PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed Annual Releases - Your Opinion

playlisting
10-10-2014, 04:38 AM
As we all know Assassin's Creed has been bound to a yearly release schedule. This means the games receive less attention to detail. There have been optimisation issues with the past 2 AC titles, which have been fixed with patches later on. Would you rather AC be removed from this yearly release schedule so they can receive more polish and be further optimised and we receive a 100% completed game upon release - or do you just want more AC?

I'm of the former opinion myself. I'm replaying Assassin's Creed 2 again for the maybe twentieth time, and the game still hooks me. The story, voice acting, setting, animations are all top quality. The only thing to point out is the LoD pop-in but given it's age you can't really say it's a negative point. The graphics are still very impressive. Crisp and clean. Ezio feels very responsive and quick, whereas Connor & Edward both feel slightly awkward to control at times. The game definitely feels produced to a higher standard than the last 2 titles. Not to say they weren't good (I enjoyed AC3 personally), but they don't have the same quality as AC2. I started my third play-through of AC4 recently and the game just doesn't grab me like AC2/AC:B did. Seeing as Desmond is no longer alive there doesn't seem to be much point to what we're doing in-game. I hope they can make the modern day stuff meaningful again in Unity.

Thoughts?

D_cover
10-10-2014, 04:51 AM
I really haven't had an issue with AC being a yearly release. Although at times the lack of development time has shown. Mainly with Blackflag with NPC's spawning in right in front of you. Apart from that nothing else really. The characters, story and new little features have always been worth exploring.

The parkour mechanics for me have always been hit and miss. Specially in chases. But when it works it works well but sometimes it can send you up that wall next to you when you really want to run after a guy heading down an ally.

I had these issues in all AC games. But you can tell AC:U has been in development for some time. So if they stick with this format of yearly release and then a big drop down the road I'll be happy with it.

As long as they keep the yearly releases on the AC:U engine anyway.

It is harder to imagine to see a year without AC than one with it. Working on different time periods adds a lot. I'm looking forward to where AC goes after the French revolution.

YazX_
10-10-2014, 11:55 AM
Yes keep it coming :)

playlisting
10-10-2014, 12:26 PM
I really haven't had an issue with AC being a yearly release. Although at times the lack of development time has shown. Mainly with Blackflag with NPC's spawning in right in front of you. Apart from that nothing else really. The characters, story and new little features have always been worth exploring.

The parkour mechanics for me have always been hit and miss. Specially in chases. But when it works it works well but sometimes it can send you up that wall next to you when you really want to run after a guy heading down an ally.

I had these issues in all AC games. But you can tell AC:U has been in development for some time. So if they stick with this format of yearly release and then a big drop down the road I'll be happy with it.

As long as they keep the yearly releases on the AC:U engine anyway.

It is harder to imagine to see a year without AC than one with it. Working on different time periods adds a lot. I'm looking forward to where AC goes after the French revolution.

Yes keep it coming :)

As you say you can tell some things were rushed. I think Ubi should take the approach of asking the devs "Is the game finished?" instead of what they're doing now: "Is it ready enough to be sold?".
They'll have to cut corners to make sure they meet deadlines. If there's things the devs want to get done the best they can hope to do is prioritise and hope they can implement/fix the things they couldn't through patches. I hope AC doesn't become mundane and repetitive, because the series deserves better than that.

CQMET_PenperOni
10-10-2014, 02:35 PM
when Ubi announced ACU I was like "omg allready? i havent even finished Black Flag".... but i was in a period of problems....
Anyway.... I aprove the annual releases :)

Altair1789
10-10-2014, 03:57 PM
I love it. Ubisoft really likes to release their game at the best they think it can be, and since Ubisoft is so big, they CAN do that, give 1 game like 4 years of production but still release a new game every year. They're probably working on AC7 already. Gives me something nice to look forward to

strigoi1958
10-10-2014, 05:16 PM
I want the next title yesterday ;)

I have no problem but my only preference would be to have releases staggered.... no game then ACU and farcry 4 so close together. I wish farcry 4 had been out last month so I don't get confused switching between games each day :D

I know it might be for production reasons (maybe some teams work on both and it saves time) or something else but I'd still like them at different times..... now they'll be competing against each other

Just to add... err Ubi if seeing this post makes you think of delaying the release of either game to avoid conflict please ignore my inane rambling :D

naumaan
10-10-2014, 05:33 PM
i think that is okie ... as they put their work in motion 3 years before the launch date ....

Altair1789
10-10-2014, 06:16 PM
I just wish there was better PC optimization though

D_cover
10-10-2014, 08:33 PM
As you say you can tell some things were rushed. I think Ubi should take the approach of asking the devs "Is the game finished?" instead of what they're doing now: "Is it ready enough to be sold?".
They'll have to cut corners to make sure they meet deadlines. If there's things the devs want to get done the best they can hope to do is prioritise and hope they can implement/fix the things they couldn't through patches. I hope AC doesn't become mundane and repetitive, because the series deserves better than that.

Yeah the were some issues with AC 3. It did make me laugh a bug caused Achilles to multiply in a room and He/They all said "Hello Connor" all at the same time. The humor quickly struck to fear. The best part was it was right after the cutscene when he is in bed and struggling as he gets older. So apart from being able to clone his self he shouldn't be walking anyway. But I'm sure that was a one off bug and I re-bought it on PC and never ran into it again.

I can look pass a few minor bugs as long as they get fixed at some point. Optimization on the other hand really hurts me with Ubisoft. Although I don't blame yearly release. I do think Ubi kind of pay less attention to the PC community compared to the console. They did say some time ago after the release of Watch_Dogs they will clean up their act. So hopefully *fingers crossed* they also mean better performance on all future releases since it looks like Uplay is here to stay, So they probably weren't talking about DRM or any of that stuff.

But I don't see myself getting bored of the AC series due to the time periods and how the Assassin's fiction plays into it. Also the is enough added to gameplay to keep me interested.

strigoi1958
10-10-2014, 09:37 PM
There is a huge number of people who buy into early access and beta stage when games are 10% to 90% done.... so getting a game 99.9999 % is nothing..... I'd have it now at 90% if Ubi would let me. if anyone expects perfection 100% then we'd never get a game because there is a limited number of testers and if they tested for years they would never be able to do the millions of different things the buyers do in a few short hours. :D

I see many threads about having optimization problems ... the games must be optimized for the majority of buyers as they run great on my mid level pc. The people I see with problems usually have a high end system/ gfx card and/ or multiple GPU's.... or older systems.

I think the problem is, expectation from PC users is too much. People want max everything at ridiculous resolution with excessive FPS. Instead we should focus on gameplay.
People seem unwilling to turn down a setting in order to enjoy a game and that has never bothered me.

Technology is leapfrogging other technology. 4k screens are here and by the time games are able to run high FPS on 4k I expect 16k will be out. Vram requirement are getting ridiculous as well.... people buying 2GB and 3GB cards are starting to feel inadequate, DX11.2 is helping with tile streaming. Nvidia (for all their faults) have helped with DSR downsampling 4k on to 1080.

But the reason why devs are getting less interested in PC owners is... we are a pain in the neck with our demands.

Altair1789
10-10-2014, 10:18 PM
There is a huge number of people who buy into early access and beta stage when games are 10% to 90% done.... so getting a game 99.9999 % is nothing..... I'd have it now at 90% if Ubi would let me. if anyone expects perfection 100% then we'd never get a game because there is a limited number of testers and if they tested for years they would never be able to do the millions of different things the buyers do in a few short hours. :D

I see many threads about having optimization problems ... the games must be optimized for the majority of buyers as they run great on my mid level pc. The people I see with problems usually have a high end system/ gfx card and/ or multiple GPU's.... or older systems.

I think the problem is, expectation from PC users is too much. People want max everything at ridiculous resolution with excessive FPS. Instead we should focus on gameplay.
People seem unwilling to turn down a setting in order to enjoy a game and that has never bothered me.

Technology is leapfrogging other technology. 4k screens are here and by the time games are able to run high FPS on 4k I expect 16k will be out. Vram requirement are getting ridiculous as well.... people buying 2GB and 3GB cards are starting to feel inadequate, DX11.2 is helping with tile streaming. Nvidia (for all their faults) have helped with DSR downsampling 4k on to 1080.

But the reason why devs are getting less interested in PC owners is... we are a pain in the neck with our demands.

That is a good point, I just want to run at settings people will be playing on with xbox one/PS4. I just wish I knew what settings they play on :(

playlisting
10-12-2014, 05:00 PM
I can look pass a few minor bugs as long as they get fixed at some point. Optimization on the other hand really hurts me with Ubisoft. Although I don't blame yearly release. I do think Ubi kind of pay less attention to the PC community compared to the console. They did say some time ago after the release of Watch_Dogs they will clean up their act. So hopefully *fingers crossed* they also mean better performance on all future releases since it looks like Uplay is here to stay, So they probably weren't talking about DRM or any of that stuff.

But I don't see myself getting bored of the AC series due to the time periods and how the Assassin's fiction plays into it. Also the is enough added to gameplay to keep me interested.

Definitely. The games on console feel very polished and well-done. While the PC games do look better, they don't use system resources so you can't run them at a nice solid 60 regardless of the PC you have. The only thing that makes the PC version worth getting for me is the NVIDIA exclusive features. HBAO+ looks really nice, much better than any other type of AO. That, and the heavier AA. Jaggies are the enemy.