PDA

View Full Version : Does Ubisoft overdo it with the marketing?

dimbismp
10-24-2014, 07:09 PM
Even though i have almost reached the maximum hype level(90%),which is great,i kinda feel that i have been spoiled about the game.Maybe not regarding the story,but i feel that maybe there wont be any surprises for me regarding landmarks,side missions etc.On the other hand,this may be my foult,as i have watched all the demos,trailers multiple times and almost all the interviews.So,i feel that both Ubi and especially myself have done a mistake.Ofc not big enough to make me not enjoy the game!!

cawatrooper9
10-24-2014, 08:22 PM
I don't know. I mean "overdo" is obviously pretty subjective. I enjoy getting regular updates on the game, but I guess I can see how it annoys some people.

hood3dassassin5
10-24-2014, 08:34 PM
Considering there's about 30 AC Unity trailers.......

Hans684
10-24-2014, 08:42 PM
For Unity, yes. For Rogue, no.

hood3dassassin5
10-24-2014, 08:44 PM
^
It seems like Rogue isn't getting ENOUGH marketing. They can't even change the ad on the forums so it includes Rogue and a pre-order button for it

Megas_Doux
10-24-2014, 08:45 PM
Yes!

And the funny thing is, Unity´s pales in comparison to what we experienced with AC III.

hood3dassassin5
10-24-2014, 08:47 PM
How many trailers did AC3 have?

STDlyMcStudpants
10-24-2014, 08:50 PM
Let me check AC sales...
Well according to this... no

Hans684
10-24-2014, 08:52 PM
^
It seems like Rogue isn't getting ENOUGH marketing. They can't even change the ad on the forums so it includes Rogue and a pre-order button for it

Indeed, Unity is the spoiled kid. The one with attention, it's all: "Look at me, I'm the captain now".

STDlyMcStudpants
10-24-2014, 09:00 PM
Indeed, Unity is the spoiled kid. The one with attention, it's all: "Look at me, I'm the captain now".

To be fair.. Rogue is just DLC and wont take nearly as much sales to make money back on... lol

Megas_Doux
10-24-2014, 09:01 PM
How many trailers did AC3 have?

I cannot recall exactly, what I remember though, is that AC III began its "strong" phase marketing WAY before Unity´s. Thing is that AC III was EVEYWHERE, tons of adds during big time events like NFL games, MLB games, "soccer" games here in Europe. Every time I deactivated the add blocker in youtube or other sites, there was an AC III commercial. There were more development videos, podscats, articles and such, as I said, the game was everywhere and the hype here, was immense.

Unity has many more new stuff to show, whereas Rogue is a cash cow that even recycles a freaking location.....

hood3dassassin5
10-24-2014, 09:09 PM
Wow, makes it seem like Unity's gonna be a repeat of AC3

Maybe that's why they delayed it 2 weeks.

Hans684
10-24-2014, 09:27 PM
Unity has more new stuff to show, whereas Rogue is a cash cow that even recycles a freaking location.....

The new spoiled kid showing itself of in front of everybody with new stuff(not meant bad buts it's true based on marketing), other that you should be happy Ubisoft hasn't made a 5 min "game" like Ground Zero, that is cash cow. Excuse, it's a prologue. I term of gameplay I can say I fully agree with you but the main reason I play AC is story and Rogues story is far more interesting.

To be fair.. Rogue is just DLC and wont take nearly as much sales to make money back on... lol

So was Brotherhood & Revelations if going to everyones words. As for sales, Ubisoft choose not to make a current gen version obviously it won't bring in big money, a bad tactic unless they do release it in the future as current gen.

Megas_Doux
10-24-2014, 09:36 PM
The new spoiled kid showing itself of in front of everybody with new stuff(not meant bad buts it's true based on marketing), other that you should be happy Ubisoft hasn't made a 5 min "game" like Ground Zero, that is cash cow. Excuse, it's a prologue. I term of gameplay I can say I fully agree with you but the main reason I play AC is story and Rogues story is far more interesting.

¨

I understand!

Thing is that to me, the story in AC is a plus, whereas the setting is my main motive to look for a game of this franchise.

Hans684
10-24-2014, 09:59 PM
¨

I understand!

Thing is that to me, the story in AC is a plus, whereas the setting is my main motive to look for a game of this franchise.

Thank you.

Must be rough for you wen time periods is similar or the same, especially if you don't like the setting.

Megas_Doux
10-24-2014, 10:08 PM
Thank you.

Must be rough for you wen time periods is similar or the same, especially if you don't like the setting.

The North Atlantic looks really nice and "refreshing" lol, but River valley and NY again do not interest me AT ALL. The story seems pretty cool, see how it ends.

SpiritOfNevaeh
10-24-2014, 10:11 PM
It doesnt look like the marketing is as heavy as AC3, so I would say no.

Farlander1991
10-25-2014, 07:16 AM
ACU's marketing is pretty mild and reserved, to be honest. At least in comparison to AC3/AC4.

AC3 marketing was huge. It was like, 'the epic conclusion to the franchise!!!', so there was new footage like every two weeks or so, tons of interviews and stuff, there was just A LOT of it. AC4 also had a lot of marketing, but it was more like, 'we've fixed AC3's problems now guys!' kind of marketing, showing how the game gathers best elements of the franchise in a 'trust us!' way.

And Unity... we actually aren't getting a lot of trailers, or demos, or online material. There's a lot of secrecy, even this close to release.

STDlyMcStudpants
10-25-2014, 07:29 AM

So was Brotherhood & Revelations if going to everyones words. As for sales, Ubisoft choose not to make a current gen version obviously it won't bring in big money, a bad tactic unless they do release it in the future as current gen.

Revelations was far from just dlc...
I'l lgive you brotherhood..
But ACR is massively under rated...

zainzombie
10-25-2014, 03:29 PM
Oh yes! they give too much away before the game comes out. Sometimes it feels like you know everything when you actually play the game. As I was not interested in another AC game last year, I didnt follow Black Flag's marketing last year at all.. Only watched the first CGI trailer and maybe one video of the gameplay demo (which i turned off in the middle). When I went into the game totally blind, it turned out to be an amazing experience. The fact that the game itself was good and I went in completely blind with no expectations, I had a lot of fun with it.

I dont agree with Ubi's style of marketing (show everything with tons of demos and trailers) but I dont agree with Rockstar's style of marketing (they are too secretive) either. Something in the middle of the two would be great.

Now I have decided to not watch any footage at all. Will only read impressions of the next (10-15 probably) trailers they will release until Unity finally releases.

LoyalACFan
10-25-2014, 03:51 PM
You know what game's marketing they REALLY went overboard on? Revelations. Dear God. They had shown us essentially the entire game up until about sequence 8 in the trailers and screenshots. There wasn't actually that much material compared to AC3, but what they did show was extremely spoilery. I feel like Unity's story is still pretty well under wraps (except maybe a certain event we all know is coming) so that's good at least. And they haven't done anything as stupid as the Gillette tie-in this year.

Ureh
10-25-2014, 06:12 PM
You know what game's marketing they REALLY went overboard on? Revelations. Dear God. They had shown us essentially the entire game up until about sequence 8 in the trailers and screenshots. There wasn't actually that much material compared to AC3, but what they did show was extremely spoilery. I feel like Unity's story is still pretty well under wraps (except maybe a certain event we all know is coming) so that's good at least. And they haven't done anything as stupid as the Gillette tie-in this year.

http://www.gameranx.com/img/14-Oct/unity-gilette.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SS6yk9f.png

You can get them for free by entering one of these codes:

Here:
https://acu-redeemcode.ubi.com/

Credit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2BW7mNIlfI

Fatal-Feit
10-25-2014, 06:16 PM
Revelations was far from just dlc...
I'l lgive you brotherhood..
But ACR is massively under rated...

I agree, it's underrated, my favorite of the trilogy, but it's also very recycled. If you compare it to AC:2, it's fine on its own, but if you compare it to AC:B, it's very recycled. It has about as much innovation as Rogue.

STDlyMcStudpants
10-25-2014, 09:43 PM
I agree, it's underrated, my favorite of the trilogy, but it's also very recycled. If you compare it to AC:2, it's fine on its own, but if you compare it to AC:B, it's very recycled. It has about as much innovation as Rogue.
Rogue they didnt even bother to mess with the hud haha

Farlander1991
10-25-2014, 09:47 PM

Neither did ACB, for that matter :p

Fatal-Feit
10-25-2014, 09:53 PM

Rogue fractured the quadrilaterals, flipped some like the weapon icons, and changed the color scheme. All Revelations did was flipped the diamonds into squares and slightly altered the color scheme. :p

Yep, just as much innovation.

RinoTheBouncer
10-25-2014, 10:58 PM
I don’t think they overdo it but I think it’s not often done in the right way. Promoting stuff that you’re not sure whether they’ll be in the game or not such as what happened with ACIII isn’t a good move and same for boasting CGI-like graphics in a Sneak Peak for AC:U that eventually turn out to look obviously not as perfect as the sneak-peak isn’t a good move either. People are aware of these things now since the W_D thing and now they’re putting Ubisoft under the magnifying glass that even when there’s no downgrade, they’ll say that there is a downgrade.

Another thing is that trailers, gameplay demos, interviews and adverts of all kinds seem to be VERY repetitive and HIGHLY focused on one or two elements, ignoring everything else. I’m not with the idea of trailers that reveal the whole plot that there won’t even be any surprises in the game, but at least change the gameplay demos, make one at day and the other at night, in a different place. Show different missions, talk about different stuff. Ubisoft sure knows that people watch every single interview whether it’s in Japan or Germany or UK or the US, and regardless of which gaming show it’s being talked about in, so I think there should be variety of reveals in those various events rather than repeating the same thing over and over and over with just one little bit of new info.

With AC:U, the whole focus is on Co-op and customization that it feels like that everything else in the game is irrelevant. So I personally feel like they’re indeed overdoing it with focusing on the new elements of the game, but the promotion in general is not too much, but it’s just not done the right way. And AC:Rogue is not getting any proper promotion from merchandise to DLC..etc.

So I really hope that in future games, just because we have a certain new feature, doesn’t mean that every interview becomes all about it.

LoyalACFan
10-26-2014, 12:28 AM
http://www.gameranx.com/img/14-Oct/unity-gilette.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SS6yk9f.png

You can get them for free by entering one of these codes:

Here:
https://acu-redeemcode.ubi.com/

Credit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2BW7mNIlfI

That's pretty lame, but I was talking about the event where if you preordered the game, you got to go onto a pirate ship and somebody would shave you with a Gillette razor, lol. I don't think this is quite as bad as that.

SixKeys
10-26-2014, 01:53 AM
That's pretty lame, but I was talking about the event where if you preordered the game, you got to go onto a pirate ship and somebody would shave you with a Gillette razor, lol. I don't think this is quite as bad as that.

Yeah, Unity's marketing has been much better compared to previous years. Still some stupid stuff, but like instead of a lame shaving event (kind of sexist) they had an actual parkour obstacle course at E3 (or Gamescom?) which is at least fitting for the game's theme.

I agree about ACR's marketing being ridiculously spoilery, but the game was rushed out in 10 months. I don't think they had time to think of a proper marketing strategy. The same seems to be true for Rogue. Even Ubisoft themselves can't seem to come up with a marketing campaign billing it as anything other than Black Flag 2.5.

I-Like-Pie45
10-26-2014, 02:07 AM
Yeah, Unity's marketing has been much better compared to previous years. Still some stupid stuff, but like instead of a lame shaving event (kind of sexist) they had an actual parkour obstacle course at E3 (or Gamescom?) which is at least fitting for the game's theme.

I agree about ACR's marketing being ridiculously spoilery, but the game was rushed out in 10 months. I don't think they had time to think of a proper marketing strategy. The same seems to be true for Rogue. Even Ubisoft themselves can't seem to come up with a marketing campaign billing it as anything other than Black Flag 2.5.

It's not like women don't have parts that can't be shaved so I don't see where the sexism is

My sister has a small lady mustache that can be shaved, for example, although she doesn't choose to do so I suppose based on this feminist revolution

Ureh
10-26-2014, 02:09 AM
Yeah I really like that short play they did... can't remember in which country. But it showed someone dressed as Arno dueling a few guys then he jumps on the table and strikes a heroic pose (like the statue in the guillotine edition). Anyone remember the youtube link to that video?!