PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about some new Haven and Light cards from SoB.

akim0001
10-06-2014, 05:57 PM
Hello, it's been a long time since I wrote my new post in the forums. Like I said before, my favorite faction is Haven and I play Haven a lot though it's still below tier 1. I like to play Alia so I've been testing different with her playing around but of course... with little success. I too, have immense interest on those new cards and can't wait to play them after their official release. I've seen some posts mentioning about Haven cards and I would also like to state my opinions of some cards from the new set.

(Bear in mind that I'm not a high-elo player so my article could be wrong or too subjective.)
(My post is based on std format not open)

Sunrise

Take target Light creature from your graveyard and deploy it for free.

This is an interesting card and it suits the theme of light magic. It's a mini version of Resurrection but its target is only limited to LIGHT creatures. The question is, are there any LIGHT creatures that are Sunrisen-worthy? Let's take a look at the LIGHT creature pool. In my perspective, resurrecting a 3 drop or below is not a good way of spending resources since Sunrise costs 4. The viable ones are the discarded Anael and Fat Anael, Angel of Mercy, Blessing Inq, Warding Inq, Angel Commander, Angel Protector, Cleansing Princess and Angel of Salvation. Possibly, the best scenario is to pull out Angel of Salvation since she's a 7-drop.

However, there's another thing we should think of this card and it is its 'situationality'. What I mean that though there are some cards or combos that seem theoretically good or 'enthralling', in the real game it's sorta different. What if you have cheap LIGHT creatures and you're being pushed by your opponent while there's a sitting Sunrise in your hand. If you want to increase your chances of making Sunrise a 'fair trade card', you should increase the number of high-drop LIGHT creatures. But then again... your avg resources will be high and you will be forced to run cheaper cards to make up for the avg resource inflation. Of course, you can manage to find the golden ratio of # of Sunrises and # of LIGHT high drops instead of maxing out Sunrise just to resurrect a LIGHT creature.

Also, would resurrecting a LIGHT creature significantly change the state of game? In my opinion, it is hard to say yes. Because most Haven decks cannot just overturn the whole game unless they rely on hardcore removal spells. To me Sunrise is more like a closer rather than a turner. Of course, resurrecting an Angel of Mercy can grant you 1+. Raising Warding Inq can also buy you some time he buffs Enemy Spell Ward. However, paying 4 resources just to bring a creature alive doesn't instantaneously deliver an impact to the opponent. It's way weaker than Soul Reaver and much less weaker than Ice Meteor. If players have room for Sunrise, I bet they would still look for something efficient rather than gimmicky.

We do have some ways to utilize Sunrise to its fullest and that is raising big fat bad angels which are Fat Anael and Angel of Salvation. Those creatures might not trigger the shift of the game state immediately but due to their great abilities and durability, they can exert pressure in the long run. Theoretically speaking, you can bring them on turn 4. How is that possible? The answer is Week of Fortune or Nite of the Rising Moon. Yes, discard them to the graveyard and bring them back, just like open Asalah. However, that method seems lackluster and risky even against strong rush decks. The reason is that using those event cards means relinquishing your right to dominate or gain sub par control of the board and try to overcome the price by deploying fatty angels. It sound like a wise investment, but actually you are deliberately putting yourself into a huge disadvantage because you just gave up your turn 2 or 3 of deploying a unit. Also, WoF -> SR -> AoS might seem to be sweet like a cake but the inside is not that tasty since you already invested 3 resources for WoF, 4 resources for SR just to get one single fatty angel. (Though people would barely bring out AOS in this early state but I'm just taking it as an example.) NotRM is slightly better since you invest a total of 6 resources for deploying a fat angel in an early timing with +1 hand advantage and a huge renewal of your hand. However, this also might not work well in real life because using NoRM means that you are running a hybrid build and unless you are Morgan, hybrid builds for Haven faction are not that quite rewarding.

Another thing I would like to point out about Sunrise is that it's easy to be countered. If your opponent is smart after seeing this card, he will definitely try to snipe down your valuable LIGHT creatures in your graveyard thanks to Week of Nethermancer. Alas, that card can turn into a dead card in your hand and you will be playing -1 CoH for the rest of the game. Those cases can happen a lot since WoN is a 1 cost ability and the opponent will always stare at your graveyard.

Overall, Sunrise is not a big support card and it's more like a coincidental miraculous arrow to me. And definitely drawing this card as a starting hand could be more of a nuisance to the user. So I'm not sure whether this card would be popular in Haven decks and maxed out. We shall see whether LIGHT decks are utilizing this very well. It's not a horrible card but there should be some LIGHT haven creatures that could deliver immediate effect such as Blackskull Shredder or BSS. Well maybe raising Blessing Inq can make this kind of a scenario since he can buff 3 creatures but considering Haven creature's low atk stats, that also seems lackluster to me.

Chapel of Elrath

When you play a Light card, heal all damage from the creature at Chapel of Elrath

I was surprised after looking at its cost and lvl requirements. It's quite enticing since it's a 1 cost card. Playing a Light card not only means activating Light spells but also deploying LIGHT creatures. Why did the dev team made this card for us? It took only 20 seconds to come up with three cards which are Crusader Watchman, Vanguard and Commander (but Commander is too expensive to use so I'll omit this tall guy). Those cards lose their combat stat buffs when wounded and most heroes can't find a viable way to heal them except Anael and Alia. I can forsee this kind of gameplay. Play Crusader Watchman, let him be wounded, on the next turn, play Chapel and Lesser Glory and heal him yay~! But sadly... I can't confidently say that is kind of game flow is 'ideal' because there are better ways to spend your 3 resources.

The good thing of this card is that it gives you sustainability. As long as you play light cards every turn, your creature will be more likely to remain healthy every turn as long as it's sitting on Chapel of Elrath. You will always have a full health Crusader Watchman and Vanguard by your side. Is this really a good thing? Come to think of it, I'm not playing a Haven deck just to keep those two cards healthy. My deck shouldn't be revolved around them and instead, should be focused on winning. Is it worth it to use one deck space and one resource to play this card? Sustaining your creatures would buy you some time but as time passes, your opponent will accumulate more cards and resources, just enough to erase your sitting creature on the Chapel. Though it will depend on which Haven deck you are playing, we should also be aware that Chapel is a conditional card and if we have scarce amount of Light cards in our hands, it's useless. Of course we can always make a deck full of LIGHT cards but are LIGHT spells better than other school spells? Do we have to crank in mediocre LIGHT creatures instead of cost-efficient non-LIGHT haven creatures? I cannot answer with assurance yet, but I am sure that this chapel card will not be able to see light in play because basically... the heal mechanic is not that great unless it surpasses the removal mechanics/gimmicks which other factions possess. Compare this 1-cost building card with War Tent. Haven creatures would mostly go to War tent (even Crusader Watchman).

Supply Caravan

Gain 1 resource for each friendly building on the battleground.

Now I realized why would they make cheap buildings for us. Build lots of buildings and taste the power of 'River of Gems'. We all know that one difference of resource can change the state of the game. That's why Campfire is a great card in std format. Can Supply Caravan do the same thing? Unlike Campfire, it doesn't give you a draw but can give more than 1 resource. It's an auto minus in your CoH so you are risking yourself to become handless. And it also depends on how many buildings you built and so far, Barracks is the best bet you can get. The most ideal situation would be constructing several buildings, get a whole lot of resource and deploy stack haven human creatures on the board. This might generate hordes of human tokens in a short time but I doubt that this strategy would be consistent. I personally don't like the way Haven is turning towards to what identity. This card sorta gave me the impression that we should Monopoly instead of MMDOC. I do understand this card isn't impossible to play since you can play humans after exhausting all your resources but do we have to be forced to build buildings that are not even Barracks? An all-in strategy might benefit well from this card but other than that, Campfire is way lot better as long as you can do the math.

Lesser Glory

My last card would be Lesser Glory. I know she's a vanilla but she is the most supportive and needed card in Haven faction. we now have a decent tank (6 hp >>> 5 hp), who is a flyer (flexible positioning) and LIGHT (good for LIGHT decks I suppose)> What Haven really lacked is a stable start. I mean look at Crusader Watchman, Loyal Griffin and Elite Squire. CW is useless if he's damaged, Loyal Griffin is neither a tank or a decent shooter. Elite Squire is just plainly Insect Swarm food for BSS and I seriously don't have any clue to use Healing sister when going against Stronghold or Inferno. But finally, we have Lesser Glory and I'm just happy we got a specialized tank that can help us buy some time for late game. I really grateful for this card being in my hands and I can't wait to see how she can serve for the Haven army. Other Haven creatures didn't buy my interest but only this merely 1/1/6 flyer spirit gave me a feeling of bliss. But that doesn't mean Haven is going to be OP. It means that Haven will have little more chance to win in ranked games.

Personally, when I looked at Haven cards first, I just thought that the dev team just did a decent job without any flaws. But when I looked at other faction cards I could see why some people would show disappointment. Haven's power level did go up, but so did other factions (especially Inferno). Is it just me or is it the truth that other factions got better cards than Haven? I wouldn't that I'm angry nor disappointed towards the dev team. In fact, I feel like I recieved a challenge quest from them to seek for the best Haven build to dominate the meta. I think we should take some time to explore new haven cards and find ways to synergize them properly. But of course it's sad that there are some 'minor' collisions between Haven cards (such as Bene angel and Anael).

I've never used those 4 cards above but the reason why I wrote this article to somehow find out whether mine or your speculations of the pre-released cards are 'correct' with the future actual gameplay. Will the cards see better play than we expected. Or are they just gonna be denounced as merely fillers for SoB? I can't wait to spend my birthday money on SoB because right after the mid term, I'm going to skip some classes and test different kinds of Haven decks 24/7. I do have mixed feelings and impressions about the new cards but hey, Haven is human-based and humans are striving to surpass monsters such as Nagas or Orcs.

Any comments are criticism is welcome. You can ask me my opinion about other cards. Sorry for my not-so-good-English-writing but I hope you will understand what I'm trying to say. Long live the Ashan Universe.

LonecatPawstar
10-06-2014, 07:21 PM
With my limited experience, I agree with all your points.
Sunrise seems like a bad deal most of the time, very situational and limited. Agree with haven being the monopoly faction :) But some buildings like the "Angel temple"... This card looks sweet.

The "lesser glory" seems decent, and it is flexible enough to soak some damage in the front or back line - I think this is good. Let's see how it plays out.

Inferno seems to have benefited from a major boost, so I don't think haven is quite catching up.
What really makes it so for me, is that I personally find that haven has a slow setup and too defensively. Maybe I need to change my deck to setup more aggressively, I dunno... Whereas inferno just leads and tells you what your next turn of play will be. So yeah... You never get control.

Portios86
10-06-2014, 10:23 PM
The main problem is that all these new cards donīt exactly buff any popular haven deck, so itīs hard to say if this was a buff.
However, new haven decks such as "Morgan light", "cassandra buildings rush", "new charity retaliation" or whatever could be better, perhaps even competitive decks, but honestly I donīt think so...
Actually I have all my hopes in morgan light deck with ice spear. Havenīt played any new card yet but thatīs the first deck Iīm going to try, followed by cassandra rush with buildings, which got only one buff, construction (so I donīt expect it to be really competitive).

akim0001
10-07-2014, 06:32 AM
With my limited experience, I agree with all your points.
Sunrise seems like a bad deal most of the time, very situational and limited. Agree with haven being the monopoly faction :) But some buildings like the "Angel temple"... This card looks sweet.

Angel's temple is a good card cuz even if you place your tithe collector as a fodder, you can have it soak Ice Meteor.

But in my opinion, I partially doubt its potential because basically, it's a building card and nowadays there are some players (not sure whether they are a majority or not) who run A Tear in the Veil in their decks which negates damage prevention effects. We have to spend our 3 resources for this building and place a creature on it, but the 3 + a resource investment can be simply nullified by a 1 cost event card.This gives me skepticism of whether Angel Temples can be playable or not. We will see after the release of SoB in game stores...

The main problem is that all these new cards donīt exactly buff any popular haven deck, so itīs hard to say if this was a buff.
However, new haven decks such as "Morgan light", "cassandra buildings rush", "new charity retaliation" or whatever could be better, perhaps even competitive decks, but honestly I donīt think so...
Actually I have all my hopes in morgan light deck with ice spear. Havenīt played any new card yet but thatīs the first deck Iīm going to try, followed by cassandra rush with buildings, which got only one buff, construction (so I donīt expect it to be really competitive).

Ice Spear is definitely a huge boost for Morgan decks as long as Morgan keep at least one of his creatures alive on the board. Charity retaliation has potential because they have better ret stats but they rely on Truce of Elrath. I can picture a cass rush deck with lots of buildings. Right now, I can't say for sure that Haven is really competitive but we will see when they come in spotlight.