PDA

View Full Version : Seriously, he is going to have to change his nickname!

npavcec
10-26-2014, 10:59 PM
I cannot imagine someone coming to Europe and playing an official e-sport final with such a nickname. It is against.. like.. everything. I don't even want to think about it. Even the presence of something like that in the bracked and repeatedly voiced over official broadcasts can do more damage to MMDoC reputation than handful of awesome matches, features and whatnots. Trust me on this one. UBI, if there is a time to be professional, it is now with this issue. Just go ahead and ask your corporate PR.

IMHO.

Natchai_Ubisoft
10-27-2014, 11:44 AM
I'm guessing you're talking about yesterday's winner, yes? We'll discuss with our team

npavcec
10-27-2014, 04:12 PM
I'm guessing you're talking about yesterday's winner, yes? We'll discuss with our team.

Yes. I didn't even want to bring in on with naming. It is obvious.

ArgaliKabir
10-27-2014, 08:10 PM
Uplay is weird. On the main uplay site, you login with your email.

On DoC you log in with your "username", which you can now change.

Hantziie
10-27-2014, 09:03 PM
his username was changed already.

twardy_
10-27-2014, 09:06 PM
Uplay is weird. On the main uplay site, you login with your email.

On DoC you log in with your "username", which you can now change.

you can, but it looks like its working only for uplay...

Dagnir_Smauga
10-27-2014, 09:19 PM
his username was changed already.

Who? KillVirgins? What is his username now?

larkhainan
10-28-2014, 10:17 AM
The in-game censoring actually censors the word kill

And crack

Uplay is indeed weird

Kimundi
10-28-2014, 10:30 AM
We have discussed with KillVirgins and reached an agreement with him. We are working on switching his username to BlackSkull !

npavcec
10-28-2014, 11:16 AM
We have discussed with KillVirgins and reached an agreement with him. We are working on switching his username to BlackSkull !

The dude is a piece of work. :)

Aza404
10-28-2014, 11:56 AM

Don't be too harsh... he's agreed to change his name!

banduan
10-28-2014, 01:44 PM
BlackSkull is a very good name too.

Leisses
10-28-2014, 03:54 PM
Well, if BlackSkull were a problem too they would change the name of half Stronghold Creatures..

jkk89
10-28-2014, 04:10 PM
This whole censorship makes me really sad.

LQDBrunt
10-28-2014, 04:39 PM
What is so controversial with the name "Blackskull"?

BlackSkull.
10-28-2014, 04:49 PM
Hey! Whats going on here?

First of all, npavcec, Europeans aren't better than anyone in anywhere on the word. This nickname can be not funny there, but its the same in Brazil, Africa, or in a lost star at this galaxy. Guard down please.

I have Choiced this nickname on a creative day, then played 190 levels without thinking on Paris or something like it, I never had any problem with this nick... After R2P Ubisoft came at me and gently asked for me changing my nickname. I Agreed and is everything better for everyone now. All this hatred thread cos of a nickname is unnecessary.

banduan
10-28-2014, 04:49 PM
it's not.

'killvirgins' was the offending name

BlackSkull.
10-28-2014, 04:51 PM
What is so controversial with the name "Blackskull"?

Good Question hahaha

twardy_
10-28-2014, 04:51 PM
people feel ofended in the internet?

hilarious ;)

G3_dmz_PT
10-28-2014, 05:02 PM
I don't understand why people can get offended on a nickname like "KillVirgins"... It's an appropiated nick for the player himself... =D He just "killed" a lot of virgins out there last weekend..xD Now seriously.. The fault there was primarly from the game let it use the nick at all!!! The censure must start on the account creation an not years after that happened... Well, BlacSkull fits fine too =D Hope he wins the finals.. And mark history with all this controversial scene.. GL KillVirgins, and KZskull ftw porra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leisses
10-28-2014, 05:02 PM
+1

Dagnir_Smauga
10-28-2014, 05:03 PM

Equality, equality everywhere.

West so western, so fighting for freedom of speech, this is what you see here.

npavcec and others. If you fight for love and peace on the internet you can fight for love and peace in Ukraine and the third world countries. Not just screaming that someone has ugly nickname.

willwedu
10-28-2014, 05:08 PM
BlackSkull is a good name, is not offensive. Stronghold Cards uses this same name.

LQDBrunt
10-28-2014, 05:17 PM
it's not.

'killvirgins' was the offending name

I know, but when they said he changed it to Blackskull, someone said that KVirgins is a "piece of work", so i thought "Blackskull" has some other meaning also :p

Btw, KillVirgins or Blackskull :), gratz and gl in Paris!

npavcec
10-28-2014, 07:16 PM
Guys, I have nothing against the guy's persona nor his nicknames (previous nor current). As far as I am concerned, he can call himsef whatever sexists, racistic, hate preaching phrase he can come up with.

BUT, the thing is, once you come to the spot of the sport (e-sport in this case) which resonates through the broadcasts and is visible to a wider audience, following a certain ethical and civilization inherited codex is expected.

I have nothing against BlackSkull, it is just funny to me, nothing else. I was expecting something like that, that he will choose similar "dark" themed one.. that's why I said he is a "piece of work". You know that phrase.. "you're such a piece of work".. it is not negative nor derogatory.. more like a tap on a shoulder + approval, especially if followed with a smile emoticon.

So, just please take it easy.

ArgaliKabir
10-29-2014, 01:28 AM
Freedom of speech is so misunderstood.

Firstly it only applies to governments stifling speech. Ubisoft and DoC is a private environment. They can censor anything they want.

Secondly even in "free" countries, there are various forms of censorship, mostly relating to hate speech. USA is weird in that they do allow hate speech. If you want to burn a cross in a black dude's front yard, like the KKK, that's free speech, and the government won't do anything against you(though trespassing and causing criminal damage to the guy's front lawn will probably be what punish you for). Try doing that outside the US, and see how fast you go to jail.

Thirdly, PR is important. Do you really think it's good for the game if this year's CHAMPIONSHIP WINNING DECK BY KILLVIRGINS, is plastered in the shop? I suppose if you subscribe to the "there's no such thing as bad PR" philosophy.....

BlackSkull.
10-29-2014, 11:49 AM
Thirdly, PR is important. Do you really think it's good for the game if this year's CHAMPIONSHIP WINNING DECK BY KILLVIRGINS, is plastered in the shop? I suppose if you subscribe to the "there's no such thing as bad PR" philosophy.....

I'll really love if that happens :D

Imonothep
10-29-2014, 12:20 PM
What about JKKK89? Obvious Ku Klux Klan fan. 89 is probably the amount of killed people.
Cucu99 - Secret spoon position lobbist. So offensive! Sexuality shouldn't be allowed in games.
a555551a - I am sure it's an encoded message. Something like "Aza newb".

Aza404
10-29-2014, 01:39 PM

Yeah! I've decided to take offence at that and will ask Ubi to make a5 change his name!!
(being right about my noobness doesn't mean he's allowed to taunt me about it ;))

More seriously though, I understand Npavcec's position on this one though I personally don't think it's as big of a deal as some people make it out to be.
For the sake of DoC, Ubi and eSports in general, it is obviously better to avoid names that could be upsetting to people.
Moreover, lets not forget that any type of censorship over the internet on a community spanning over countless languages will be extremely complicated as most words or sounds will be insulting or censorship-material in one language or another.

...though then again, I like to think everyone is allowed to do as they please and would love to avoid tricky situations, so I would simply like to thank our newly named player for his cooperation and understanding here.

Also, hater's gonna hate.

Infernal_Wisdom
10-29-2014, 02:13 PM
First of all, don't kill virgins :( noone deserves dying without sex!!! :O

Seriously.... I would not agree to change my nickname if I were killvirgins

I would just quit the game I guess

he is disrespecting noone, his nick is not racist etc...

and I don't think he is killing virgins for real and you can call police even if he is a serial killer who is obsessed with killing virgins!!!! so changing his nick will not help about that

and for the record, I don't warship to satan for real..... Geeez....

ArgaliKabir
10-29-2014, 10:36 PM
I used to have a nickname called I love little children.

All it took was one guy with some pictures to ruin it for everyone......

Licker34
10-29-2014, 11:58 PM
Secondly even in "free" countries, there are various forms of censorship, mostly relating to hate speech. USA is weird in that they do allow hate speech. If you want to burn a cross in a black dude's front yard, like the KKK, that's free speech, and the government won't do anything against you(though trespassing and causing criminal damage to the guy's front lawn will probably be what punish you for). Try doing that outside the US, and see how fast you go to jail.

Um...

Say what now Willis?

This is simply not how it works in the US (other than Georgia and a couple other backwards hick states), but feel free to believe whatever you want.

lol..

Honestly when I saw the thread title I thought it was about him, not because the nick is offensive, but because it's annoying to say. :)

My nick is pretty stupid too for what that's worth, but at least I didn't go with licker69 ;)

ArgaliKabir
10-30-2014, 12:57 AM
While this excerpt is from wikipedia, it does cite the Supreme Court case :

In 1969, the Supreme Court protected a Ku Klux Klan member’s racist and hate-filled speech and created the ‘imminent danger’ test to permit hate speech. The court ruled in Brandenburg v. Ohio that; "The constitutional guarantees of free speech and free press do not permit a state to forbid or proscribe advocacy of the use of force, or of law violation except where such advocacy is directed to inciting imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action. Citation : Brandenburg v. Ohio, 395 U.S. 444, at 447 (1969)

This test has been modified very little from its inception in 1969 and the formulation is still good law in the United States. Only speech that poses an imminent danger of unlawful action, where the speaker has the intention to incite such action and there is the likelihood that this will be the consequence of his or her speech, may be restricted and punished by that law.

So yes, burning a cross KKK style is PROTECTED in the land of freedom, as long as it doesn't break any of the other clauses, if you argue that the act of was a form of expression regarding a certain issue.

I'm not trying to stir up anything regarding the US, just want to point out that, the USA's treatment of it is quite different to other Western countries. This is quite important to note, since the USA's concept of freedom of speech heavily influences what other people think about the concept, since people don't actually read up on the laws of their own country and just regurgitate what they see or read in the media.

To me, any name with Kill(any group of humans), while non-offensive to me, is regarded as hate speech, and thus not protected under most legislation protecting free speech.

malkorion
10-30-2014, 11:17 AM
Wow, people flip out so easily just because of a video game.
EDIT: Seriously, it's not his fault, and I doubt his name has to do anything with his beliefs.

BlackSkull.
10-30-2014, 02:42 PM
People feel ofended with killvirgins but are playing a Demon deck with Dark Assassin, Pao Deathseeker, Demented.. Lets censor everything :D

ArgaliKabir
10-30-2014, 07:27 PM
People feel ofended with killvirgins but are playing a Demon deck with Dark Assassin, Pao Deathseeker, Demented.. Lets censor everything :D

But we do censor that kind of stuff, just in a softer way. There's the MPAA ratings on movies, and ESRB rating on games. DoC has a PEGI rating of 7. Those ratings do count as a form of censorship, because if you're slapped with a R, or 18 rating, access to those products are restricted. Ggovernments only enforce the 18 rating and leave the enforcement of lower level ratings to private entities ( parents and shops).

And before you get it wrong, censorship is the control over freedom of expression or press, not solely suppression or deletion. Restricted access is a form of control.

Just because the enforcement and severity of the censorship is practically non-existent, doesn't mean it's not there.

I'm not trying to argue for or against the name change issue. However, I am annoyed by people who talk about freedom of speech without knowing that they're talking about, mainly thinking freedom of speech applies to private entities, assuming that the USA's freedom of speech policies applies to their own country - stuff like that.

Kataklysm6661
10-30-2014, 08:59 PM
Wow, this topic sure is entertaining :)

I took the decision to ask KillVirgins if he'd agree to pick another name for the R2P Finals. As many of you already said, it's just better this way for the sake of esport, DoC and Ubisoft. I'm glad that he accepted to change without drama. He definitely understood the reason ; a good quality for a - maybe - champion to be.

That being said, it's not the first time we hear of 'KillVirgins' around the office. You would be surprised to know how many complaints for 'abusive, offending, inappropriate' names we receive, and how many only because of this perticular nickname. We decided long ago to tolerate it because, as many say, it's not targetting any specifically visible group, and is not utterly vulgar (by most standards).

In the context of an official competition, and the prospect of seeing the name written everywhere if he wins, made us revise our position.

Now watch this, and imagine it lasts for like a full day, with journalists, and Ubisoft high-profile representatives in suits. Naaaah.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neQ0_wAoewU

Licker34
10-30-2014, 09:28 PM
While this excerpt is from wikipedia, it does cite the Supreme Court case :

[snip legalese]

So yes, burning a cross KKK style is PROTECTED in the land of freedom, as long as it doesn't break any of the other clauses, if you argue that the act of was a form of expression regarding a certain issue.

I'm not trying to stir up anything regarding the US, just want to point out that, the USA's treatment of it is quite different to other Western countries. This is quite important to note, since the USA's concept of freedom of speech heavily influences what other people think about the concept, since people don't actually read up on the laws of their own country and just regurgitate what they see or read in the media.

To me, any name with Kill(any group of humans), while non-offensive to me, is regarded as hate speech, and thus not protected under most legislation protecting free speech.

I'm not worried about starting anything, and I'm not offended by what you are saying. It's simply not accurate though. The case you cite says nothing of burning a cross on someone elses lawn, which was the initial example you gave.

Further, if you would look into hate-crime laws you would see exactly how these types of 'expressions' are being treated now in most states. Yes, some states still do not have hate-crime laws on their books but most do.

So by all means, bash States like Georgia or Wyoming if you wish (though even that wouldn't be completely fair).

However, let's look at one excerpt from the decision you quoted...

...except where such advocacy is directed to inciting imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action.

There's always an exception isn't there :)

BlackSkull.
10-31-2014, 03:48 AM
Now watch this, and imagine it lasts for like a full day, with journalists, and Ubisoft high-profile representatives in suits. Naaaah.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neQ0_wAoewU

I Loved to watch this *-------*

I'm sorry for every time that Ubi were constrained by my nickname, i should never expect all that repercusion and i'm a bit upset cos of this trouble.

I accepted to change my nick and i'm waiting for Ubi do this...

And i'm so excited to meet some of DoC Legends in Paris. :D

ArgaliKabir
10-31-2014, 04:04 AM
There's always the complications of federal vs state laws. However in cases where the constitution is involved, I'm under the impression the federal government will seek to get a supreme court ruling overturning whatever law or statute they're annoyed with, if they can be bothered.

The case I showcased doesn't explicitly okay burning a cross. However, it's a combination of the following : Hate speech itself being protected as freedom of expression, and freedom of expression being the actual concept, contrasting the word expression with speech. Freedom of expression is the technically correct term, as it covers non-verbal forms, whereas freedom of speech technically means written or spoken words. A funny example is that you're protected by federal law, to go topless as a woman in areas where it's illegal, if it's explicit or implicit that you are going topless in order to protest the law.

Let's say someone hates blacks. He wants to express this in the form of burning a cross in a black person's front lawn. He manages to do it without force, and doesn't say anything else, so satisfies the clause that the expression is not inciting lawless action. Thus, this form of expression is protected under federal law. Of course, what's not protected is the little issue of trespassing and property damage.

However, in many other countries, this form of expression is not protected, because it is classed as hate speech, and rather than punishing someone in a roundabout way such as trespassing and property damage, it's just straight up punished as hate speech. (Funnily enough it's called hate speech even when it's a non-verbal form of expression)

And uh.. I should note that IANAL for the record. Nor am I a citizen of the USA. I am just very annoyed that people incorrectly think that the USA's form of freedom of expression applies to other countries.

jkk89
10-31-2014, 01:32 PM

Virgins are not a "group of humans" in this reasoning, so its hard for me to imagine a nickname like that to be a subject of "hate speach". Apples and oranges.

npavcec
11-01-2014, 12:09 AM
Virgins are not a "group of humans" in this reasoning, so its hard for me to imagine a nickname like that to be a subject of "hate speach". Apples and oranges.

You wanna talk about apples and oranges? Well, the word "kill" is a verb, and amongst all on the world, one of the most controversial, strong and ugly ones. Ones nickname should be a noun, or as close as possible to it. Making a nickname in a form of Verb+Noun is, conceptually, very childish and backward. Not saying that BS aka KV is childish and backward, it is just that he choose his nickname to be like that. It may be language barrier, it may be all kinds of things, it is not even something that should arise into the topic. Irrelevant. Bottom line, too much **** has happened with hate-speech in the history of the world, that it would grant us all (DoC community) somehow immune to it and its effects, however casual and "free" the environment of the video game can be. I could go as deep as the field of neurolinguistics, but whichever scientific aproach you take, I think that it all leads to the conclusion, that in the current context of the world at large, the nickneme KV is (at least) inappropriate.

ElRayoQueNoCesa
11-01-2014, 02:29 AM
How can I change my screen name so it is not the same as my login name? I dont find that option.

Natchai_Ubisoft
11-03-2014, 11:33 AM
I believe uPlay offers that option now, though I don't know in how far it currently works for Duel of Champions ;)

ZergRusher
11-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Hilarious thread :D

Well, i have a rather high tolerance for controversial topics on the internet so i'm totally fine with KillVirgins and it's definitely not hate speech - like common are we even serious.

And in general where is the border? Many IGNs try to be funny, some are just lewd or pervert, so should we ban them? Is Ipushfatkids funny or plain wrong? D1ldoBaggins is ok or not? For me SheSaidSheWaslvl18 is hilarious. And since KillVirgins is not acceptable than i guess N00bkilla is also not ok.

Anyway i made i small compilation of some weird gaming nicknames. For me each of them is ok but i guess not everybody will agree.

Spoilers since not everybody wants to read it.

SuckedinPVPness
BenDover
Ipushfatkids
FatalComeShot
Cassive Mock / J1zzmaster / BukkakeLord
MohammedtheJew
AsstonCatcher / JustinWeaver / D1ldoBaggins
69lolis / SheSaidSheWaslvl18 / pedobear
SisterFister
DontShootImGay

Leisses
11-03-2014, 03:08 PM

I LOLed so much on these words. Then I LOLed twice on nicknames. My favourite ones are:

D1ldoBaggins
AsstonCatcher
SheSaidSheWaslvl18
Ipushfatkids
N00bkilla (I already fight this one but I'm not sure if he killed me :p)

ArgaliKabir
11-04-2014, 08:05 AM
Hilarious thread :D

Well, i have a rather high tolerance for controversial topics on the internet so i'm totally fine with KillVirgins and it's definitely not hate speech - like common are we even serious.

And in general where is the border? Many IGNs try to be funny, some are just lewd or pervert, so should we ban them? Is Ipushfatkids funny or plain wrong? D1ldoBaggins is ok or not? For me SheSaidSheWaslvl18 is hilarious. And since KillVirgins is not acceptable than i guess N00bkilla is also not ok.

Anyway i made i small compilation of some weird gaming nicknames. For me each of them is ok but i guess not everybody will agree.

SuckedinPVPness
BenDover
Ipushfatkids
FatalComeShot
Cassive Mock / J1zzmaster / BukkakeLord
MohammedtheJew
AsstonCatcher / JustinWeaver / D1ldoBaggins
69lolis / SheSaidSheWaslvl18 / pedobear
SisterFister
DontShootImGay

A lot of things depend on environment and context. Your entire list should be censored in a 7+ game, borderline in a 12+ game, and entirely fine in a 15+ game. (DoC has a PEGI 7 rating on the steam store, but I think that's ********, the game is clearly 12+ if not 15+.)

However, none of that justifies trying to bring up freedom of expression as a defense, rather than defending something on its own merit. You don't think KillVirgins is offensive nor is it hate speech - that's a valid opinion, because you put forward your view of its merit.

To be fair though, only one person brought up freedom of speech, and before my response diverted the discussion, it was just people saying if they thought the name was offensive or not, which is what it should be.

BlackSkull.
11-05-2014, 01:51 PM
I.i.i.i.its Do.do.do.do.done :nonchalance:

ArgaliKabir
11-05-2014, 03:53 PM
I.i.i.i.its Do.do.do.do.done :nonchalance:

You must be new! Welcome! XD

Schrudafruh
11-15-2014, 10:00 AM
He should have renamed as LoveVirgins.
See, no more hatred, politically correct and all, right?