PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed: Rogue Set To Have Only Six Sequences

Conniving_Eagle
10-16-2014, 03:45 PM
Does anyone else think this is ridiculous/outrageous?

If we're going by numbers, the "sequel" to Black Flag is only going to be half as long as Black Flag. It'll be the shortest major Assassin's Creed title to date.

I was really hyped for this game (especially after the last trailer), and I've been telling people that it won't be a let down since it was announced. But after this, I'm starting to reconsider my pre-order, because that certainly doesn't sound like a $60 well-spent. This game doesn't even have a multiplayer! [I say this because it means there's nothing to draw away the focus from developing a single player.]

Honestly, they should've given Rogue another year in the oven.

Alphacos007
10-16-2014, 03:53 PM
They never said that it'll only have six sequences, that is a rumor. Also, there are 4 or 5 sequences in AC4 that have only two missions each, those could easily be made in just one or two sequences. Even if it only has 6 sequences, doesn't mean it is short.

Hans684
10-16-2014, 03:58 PM
I'm not convinced.

Farlander1991
10-16-2014, 03:59 PM
If we're going by numbers:
AC2 - 12 sequences (original release without DLC) and 70 main memories.
AC3 - 12 sequences and 45 main memories.
ACB - 9 sequences and 53 main memories.
AC4 - 13 sequences and 45 main memories.

Sequence number means nothing. It doesn't show how many missions there are, how long they're going to be (Ezio's trilogy, for example, LOVES memories that's just a single cutscene, AC2 and ACB in particular, and AC4 has got longer missions than other games even though there's less memories technically), what is their quality. Sequences just divide the plot by approximate chapters, and that's pretty much it.

DumbGamerTag94
10-16-2014, 05:03 PM
I agree with Farlander 100% on this.

Sequences are just chapters. It means nothing. Just like with books.

Consider sequences chapters and missions pages.

Some books may have only a few longggg chapters yet have the same amount of pages as a book with many short chapters. And likewise some pages may have lots of dialogue and paragraph breaks or an illustration. While others may be a wall o text. Each page can be a different length as well.

So sequences mean absolutely nothing other than a break down of chapters.

Also you must consider that AC3 had 12 sequences, but covered over 20 years. That created a lot of gaps and time skips which was not good. Rogue in comparison may or may not only have 6 sequences. 6 sequences covering 9 years(1752-61). That leaves far less room for story gaps and will probably be a more solid detailed story line. Especially if you consider one or 2 of these chapters may span more than a year. Then that would make virtually every significant event in Shay's story of the timespan covered with virtually no time skips.

So there may be 6 main targets, 6 major events, etc. We can't say but those 6 sequences could have 60 missions between them for all we know. Which would make rogue the longest AC so far. So it's really too early to tell and sequence number tells us nothing.

MakimotoJin
10-16-2014, 05:14 PM
The devs said that the game has 20 hours of story gameplay,so we can expect at least a average story time.Also,I prefer a good story other than a long and boring one,so if it's short but well worked,I'm fine.

VestigialLlama4
10-16-2014, 08:19 PM
Personally, I think 6 sequences is a good number. I mean ROGUE is a side-game and it covers a very small bit of time. It's quite obviously going to be, like Brotherhood and Revelations(story-wise Revelations had content for what, 5 sequences at best), heavy on side content.

Alphacos007
10-16-2014, 08:41 PM
The devs said that the game has 20 hours of story gameplay,so we can expect at least a average story time.Also,I prefer a good story other than a long and boring one,so if it's short but well worked,I'm fine.

I don't really trust this though. They said Watch Dogs had 40 hours of content and 100 hours for 100%. Yet I finished it in less than 20, and made 100% in less than 40.

JustPlainQuirky
10-16-2014, 09:40 PM
If there wasn't six sequences, Ubi would come up and say it.

HoIcon
10-16-2014, 09:45 PM
If i didn't have so much to play that week this would annoy me but since there's ACU and FC4 it doesn't bother me too much if Rogue is short

Conniving_Eagle
10-16-2014, 11:27 PM
I can see both of your points. Honestly I'm really hoping you're right because I am looking forward to Rogue more than Unity. Six just seems... well, it is the lowest number we've seen. I don't mind doing side quests to make the game last longer, in fact I'm actually a completionist. I just don't want Rogue to feel like a DLC.

cawatrooper9
10-16-2014, 11:35 PM
If there wasn't six sequences, Ubi would come up and say it.

I wish they'd at least explain why, though. I highly doubt that they'd create such a rich world (from what we've seen) and waste it on an incredibly short game. I feel like there are either more sequences, or some of the sequences are really long.

GoldenBoy9999
10-17-2014, 01:49 AM
I don't think the sequences necessarily determine game length.

I personally have many games to play (with more coming this fall) so I don't want a very long game but that doesn't mean people shouldn't get their sixty dollars worth. As a side story, 20 hours seems like a good game.

HiddenKiller612
10-17-2014, 02:12 AM
If each sequence had 10 missions.... it wouldn't matter how many sequences there are. Though, we have no idea how many missions per sequence... their length or anything. Everything thus far is speculation and rumor.

rrebe
10-17-2014, 07:12 AM
I'd rather have 6 good sequences than 12 boring one.

Who knows, maybe the rumoured 6 are amazing, but as the game hasn't even been released yet I'm not going to worry about that just yet.

pirate1802
10-17-2014, 07:32 AM
Say Conniving_Eagle, are you the same one I used to see around in Bioware forums with a Liara avatar?

Regardless, Brotherhood and Revelations had a pretty small number of sequences and even they were filled with cutscene 'missions', so this number doesn't mean anything imo..

ace3001
10-17-2014, 10:34 AM
Even if it was just six sequences, that means **** all since we don't know how long a sequence is or how many missions one contains.

That said, don't be surprised if this game turns out to be relatively short. It should be obvious by now that Ubi's priority is Unity.

Fatal-Feit
10-17-2014, 11:58 AM
I can see both of your points. Honestly I'm really hoping you're right because I am looking forward to Rogue more than Unity. Six just seems... well, it is the lowest number we've seen. I don't mind doing side quests to make the game last longer, in fact I'm actually a completionist. I just don't want Rogue to feel like a DLC.

It doubt it will be. Story-wise, Rogue's delivering a new interesting and unique narrative with Shay. Brotherhood, Revelations, and Liberation could have been, should have been 6 sequences.

As for content, Rogue should easily surpass Black Flag. The River Valley, alone, is supposedly bigger than the Caribbean. I'm expecting at least 10-20 more hours worth of gameplay than Black Flag.

Conniving_Eagle
10-17-2014, 12:58 PM
Say Conniving_Eagle, are you the same one I used to see around in Bioware forums with a Liara avatar?

Regardless, Brotherhood and Revelations had a pretty small number of sequences and even they were filled with cutscene 'missions', so this number doesn't mean anything imo..

The very same one. That place is lame though, and I got permanently banned (for stupid reasons). Do I know you from there, I don't recognize the username as someone from BSN.

RinoTheBouncer
10-17-2014, 01:07 PM
I do believe it could be pretty short, but maybe they’ll have more missions per sequence or perhaps the modern day missions are considered separate sequences as the trophy list that shows the game has only 6 sequences actually has 3-4 trophies for modern day missions and there’s also one thing you could be missing which is that there’s a trophy for sequence 6 then there’s one for finishing the game, so that means there are 7 sequences not 6.

It’s still shorter than others from the looks of it, but I hope it’s a short and a merry one rather than a long and a boring one. So far, only ACII is long and entertaining. The rest have so many pointless missions and ACIV:BF basically had the final sequence a cutscene only which felt like cheating, haha.

“A short life and a merry one” Robert (The Sage), ACIV:BF

Farlander1991
10-17-2014, 01:48 PM
So far, only ACII is long and entertaining. The rest have so many pointless missions

Do you want me to list all the filler mission ACII has got? :p Or how it's got pointlessly short missions that could as well be one long?

For example, the first three missions of ACII (fight on the bridge, going to the Doctor and then racing the brother to the title screen) would be all a part of a single mission in a game like AC4.
Here's the structure of ACII first three missions:
Memory 1. Fight, then fight more.
Memory 2. Follow brother from point A to point B.
Memory 3. Race brother from point A to point B.

And there's lots of this stuff in ACII that makes the mission count rise up a lot (though it doesn't mean there aren't substantial missions). But here's the structure of Lively Havana:
Memory 1. Follow Bonnet from point A to point B, climb building, catch thief, go to target point, fight, escape.

And ACII has got plenty of filler. The whole Arsenale sequence is poorly scripted filler. We've got to rescue people from cages four times (one for main character and three for auxillary mercs), which maybe would've been fine hadn't we done the exact same thing with the thieves a few sequences back. And the assassination mission is linear and scripted as hell.

I can go on. I know you love ACII with a passion, so I'm not going to delve to deep into this (heck, I think ACII is pretty great), but ACII can be very flawed mission-wise and structure-wise (don't make me start on the Carnevale sequence, that's just plain ******** from the plot perspective :p ).

RinoTheBouncer
10-17-2014, 01:56 PM
Do you want me to list all the filler mission ACII has got? :p Or how it's got pointlessly short missions that could as well be one long?

For example, the first three missions of ACII (fight on the bridge, going to the Doctor and then racing the brother to the title screen) would be all a part of a single mission in a game like AC4.
Here's the structure of ACII first three missions:
Memory 1. Fight, then fight more.
Memory 2. Follow brother from point A to point B.
Memory 3. Race brother from point A to point B.

And there's lots of this stuff in ACII that makes the mission count rise up a lot (though it doesn't mean there aren't substantial missions). But here's the structure of Lively Havana:
Memory 1. Follow Bonnet from point A to point B, climb building, catch thief, go to target point, fight, escape.

And ACII has got plenty of filler. The whole Arsenale sequence is poorly scripted filler. We've got to rescue people from cages four times (one for main character and three for auxillary mercs), which maybe would've been fine hadn't we done the exact same thing with the thieves a few sequences back. And the assassination mission is linear and scripted as hell.

I can go on. I know you love ACII with a passion, so I'm not going to delve to deep into this (heck, I think ACII is pretty great), but ACII can be very flawed mission-wise and structure-wise (don't make me start on the Carnevale sequence, that's just plain ******** from the plot perspective :p ).

Of course, ACII did have it’s share of EXTREMELY POINTLESS side missions in addition to those you mentioned, but to me, the story and the character and the evolution from ACI to ACII in terms of world and gameplay and the whole modern day thing and meeting Minerva in the end, it all eclipsed over any negative thing and I do admit a bit of bias, but I think the bias came from elements that I truly did enjoy while others might have had much less of those negative elements, Ezio’s trilogy had the elements that I truly wanted to see, so everything negative kind a faded away.

It’s like you’re going out to the mall without any problems and coming home without buying much stuff or doing anything so remarkable. It’s not a bad day, it has no bad things but compare it to a day where you go see a singer you love live and that singer takes you backstage, but all that after so much tiresome waiting and perhaps a lot of delays in transportation from and to the venue. You’ll get home really tied but then you say “It was a DAMN AWESOME DAY!”, at least that’s how I felt after Madonna held my hand at the MDNA Tour :P