PDA

View Full Version : While Ubi is in the middle of ignoring PC gamers, EA is getting on the right track

thewhitestig
10-11-2014, 10:36 PM
https://www.origin.com/en-ie/news/dai-pc-specs-screens

We recently got a hands-on look at the PC version of Dragon Age: Inquisition to get a sense of everything it has to offer. And because BioWare is a developer whose roots are in PC gaming, you can bet this version of Inquisition is the real deal. It's fine-tuned for excellent mouse and keyboard play; it's got dozens of visual and interface options to tweak; and, of course, it's got 4K resolution and AMD Mantle support for the hardcore rig-building crowd. In fact, we’ve teamed up with BioWare to reveal the very first screenshots of the PC version, along with its HUD and system requirements, all of which you’ll find below. But first, let's talk about how the game plays on PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Dp7HeW9vs

Kinda sad, really. If EA starts being a better company while Ubi continues to conduct their business the same as they have done in the past... then I see no other options but to stop playing Ubi games altogether. You know... I always try to remain positive, but I'm not convinced at all (judging by Ubi's history) that Unity is gonna be a walk in the park for PC gamers. Not at all.

Altair1789
10-11-2014, 10:50 PM
I would love to see Ubisoft optimize their games for PC, but I, too, doubt they will :(

D_cover
10-11-2014, 11:14 PM
After Watch Dogs have a dodgy launch and still performing poor on some other users PC's. They really need to consider when optimizing their games better.

It is twice that PR has needed to do damage control once after the AC2 DRM and after Watch_Dogs.

Even though I was running Watch_Dogs okayish on a 780Ti .I got a little annoyed with Ubi's staff when they defend areas of their product that aren't up to snuff. Such as Viard tweets during the Watch_Dogs launch saying that the game can use 3GB+ of Vram scale down the settings when that simply didn't work for some people that were running systems that were on par or above the spec of a PS4.

I hope they do improve support for the PC like they said but I won't hold my breath. If they put as much time into improving PC support than making excuses as to why PC support is sometimes poor they would have a better polished product on the platform.

Let alone the excuses they make have contradicting evidence. frame rate, poor ports, Uplay reliability and AC:U parity.

fashric
10-11-2014, 11:23 PM
EA are making huge strides in improving themselves and honestly its fantastic to see a company recognise their shortcomings and try to work on them. They have made some massive mistakes in the past but all you can ask for is that they try and become better. They also have really great support that will actually converse with you like a human and not a number makes a big difference imo. If Ubisoft showed the same drive and initiative to improve and not just keep coming out with empty statements that they are going to change and support their PC customer base properly it would be awesome for all. Time to put up or shut up for Ubisoft imo.

D_cover
10-11-2014, 11:34 PM
EA are making huge strides in improving themselves and honestly its fantastic to see a company recognise their shortcomings and try to work on them. They have made some massive mistakes in the past but all you can ask for is that they try and become better. They also have really great support that will actually converse with you like a human and not a number makes a big difference imo. If Ubisoft showed the same drive and initiative to improve and not just keep coming out with empty statements that they are going to change and support their PC customer base properly it would be awesome for all. Time to put up or shut up for Ubisoft imo.

Yeah, got to say now the Origin is out EA had a shaky start but with that client it vastly improved after SimCity. Giving away games as well. Yeah they maybe old and not selling well but a free game is a free game.

With Uplay you spend "reward points" in which my opinion should already be in the game. I feel Ubisoft just made Uplay to have all of the pie rather than just a big chunk. No doubt this is why EA did it. But EA did do it better.

I hope that Alain Corre is speaking the truth and not just trying to get us PC gamers to shut up.

The better choice of what should of happened to Watch_Dogs is instead of saying "we downgraded to better suit gameplay" which boggles my mind and say yeah modders can play with it and unlock it then remove the locked graphics in a patch is like a kid having a tantrum and taking his ball home because he can't have things his own way. They really should of just unlocked the graphics and gave a warning to performance issues.

I will be judging them in the comings months with AC unity and Far Cry 4. But I hope they do their games justice on the PC.

naumaan
10-12-2014, 10:48 AM
as far as unity is concerned. it is made by a team who worked on revelation, and revelation by far was the best pc optimized game in ac franchise .. so cant say anything unlesss its out

strigoi1958
10-12-2014, 12:45 PM
I've never had problems with Ubi. I can only say I've enjoyed every game, even the one's not worth finishing. Maybe it's because I'm too busy enjoying myself playing the game rather than needlessly worrying if parts of my PC are working at 10% or 99% that optimization isn't something important to me.

Watch dogs could have had the best graphics in the world and it wouldn't have made the game any better than it was... a 7/ 10 game. :D There are average games with great graphics and great games with average graphics (minecraft has sold 54,000,000 copies) I think WD is less than 10,000,000 but I'm not sure.
Maybe Shadow of mordor has the right idea with a texture pack you can download if you think your system is up to it... perhaps in the future it can be sold as DLC that way people wanting more than others will pay for it.... personally I begrudge paying for a multiplayer game included with the campaign :D

Downgrading WD for better gameplay was 100% the right business choice.... when the system requirements were released on these forums, people went crazy saying they weren't going to spend a fortune upgrading their PC's just to play a game... when your customers are screaming they're not going to buy a product you listen. The release date was put back and no doubt graphics downgraded.

In the future all our complaining might just lead to more games being released like final fantasy 13 where the user gets virtually no graphics options and it's all just adapted to your cards abilities.

The only thing I can think about Ubi that could use some attention is support... it is as though there is a room with 10 people trying to answer thousands of questions per day with generic answers, in fact I've had the same answer posted twice on one question..... as though the person responding didn't have time to read the previous replies.

But in all honesty many companies are like that, it is just that when we have a problem we want it fixed immediately and get annoyed when it is not. Luckily we have this forum and it's full of extremely knowledgeable people.

AherasSTRG
10-12-2014, 01:00 PM
I don't mean to be a party breaker (and you know I like ya, Stig), but I cannot say that EA was ever on the wrong track when it came down to PC gaming:

Mass Effect, Dragon Age Origins, Battlefield, Dead Space, these games have always looked and run great on the PC. All right, they ****ed it up with DA2, but apart from that, I cannot think of another title that did not look play well on the PC.

When it comes to Ubisoft though... So many bad PC games...

thewhitestig
10-12-2014, 09:42 PM
I don't mean to be a party breaker but I cannot say that EA was ever on the wrong track when it came down to PC gaming

Well, I mean on the right track as a whole, not just to PC gamers. Because you know, EA is kind of legendary for their disrespect of customers no matter the platform. But you're right, EA has always been if not good, then at least decent to the PC gaming crowd.

Anykeyer
10-13-2014, 07:57 AM
EA always had a few game series with PC as a leading platfrom (Battlefield, Crysis, Command and Conquer), that no surprise at all.
What I always hated about EA is their DLC/ULC policy. They always have tons of day 1 extras and most of them are equal to cheating. Ofc Ubisoft does almost the same lately, but not quite the same, its usually just some visual stuff and you can get all this later in a single pack. EA also likes to release new games with less features than in the last game so they can sell you DLCs.