PDA

View Full Version : Assassinís Creed Soundtracks

RinoTheBouncer
11-02-2014, 05:26 PM
Now that the samples of AC:U and AC:Ro have been revealed, and the full albums will be out soon. Let’s see which soundtracks do you favor the most whether it’s because of the atmosphere they set, the moments they’re played in or just good tracks that you enjoy listening to whether in the games or as a standalone track that you listen to on your iPod.

Here’s my list of ‘hits’:

1) Assassin’s Creed Theme (AC:R)
2) The Revelation (AC:R)
3) Istanbul (AC:R)
4) We Talk Together (AC:R)
5) Bleeding Effect (AC:R The Lost Archive)
6) The Wounded Eagle (AC:R)
7) Labored and Lost (AC:R)
8) Sofia Sartor (AC:R)
9) Animus Island (AC:R)
10) Passing the Torch (AC:R)
11) Ezio’s Family (ACII)
12) Earth (ACII)
13) Home in Florence (ACII
14) The Madam (ACII)
15) Ezio in Florence (ACII)
16) Animus 2.0 (ACII)
17) The Brotherhood Escapes (AC:B)
18) Apple Chamber (AC:B)
19) Desmond Miles (AC: B)
20) City of Jerusalem (AC)
21) Flight Through Damascus (ACI)
22) ACIII Main Theme (ACIII)
23) Trouble in Town (ACIII)
24) What Came Before (ACIII)
25) Desmond’s Destiny (ACIII)
26) Fight Club (ACIII)
27) Modernity (ACIV)
28) ACIV:BF Theme (ACIV)
29) Lowlands Away (ACIV, Sea Shanties)
30) Drunken Sailor (ACIV, Sea Shanties)

ACfan443
11-02-2014, 05:39 PM
I love these soundtracks and would rank them as follows:
AC1/AC2
ACB
ACR/AC4

Dislike the following:
AC3

Not ranking ACU/ACRo since I haven't heard the full soundtracks yet.

Also, your question asks "what is/are your favourite..", but the poll doesn't provide multiple choice.

Alphacos007
11-02-2014, 05:40 PM
AC2>AC3>Brotherhood>Revelations>4>1 for me.

Megas_Doux
11-02-2014, 05:47 PM
AC I, AC II and AC IV then ACR and ACB. AC III's is my least favorite.

rrebe
11-02-2014, 06:01 PM
For me it's between AC3 and AC4

Dev_Anj
11-02-2014, 06:03 PM
It's not going to be a fair poll until AC: Unity and AC: Rogue's soundtracks have been released.

JustPlainQuirky
11-02-2014, 06:06 PM
I really only pay attention to the main themes.

That being said,

I prefer the main themes of Revelations, Liberation, AC3 (Haytham Version), Freedom Cry, and Tyranny of King Washington.

Black Flag's theme is ok, but nothing I'd put on my ipod. ( I did enjoy the Parting Glass tho)

Ezio's theme is ehh.

AC1 doesn't even have a main theme.

I don't even remember Brotherhood's theme.

Farlander1991
11-02-2014, 06:07 PM
Seriously? A poll about soundtracks which include Unity and Rogue before people actually played them to make a proper judge call (heck, before full soundtracks were released even)? Previews aren't enough. Of course Unity and Rogue is going to get barely any votes. This is not fair for these games.

I don't even remember Brotherhood's theme.

Same as AC2's - Ezio's Family.

SpiritOfNevaeh
11-02-2014, 06:22 PM
AC3 for me. That music just resonates with me. :p

ACfan443
11-02-2014, 06:39 PM

It's not, it's Master Assassin

http://youtu.be/_UxieGouKP4

Megas_Doux
11-02-2014, 06:44 PM
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=G0DlLEo8T7k

AC I's almost official theme and the best one yet...

marvelfannumber
11-02-2014, 06:45 PM
AC1 doesn't even have a main theme.

I always think of Access the Animus as AC1's main theme since it plays constantly.

Farlander1991
11-02-2014, 06:49 PM
It's not, it's Master Assassin

http://youtu.be/_UxieGouKP4

Well, then that makes 'Animus 2.0' AC2's main theme. :p

To me the main theme of the game is what plays when the title appears, as that's where usually when main themes play :p And in ACB it's Ezio's Family. Master Assassin is menu music (and some mission music as well IIRC).

oliacr
11-02-2014, 06:53 PM
Revelations

RinoTheBouncer
11-02-2014, 07:00 PM
To me, Revelations is the most atmospheric. The main theme is absolutely the best, and the way other tracks were derived from it was just wonderful. And don’t get me started about how wonderful the soundtrack of The Lost Archive and Desmond’s Journey are.

Seriously? A poll about soundtracks which include Unity and Rogue before people actually played them to make a proper judge call (heck, before full soundtracks were released even)? Previews aren't enough. Of course Unity and Rogue is going to get barely any votes. This is not fair for these games.

AC Unity is gonna be released on the iTunes Store after tomorrow and you don’t really need a game to judge whether the song is good or bad. I mean, I barely noticed The Revelations track in AC:R but when I bought the soundtrack, I kept playing it on repeat.

Farlander1991
11-02-2014, 07:08 PM
AC Unity is gonna be released on the iTunes Store after tomorrow and you don’t really need a game to judge whether the song is good or bad.

You do, actually. We're not dealing here with songs, we're dealing with soundtracks, which are not necessarily written to work as stand-alone pieces - as is the case with at least half, if not more, of AC tracks (though that varies from person to person). That's because context is required for them to work properly. I listened to every AC soundtrack before the game's release, and let me tell you, always there were a lot of tracks that I didn't appreciate without hearing them in the context of the whole game. As soundtracks are just a part of the whole piece.

PS. The Revelation is cutscene music made specifically for a cutscene and played only once, and it's a variation of the main theme which in ACR's case works as a stand-alone piece as well.

RinoTheBouncer
11-02-2014, 07:17 PM
You do, actually. We're not dealing here with songs, we're dealing with soundtracks, which are not necessarily written to work as stand-alone pieces - as is the case with at least half, if not more, of AC tracks (though that varies from person to person). That's because context is required for them to work properly. I listened to every AC soundtrack before the game's release, and let me tell you, always there were a lot of tracks that I didn't appreciate without hearing them in the context of the whole game. As soundtracks are just a part of the whole piece.

PS. The Revelation is cutscene music made specifically for a cutscene and played only once, and it's a variation of the main theme which in ACR's case works as a stand-alone piece as well.

Well to be perfectly honest, music during fight scenes and free roaming isn’t that important to me. Like I barely pay attention to it because after few fights, you get used to the tune and I just stop focusing on them. But I can’t speak for everyone, though. But I guess listening to a sample of The Brotherhood Escapes for example, kinda tells you that it’s gonna work great in the game itself. But maybe I just prefer tracks that can be listened to out of the game as well. I believe if a song is only playable within the game and cannot be enjoyed outside of it shouldn’t even be on the soundtrack, cause it’s not like we’re gonna mute the T.V. and play the soundtrack album while we play.

straty88
11-02-2014, 07:32 PM

+1 My favorite AC pieces are typically from certain moments of each game. This is usually because I play the games before listening to the soundtrack as solo pieces. Although there are certain exceptions for me. For instance my favorite overall moment & song in a AC game is when Ratonhnhaketon is played in The Tyranny of King Washington. Purely because of how that fight is presented to the player, the context of that fight and obviously a great piece of music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV92_MlyDkk

Overall I'd say my vote goes to AC3/ToKW although those should be two separate options imo. Also anyone that hasn't, should really look into the AC4 multiplayer soundtrack. Some of the stuff on there is fantastic. My personal favorite is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyV-zHvoD0w

Also I believe (could be wrong of course) Access the Animus is the unofficial theme for AC1. It's played in a number of key areas in the game.

Farlander1991
11-02-2014, 07:36 PM
But I guess listening to a sample of The Brotherhood Escapes for example, kinda tells you that it’s gonna work great in the game itself.

Listen only to the first thirty seconds (well, 28 to be exact) of The Brotherhood Escapes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_0n8cnom0A). Do you think that would be a good indicator of how it works in the game? Or how great a track it is just on its own, for that matter? It's just an intro. Now, to be fair, Amazon sample uses the actual main part for that particular part, but to be quite frank the samples that are selected a lot of times appear quite random, not representative of the whole track.

I believe if a song is only playable within the game and cannot be enjoyed outside of it shouldn’t even be on the soundtrack, cause it’s not like we’re gonna mute the T.V. and play the soundtrack album while we play.

I do not agree. Again, context. I would hate for tracks like Acre Underworld or Leonardo's Inventions pt1 to be absent from soundtracks, even though before I actually played the game I thought they were quite frankly boring tracks. But I love them now, thanks to the context of playing the games, and like to listen to them from time to time outside of the game because my brain (as is everybody elses) connects the music to the experience. Because they're great soundtracks, even if they might not feel that way without the game's context (which, in no way means that they're bad, because, well, soundtracks, not songs).

ACfan443
11-02-2014, 07:38 PM
Well, then that makes 'Animus 2.0' AC2's main theme. :p

To me the main theme of the game is what plays when the title appears, as that's where usually when main themes play :p And in ACB it's Ezio's Family. Master Assassin is menu music (and some mission music as well IIRC).

Ezio's Family isn't even on the soundtrack while Master Assassin is and tops the track list. Besides, Master Assassin wouldn't have been a suitable fit for that title scene which is presumably why they opted for Ezio's Family. It was also, as you mentioned, used numerously throughout the game with a slew of variations. I think it's fairly obvious that it was first and foremost composed to be the main theme and doubled up as menu music afterwards, just as the case was with AC3 and AC4(variation).

Farlander1991
11-02-2014, 08:10 PM
Ezio's Family isn't even on the soundtrack while Master Assassin is and tops the track list. Besides, Master Assassin wouldn't have been a suitable fit for that title scene which is presumably why they opted for Ezio's Family. It was also, as you mentioned, used numerously throughout the game with a slew of variations. I think it's fairly obvious that it was first and foremost composed to be the main theme and doubled up as menu music afterwards, just as the case was with AC3 and AC4(variation).

Ezio's Family is not on the soundtrack because AC:B soundtrack doesn't feature re-used tracks from AC2. Venice rooftops is another one of the top of my head that is frequent in AC:B but not on its soundtrack, and there are some others too, like one of the Approaching Target tracks (quite a lot, to be honest). Btw, Borgia Occupation tops the track list of ACB soundtrack that comes directly with the game (in those editions that come with a soundtrack), does that make it a main theme?

The statement that it was composed to be the main theme is purely speculation (I do admit that such a possibility exists, though I doubt it), use in main menu or even frequent or semi-frequent use in missions does not equate it to main theme, otherwise Animus 2.0 and The Bureau (main menu) or stuff like Trouble in Town are main themes too.

Main themes/leitmotifs have certain gravitas to them, not only they're used to set-up the mood (which Master Assassin, to be fair, certainly does), but they also accompany pivotal character or story moments (at least that's how they were used in AC games usually). Which music plays in a mood and game defining part where title appears? Ezio's Family. Which music plays in Ezio's first and only moment of rest when he thinks he's retiring? Family. Which music plays when Ezio and Caterina talk in another life (and game, as it's around here the new Brotherhood mechanic is going to become a huge focus) changing moment for Ezio when he sets out to rebuild the Brotherhood and recapture Rome? Family (though in its Earth variation IIRC). In comparison to that, where does Master Assassin play? Some random following and infiltration missions (in addition to main menu). I don't know, I would say that despite its infrequent use, Ezio's Theme has more weight to it thematically than Master Assassin does :p

PS. Also, as Brotherhood was meant to be a completely direct continuation of AC2, like a stand-alone DLC of sorts, it even starts at the very same moment AC2 ends, it makes complete sense for it and AC2 to share the main theme.

Namikaze_17
11-02-2014, 08:53 PM
I picked AC3/TOKW.

Those just hit home with me.

My list is:

1) AC3/TOKW
2) ACR
3) AC1
4)AC4/AC2
5) ACL
6) ACB ( Except for main theme)
7 )ACRo