PDA

View Full Version : My interview with AC Rogue producer Ivan Balabanov

loomer979
10-15-2014, 08:05 PM
Thanks to everyone who submitted/voted on questions. Sorry so many of the more interesting ones got stonewalled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QghXzjY-c4

Question timestamps (clickable in the YouTube video description):
0:00 - Modern Day in Rogue
1:24 - How long is Rogue's campaign?
2:15 - DLC?
2:30 - Are Anne Bonney and Shay related?
2:48 - Shay and the Forsaken novel
4:00 - Historical characters in Rogue
4:36 - Assassin and Templar HQ
5:21 - Who is writing Rogue? Who is composing Rogue? Who plays Shay?
6:02 - Will the Assassin's be portrayed negatively?
7:30 - How long was Rogue in development?
8:38 - Thoughts on similarities to Black Flag
11:52 - PC / PS4 / Xbox One release?
12:45 - Multiplayer elements and lack of multiplayer in Rogue
14:36 - Are there outfits for Shay with a hood?

I have played all of sequences 3 and 5 of AC Rogue so if you have any questions feel free to leave them here or in the video comments.

Regarding the modern day, I did see a disabled game menu option to quit to the Animus workstation with a picture of an Abstergo Entertainment workstation like AC4 (but colored red/orange) so it seems likely that the modern day has us returning to a setup similar to AC4.

ModernWaffle
10-15-2014, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the interview Loomer and for trying to push for more detailed answers from Balabanov :D

Too bad about the lack of information they can reveal at this point, but it was still interesting in parts. Did you say an assassin enemy can kill you in one hit if they counter you? Were you on low health, or can they take out the player even if they have max health, would be a nice new challenging aspect of combat if this was true.

Fatal-Feit
10-15-2014, 08:34 PM
Oh snap, Assassins can one-hit K-O you with counter, apparently.

GunnerGalactico
10-15-2014, 08:41 PM
And here I thought that Shay would still be able to "fight" like an Assassin.

cawatrooper9
10-15-2014, 08:44 PM
What can you tell us about sequences 3 and 5?

loomer979
10-15-2014, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the interview Loomer and for trying to push for more detailed answers from Balabanov :D

Too bad about the lack of information they can reveal at this point, but it was still interesting in parts. Did you say an assassin enemy can kill you in one hit if they counter you? Were you on low health, or can they take out the player even if they have max health, would be a nice new challenging aspect of combat if this was true.

Pretty sure I was at full or near full health. As far as I can tell it happens if you kind of just mash the attack button against them mindlessly. I think it's avoidable once you know about it.

Note that I'm talking about the full-fledged assassin enemy types here... gang leaders and such. There are also stalkers which are easier to take out. If you don't take the stalkers out right away they'll ambush you from their hiding spot and quasi-assassinate you (not completely, but enough to make your screen flicker red) before running away.

EmbodyingSeven5
10-15-2014, 09:02 PM
cool! thanks loomer!! wish they could give out more info. kind of happy that they are keeping MD quiet............ I hope they surprise me!

http://api.ning.com/files/XHWtO-haK-QVsRNI8dqN91MnoUtcu521IA3uVLeY52vh3HJsYqtvCg7TY1xY j3sELY1MQ1wyFYqrN06tJCGehg__/Surprise.jpg

EmbodyingSeven5
10-15-2014, 09:06 PM
Pretty sure I was at full or near full health. As far as I can tell it happens if you kind of just mash the attack button against them mindlessly. I think it's avoidable once you know about it.

Note that I'm talking about the full-fledged assassin enemy types here... gang leaders and such. There are also stalkers which are easier to take out. If you don't take the stalkers out right away they'll ambush you from their hiding spot and quasi-assassinate you (not completely, but enough to make your screen flicker red) before running away.

what kind of assassins AI will we deal with? are they the same or varied like guards

ShoryukenMan
10-15-2014, 09:07 PM
About how long did it take you to finish sequences 3 and 5? That might give us an idea of how long the story is.

MakimotoJin
10-15-2014, 09:07 PM
Damn,I wanted to know who's the music composer of Rogue...
Also,good to know that they made some badasses templar outfits....and the HOODS!Yeah!

Kaschra
10-15-2014, 09:11 PM
Who is Shay's voice actor? I didn't catch it. Steven...?

loomer979
10-15-2014, 09:15 PM
Who is Shay's voice actor? I didn't catch it. Steven...?

Steven Piovesan. Seems relatively unknown.

Kaschra
10-15-2014, 09:16 PM
Steven Piovesan. Seems relatively unknown.
Thanks!

loomer979
10-15-2014, 09:16 PM
Damn,I wanted to know who's the music composer of Rogue...
Also,good to know that they made some badasses templar outfits....and the HOODS!Yeah!

I'm still working on getting the composer info. From what I understand it might just be somebody local in Sofia.

One of the templar outfits is an 11th century one (think AC1) :)

Kaschra
10-15-2014, 09:25 PM
Loomer, you played Sequence 3 and 5. What did you think of Shay? Did you like him? :)

EmbodyingSeven5
10-15-2014, 09:30 PM
I'm still working on getting the composer info. From what I understand it might just be somebody local in Sofia.

One of the templar outfits is an 11th century one (think AC1) :)

any info on assassin types?

loomer979
10-15-2014, 09:37 PM
Loomer, you played Sequence 3 and 5. What did you think of Shay? Did you like him? :)

Yeah I really did. He seems kind and maybe a little naive (so maybe a more charismatic Connor in a way), but also very conflicted. Very interested to see his story play out in its entirety.

JustPlainQuirky
10-15-2014, 09:37 PM
Oh god. These answers.

http://images.wisegeek.com/man-laughing.jpg

Ivan why are you even here if you're not going to answer anything?

Only thing we got out of him was the actor name and the dude aint even got a twitter *scoffs*

But thanks loomies :o

And ofc im half-joking. I don't mean anything bad by it Ivan <3

loomer979
10-15-2014, 09:39 PM
any info on assassin types?

Assassin outfit types? Mainly his training robes from early in the game, and then a few returning outfits from AC4 (dark outfit, hunting/crafted outfits, etc). They put more effort into the Templar outfits.

Kaschra
10-15-2014, 09:41 PM
Yeah I really did. He seems kind and maybe a little naive (so maybe a more charismatic Connor in a way), but also very conflicted. Very interested to see his story play out in its entirety.
Thank you, I was hoping for something like this. Shay sounds really promising :)

Namikaze_17
10-15-2014, 10:07 PM
I'll try to find any information about Steven...

He sounds nice. :)

And great interview as always Loomer. ;)

MakimotoJin
10-15-2014, 10:10 PM
Assassin outfit types? Mainly his training robes from early in the game, and then a few returning outfits from AC4 (dark outfit, hunting/crafted outfits, etc). They put more effort into the Templar outfits.

If it has as much outfits as AC4 has,I'm happy enough.

EmbodyingSeven5
10-15-2014, 10:10 PM

thanks but I meant assassin enemy types ( with robes :nonchalance:) are they varied in skill or tactics?

or are they like rehashed captain enemy types from AC 4

MakimotoJin
10-15-2014, 10:15 PM
thanks but I meant assassin enemy types ( with robes :nonchalance:) are they varied in skill or tactics?

Apparently they can counter-kill you if you spam the attack button.That's scary.

EmbodyingSeven5
10-15-2014, 10:19 PM
Apparently they can counter-kill you if you spam the attack button.That's scary.

that sounds interesting.......

does that happen if you knock away their sword and start hitting them. or only of you mash while they block?

loomer979
10-15-2014, 10:21 PM

They mainly seem to be the "stalker" and "full assassin" (not sure what the official name is) types I described earlier. Neither is very similar to past enemy types. Maybe the stalkers are a little similar to the natives guarding the observatory in AC4.

Alphacos007
10-15-2014, 10:23 PM
Nice interview, I actually had fun watching it and even though we didn't get many answers, it managed to get me a little more hyped. Thanks for the interview man, all your videos are awesome.

Just a question, you said that you played through the sequences 3 and 5 completely. How much time did it take for you to do that?

EmbodyingSeven5
10-15-2014, 10:29 PM
They mainly seem to be the "stalker" and "full assassin" (not sure what the official name is) types I described earlier. Neither is very similar to past enemy types. Maybe the stalkers are a little similar to the natives guarding the observatory in AC4.
so do assassins require new strategies to take down?
and I think were getting more answers from you then the interview lol

who-can-i-be
10-15-2014, 10:39 PM
So I found Steven Piovesan's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/steven.piovesan
He seems to be a bit of a geek and actually had Shay as his profile picture for a time before he replaced it with Darth Vader. His only other credit (courtesy of IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm6806707/bio?mode=desktop&ref_=m_ft_dsk)) is a short Canadian Drama named "Meat", scheduled for 2015. What do you think? He certainly sounds great! I think he'll do well as Shay.

loomer979
10-15-2014, 10:50 PM
Nice interview, I actually had fun watching it and even though we didn't get many answers, it managed to get me a little more hyped. Thanks for the interview man, all your videos are awesome.

Just a question, you said that you played through the sequences 3 and 5 completely. How much time did it take for you to do that?

Sequences felt like a normal length... maybe 60-90 minutes? Several memories in each.

loomer979
10-15-2014, 10:52 PM
What can you tell us about sequences 3 and 5?

Sequence 3 is in New York and is where you meet a lot of historical characters and learn how to take down gang headquarters. Has a lot of an AC3 feel to it.

Sequence 5 has you hunting assassins in the North Atlantic, has more of an AC4 feel mixed with its own unique scenery.

SpiritOfNevaeh
10-15-2014, 10:52 PM
Damn, no Connor questions, huh? :rolleyes:

Ah well, good job as always Loomz ;)

Alphacos007
10-15-2014, 10:55 PM
Sequences felt like a normal length... maybe 60-90 minutes? Several memories in each.

You meant 60-90 minutes for each, right? Or was that for both?

loomer979
10-15-2014, 11:02 PM
You meant 60-90 minutes for each, right? Or was that for both?

each

loomer979
10-15-2014, 11:03 PM
Damn, no Connor questions, huh? :rolleyes:

Ah well, good job as always Loomz ;)

Yeah I ended up skipping the Connor question. The first few questions made it clear that it would have been a waste of time haha. Plus, if he is in the game... wouldn't most of you want to be surprised?

Alphacos007
10-15-2014, 11:05 PM
each

Oh nice, thanks for the answer ;)

ModernWaffle
10-15-2014, 11:15 PM

Cheers for the answer.

Seems Rogue is shaping up quite nicely. As for the stalkers...'gotta catch 'em all' :p

JustPlainQuirky
10-15-2014, 11:18 PM
Wait wtf.

If there's only 6 sequences why would the devs let people play sequence 5?

MontrossXGMR
10-15-2014, 11:22 PM
How are the graphics? I know it wont look quite as good as Black Flag on PS4/X1 but hopefully it is better than AC3 visuals right?

SixKeys
10-15-2014, 11:33 PM
Sequence 3 is in New York and is where you meet a lot of historical characters and learn how to take down gang headquarters. Has a lot of an AC3 feel to it.

In what way? You mean linear?

Do you think the game has more than 6 sequences? Like when you played sequence 5, did it feel like you were close to the game's ending?

Did you find out who the composer is for the soundtrack?

JustPlainQuirky
10-15-2014, 11:39 PM
Yeah I ended up skipping the Connor question. The first few questions made it clear that it would have been a waste of time haha. Plus, if he is in the game... wouldn't most of you want to be surprised?

No.

SpiritOfNevaeh
10-15-2014, 11:50 PM

Touche, Loomz, touche :p

No.

:rolleyes:

pacmanate
10-15-2014, 11:52 PM
Wowwww nice dodging around the questions.

Which gives me doubt.

Why not just SAY there are more than 6 sequences.

JustPlainQuirky
10-15-2014, 11:56 PM
Im guessing Ivan was not briefed at all in what to say.

It's a shame really.

I mean, these questions are visible ahead of time.

Ubi should be more prepared to answer these questions.

YazX_
10-15-2014, 11:59 PM
Thx loomer, great interview and very interesting.

souNdwAve89
10-16-2014, 02:16 AM
lol, this interview reminds me of your interview with Corey May during the promotion of AC3, where he couldn't answer most of the questions. This was still a nice interview though.

SixKeys
10-16-2014, 12:15 PM
How is it that they still can't announce the composer one month from the release? That's ridiculous.

Mr_Shade
10-16-2014, 12:59 PM
Thanks as always Loomer ;)

Z0mbieB0y
10-16-2014, 03:48 PM
Hey Loomer!

Since you played sequence 5 and we all know what happens in it, are final words in memory corridors are still present in Rogue or is it like Unity?

cawatrooper9
10-16-2014, 06:45 PM
Rogue is an "evolution" while Unity is "Revolution". I like that.

Though it worries me a bit that he dodges the "six sequences" question.

MakimotoJin
10-16-2014, 07:46 PM
Rogue is an "evolution" while Unity is "Revolution". I like that.

Though it worries me a bit that he dodges the "six sequences" question.

There was probably a guy aiming a gun at the Ivan's face off-camera saying "don't talk too much"

Frank9182011
10-16-2014, 08:00 PM
Loomer, did you get to do any free-roaming at all? Was there any ambient music during this? I have an irrational concern that, since we're making a quasi-return to AC3's setting, ambient music during free-roam will disappear again.

thewhitestig
10-16-2014, 08:46 PM
No comment. No comment. No comment. What a wonderful interview.

Shahkulu101
10-16-2014, 09:14 PM
Loomer, did you get to do any free-roaming at all? Was there any ambient music during this? I have an irrational concern that, since we're making a quasi-return to AC3's setting, ambient music during free-roam will disappear again.

In the comments section of the YT video Loomer answered this question - he didn't hear any ambient music in New York unfortunately...

loomer979
10-16-2014, 10:26 PM
Hey Loomer!

Since you played sequence 5 and we all know what happens in it, are final words in memory corridors are still present in Rogue or is it like Unity?

There are memory corridors after assassinations in Rogue. I wasn't aware that had changed for Unity.

JustPlainQuirky
10-16-2014, 10:30 PM
Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

What kind of interview can we expect next and when? (▽`ʃƪ)

cawatrooper9
10-16-2014, 10:37 PM
There are memory corridors after assassinations in Rogue. I wasn't aware that had changed for Unity.

Yeah, apparently we get more of a "life flash before your eyes" type thing during assassinations- you can see an example in the Gamescon video.

SlyTrooper
10-16-2014, 10:40 PM
What are the textures in the game like, Loomer? I don't necessarily have a problem with graphics, but I noticed in video that they look a bit flat. Also, is there a lot of pop-in?

GoldenBoy9999
10-17-2014, 03:07 AM
There was probably a guy aiming a gun at the Ivan's face off-camera saying "don't talk too much"

Lol, yeah probably. Maybe that's why loomer was laughing so much.

loomer979
10-17-2014, 04:34 AM
Lol, yeah probably. Maybe that's why loomer was laughing so much.

There was indeed someone from PR just off camera haha. She didn't really stop any of Ivan's answers though... if anything Ivan was being more restrictive than necessary (whether out of caution or a desire to have players go into Rogue completely unspoiled I don't know). Laughing was mainly me internally thinking "holy crap this interview is crashing and burning"... I didn't expect him to stonewall as much as he did on the first few questions. Luckily things opened up a little later I think haha.

What are the textures in the game like, Loomer? I don't necessarily have a problem with graphics, but I noticed in video that they look a bit flat. Also, is there a lot of pop-in?

A little hard to gauge since I played AC4 on PS4. Honestly the game looked fine to me.. on par with AC3 or AC4. Nothing that ever detracted me from the game. Some of the north atlantic areas and the ice reflections in particular look really nice.

EscoBlades
10-17-2014, 01:23 PM
Great video Loomer as always :)

GoldenBoy9999
10-17-2014, 01:46 PM
Hey loomer, my question on the poll was improvements to the River Valley. I was just wondering if you saw any differences in the sequences you played or anything that stood out. Also, were there any large forests or was it all little locations?

If you could answer this, thanks, because the nature parts are one of my favorite AC features. It's looking great so far.

Z0mbieB0y
10-17-2014, 02:21 PM

Well, in the Gamescom demo after Sivert gets stabbed, there's a flashback! So I thought that's how they replaced final conversations.

SlyTrooper
10-17-2014, 03:28 PM
Loomer, can you describe some of the outfits that you saw?

naumaan
10-18-2014, 04:29 AM
interesting ..

SNAKE_cro_mgs
11-05-2014, 08:58 PM
Please can someone tell me is the ALTAIR OUTFIT in game?

Or at least this outfit from the cinematic trailer. It looks a lot like Altair's.
http://s11.postimg.org/kxdvv174z/Untitled.jpg

rob1990312
11-05-2014, 09:14 PM
It still annoys me that the couldnt get someone irish to do shays voice acting

Funkinhouser
11-06-2014, 09:17 AM
Wow so Rouge is only out in PS3?? not PS4?? Then how come microsoft are releasing it on their XBOX1?? Go figure

I guess hang onto your PS 3 boys. ;)

Fatal-Feit
11-06-2014, 09:21 AM
Wow so Rouge is only out in PS3?? not PS4?? Then how come microsoft are releasing it on their XBOX1?? Go figure

It's not coming out for the X1, just PS3, 360, and PC.

pirate1802
11-06-2014, 09:27 AM

-___-

Pr0metheus 1962
11-06-2014, 09:29 AM
I cancelled my pre-order pretty much based on this interview. Ivan Balabanov seems way too cagey about the game, especially regarding game length. I'm going to see what the buzz is a few days after it hits the shelves to see if it's worth my dropping $60 on it.