PDA

View Full Version : Review of all cards from Sins of Betrayal: Necropolis

superktro
10-05-2014, 08:37 AM
Time for my beloved Necro people

Fortunes:

1)Ritual of Weakness- a real strong counter against necro crippling deck and a good combo with skeleton servant
2)Shadow of Death- really good as necors theme is crippling and it can achieve armageddon for the enemy only

Buildings:

1)Statue of the Spider Goddess- As theres still no namataru deck i dont think it will be a good choice for any competitive deck right now

Creatures:

1)Ancient Ghost- with so many magic creatures incorporeal is not an advantage anymore. ghost decks are no longer viable even against stronghold
2)Eternal Disciple- a good stat card with an inbuiilt no mercy for the meek and with this crippling theme it is a must have
3)Eternal Mentor- Might get really strong with the new theme
4)Eternal Aprentice- really awesome crippling card
5)Eternal Scholar- weakest of the eternal magicians,not much good for me. may be helpful for tertiary board control
6)Skeleton Servant- a good strong card and in combo with ritual of weakness it is really deadly
7)Eternal Archon- first i must say worst funny artwork for necro(he he just look at his face, wtf devs) another deep mountain yeti with a selective ability
and very costly and wont see play. eternal series campire sucks

Overall Comments:

Anastasya will be a must have now. I normally dont talk about heroes as they can be used differently. But anastasya has been made specially for necros new crippling theme and i think its gonna be powerful new theme deck. Good fortunes and good creatures 4/7 is a good release

My other reviews:
Haven- http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/928016-Review-of-all-cards-from-Sins-of-Betrayal-Haven?p=10253830#post10253830
Stronghold- http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/927801-Review-of-all-cards-from-Sins-of-Betrayal-Stronghold
Sanctuary- http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/928015-Review-of-all-cards-from-Sins-of-Betrayal-Sanctuary
Academy- http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/929062-Review-of-all-cards-from-Sins-of-Betrayal-Academy?p=10257279#post10257279
Necropolis- http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/929070-Review-of-all-cards-from-Sins-of-Betrayal-Necropolis?p=10257292#post10257292
Inferno- http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/929075-Review-of-all-cards-from-Sins-of-Betrayal-Inferno?p=10257310#post10257310
Neutral- http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/929080-Review-of-all-cards-from-Sins-of-Betrayal-Neutal?p=10257326#post10257326
Spells- http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/927800-Review-of-all-cards-from-Sins-of-Betrayal-Spells

Xyx0rz
10-05-2014, 03:40 PM
Ritual of Weakness is great if you have Skeleton Servant or if you play against another crippling deck and completely useless in all other scenarios. There are five factions in the game that don't have access to crippling and not even Necro is guaranteed to use it, so you shouldn't go anywhere near Ritual of Weakness unless you're trying to combo with Skeleton Servant. Seems unreliable but quite strong if you get it together (not unlike a certain breeder + building combo).

Shadow of Death only kills things that don't need killing. Why would I waste a card on that? Crippling decks aren't in a hurry and eventually my opponent will feed his crippled creatures to my attackers anyway. At least Cheap Death can get random Coral Ohyakus, Blessed Lake Spirits, Spellhungry Breeders, Bloodclaw Shamans, Stormrage Hunters and half of Haven's creatures.

The biggest problem with Ancient Ghost is that the only hero that would use it (Fleshbane) can't use it (because of his 0 Magic).

Eternal Scholar's ability is useful because now your opponent can no longer move his crippled creatures to block your attackers, making them just waste space. Eternal Scholar's stats are passable for a 4-drop, so I hope that its ability doesn't make it good enough to see play because it would be rather annoying.

The Vampire deck got a so-so card in Eternal Archon (which is reasonably powerful but expensive with really awkward Might requirement) but also lost a so-so card in Newborn Vampire (which is now unplayable because of its 2-Might requirement). So that's a step back compared to the decks that gained something, and it's not like the Vampire deck was that good already.

superktro
10-05-2014, 06:33 PM
agree with your point on eternal scholar but i disagree with shadow of death

Xyx0rz
10-05-2014, 08:35 PM
In what reasonable scenario is Shadow of Death going to do better work than the appropriately cheaper Cheap Death? Just how many 0-Attack creatures do you expect your opponent to have? And why are you in such a hurry to get these useless creatures off your opponent's battlefield?

Cainium
10-06-2014, 01:31 AM
In what reasonable scenario is Shadow of Death going to do better work than the appropriately cheaper Cheap Death? Just how many 0-Attack creatures do you expect your opponent to have? And why are you in such a hurry to get these useless creatures off your opponent's battlefield?

As a finisher.

You don't have "endless" single target removal, and your opponents aren't just playing creatures. On a full board you always would win the game "if" you could wipe out your enemies board without killing your own creatures. Ice Meteor is good for that, but Shadow of Death is even better. And a very solid point too: with the many +1 cards in SoB, it could be deadly leaving to many zero attackers unblocked on the board. Cheap death is more for creatures with great effect while they stay on the board (Blessed lake spirit), or to sneak some damage through single blocked lanes in a stalling late-game scenario.

And it's a fortune, not a spell, so enemy spell ward does nothing.

Ritual of Weakness has some additional usages. First, think of killing a crippled creature. You put ressources into the crippling counters and spent a few attack to kill the creature. Very bad deal. With RoW you can save the counters you already put into the game. It also makes Creeping Darkness more playable, 'cause you "could" correct the random effect a turn later. Another example of its usefulness: Youe enemy has a crippled creature in the back row and a non-crippled in the front row. If you are going to use Moonsilk Strand you would waste 2 crippling counters. You can move them from the back row creature to something else and play Moonsilk Strand without any waste. In short: It allows you to almost never lose generated counters (if you had unlimited access to it of course) except for suicide by your opponent. Making the card pretty powerfull.

LonecatPawstar
10-06-2014, 10:53 AM
Anastasya will be a must have now. I normally dont talk about heroes as they can be used differently. But anastasya has been made specially for necros new crippling theme and i think its gonna be powerful new theme deck. Good fortunes and good creatures 4/7 is a good releasePersonally, I will probably still be using Ariana... the ability to kill creatures is probably more powerful than the ability to apply counters in my book (in the long run).
And it's not like you can't apply 2 crippling counters already with "moonsilk fetters" (2 cost, 3 magic, put 2 crippling counters).
Also people will tend to have counters against "counters" (ahahah!), by putting creatures back in their hands, etc. I tend to kill them in one turn with Ariana's ability so that they can't react.
But I will have to play both to see.

The spider goddess statue is a joke, considering that most spells necro seem to use are curses and stuff. Since they are valid spells, you're basically crippling either your own deck by not putting any negative ongoing spells or crippling your creatures by randomly casting one from the graveyard.
It could be good if there was a card that allowed you to move ongoing spells around though, but I don't think there is.

banduan
10-06-2014, 04:13 PM
I can't think of a single competitive necro curse aside from enthrall. Maybe wither? But that was out of the meta ages ago.

The reason Statue of the Spider Goddess is a joke is because there's only one playable Namtaru, and she's a gimmick card.

superktro
10-06-2014, 05:09 PM
agree calnium

zimbetzimbet
10-12-2014, 12:20 AM
I was browsing through SoB cards just now, and noticed something really strange that bugged me. So I guess my question is, in which universe Ghost creatures are not flyers? I mean, its kinda ridicolous isn't it?

IDK, just saying, its kinda dumb from the estetic point of view if nothing else.

Melee ghost. You serious?

I guess logic behind this was that 0/0/3 incorporal with sweet ability would be OP if made flyer. Well guess what, ITS OP JUST AS IT IS. As there will be tons of ghost themed decks in future, which is obvious cause I bet the next expansion or the one after will probably feature some ghost creatures (as we learned from the past regarding creature type politics)

I'm talkingabout that lingering ghost ofc

banduan
10-12-2014, 11:53 AM
So I guess my question is, in which universe Ghost creatures are not flyers?

This one. I've known quite a few ghosts myself and though they're quite friendly, none of them fly.