PDA

View Full Version : Far Cry 4 Exclusive Inteview with Alex Hutchinson with new PS4

Fallen-Champ
10-14-2014, 05:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGaMeHT2LN8

cevys
10-14-2014, 06:16 PM
Wow, at 7:45 he says we can share maps across platforms! :cool: that's new.

Fallen-Champ
10-14-2014, 06:45 PM

This could be the best thing ever providing the MP works well and we can Host our maps with some fine options but I am concerned and can't wait to hear how it works.

How could a PC map with lots of extras ever work on an older console ? The PC usually has no grid limit to how many items it can handle in a single grid square.
If this works then it will really help everyone in the map making community because we can all share no matter what platform - that would be the coolest thing ever.

truesurv1val
10-14-2014, 06:57 PM
that's cool!...but just thinking....i hope not between old & new gen...coz if so...that means that new gen editor is limited to fit the old gen editor

btw poor alex must go crazy with everytime these same questions :D

Fallen-Champ
10-14-2014, 07:28 PM
that's cool!...but just thinking....i hope not between old & new gen...coz if so...that means that new gen editor is limited to fit the old gen editor

Maybe they have a setting that detects items per grid limit and once you hit that it won't allow you to place anything else in.
So every map should work on PC but for PC or XB1 / PS4 to get a map working on 360 / PS3 they might have to make something which is possibly downgraded to what that platform can handle (just guessing here)

I hope that XB1 and PS4 have a bigger allowance than the older consoles, now people will be pushing boundaries and sharing more - this could bring the community together like nothing before.

anonamix
10-14-2014, 08:20 PM
WOW! That is a dream come true. There have been so many great maps from great map makers that I have always wanted to check out from other platforms.. Now I can?! Very nice.

I was hoping that the next gen consoles would be less restricted with map editor and a little more similar to the PC's editor. With this news, I wonder if the editor across all platforms will be limited to what the 360 is capable of.

usmovers_02
10-14-2014, 08:33 PM

This is actually a REALLY huge deal for me. I've said I believe in credit where credit is due so massive points for Ubisoft here. If we get the rest of the things were asking for then I may buy two copies day one (PC X1).

Fallen-Champ
10-15-2014, 10:25 PM

I just listened to that again, maybe the wording "share maps across platforms" could just mean that all platforms allow others to share maps for their respective platform, or as you said it could also be share maps on all platforms which I would word as cross platform sharing.

I am not going to get my hopes up for this yet although a Golf Game recently allowed golf courses that were created in the editor to be shared on other platforms, until this is confirmed I am not going to get too excited although if it happens it will be one of the best things yet in a Far Cry game.

legacyzero
10-16-2014, 04:00 AM
HOLYYYY CRAP.

Cross platform sharing would be a MEGATON. Or a terrible idea. One or the other. I just hope that cross platform sharing doesn't limit the editor in unreasonable ways. I really wish we could hear about this already....

JedMosley81
10-16-2014, 04:09 AM

Would be great, as long as you aren't mixing new gen with last gen. PS4-XBONE-PC map sharing would be rad!!.

legacyzero
10-17-2014, 02:07 AM
My guess for cross platform its 360 and ps3 separate from XBOX1,PS4,PC.

This sounds most logical to me. Considering the newer consoles carry 8GB of ram, I don't see them gimping the Editor TOO much. Least I hope they dont.

Fallen-Champ
10-17-2014, 03:02 PM
But then others can take your map and add more once its on them consoles or pc to up the credits.

They should have given us an option to Fully Lock our maps if we wanted to, GearHead the first Com Dev on FC3 who left half way through said we were getting that option but it never happened, there is nothing worse than spending a long time making a map to find that someone else has downloaded it, Maybe changed the name and screen shot but nothing else then hosted the hell out of it and claimed it as their own - and although the original authors name is water marked on the map it makes very little difference IMO.

I really hope they listen and give this option in FC5 - how hard would it be to an an option Fully Lock Map Y/N - When fully locked it can't be opened by anyone else in the editor except the original author.

HorTyS
10-24-2014, 01:26 AM
Well I got on twitter yet again today and spammed Alex 4 tweets asking server browser and dedicated servers and public hosting lobbies and playlist of 9 maps. Also asked if we can publish ai,animals,vehicles in the multiplayer map editor. Since there's a chance we get two editors. Multiplayer one versus the story mode editor with co-op.

The potential that this game may have an editor that allows us to create and publish outposts is the aspect of the mp/ME component I'm most interested in! I so hope that is the case!!!

WniO
10-24-2014, 05:25 AM
Its kinda cute you guys think there will be two separate editors. Or for that matter a working MP.

HorTyS
10-24-2014, 05:50 AM
Its kinda cute you guys think there will be two separate editors. Or for that matter a working MP.

I don't think it has 2 separate editors, I just hope that you can make AI populated outposts with the editor. FALLENCHAMP posted pics of a magazine article in another thread with editor info and if anything it sounded more like you couldn't make mp maps with it, which honestly is pretty weird. And i've said nothing to imply i think it'll have "working mp" i mean, i think it'll work, technically, but I don't think it'll be very good... but theres no way for any of us to know that, one way or the other, so....

Fallen-Champ
10-24-2014, 07:10 AM
FALLENCHAMP posted pics of a magazine article in another thread with editor info and if anything it sounded more like you couldn't make mp maps with it

To me it sounded staged, the guy been shown was not into editing maps and they basically showed him how quick something can be put together with working A.I. - a Single Player mission style map, that is how I read the article.
The guy been shown was blown away and then had a go himself, his time will have been brief no doubt so they could have shown him just what they wanted him to see.
Maybe they showed him more and said here is a Non Disclosure Agreement sign here, they could have given him a scoop for the magazine for a later date and said keep your moyrg shut until then - who knows.

But hey come on that would be as big as the lobby situation in FC3 if they don't allow us to make MP / PVP maps, would they do that - I hope not but anythings possible I guess.

WniO what's the issue here - how come you are getting big into slating guys on here ? What have they done to you.
I hear your big into Escape Maps and make some good ones, lets hope that FC4 allows you to carry those on as FC2 did (I make some myself) but there is no need to keep digging at us guys with little comments, Maybe they are in jest but it looks to me like your taking the piss - Fair enough but what have we done - We are just trying to get some info and hoping that we can play the game and make stuff in the same way that you are.

WniO
10-24-2014, 07:17 AM
Its not vs the forum members trust me... but this is the same pattern as FC3, almost down to a T, from the information that they have given us. I am not posting very well mind you /// so that is my fault.

HorTyS
10-24-2014, 07:34 AM
I found what looks to be a full transcript of the map editor article on reddit

We keep coming back to ‘the anecdote factory’. It’s how one glowing review described Far Cry 3, and the phrase has become a touchstone for the Ubisoft development team now working on Far Cry 4. Creative director Alex Hutchinson and game director Patrik Methe both want Far Cry 4 to be a neverending ‘water cooler’ experience. The term reveals not just Ubisoft’s ambitions for Far Cry 4, but also the trajectory of the entire series since the cult hit of Far Cry 2. Back in 2008, that game, under the direction of Clint Hocking, generated a handful of memorable, beloved moments for everyone who played it. A new model for fire propagation, jam-prone weaponry, a mild case of malaria, and a country filled with mercenaries and militias all combined to create harrowing and frequently tragicomic combat.

Far Cry 3 increased the player’s power by getting rid of the gun jams and the malaria, but also filled the world with aggressive wildlife and more reasons to interact with it. Methe, who directed Far Cry 3, tells a story about overhearing other developers swapping experiences during a lunch break outside the Ubisoft offices. As they traded anecdotes about misadventures involving crocodiles, cassowaries and pirates, he suddenly knew they had a hit on their hands. With Far Cry 4, Ubisoft is trying to create even more opportunities for interaction. In Far Cry 3, you would often find some angry animals caged up inside of outposts. If you shot the lock, you could release a justifiably outraged tiger on some hapless pirates. Now, when you find yourself without a convenient tiger to help you clear out a base full of bad guys, you can simply lob a slab of meat in their midst and hope it draws some hungry carnivores.

“At some point we came up with the idea that you end up with a steak when you skin an animal, so you can throw that to attract nearby predators,” Methe explains. “That’s an example of something we came up with to give more opportunities to the player.” Adding game mechanics like this is one way to bring the Industrial Revolution to emergent storytelling. But Ubisoft is also hoping that players will mass-produce adventures of their own. A confession: I’m not a creative PC gamer. I got sick of digging in the dirt and crafting in Terraria. I’d rather play a singleplayer shooter campaign than try to build the Enterprise in Minecraft. When someone hands me mod tools, I usually head over to ModDB and wait for someone else to do something with them. So please understand how rare it is for me to be excited by something like the Far Cry 4 in-game editor.

It succeeds on two levels. First of all, it eliminates all the technical hang-ups—the frustrations that typically keep people away from experimenting with mod tools or game engines. Secondly, Far Cry 4 puts player-created maps and content right where you can find them: just one click away from the main menu. There is no wall between what you create and what I can play, and vice versa. This was Mathe’s mission. He feels that they created good tools for Far Cry 3, but made it incredibly difficult for most players to ever find what other people were creating. This time, it’ll be different. “We did our best, but it was such a big game,” he explains ruefully. “I am not ashamed to admit, it was difficult to find maps. If you wanted to play user-created content, you almost needed a PhD in engineering or software design, or maybe even anthropology! I dunno what you’d need, but you’d need something. It was really hidden. And that is the opposite of the approach we’re taking today.” The map editor is not at all intimidating. Ever used Photoshop? Congratulations, you’ve basically mastered a trickier version of the Far Cry 4 map editor interface. Each map begins life as a 512x512 meter plane. You look down on it from a window showing the view from your floating developer camera. All the tools you need are wrapped around it.

The act of creation

My guide to level editing is designer Julien Lamoureux. He takes over the mouse and keyboard, remarking that, “I’m a professional. These two,” he points at his two bosses, Methe and Hutchinson, “are not.” Hutchinson laughs, “I am but a gifted amateur.”
Even allowing for the fact that Lamoureux is a professional, his results are impressive. He starts out by choosing which kind of map he’s building. There are four mission / map types than you can design. Assault (kill all enemies), Hunt (kill all animals), Outpost (seize the outpost) and Extraction (get from point A to point B). Next, Lamoureux takes a perfectly flat, open grassland, and with a few sweeps of a paintbrush tool, covers it in dense forest. He selects a type of road—a dusty single-lane dirt path in this case—and cuts it through the forest segment by segment, so it looks a bit curvy and careless.

Next, he opens up the building library in the right-hand toolbar, grabs a few stucco buildings, and drops them into a clearing. He follows that by opening a menu of AI-controlled enemies and planting them around the campsite. There are additional dropdowns that would let him choose their behavior, or assign them patrols, but he’s in a hurry. They’ll just be normal Far Cry 4 enemies in this instance: they’ll wander around in a small area, keep watch, and react aggressively to perceived threats. Next Lamoureux opens up the asset library and plonks down a campfire, some chairs, a few red barrels, and, of course, a crate. He scatters some loot around, then uses another brush to create a low ridge to the south of the camp. He plants the player’s spawn point there. Then he hands me the controller and clicks a button.

The editor vanishes, and I find myself spawning into a fully playable Far Cry 4 level. It took Lamoureux less than three minutes to create a basic Outpost mission. “I’ve never been a level editor in my life,” Methe chimes in, seeing the slightly stunned expression on my face. “I’m a normal dude, with no experience in map editing. And I would say that I can get the same result. Though it takes me about double the time.” I feel like I’ve stumbled onto the set of a game design infomercial. But it’s not a trick. I was able to follow everything Lamoureux did. It really is that easy. If you want to give your map a certain vibe beyond terrain features and buildings, you can select a global ‘theme’ for it that changes everything from the color of the grass to the sounds of the wildlife. Select a jungle theme and everything becomes more lush and foggy. A Himalayas theme yields some brilliant, stark lighting, shocking blue skies, and distant snow-capped peaks in the background, while the rest of the map gets a dusting of snow and frost.

But why stop at lighting and atmosphere when you can change physical reality? Lamoureux goes back into the editor to show me how you can change the gravity on your map. Suddenly, you can make superjumps and go bounding across the level like a character in Starship Troopers. I immediately go vaulting over the enemy outpost, showering it with grenades like an evil Santa. He shows me some other maps, like Elephant Rampage, in which you answer the timeless question: is five minutes enough time to wipe out a map full of enemies with nothing more than an M-60 machine gun and a pair of extremely pissed-off elephants? All this variety can put a mighty strain on any gaming PC. Fortunately, the map editor also keeps track of where you are in terms of your performance budget. It doesn’t just warn you about hardware limits, either. It also lets you know if there are any fatal problems with your map. When you go to save your work, you’ll be taken to any outstanding issues that you need to solve. Think auto-correct, but for level designers. Is an AI standing outside the navigable ‘mesh’ that covers the accessible terrain on the map? You’ll be shown where the problem is, along with a tooltip explaining why it’s a problem and what you need to do about it. Did you forget to set down a spawn point for the third wave or enemy reinforcements? The editor will show you the problem, and give you the means to repair it.

Fallen-Champ
10-24-2014, 07:51 AM
Its not vs the forum members trust me....

Yeah we are all on the same side:)
I think all of us that want to use the Map Editor are anxious because some slight changes could make it very difficult, You guys want a long time for Escape maps maybe an hour or longer or even better turn timer off.

Others are even wondering can we even make PVP maps with FC4 - I know the frustration, hopefully we get the options needed.

HorTyS I read that but it could be that the guy didn't see all the options available - Does it have PVP / SP maps, they clicked on SP Mission maps and that is what he was shown ?
I am sure we will find out soon but until then it's just us all going round in circles or out of our minds speculating.

WniO
10-24-2014, 04:40 PM
@ FALLEN CHAMP

It sort of sounds like the editor is only for single player. And again, due to being very careful with what words they are using, it seems like they are making the editor more user friendly, which could mean, less options for the hardcore crowd... we just don't know. It will be bad news if on the 30th people don't have a full grasp on what they are buying.

I do often wonder why they even gave us an editor in FC2 / FC3 for PvP, seems like they would make a lot more money just selling us 4 new DLC maps like the other games. Maybe they realized that with Far Cr 4. The game will not have lobbies, that's almost a given by now.

Fallen-Champ
10-24-2014, 05:30 PM
I am not expecting to hear about MP Hosting and Lobbies on the 30th - Expecting to hear what the MP modes are and hopefully see some in action but if they say how it all works then great.

At amazon this is the listing for the editor.
Map editor: deathtrap designer
Create and share your own maps using the most powerful and intuitive map editor ever offered in the Far Cry franchise. Your creations will get the attention they deserve thanks to its enhanced tools, improved interface, and the ability to publish and share your maps with the community.

But it was like that back in June or July when it went up.
So much negativity and uncertainty with people right now, that leads to speculation and now some are thinking we will only be able to create SP Mission Maps.

Like you said Wnio "We just don't know"
I am not expecting to be able to share a PS4 map with people on XB1 and vice versa, I think Alex Hutchinson's words were twisted and think he meant that each platform can share maps but on that same platform.
The words "You can share maps on all platforms" Could mean what I said above because all platforms will allow us to share our maps with the same platform.
Or he might mean that we can share our maps over all the platforms but I can't see it happening.

Sorry Buddy can't help - same as you guys in the dark just hoping.
We are putting together / upgrading the Far Cry HUB at our site and we don't even know what features the game fully has so it's difficult to say the least.