PDA

View Full Version : Questions of a starter...

XyZspineZyX
07-24-2003, 07:35 PM
Hi there,

after practising with the Yak3 and scoring fine in MP im trying to figure some things out:
-How does the Prop Pitch work, does a low % make you fly faster or is it vice versa?
-What does a Supercharger do?
-What does a Magneto do, wich settings ( Magneto 1+2, 1, 2 etc..)
- You can lock your tailwheel, whats the use of such an option, does it make you lift off faster?
- Whats the use of the Mixture option?
-I heard one must charge up the K4s MW50 when your Idle, is this true?

I would really appriciate it if someone cleard up these issius for me.

XyZspineZyX
07-24-2003, 07:35 PM
Hi there,

after practising with the Yak3 and scoring fine in MP im trying to figure some things out:
-How does the Prop Pitch work, does a low % make you fly faster or is it vice versa?
-What does a Supercharger do?
-What does a Magneto do, wich settings ( Magneto 1+2, 1, 2 etc..)
- You can lock your tailwheel, whats the use of such an option, does it make you lift off faster?
- Whats the use of the Mixture option?
-I heard one must charge up the K4s MW50 when your Idle, is this true?

I would really appriciate it if someone cleard up these issius for me.

XyZspineZyX
07-24-2003, 08:11 PM
Go to:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/Tailspin/index.htm

Basics> Pre-combat skills> Engine management and then in the text click Complex Engine Management.
That should cover the basics for FB.

Also visit Pelican's Perch for a better understanding of prop pitch, mixture, superchargers, etc.

And read up dagnabbit! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif Plenty of good books out there.

XyZspineZyX
07-24-2003, 08:13 PM
I'll answer what I can but I am by no means an ace so some may be wrong.

--How does the Prop Pitch work, does a low % make you fly faster or is it vice versa?

As I understand it, the higher % of prop pitch gives u more power but also uses more fuel. So for me the higher end prop pitch settings are used for combat and lower end for getting to the target after reaching my desired altitude.

--What does a Supercharger do?

Not exactly sure on this one but I think it gives you more power at higher alt.

--What does a Magneto do, wich settings ( Magneto 1+2, 1, 2 etc..)

Good question/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif .

-- You can lock your tailwheel, whats the use of such an option, does it make you lift off faster?

I think this helps keep your plane going straight on takeoff when there are crosswinds and such.

-- Whats the use of the Mixture option?

The higher up you go the less mixture you need, if you have too high a mixture at high altitude you lose performance, this is all I know.

--I heard one must charge up the K4s MW50 when your Idle, is this true?

As I understand it you need to engage the MW50 under 60% throttle otherwise risk damaging your engine.

Hope some of this jargin helps!

XyZspineZyX
07-25-2003, 07:40 AM
Thanks for your replays , especially the link was usefull.
There is one more thing i dont understand that well, thats trimming to make a stable gun platform. For example trimming the nose down will not make it stable , because the nose keeps going down, so one must counter trim the nose up.
I experimented with this and couldt find the right number of trim clicks, the plane still is unstable...

XyZspineZyX
07-25-2003, 08:04 AM
trim so the plane flies level "hands off" at your combat speed

this is particularly important if you have a softened joystick proile

XyZspineZyX
07-25-2003, 08:07 AM
--How does the Prop Pitch work, does a low % make you fly faster or is it vice versa?

Pitch of the propellar. Depending on the pitch/angel of the propellar it will "bite" more air.
Like when swimming. Depending on the angel of your hands you drive your body forward with different speeds (bad example).
In IL-2 100% means low pitch i.e. the thrust forward isn't very hard and the load on the engine is low.
Only reason to change speed in russian ac is to save fuel. Otherwise just stay with 100%.

--What does a Supercharger do?

It compresses the air which is important at higher altitude where the density is lower.

--What does a Magneto do, wich settings ( Magneto 1+2, 1, 2 etc..)
Magnetos are powerswitches kinda. No use for them in the current build of this game. Maybe in the patch. I dunno.
It's very much like twitching the starter in your car one notch to turn the power on.

-- You can lock your tailwheel, whats the use of such an option, does it make you lift off faster?
Locking tailwheel will make your plane go somewhat more straight when taking off.
It counteracts the torque some.
The difference is small but noticable.
DON'T have locked tailwheel when landing though. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

-- Whats the use of the Mixture option?
It's mixture between air and fuel. There's an optimal setting for each engine to run smooth and nice.
120% is a rich mixture meaning the mixture is rich of fuel.
An example. When taking off u'd normaly like to have 100% pitch and 120% mixture for max power.
But when u reach higher altitudes where the air density is lower the mix will be unbalanced and there will be too much fuel. This will cause the engine to run bad and to flood.

Try going to 4 000 mts and set engine to 120% mixture and supercharger stage 1.
Your engine will loose power and start to smoke and sound weird.
Then switch to 80% fuelmix and supercharger stage 2.

--I heard one must charge up the K4s MW50 when your Idle, is this true?

I have no clue about this one.

Here u can find very good info on CEM (Complex Engine Management):
http://www.mudmovers.com/Sims/FB/fb_cem.htm

And on your CD no. 2 u got a document in which u can find detailed info on each plane in the game.
There u can find at which altitude u should switch to Supercharger stage 2, what proppitch is best for what type of flying (power/economic/fuel saving).

Good luck. CEM really adds to flying.

<table width="100%" border="0" align="center">
<tr>
<td colspan="2"><hr></td>
<td rowspan="2"><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="1">http://members.chello.se/ven/duck.jpg</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="43%"><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="1">Rubber Ducky, joy of joys,
When I squeeze you, you make noise!
Rubber Ducky, you're my very best friend,
it's true!

Rubber Ducky, you're the one,
You make bathtime lots of fun,
Rubber Ducky, I'm awfully fond of you.</font>
</td>
<td width="36%"><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="1">Every day when I
make my way to the tubby
I find a little fella who's
Cute and yellow and chubby

Rubber Ducky, you're so fine
And I'm lucky that you're mine
Rubber ducky, I'm awfully fond of you.</font></td>
</tr>
</table>

XyZspineZyX
07-25-2003, 08:13 AM
Skyhawk44 wrote:
- Thanks for your replays , especially the link was
- usefull.
- There is one more thing i dont understand that well,
- thats trimming to make a stable gun platform. For
- example trimming the nose down will not make it
- stable , because the nose keeps going down, so one
- must counter trim the nose up.
- I experimented with this and couldt find the right
- number of trim clicks, the plane still is
- unstable...

Amount of trim depends on your speed. BUT as you won't be flying at a constant speed in a dogfight you will have to set trim to a "best default" kinda.

Here's what I do. After taking off I usually tap the elevator trim down 16 times.
That's a std but not a law.
When going into a dogfight the best trimsetting is when the nose of the plane wants to rise a bit. Not too much but some. This will give you a fairly stable platform but also an edge when turning.
Before I enter a dogfight I calculate the apx. speed in which I will fly when fighting. Then I trim for that speed.

Note: I only fly allied planes. All I've written above and in the other posts might be different for axis planes.

<table width="100%" border="0" align="center">
<tr>
<td colspan="2"><hr></td>
<td rowspan="2"><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="1">http://members.chello.se/ven/duck.jpg</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="43%"><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="1">Rubber Ducky, joy of joys,
When I squeeze you, you make noise!
Rubber Ducky, you're my very best friend,
it's true!

Rubber Ducky, you're the one,
You make bathtime lots of fun,
Rubber Ducky, I'm awfully fond of you.</font>
</td>
<td width="36%"><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="1">Every day when I
make my way to the tubby
I find a little fella who's
Cute and yellow and chubby

Rubber Ducky, you're so fine
And I'm lucky that you're mine
Rubber ducky, I'm awfully fond of you.</font></td>
</tr>
</table>