PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed Games: Keyboard+Mouse or Xbox controller?

Altair1789
11-03-2014, 09:42 PM
I decided to start this thread because I thought it'd be a fun question to ask AC players, plus I don't understand how people play AC with a keyboard.

So do you use a plug in xbox controller or do you use a keyboard, and why? I use an xbox controller because I really don't like using a mouse to look around, and I'm used to xbox controllers since I played AC1-4 on an Xbox 360. When I got AC4 for PC I tried using a keyboard and mouse but I had a hard time getting used to it

wichking
11-03-2014, 09:48 PM
i personally prefer keyboard and mouse because on the keyboard you can just adjust every key as you wish to play the game. Also i love the mouse precision. Looking aroudn with these analog sticks is so unusual.and slow. With mouse you just get where you want in no time

Fatal-Feit
11-03-2014, 09:58 PM
Both.

I normally use the controller because of better precision in terms of movement and camera due to the analog sticks, but I also sometimes use the mouse and keyboard because it's more comfortable/relaxing and the controls are more flexible/adjustable.

It depends on my mood really. If I'm laid back and bored, just want to free-roam and kill stuff, it's M&K for me. If I'm trying to take the game more seriously, enjoy the scenery, immersion, and all that, I'll bust out the controller. :p

Green_Reaper
11-03-2014, 10:01 PM
For Assassin's Creed - I'm using a Xbox 360 controller. Basically for any 3rd person/open world game I play - I use this gamepad. I feel more comfortable playing it this way.

For games like rpgs/mmos it depends on the style of the game play - I could go either way for those.

For first person shooters, or shooters in general, I tend to use mouse and keyboard because of the accuracy and control it gives me.

UbiVolfbane
11-03-2014, 10:35 PM
I prefer using the Microsoft controller for AC games. I've been playing 3rd person games with controller for so long.. so I just prefer to play with controller. We're in the same boat. :o

Lignjoslav
11-03-2014, 11:29 PM
Mouse and keyboard. It feels mre natural to me and I've got a key layout that I've been using since the orignial AC that I'm so used to now that I really don't feel like changing it for anything else.

Alphacos007
11-03-2014, 11:42 PM
I always played everything with mouse, really hate controllers, for any kind of games except sports and racing.

playlisting
11-03-2014, 11:49 PM
Controller for me. I prefer keyboard/mouse for most games but Assassin's Creed definitely feels better with a controller.

Locopells
11-04-2014, 01:07 AM
K+M - feels more instinctive to me - when I want to look in a direction, I just 'move' in that direction - without having to move away from the attack controls.

hasznaloubi2005
11-08-2014, 05:37 PM
Surprisingly few answers to this interesting question. Here is mine.
From what I read, console controllers are favored by those who either "grew up" on consoles or have used them a lot even if they have PCs. I have never used a console, and hence never used a console controller. So, no surprise, I do not now and never intend to use one. I also feel that when a developer publishes (or in this case ports) a game to another platform, it should be a unified package, with the controls optimized for the device. This is clearly not the case for the AC series. The KB-mouse controls are not well thought out, which is why I keep seeing endless admonitions to get and use a console controller. Well, if I wanted to use a console or a console controller, I would have purchased one in the first place. The self-described console users are moving to the PC for a valid reason, I assume -- otherwise they would not even have to worry about adding a console controller; they could have stayed with their consoles in the first place. I am interested in gaming only on the PC (for too many reasons to list) and not at all on any console (again, too many reasons -- low frame rate being a big one). Those who like consoles should use them -- and I wonder why they think that straddling the issue with hardware meant for another device is worth the trouble -- except that Ubisoft games do not play well with PC control systems. That is the fault of the Ubisoft developers, not of the PC.Presumably those developers have some familiarity with a PC, so it should have been a no-brainer for them to design a control setup that works well without alien hardware needed.
Cheers!

Mr_Shade
11-08-2014, 05:52 PM
Keyboard and mouse - are limited for this type of game..

Keyboards are digital - so you can't have precise control over movement speed - without having toggles for run speed - which over complicates things in my mind..

So that's why I prefer pads..

Anykeyer
11-08-2014, 08:38 PM
Technically its all digital, but keyboard is binary- just 2 states. For me the precision of movement speed is unimportant thing, AC is not a racing game, I just want the fastest speed. and basic low/high profile toggle is more than enough for this.
Its a different story in multiplayer, you can easily mimic some NPC walking patterns using controller instead of keyboard. That can give you some minor advantage in slow paced modes. but experienced players will still see right through it. There is a major disavnatage howerer: its harder to be always aware of your surroundings with controller bc of slower and less precise camera. In fast paced modes this can be the difference between winning and losing. When I see someone in MP using controller (usually its pretty obvious) I try to use this to my advantage.

The only 2 games I have finished using controller alone were Castlevania Lords of Shadows (1 and 2). 1st one because there is no camera control at all and playing it with mouse feels really awkward. 2nd game got free camera but chose to play it with gamepad because I got used to it during 1st game. That being said I still prefer using keyboard and mouse in other slasher games with free camera, I never understood ppl who say those games are designed for gamepad. they can be played with kb/mouse, and that includes getting top achievements (like stormbriger in MGR revengeance) too.

Gawlron
11-08-2014, 08:48 PM
For games like this, I like to kick back in my chair and relax. :cool:

Oogakari
11-08-2014, 09:34 PM
I can't use a controller to save my life so...*cries*

Yeah, I use a K&M. Nearly everyone I meet sings praises of the 360 controller, but I just can't use controllers. I instantly forget the controls the minute someone tells me what they are, lol. Thus, it's a K&M for me. Plus, given I usually play MMOs, it's just easier to not have to change for other games.

~O

gatorbait21688
11-08-2014, 10:16 PM
I have played with both a keyboard and a controller. The controller gives you better control of the character. With the controller, I am much more fluid moving, and it fits my game style. I really enjoy taking people out quietly, so movement is key. But maybe for someone who prefers tanky roles when playing ac, the keyboard and mouse may be a better option.

Altair1789
11-08-2014, 11:09 PM
Interesting results, I didn't know so many people preferred keyboard and mouse. I've always felt the mouse feels weird when playing Assassin's Creed, plus I've been using controllers since I first played games. I use Keyboard and mouse for games like Skyrim and Fallout, but not Assassin's Creed

fido9dido
11-08-2014, 11:41 PM
I'm used to play video games with Keyboard & mouse since i was a kid. i tried controller once i couldn't control my character. & regarding to movement speed of keyboard i never had a problem with games that allows character to run/walk.

Anykeyer
11-09-2014, 09:58 AM
But maybe for someone who prefers tanky roles when playing ac, the keyboard and mouse may be a better option.
Its not true. You can play any role you like.

Tanyn
11-09-2014, 05:42 PM
With me, it very much depends on the type of game. I've played previous titles in the Assassin's Creed series using both the keyboard/mouse combo and the controller. AC2, to date, is the only game I've ever played, where I got all achievements on 3 different systems (XBOX, PS3 and PC). Having said that, I feel that some games *belong* on a console control scheme, and some on the PC. Assassin's Creed is one of those games that - to me - just feels like it belongs to the controller. Yes, mice are generally much more responsive and smooth (with the exception of the oh-so-terribly designed Watch_Dogs, but we're not talking about that), however, the controller puts all of the controls within thumb's reach. The keyboard may give you customization and re-mapping potential ... but let's face it, you don't generally need that many buttons to effectively play AC. (I've got a 5-minute video of AC4BF, fighting off something like 40 guards, never getting hit, not once ... and only ever pressing one of three buttons, never at the same time.)

The combat system has "changed" in ACU, based on the video. But from what I've seen of it, it's still going to be a total faceroll. I AM grateful for the dedicated stealth mechanic ... so I can actually FEEL like a damned assassin again, but I'm worried that that system won't end up being as necessary as Ubisoft claims. They've always advertised the stealth ... claim that it's "key", "essential", and things like that ... and it never has been, save a handful of missions that demand that you not be detected.

Getting off track though. In the end, in my opinion, I will opt to get this game on PC, but I will be plugging in a PS4 controller to actually play it. I refuse to buy it on PS4 though, because I refuse to further reinforce Ubisoft's total sycophantic attitude toward consoles and their parent companies.