PDA

View Full Version : Online Co-op Free Roam

cozytigerbed
10-13-2014, 06:12 PM
Online co-op free roam is a feature many players would be very excited to see in an Assassin's Creed game, and it's been confirmed... and denied?

http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-19456-Assassin---s-Creed--Unity-Hands-on-Preview-----One-Night-in-Paris.html
In the link above, author Dan Webb claims that there is no free roam co-operative gameplay, only missions. If you don't want to read the entire article, I've provided an important and relevant quote of him saying:

"When I heard Assassin’s Creed: Unity’s Senior Producer, Vincent Pontbriand tell us at Gamescom that one of the main aims with the game was “to create the first fully online Assassin’s Creed,” I assumed it meant a full co-operative campaign or at the very least, a co-op world. Imagine my confusion then to discover that their version of co-op couldn’t be any further from the truth, and is in fact just a series of heists. Hardly what I call a “first fully online” experience."

During the YouTube video "Assassin’s Creed Unity – Inside the Brotherhood [North America]" with Anne Lewis of UbiBlog and Lesley Phord-Toy, a producer on Assassin's Creed Unity, Lesley Phord-Toy is quoted saying: "We call it playing with friends because you can actually go in the world with your friends, walk around, and then start missions together", seemingly confirming a co-op free roam aspect similar to that of Grand Theft Auto 5, where missions can be triggered from the open world while already playing with other players. A copy and pasted quote from the Ubisoft website for Assassin's Creed Unity reads "In addition to an epic single-player campaign, join with up to three friends online and experience the open world of 18th-century Paris." Although some might say that was an old post from Ubisoft and that they've possibly changed their minds and removed the feature, the YouTube video with the quote from Lesley Phord-Toy was on October 3, 2014, but the article from Dan Webb is posted only 3 days later on October 6, 2014.

I, for one, want to know exactly what Ubisoft means when they advertise the ability to experience an "open world" with up to three friends; Is this "open world" just a mission environment, with the sequence ending when we've completed the mission? Or can we actually experience the open world of 18th century Paris with other players in its entirety.

Quick Links:
Dan Webb -
http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-19456-Assassin---s-Creed--Unity-Hands-on-Preview-----One-Night-in-Paris.html

Assassin’s Creed Unity – Inside the Brotherhood [North America] with Anne Lewis and Lesley Phord-Toy -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al1hu8zCwYQ

AC Unity Homepage -
http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-CA/games/assassins-creed-unity.aspx

deskp
10-13-2014, 06:19 PM
I dont know. But i think there is no side missions to do while in coop. you can run around unlock collectibles and attack guards, but theres no side missions for coop. only the coop missions.

cozytigerbed
10-13-2014, 06:27 PM
I dont know. But i think there is no side missions to do while in coop. you can run around unlock collectibles and attack guards, but theres no side missions for coop. only the coop missions.

see, that's what I'm trying to find out. I want a confirmation that I will be able to run around with other players and kill guards, etc.

GR_Magaki
10-13-2014, 09:24 PM
Well i am a bit worried too.
They haven't mentioned it since then, not even in the co-op trailer.
I will be very disappointed if there is no free roam coop because coop is one
of the most important features of this game and restricting it only to missions is stupid.

Pandassin
10-13-2014, 10:31 PM
I really hope there is free roam coop, it was one of the main features I was looking forward to, exploring the city of Paris with friends sounds amazing.

cawatrooper9
10-14-2014, 03:05 AM
I don't have the link, unfortunately, but I remember a dev mentioning in an interview once that you could roam the city freely in co-op between doing missions, or just to hang out. Does anyone remember when/where that was said?

tazygill
10-14-2014, 06:35 AM
Tazy

cozytigerbed
10-15-2014, 06:12 PM
I don't have the link, unfortunately, but I remember a dev mentioning in an interview once that you could roam the city freely in co-op between doing missions, or just to hang out. Does anyone remember when/where that was said?

something that's sketching me out is how whenever an interviewer brings up co-op they always ask specifically about the missions. do you think they're told not to ask if there's free roam?

JustPlainQuirky
10-15-2014, 06:14 PM
Free roam co-op better stay confirmed.

I want to push my assassin buddies off Notre Dame.

marvelfannumber
10-15-2014, 06:19 PM
Free roam co-op better stay confirmed.

I want to push my assassin buddies off Notre Dame.

Great minds think alike :rolleyes:

Makes me hope the players have collision (like in New Super Mario Bros) so I can cause utter mayhem, oh it sounds like the most glorious experience.

GR_Magaki
10-21-2014, 09:49 PM
So, it looks like there won't be free roam coop after all.
I noticed this on steam :
" In addition to an epic single-player experience, Assassin’s Creed Unity delivers the excitement
of playing with up to three friends through online cooperative gameplay in specific missions. "
What do you think?

m4r-k7
10-21-2014, 10:18 PM
There is free roam. You join a players game at any point and can explore Paris or enter missions with them. This has already been said on interviews?

GR_Magaki
10-21-2014, 10:40 PM
There is free roam. You join a players game at any point and can explore Paris or enter missions with them. This has already been said on interviews?
They mentioned that during the e3 interview i thing but sadly they haven't officially announced anything about free roam coop since then.

topeira1980
10-22-2014, 03:14 PM
help me remember this: how do you meat other ppl in unity coop? you go into a tavern and there sits a friend you have in ACU. you probably interact with him and then you join a game.
at least that's what i remember them devs say here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al1hu8zCwYQ#t=48
. what happens next? do you both teleport to the mission area or you stay in the caffee and your friend teleports to you? or you teleport to your friend? how does that work? an answer to this might help figure out what we can and cant do in coop.

besides, i think that once you start an interaction and start a mission you can free roam with necessarily going to the mission area. it's not exactly free roam, which is a shame, but the world isnt restricted, isnt it?