PDA

View Full Version : In your opinion, which is the most innovative/unique mission of all the games?

The_Kiwi_
10-05-2014, 10:21 AM
Title should be self-explanatory
Out of all the missions from all the games, which one do you think is the most unique and/or innovative? Think of missions that have you do something that hasn't appeared in any other mission.

RinoTheBouncer
10-05-2014, 10:22 AM
I honestly don’t think there’s a mission that really stood out among the rest. It’s either too linear, too restrictive and demanding or too predictable and repetitive.

HiddenKiller612
10-05-2014, 10:28 AM
I honestly don’t think there’s a mission that really stood out among the rest. It’s either too linear, too restrictive and demanding or too predictable and repetitive.
Kind of ironic, given the thread you made :rolleyes:

RinoTheBouncer
10-05-2014, 10:33 AM
Kind of ironic, given the thread you made :rolleyes:

The mission itself is restrictive, not the city as a whole. I suggested something like Final Fantasy where you access large and open locations and then leave and only be able to return when you’re done with about 3/4 of the game. However, I did not ever suggest that there should be one route for an Assassination. Just less focus on the filler material, at least until 70% of the story is dealt with and I suggested a closer camera perspective like The Last of Us.

Fatal-Feit
10-05-2014, 10:34 AM

This.

AC's known for milking every bit of innovative asset they have at their disposal.

Namikaze_17
10-05-2014, 10:36 AM

^ This. Every game has as mentioned above...

Can't think of anything at the moment. :confused:

king-hailz
10-05-2014, 10:45 AM
Hmm there hasn't been much as someone said above they milk every innovative idea they have... I though brotherhoods mission where you are on the carriage and free aim at guards was awesome! Also I guess the last mission of acr was kind of where you are on the parachute and then you fall of the mountain hitting ahmet... but that wasn't very good I think...

Fatal-Feit
10-05-2014, 10:48 AM
To contribute, this tutorial stands out in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USaii_U-Q-A

Despite its linearity, I FREAKING LOVE IT. Prior to the rest of AC:3, this mission really stood out and was a ton of fun after the last trilogy. It had you utilize everything from eagle vision, navigation, lock-picking, assassination, and walking out like a boss. The setting and atmosphere was interesting and unique (something I want Unity to desperately capture), game-play was great, and the many active AIs were astounding. God, I want me some more London.

When Rhino brought up more linear missions in the other thread, this is the mission I want Ubisoft to replicate if they were to ever continue down that road.

------------------

This IS what you mean by ''mission'', right? If not, then I don't know.

The_Kiwi_
10-05-2014, 10:49 AM
What about the ACB mission where you had to determine what route to take based on the reactions of the guards?
I thought that was pretty neat

Sushiglutton
10-05-2014, 10:53 AM
This one. Unfortunately some unsensitive XXX-hat almost destroyed it by including the "Avoid mi-air collisions" optional objective. Never has a game shotgunned istelf in the foot as frequently as AC3...sigh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcY1HrHTCfQ

Namikaze_17
10-05-2014, 10:54 AM
Hmm there hasn't been much as someone said above they milk every innovative idea they have... I though brotherhoods mission where you are on the carriage and free aim at guards was awesome! Also I guess the last mission of acr was kind of where you are on the parachute and then you fall of the mountain hitting ahmet... but that wasn't very good I think...

Off-Topic, but if I may ask King: Why do you have that "Osiris" wallpaper as your Sig? Wasn't that Debunked like last year?

@Fatal

I Agree... :) But it always puzzled me how people never looked up to see Haytham sneaking through those edges...

#norealism :rolleyes:

Fatal-Feit
10-05-2014, 11:11 AM
I Agree... :) But it always puzzled me how people never looked up to see Haytham sneaking through those edges...

#norealism :rolleyes:

Well, actually, there's plenty of explanations for that.

1. The play was just beginning starting. Everyone's eye-balling the stadium.

2. Most people above were distracted, obviously. :rolleyes:

Miko obviously caught Haytham but didn't act.

3. F!@# realism!

zkorejo
10-05-2014, 11:23 AM
It wasnt unique or anything but 1 mission I really liked was from AC1. The doctor's (Garnier de Naplouse) assassination mission is one of the best ones for me. IDK why, but the whole thing felt really eerie.

I dont think I have ever felt that way in any other AC mission.

The_Kiwi_
10-05-2014, 11:27 AM
It's also very dark in the theatre,all lights are dimmed so people can see the stage

Namikaze_17
10-05-2014, 11:30 AM
Well, actually, there's plenty of explanations for that.

1. The play was just beginning starting. Everyone's eye-balling the stadium.

2. Most people above were distracted, obviously. :rolleyes:

Miko obviously caught Haytham but didn't act.

3. F!@# realism!

1) No one doesn't just admire the building or try to look at the people above them? For all Haytham knew, a child could've yelled: "Mommy, look at that man climbing up there!"

2) Wouldn't that be the case for all Missions? :rolleyes:

I can see Miko doing that, but could it have killed him to hire some security? SHM.

3) I gotta hand it to you there.
:rolleyes:

ACfan443
10-05-2014, 11:32 AM
Paul Revere's ride.

RinoTheBouncer
10-05-2014, 11:38 AM
This.

AC's known for milking every bit of innovative asset they have at their disposal.

Yes. I feel like itís torn between either milking one feature to death or intruding too many features that youíll rarely find the time, the need nor the justification to use it.

^ This. Every game has as mentioned above...

Can't think of anything at the moment. :confused:

Yeah. While ToKW did introduce interesting new mechanics, I still feel that the mission design as a whole couldíve been better. It was cool to be able to fly or have Wolves assisting you, but it shortly became a chore.

SixKeys
10-05-2014, 11:39 AM
The eagle mission Sushi mentioned, apart from the stupid full sync objective.

I also liked the one in ToKW where you had to pull spears out of the body of that massive spirit bear.

Desmond's Journey and TLA were visually impressive. I like the beginning of TLA where Clay sort of visits his own funeral and falls into his own open grave, then tunnels out to the other side to experience his life all over again. That stuff was really unique and eerie.

Fatal-Feit
10-05-2014, 11:44 AM
1) No one doesn't just admire the building or try to look at the people above them? For all Haytham knew, a child could've yelled: "Mommy look at man climbing up there!"

2) Wouldn't that be the case for all Missions? :rolleyes:

I can see Miko doing that, but could it have killed him to hire some security? SHM.

1. The lights are dimmed, and everyone's focusing on the play. A few people have noticed Haytham, no doubt, but he's more or less a shadow at that point.

By the time anyone could get the security's full attention, Haytham would have already finished the deed and chaos would ensue.

2. Pretty much. If there aren't any patrols on rooftops, the Assassins, or Haytham in this case, are incognito. :p

It wouldn't be their domain, otherwise.

But speaking of Miko, I feel he knew he would only delay the inevitable. With Reginald present, there could have been more Templars lurking around the escape routes and stuff.

VestigialLlama4
10-05-2014, 11:46 AM
I don't know why linearity of gameplay is necessarily a bad thing in itself, missions are about design, fun and building moments. In terms of favorite missions, I like all the tombs, so in terms of story-missions

1) The AC1 - Sibrand/Acre Docks Assassination - Wide open spaces, precise Parkour navigation, climbing up a boat and attacking your quarry. They keep repeating this mission in AC2(in Port Authority, and in AC3, with Connor).

2) AC2 - The mission in San Gimignano where you have to climb up that tower and kill that Preacher, the Carnevale sequence in Venice and the ending at the Vatican which is not challenging but is great. For Brotherhood, I like the ones infiltrating the Castel and freeing Caterina Sforza.

3) Revelations - The Prince's Banquet .

4) AC3 - I love the opening at the opera too...incredibly fun and witty sequence. Among Connor's missions, the Pitcairn assassination during the Battle of Bunker Hill is best.

5) AC4 - Not one real single mission that stands out, its more the sailing thing, but the chase sequence in the Swamps where you have to track the shipment of medicines for Blackbeard, there's the combination of a ship chase, then a land-chase through swamp, hiding and killing in the dark of night and then there's this awesome chase at the end. Again wide open spaces, stealthy gameplay by hiding in shadows and then finishing like crazy.

RinoTheBouncer
10-05-2014, 11:48 AM
I must add that Desmondís Journey and The Lost Archives were two masterpieces, visually and musically, at least. The mission design was very new and yes, it was a bit repetitive but I enjoyed it, greatly.

Namikaze_17
10-05-2014, 11:55 AM
1. The lights are dimmed, and everyone's focusing on the play. A few people have noticed Haytham, no doubt, but he's more or less a shadow at that point.

By the time anyone could get the security's full attention, Haytham would have already finished the deed and chaos would ensue.

2. Pretty much. If there aren't any patrols on rooftops, the Assassins, or Haytham in this case, are incognito. :p

It wouldn't be their domain, otherwise.

But speaking of Miko, I feel he knew he would only delay the inevitable. With Reginald present, there could have been more Templars lurking around the escape routes and stuff.

1) There was still enough light at the top for someone on the other side to see Haytham, regardless if they would've cared or not. It just didn't make sense.

2) So no one cares unless guards care? Wow...that real for ya.
:rolleyes: Then again, the Citizens do call for guards, but later fade into oblivion.

And I guess you have a point about Miko, but I never understood why he would go to a place so public if it risked him being killed by the Enemy?

Especially since he had an object that could change the landscape of the AVT war.

Then again, Edward comes to mind as well by that logic...

Fatal-Feit
10-05-2014, 12:15 PM
1) There was still enough light at the top for someone on the other side to see Haytham, regardless if they would've cared or not. It just didn't make sense.

It didn't make sense because Haytham was not being as discreet as he intended or it didn't make sense because people could potentially see him? Honestly, I think it boils down to whatever improv worked at the time. There have been noticeably worse instances where Assassins like Ezio and Connor have gambled their chances by running head-on into war zones.

And I guess you have a point about Miko, but I never understood why he would go to a place so public if it risked him being killed by the Enemy.

Especially since he had an object that could change the landscape of the AVT war.

Then again, Edward comes to mind as well by that logic...

I don't recall any particular reason in Forsaken or WIKI, but Duncan might be why. It's a kid friendly play, so...

Or, he was there to assassinate Reginald, but hadn't expected Haytham to appear.

SixKeys
10-05-2014, 12:17 PM
3) Revelations - The Prince's Banquet .

Forgot about this one, that was fun.

Namikaze_17
10-05-2014, 12:26 PM
It didn't make sense because Haytham was not being as discreet as he intended or it didn't make sense because people could potentially see him? Honestly, I think it boils down to whatever improv worked at the time. There have been noticeably worse instances where Assassins like Ezio and Connor have gambled their chances by running head-on into war zones.

I don't recall any particular reason in Forsaken or WIKI, but Duncan might be why. It's a kid friendly play, so...

Or, he was there to assassinate Reginald, but hadn't expected Haytham to appear.

Well Both...I just thought it could've been structured better like in the Sly Copper series for example, by not hitting the police lights or something. They definitely could've added something to make you more cautious of who sees you.

And I guess the Kid-friendly thing made sense. But if he knew Birch was there, he must've had to somewhat expect Haytham or anyone to come after him.

Then I ask of why he would bring the Key to a random play if he knew that Templars were after him?

Argh! This much thinking makes my brain hurt... :(

The_Kiwi_
10-05-2014, 12:27 PM
Picking tulips for Sofia
Dat music
Dat picnic
Dem tears
Evrytiem

Shahkulu101
10-05-2014, 01:29 PM
The most innovative thing these games have done is unquestionably the Naval combat system.

VestigialLlama4
10-05-2014, 02:12 PM
I'd say the Parkour traversal, covering a city by foot, going from high and low points, social stealth and crowd patterns and use of historical events and monuments for platforming are pretty innovative. At least I didn't find anything like it before playing it.

EmbodyingSeven5
10-05-2014, 02:21 PM
not sure about innovative but................ my favorite mission from AC 4 is either the one where you claim the jackdaw and move boat to boat fighting guards and freeing prisoners or the one where you kill assassins that are attacking your group of templars

cawatrooper
10-05-2014, 02:24 PM
AC1- They're all pretty much the same, but my favorite assassination might be Sibrand. Good opportunities for stealth and high profile gameplay, and the added challenge of water was cool (though I hated how Altair couldn't swim)

AC2- I actually liked the early mission where Ezio fights the de Pazzi kid in the streets. Nice allusions to Romeo and Juliet, and it shows a more human and real side to our protagonist, compared with Altair who was an Assassin through and through.

ACB- The first Da Vinci War Machine mission. It took me forever to figure it out (I was young and naive), but now I love it, as well as the other war machine missions.

ACR- The mission beneath Galata Tower. ACR gets a lot of flack for being more of an Indiana Jones scavenger hunt than an assassin simulator, but at least Galata Tower lets the player embrace that Indiana Jones style of gameplay to the fullest extent.

ACIII- The theater with Haytham. When I first played this the morning it came out, I was instantly confused as to why I was playing as an English guy named Haytham rather than the new Assassin named Connor that Ubi had been hyping. I've been in love with Haytham ever since. This is my favorite mission, because it offers the player something they did not expect from the game, and in an atmosphere unique to any AC game before it.

ACL- The New York Mission- Aveline and Connor fanservice. They're make cute babies.

ACIV- The assassination of Black Bart- I feel that this mission really emphasized the variety in the game. Leaving your ship to sneak through Robert's camp, having the situation erupt into chaos as Bart escapes on his ship, getting on your own ship to chase him down, fighting him in a hurricane as British and Spanish ships close in- they did everything right with this one.

JustPlainQuirky
10-05-2014, 04:18 PM
Naval system + stalker mechanic

which is why I'm looking forward to Rogue :p

pacmanate
10-05-2014, 04:19 PM
Is there one? No AC mission has ever stood out as Unique.

However AC Brotherhood has the best start to any AC game with the defending the villa thing. Did not expect that at all.

Xstantin
10-05-2014, 07:02 PM
I thought Sky world journeys were pretty neat.

LieutenantRex
10-05-2014, 07:50 PM
Every mission in ACB ever.