View Full Version : skin problems

dasstuka
10-06-2014, 02:31 AM
I have

IL2 Forgotten Battles,

Ace Expansion Pack,
Pacific Fighters
All merged into 4.04

My problem is the default skin stays under new skin when I add new skins to the paintschemes / skin folders

Any way of disabling the default skins files ?

Thanks for any suggestions

Tully__
10-06-2014, 09:29 AM
No, they're hard coded into the encrypted game files.

dasstuka
10-06-2014, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the reply.
How can I use the downloaded skins over the default skin with out the default skin showing under the downloaded skin ?
Or can I do that ?

Tully__
10-07-2014, 02:13 AM
I've never seen that happen. The nearest I've seen was a problem that occurred with ground textures showing through runway textures at certain distances. There is a setting in the conf.ini file that helped but didn't fully eliminate the issue. Since no-one's complained of the problem for years I can't remember which setting it is.
Edit: Had a look at Mission4Today forums and found these settings. You'll find them in both the DirectX and OpenGL sections of the conf.ini file in your game folder, if they're not there you can add them (use Notepad to do the edits, make a backup of the file before experimenting):

PolygonOffsetFactor=-0.15
PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0
I think these settings were made standard with one of the later patches.

Unfortunately there's no easy way to patch from 4.04 to current version as the 4.06 and 4.07 patches are nearly impossible to find (and IIRC one of them was only available for the Russian language game version). You can however get the IL2 Sturmovik: 1946 version already patched to 4.07 or 4.08 for around US$10 from Amazon US: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000N4JENW/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new or around seven pounds at http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0027FFRHM/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=479289247&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000KJRGTY&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1QCEVBTEA5C31D17DH6P

The other options would be make sure your video driver is up to date or to try the other render system (OpenGL to DirectX or vice versa) and see if that helps.

Tully__
10-07-2014, 03:51 AM
I just had another thought. If you're talking about country and unit markings rather than skins (general paint job / camouflage) the fix is easy. Open the mission in full missing builder and:
click on one of the waypoints for the aircraft flight that's the problem - this will make it flash
Go to View > Object menu selection to open the object viewer for that flight
There'll be a bunch of tabs in the viewer including one for each of the planes in the flight. Select the tab for the aircraft you want to have custom skin/markings
Uncheck the "Markings On" check box. Do this for every aircraft for which you want to use custom markings.
Save and exit

For Quick Missions it's even easier. In the quick mission setup screen, click the round button at the extreme right of the line for the aircraft / flight you want to fix. In the next screen, turn off the "Markings On" switch.

Just shows how long it's been since I used custom markings or I'd have clicked to this straight away ;)

dasstuka
10-07-2014, 06:52 AM
Tully
Thanks for the replys . I hear ya on how long it has been . My video card went bad and I started to build a new computer . It took 2 years for me to get all of the parts I needed but now the new system is up and I wanted to get back to the Il2 games again . I am in the process of purchasing the Il2 1946 Il2 cliffs of Dover and Il2 Battle of Stalingrad Hopefully I will have a dual boot soon and I can enjoy the new games in a 64 bit environment

Again thanks for the help

Dasstuka