PDA

View Full Version : Sound design, music etc.

S0meAmateur
10-30-2014, 05:21 PM
One thing that has always amazed me in Clancy games (Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six) was sound design.

For rainbow six, the bullet impacts, subtle reverb and tinkling of empty shell casings have always made the experience much more immersive. Another part is music, which was had relaxed tension during the planning, and action music that never over-exaggerated or overwhelmed the in-game firefights. The little things make a huge difference. The more realistic, the better.

A real shout-out to the old-school rainbow players, to me at least, would be the soundtrack being composed by Bill Brown. He was the one who made the music for many Clancy games, and I feel he would do the best. He also did the music for Command and Conquer: Generals. For those unfamiliar with his work, here is his site (the game stuff is at the very bottom)

http://billbrownmusic.com/music.php

What do you guys want to see (well, hear) in the game for music/sound?

P.S. I'm seeing a bunch of different reactions on the forums, a good share being negative. Obviously the game is still a work in progress, so keep it positive and constructive, and you just might make the game a bit better.

Cortexian
10-30-2014, 08:11 PM
When it comes to sound, I really want to hear some immersive surround-sound capable audio. Both for ambient sounds relative to environmental noise, as well as being able to hear the subtle sounds generated by characters. Footsteps of someone sneaking around in a room beside me, the barely audible sound of combat-gears and pouches rubbing against each other when moving around, etc...

Obviously a big one will be what the weapons sound like, and I think you made a great point about things like shell casings hitting walls and floors, etc. Would absolutely love accurate sound effects being generated for different surfaces being hit by bullets and such.

The Ghost Recon Phantoms/Online sound guys did awesome subtle surround sound effects. Being able to throw my 7.1 headset on and heat enemies sneaking up a flank route beside or behind me and being able to intercept them based on the sound of their footsteps is awesome.

S0meAmateur
11-02-2014, 09:16 PM
One thing that was cool in Vegas was listening to gunshots and voices through walls and doors, but it really didn't have any fluctuation. It was either muffled or it wasn't. With this game, how awesome would it be to hear footsteps, debris and bullet impacts, not just from adjacent rooms, but on the floor above (and to a lesser extent, below)? So, you are in a basement, and you are defending the hostage or trying to sneak up from the enemy team's rear. You could hear the footsteps, and the occasional creak of the floor as troopers make their way towards your door, only to pass it up. It would be such a great tool to time attacks, or retreats, and could provide an advantage to those who try to be stealthier.

One of the best parts of Ghost Recon (the original) was when you used your last grenade before you enter a house, and got a kill, only to hear a Russian voice from one of the last two rooms- with opposing fields of fire. It is a 50/50 shot that you pick the right room, so you enter one only to have your fireteam mowed down from the other. Those moments got me thinking. What it your mic chatter actually played, in game, over the team's radios, so the other side could hear you coming, and maybe call an audible. It would challenge both teams to keep communications short, soft and to the point, or maybe give an opportunity to feed false info to eavesdroppers. Maybe you could throw speakers that did the same thing to throw the other team off. I'm not sure if it could work, but what do you think?

lamcho00
11-03-2014, 12:01 AM
Those moments got me thinking. What it your mic chatter actually played, in game, over the team's radios, so the other side could hear you coming, and maybe call an audible. It would challenge both teams to keep communications short, soft and to the point, or maybe give an opportunity to feed false info to eavesdroppers. Maybe you could throw speakers that did the same thing to throw the other team off. I'm not sure if it could work, but what do you think?

Spec Ops usually use throat microphones and earplugs to avoid chatter being heard by the enemy. Also chatter should always be short because while someone is talking you can't hear footsteps and other slight noises in your surroundings.

S0meAmateur
11-03-2014, 05:35 PM
True, true (I think boom mics are more popular though), but you may need to talk back, and that can be heard.

So if you teammates say they secured the hostage, nobody around you could hear. But when you say "Okay, I'll cover the back exit", that could be heard by anyone nearby.
It would be like listening to someone talk on the phone. You can only hear half of the conversation, but that could give listeners an edge.

Raubhamster2004
03-24-2015, 11:54 PM
My friends don't understand why music is so important for me in games and I guess many other people really don't care about the music.
But I do and the music from Bill Brown is actually one of my favourite, especially the soundtrack from C&C Generals.

I wish to hear his music in R6 again in the menus, loadout and planningscreen. I enjoyed this music in Ravenshield. But I dont want to hear music while playing a competitive mp game.

Regarding sound design I like most of the Tom Clancy games. Especially the weapon sounds from Ghost Recon. I still remember how scary those tank shots felt and even a small Glock sounded impressive and dangerous.

Unfortunately I forgot how the sounds in all the other games were that I played. Like Vegas 1 or 2, all the Splinter Cells. I only remember the amazing music from the Sc Conviction menu and that sound effects you heard when scrolling through the main menu that perfectly fit the music. I gtg, I need to have a look at this now. :)

S0meAmateur
04-02-2015, 05:20 PM
I've never played the game (conviction) personally, but that game is one of the best examples of why the music is so important. If someone could get Michael Nielsen and Kaveh Cohen (conviction) to work with Bill Brown, that would be epic! Having a bit of music in gameplay isn't bad. There is constant piano music in Black Ops Zombies. Maybe have a track that builds up as time runs out?

Anyway, I think that Rainbow could really benefit from good reverb/echo depending on where you are on the map. If you are outside, you would hear a long, but soft echo. Shooting on an open runway vs in the suburbs is different. Interior sounds are trickier, but work the same way. Shooting a gun in a small room vs a open area like a mall will have to very different sounds. If Ubi puts some love into the sound design, It would really add to the immersion. I'm tired of AAA graphics being ruined by sub-par sound.

zD.PooPoo
04-12-2015, 02:08 AM
Yes I agree with a game having excellent sound! It's part of the game and people who mainly focus on just Graphics are closed minded! I have a gaming sound card and would love to be able to take advantage of both my surround sound features in my gaming sound card and gaming headphones/speakers!