released 14 drivers, 4 were beta and the other 10 are WHQL so an average of 1 every 5 weeks or 4 weeks if you include beta drivers :D

Anykeyer
11-06-2014, 01:28 PM
They try to release new drivers on time but it doesnt mean you have to stick to that particular driver bc "its specifically optimised for that game". Newer drivers often improve performance and fix bugs in older games.

ProsMayCry
11-06-2014, 07:53 PM
And what about all the AMD users ? I mean, it doesn't seem to be fair - giving ppl using Nvidia exclusive features, and those with AMD nothing? I hope they add those features later on.. :\

strigoi1958
11-06-2014, 07:56 PM
AMD develop their drivers quickly. Amd also partner games and nvidia has to play catch up on those titles so don't worry they'll run the game and any optimized drivers will get there soon after.

Anykeyer
11-06-2014, 10:18 PM
There are no nvidia-exclusive features other than those AMD simply doesnt support (like useless physx). PCSS shadows, HBAO, godrays worked on all cards in AC4, even if they all were added using nvidia tools.

sheby1911
11-06-2014, 11:01 PM
There are no nvidia-exclusive features other than those AMD simply doesnt support (like useless physx). PCSS shadows, HBAO, godrays worked on all cards in AC4, even if they all were added using nvidia tools.
Actually, there is. TXAA. Personally I love it, it looks much better than msaa or others AA.

Anykeyer
11-07-2014, 06:49 AM
It doesnt count. TXAA is nvidia's own AA. Not something game developers made but locked to specific cards.

ProsMayCry
11-07-2014, 08:07 AM
AMD develop their drivers quickly. Amd also partner games and nvidia has to play catch up on those titles so don't worry they'll run the game and any optimized drivers will get there soon after.

I hope you are right. :( I guess you'd understand me, just want to see the quality (in this case - graphical) I paid for.