PDA

View Full Version : banduan's review of SoB

banduan
10-04-2014, 07:41 AM
update: Portal House of AnimeFanClub rerated, thanks to Mordochero.
update: Xyxorz says the magic steal thing can't steal uniques
update: LordUthyr of reddit points out I missed out Eternal Scholar. I blame the spoilers I got. Anyone but me really. Anyway, updated with my review.
update: added links to card list, thanks to mxksowie on reddit for pointing this out

Right you SoB, fans... I know this is probably going to be just another drop in an ocean of reviews but I'm gonna do it.

In a controversial deviation from the standard reviewing template, I'm just going to list everything from stuff I rate to stuff I don't and you probably shouldn't if you value your DoC playing career.

You'll love your SoB cos it's full of sweet stuff to fool around with. Note I do not tend to consider play requirements too much unless they're real high. A play requirement of 2 fortune just means a destiny champ will use it better.

Note, if you don't know where to find the cards:
go here (http://mmdoc.cardgamerobot.com/cards.php?query=&school_radio=any&expansion_radio=any&expansion%5B%5D=Sins+of+Betrayal&school_subtype=any&sortby=cardname)
or here (http://www.mmdoctools.com/cards?search=1&name=&type%5B%5D=0&rarity%5B%5D=0&faction%5B%5D=0&school%5B%5D=0&set%5B%5D=s07&format=0&size=normal)

Delicious Non-Illusory Cakes
Stuff so sweet your diabetes kills you just from lookin at 'em. These make you want to make a deck with 'em, if your deck could have them they should have them, if they couldn't you'd better have a gawddamned good reason why you aren't playing the decks that can (e.g. so you can play with other Delicious Cakes)

Arcane Master Djinn, Academy: She comes into play as a 2/2/6 for 4 which Hakeem only can reliably play, which is durable but totally meh. Then she draws a card, which is good. Then if she hangs around just blocking stuff or running away she draws another card, which is good. Then she draws another, which is a bit much. Then another, why haven't you killed her yet?

Alone in the Dark, Dark: I might be overrating this, but untargetted kill for 3 resource and 3Ma is so so sweet deadly honey. Decks will go to 3Ma instead of 4Ma cos they won't be bothered with Soulreaver. Yes, I know it's 'random'.

Kiril, Inferno: Whoaaaa. So you have Deleb yeah and she rocked the world for a bit yeah then she kinda lost steam so why don't we let them demon dudes have another face-punching hero, with a steroid ability just in case. This guy was dissed at his high school prom so his stats are aggro and spell schools kill.

Spell Stealer Heretic, Inferno: Somewhere in UBI hq is a demon circle. This is why demons always gets good stuff. Plus the CEO's new honey is a succubus. Only this can explain why they can have spell stealers go to hell and do stuff like this. Expensive but it's a 7hp body with a second use for your Wraths, Reavers, 4Ever Alones, Fire this, Fire that, Fire the design team, Fire everybody.

Delectable Doughnuts with a Creamy Filling
They make you crave for more! These are prime candidates for the decks they'd fit into, form a major part of their appeal and you want as many as you can fit in without screwing up your curve. Cos a bad curve unfortunately demands a diet.

Warding Inquisitor, haven: sucky stats hold him back, and he's expensive in a deck you wanna pack loads of expensive stuff in. But that ability is a middle-finger to the meteor-throwing establishment, allowing you to set up alpha strikes only fearing fortunes.

Eternal Mentor, necropolis: It's a Bloodthirst which needs setup... but is permanent and on a shooter.

Ariana, Chosen of the Void, Neutral: Expensive but hey, it's Void Ripple on a stick. Gets rid of tough stains like Moon Phoenix better than any detergent out there.

Free Mage Altar, Neutral: What's this combotastic card doing here? It's here because a lot of Inferno creeps that UBI employees worship are either Prime, Fire or Dark and a War Tent that doesn't go away is kind of good.

Shogun, sanctuary: An expensive nuke with a decent body, great for late game tempo swings.

Torii of the Eternal Empress, sanctuary: I'm not even sure if this isn't another Delicious Cake. The only problem is it doesn't work by itself. But anything that goes on it becomes a Coral Priestess and you'll be bouncing stuff all day long to reuse it.

Sandor, stronghold: Not only is Sandy, can I call him Sandy? Not only is Sandy possibly a better version of Toghrul with access to 4Ever Alone, he also opens up the possibility of Stronghold control. One can dream.

Frozen Wave, Water: If you can't beat 'em drown 'em. Drown 'em all. If they fly away dial 1-800-FATHER-SKY

Ice Spear, Water: Is this controversial? Is a teeny weeny +1 nothing to make Creamy Doughnuts of? Maybe. Or maybe I just hate having 1 resource spare I can do jack with, and maybe I just love being able to throw one or two +1 buffs here and there where I want 'em every turn.

Nutritious Filling Flapjacks Your Mom Forces You to Eat
And you know what, mother knows best. These will help make some decks tick and fill 'em out, or are just nice alternatives if you can't find anything better.

Elisabeth, academy: A very boring hero that allows you to make boring run of the mill decks that won't be as good as Hakeem.

Embers Elemental, academy: Hermergerd combo with Free Mage Altar! Actually, it's just a dude with a real nice body. Plus points for being the first double elemental.

Shifting Fates, academy: Oooh recursion. Added love now that the forbidden love of Titan Workforce no longer burns so fierce.

Storm Rage, Air: It's kind of like Forked Firebolt only less flexible but with upside of maybe 3 targets.

Illusory Nightmare, Dark: Control decks will use these to force players to bunch up to deal damage. Its power does depend on the opponent otherwise it'd be very good Delicious Doughnut, since it stacks.

Nature's Wrath, Earth: Why aren't the elementals Earth? Whyyyyy???

Waning Moon, Event: Shalan's spirits are now have a bouncy trampoline to ply with.

Fire Rain,Fire: Good because two separate power lanes is a strat. Bad cos in decks you'd easier play this your opponent won't power lane. Better in Academy.

Blessing Inquisitor, haven: Yes, it's an Honor creature. But it's a fat honor creature that's also Melee Shooter. Shooter honor? Sanctuary goes green with envy which you can't see cos they're already green.

Chapel of Elrath, haven: In order for buildings to be good they must have an immediate benefit and be cheap. This is dirt cheap, and any light creature will allow immediate benefit.

Lesser Glory, haven: Totally dull lady spirit who sits around looking pathetic refusing to die until a shiny inquisitor saves her.

Wolf Priest, haven: Overcosted Shark Guard? Maybe. Actually has attack and buffs other overcosted shark guards around it.

Blazing Succubus,inferno: 4drops aren't an inferno forte, and this may be the best one yet.

Bound Succubus, inferno: An expensive clock that just rounds around bleeding you badly. Is she good? Yes. Is she better than that other girl who runs around with your credit card? Probaby not.

Ur-Jubbal's Minion, inferno: This girl's version of domestic violence is that she hits you you hit her she hits back just as hard. Life succubus. And then you die.

Holy Light, Light: Not exactly cheap buff, but this means if your guys are allowed to hang around they'll start hitting hard. Your guys have 7hp and tend to hang around.

Sunrise, Light: I do like getting back my Angel Commanders on the cheap.

Anastasya, necropolis: Great ability with sucky spell school combo. Will be fun to make a deck around.

Eternal Apprentice, necropolis: Runs around and makes everyone a cripple. Such a bundle of love. Rush decks will love him even more. Not.

Eternal Disciple, necropolis: He's fat but doesn't block as well as undead cows. He does cut down trees and send shark guards off for an early shower. Sharks need showers?

Eternal Scholar, necropolis: Your standard stats shooter with an interesting ability, meaning their crippled dudes can't run away and continue to get crippled. That's a bit sadistic! Crucially though, he doesn't do any crippling himself, and is thus fighting a losing battle in a slot with Spider Guard and Archlich as candidates.

Ritual of Weakness,necropolis: allows you to maximise use of crippling tokens in a cripple deck, with a crippled skelly combo for extra love. Useless elsewhere.

Dousing Kappa, sanctuary: shooty spirit that soon becomes a shooty shoving spirit that soon becomes a shooty shoving bouncy spirit, kappa.

Irina sanctuary: Hello Sandor's mom can I be as booooring as you?

Fountain Spirit, sanctuary: cheap, can't be targetted and so everyone wants to make a Buff the Fountain Spirit deck.

Centaur Sharpshooter, stronghold: shooty anywhere on a survivable body. Barely makes Flapjack status.

Mother Harpy, stronghold: Mass Zefiria for harpies! How many playable harpies are there? One. Now two. Maybe two more in the future? Oh well.

Pao Scout, stronghold: Basically a slightly worse juggernaut. That's ok cos Juggernauts are very good fiery flavoured Doughnuts.

Shark Bodyguard, sanctuary: Another combotastic card, but one on a sturdy body. The combos can get ugly.

Chunky Migraine-Inducing Marzipan Bars
They taste funky and might make you a bit tipsy. These cards are great to add that extra spice to your deck or just step into the wild side a little you crazy rascal you.

Agyn Mercenary, Neutral: Not enough mercs for that merc deck, and I suspect there'll never be. Awesome late game though I guess.

Altar of Elemental Affinity, academy: well, since they're all prime basically once you put it down all your other guys get cheaper. Big problem is it's pricey by itself.

Crimson Tower, academy: it's a powerful effect on an expensive building. Just perhaps not quite powerful enough for the cost.

Dissolve, Prime: when the meta is all magic dudes this'll be great. But your opponent can play around it.

Time-Bender Djinn , academy: classic win more card. Unlike a time jump, you get resources in that extra turn, and the genie itself ain't too bad.

Void Trap, academy: cheap card draw, but you need to feed it first. Great late game card you'd like to have more of but shouldn't. Remember it competes with your Phoenix for food.

Vine Trap, Earth: If the meta becomes a fluttery mess this could be a useful one-of.

Angel's Temple, haven: Not quite Lake Spirit but not too shabby- unless it really does work like its worded and is thus broken. Expensive and kills the poor guy inside real quick.

Cleansing Priestess, haven: Anastasia's nightmare lol. Nice recovery creature who needs better stats to justify being more than just meta.

Holy Lighthouse, haven: If the world turns all skeleton shaped this is a quick and easy cure.

Executioner Succubus, inferno: Useful for late game spot kill in decks that don't have them. Too expensive to be staple.

Scarification, inferno: Another useful toy you want one of in your deck, especially in rush. Can be a game turner, and could be a late game Iggy combo starter.

Throne of Ahribban, inferno: super expensive building but imagine a fireblast creature inside this thing! Major fireworks!

Walls of Destruction, inferno: Consideration for Mass Rage

Statue of the Spider Goddess, necropolis: gimmick deck, might actually make Namtaru channeler work- doubt it.

Arcane Eagle, Neutral: There's gonna be a Sanctuary spirit deck and this is gonna be super-buff and super dead next turn.

Magic Deal, Neutral: Not bad meta tool, unfortunately still forces the destiny requirement.

Magic Interdiction, Neutral: A tempo card! These kind of cards are not easy to play but could well turn out to be awesome. Randomly hoses Academy.

Portal of House Anima, academy: very odd card. The cards you want to bounce and do stuff are in sanctuary, so not sure what you'd do with this. Recovering damaged spirits is not a bad idea, but a trip to strip club achieves just as much for less investment. (UPDATE: Mordochero points out in comments Djinn are spirits... and one particular Djinn can be free. Miranda shenanigans! Crazy Infinite Res Combo!)

Warding Pillars, Neutral: Really expensive but imagine Benevolent Angel sitting here going lalalala all is right with the world.

Week of the Elementals, Neutral: Another gimmick deck card, not enough good neutral spirits, but a random double draw would make those spirits super cheap. Then they get swarmed all over by insects.

Magic Steal, Prime: Lucky draw time! Totally unreliable totally rocks when you get an Ariana with it. (UPDATE: Xyxorz says it won't get uniques. Pretend I said the Banshee instead. Everybody knows Banshee is a dead Ariana from another dimension anyway)

Prime Shield, Prime: Strong but soooooo expensive.

Foreknowledge, sanctuary: 4res 4des ensures this is rarely going to replace Horseshoe. Maybe in Fortune Shalan.

Frozen Fists, sanctuary: Permanent buff for spirits. Costly but low requirements, very strong and stacks! Could turn out to be a lot better than it appears and is probably broken at 3res.

Greater Kirin,, sanctuary: It's big, it's fat, it's reaver bait.

Jungle Outpost, stronghold: If there's actually going to be a centaur deck, this could be one reason why. Not quite double attack though.

Shalassa's Temple, sanctuary: Focused blast for 2 isn't bad, and it's cheap enough to splash.

Sweet & Spicy Bon-Bons
Seriously, you gonna eat that? Cards that maybe you should think about before using.

Captive Djinn, academy: basically, an Angel Protector that won't work on uniques but also works on fortunes, albeit with lower requirements and suckier stats.

Surging Djinn, academy: interesting due to interaction with Co9. Otherwise a bit suicidal.

Blast of Wind, Air: It's not too bad, making tons of stuff not attack. But if they're bunched up together like this you'd rather nuke them.

Wind Arrows, Air: It's not too bad an ability, but possibly not great enough to warrant a card, and definitely not while there's so few air creatures.

Darkness Curse, Dark: Everybody is crippled. Including your guys. And you probably only crippled 2-3 of their dudes...

Nature's Fortitude, Earth: Lots of HP is actually really nice but ultimately this is an enchantment that does not provide immediate benefit, allowing your opponent all sorts of ways to just 2for1.

Flaring Rage, Fire: It'll be a total headache trying to figure out this will work when you're not already winning.

Anton, haven: Worse hero of the set, with an ability that is so costly for so few stackables.

Construction, haven: It's not bad. One day you'll get a combo building deck and this will be a crucial component. One day. Maybe.

Heretic Library, inferno: Well I guess it's cheap for the effect. But so limited.

Ritual of the Dark Flame, inferno: Sacred venom fumes with lots and lots of requirements.

Eternal Archon, necropolis: Fatty! Dead next turn.

Skeleton Servant, necropolis: Combo mania! If the combo is indeed pulled of it's quite scary. But it's no Breeder stack combo.

the Shadow of Death, necropolis: if so many things have 0 attack why are you so scared of them. OK, maybe you just hate gargoyles.

Bursting Fire Elemental, Neutral: overcosted due to being a shooter with Area Blast. Might see play with Week of the Elementals. Might.

Mercenary Hill Fort, Neutral: Can we have more mercenaries please? Probably not cos then everyone might just play them.

Typhoon, sanctuary: delay them for a turn so you can pull off the dreaded Sanctuary combo of doooooom. Which doesn't exist.

Beastman Warcry, stronghold: it's 4 damage but you have to jump through horsey feathery hoops to get there.

Centaur Warchieftain, stronghold: there's a dearth of good attack anywhere creatures and this guy is too expensive anyway.

Elder Centaur, stronghold: the older the centaur the less balls it has.

Gust Harpy, stronghold: expensive Shredder that doesn't need to run around everywhere.

Limp Biscuits Only Your Dog Would Eat
Be a good man and buy some proper dog food. Why would you even use these cards?

Fire Splash, Fire: Splash. Did you just tickle me?

Supply Caravan, haven: I paid all this to get all this so I can get paid all this.

Holy Sacrifice, Light: A worse martyr.

Ancient Ghost, necropolis: Poor Fleshbane.And why are all ghosts girls? (even the owl)

Magma Elemental, Neutral: I'll protect you against fire! OMG BUGS EVERYWHERE HALP

Overwhelming Forces, Neutral: Overwhelming force of 3 kind of guys.

Juvenile Centaur,[/B ]stronghold: A succubus that costs more that maybe attacks anywhere.

[B]Pao Harpy, stronghold: what orcs eat at Nandos.

Ice Curse, Water: Immolation at double the price! Now all you need to do is bounce me instead!

banduan
10-04-2014, 02:09 PM
right it's all done! Might do some meta predictions next.

Xyx0rz
10-04-2014, 08:03 PM
Seems pretty accurate, except for this little gem:

Magic Steal, Prime: Lucky draw time! Totally unreliable totally rocks when you get an Ariana with it.
Not sure if serious or if imitating LSV Magic set review.

Mordochero
10-04-2014, 10:12 PM
lets me teach you how to use PORTAL HOUSE OF ANIMA
imagine that 0 cost Djin Cloudass already in arena
then put dervish tent here and put anima house in another lane,atack whatever in front of Djin then run away too portal
Pee ka bo i m back again with 0 cost
wait that is not all :lets me introduce my new friend since i do that paininass run away "another 3 res Arabian baldie for you" next turn i will introduce another friends special for you

npavcec
10-04-2014, 10:13 PM
Awesome article! Banduan, you have a talent.. :)

Mordochero
10-04-2014, 10:30 PM
dont underestimed that Mercenery hill fort
it can become scary card in santuary hero with ice spear and coral priest

banduan
10-05-2014, 12:08 AM
then put dervish tent here and put anima house in another lane,atack whatever in front of Djin then run away too portal
Pee ka bo i m back again with 0 cost
wait that is not all :lets me introduce my new friend since i do that paininass run away "another 3 res Arabian baldie for you" next turn i will introduce another friends special for you

ya know what, I never realised Djinns were spirits. Dervish+Anima sounds like hefty combo though, what room do you have for spells?

edit: will update OP with this newly gained knowledge

banduan
10-05-2014, 12:12 AM

They have mercenaries? Coral priest isn't one.

I do understand giving anyone access to easy double attack is a big deal, but then you gotta play with mercs. And there's only 3 in standard, possibly not getting more because I can't understand the design logic of making a neutral theme everyone can play that viable.

Seems pretty accurate, except for this little gem:

Not sure if serious or if imitating LSV Magic set review.

It's been a while since I read an LSV review since I no longer play Magic. But I don't remember him saying this. Anyway, I'm always serious. Deadly sweetcupcakes serious.

Mordochero
10-05-2014, 02:02 AM
mercenery included they should call turn 2 or 3
ice spear is steroid for mercenary after get double atck while coral priest for clearing way for mercenary so they can throw punches to enemy hero face
why it s scary? because they all cheap and fast card

banduan
10-05-2014, 04:03 AM
mercenery included they should call turn 2 or 3
ice spear is steroid for mercenary after get double atck while coral priest for clearing way for mercenary so they can throw punches to enemy hero face
why it s scary? because they all cheap and fast card

might be great in crag hack open, but what you're suggesting here is:

Merc - 2 res
Coral Priestess - 3 res
2x Ice Spear - 2 res
2x Attack - 2 res
Merc fort - 2 res

11 res altogether, even split across 3 turns that is not fast, it is also very fragile.

It is much much better later on in the game when you can stick it on any merc you have in play and clear the way for quick damage to the face. But then, your opponent would be expecting it. Also, you'd have to survive the early game playing mercs.

Now I'm not totally dissing this, I just think if Merc fort is gonna see play it'll be with Morgan.

Aranarth78
10-05-2014, 04:32 AM
Torii of the Eternal Empress in Shalan is ******ed. Put a Silver Bowl Spirit on it, then put a 2 res creature on it, then Sinkhole (or Truce), put back Silver Bowl Spirit, put back the 2 res creature, and for 4 res you did 4 outmaneuver and put 2 creatures on board. Blue Zephiria (most OP unique) has some serious competition...

banduan
10-05-2014, 04:39 AM
yup, Torii is indeed awesome. Unlike Blue Zef tho it does not leave a nice 3/3/6 body behind. In the end though they're two different kind of things and you could just as well dump Blue Zef on a Torii and just plain mess around with everything.

Xyx0rz
10-05-2014, 02:25 PM
Dervish Tent only gives Swift to creatures that move to it. Not to creatures that were already there. So this "combo" is "nombo".

Sanctuary heroes with Ice Spears and Coral Priestesses are scary. Mercenaries aren't.

It's been a while since I read an LSV review since I no longer play Magic. But I don't remember him saying this. Anyway, I'm always serious. Deadly sweetcupcakes serious.
LSV is known for occasional trolling in his set reviews, and Magic Steal cannot steal Ariana, only non-uniques.

banduan
10-05-2014, 04:12 PM
LSV is known for occasional trolling in his set reviews, and Magic Steal cannot steal Ariana, only non-uniques.

Ah I get it. Totally missed the non-unique, and I even checked. Will update OP.

As for LSV, reckon it's probably an in-joke. MtG players often make mistakes like this.

Xyx0rz
10-05-2014, 08:23 PM
LSV totally does it on purpose. And it would have been funny here, too. ;)

banduan
10-07-2014, 05:11 AM
Noooo wouldn't do that on purpose, I hope I got enough funnies in the review without having to troll everyone!

Anyway, curious what people think of my rating of Ice Spear, Torii and Heretic. The first two I always thought of rating in the highest tier but down-rated due to their reliance on creatures. But it's beginning to be obvious the cheapness of Ice Spear just completely outweighs the opportunity threshold and it could well be broken.

Heretic OTOH I think broken because I hate Wrath and hate the idea of more Wraths, and I think it's way too flexible. But it is indeed expensive and relies on spells in discard which may not stay there for long.

edit: also- I had a rethink about Supply Chains which I thought was garbage, but thinking again because stack decks could eventually have 8 buildings if another stack creature for Haven (maybe neutral) is ever released. Supply Chains could then potentially be a River of Gems style boost for an alpha strike turn, with the assistance of Warding Inquisitor

banduan
10-07-2014, 04:00 PM
I missed Eternal Scholar, and have updated with the review.

d90.Dennis
10-07-2014, 10:19 PM
I wouldn't have rated Warding Inquisitor and Free Mage Altar so high in Tier 2 (Doughnutts tier).
I also don't think that Sandor is thar good as well (Stronghold have little use for Dark magic) and am not sure if I would pick him over Toghrul or Shaar (which rather good after the Invoker buff).
Shogun seems good but the cost might make him not that worthwhile (unless you are Kenage that goes for 3 magic).

Other cards that I would rate higher than you did are:
Illusionary Nightmare - very good card in my opinion (unlike Cripping Darkness) especially in Heroes with Water magic to punish close formations.
Nature's Wrath - seems like really nice value for 5 and maybe something other than Insect Swarm will be played in Earth magic using heroes.
Blazing Succubus - Amazing in Kiril, very good with a strong ability all around.
Dousing Kappa - mediocre attack/retaliation but at last another 6hp creature for sanctuary and with a nice ability.
Arcane Eagle - decent stats and very good abilities, staple for spirit decks (Sanctuary and Academy can build them), only creature which can justify playing Week of the Elementals.
Frozen Fists - a bit pricey but very usefull in spirit decks (with Yukiko most likely).
Greater Kirin - very nice stats and powerfull abilities (and he is a melee-shooter), very nice 5 drop.
Shalasa's Temple - cheap enough to be playable and a pretty good effect, luckily there is no shortage of water creatutes in Sanctuary.
Void Trap and Shifting Fates - very good fortunes for Academy that strengthen their card advantage potential.
Blessing Inquisitor - good stats and a nice ability for light decks.
Storm Rage - at last a playable Air spell.
Time-Bender Djinn - very situational (and powerful) ability but pretty good stats.
Surging Djinn - excellent stats for a 3-drop, with 7hp it's not so easy to kill and the drawback can be compensated by Magic-Channeling creatures or Co9.
Typhoon - a rather nice defensive card, like an upgraded The Frozen Maze.
Executioner Succubus - rather expensive and suffers from the abundance of other good Inferno creatures but is rather good al the same.

banduan
10-08-2014, 03:10 AM
Great post Dennis, I'm gonna try and do justice by responding to everything.

I wouldn't have rated Warding Inquisitor and Free Mage Altar so high in Tier 2 (Doughnutts tier).

They are not ranked within each tier. It's all alphabetical!
If you meant they shouldn't be in that tier, then I'll explain why I put them there:
Warding Inquisitor is a card I want to make decks of. It is too expensive to pack 4 of but it is a very powerful effect allowing you to build up for a massive turn, something rarely achievable in DoC.
Free Mage Altar you can't afford too many of cos it's a building, but offers a similar function to War Tent and doesn't go away. It's very good, and Kiriil should have 2.

I also don't think that Sandor is thar good as well (Stronghold have little use for Dark magic) and am not sure if I would pick him over Toghrul or Shaar (which rather good after the Invoker buff).
Shogun seems good but the cost might make him not that worthwhile (unless you are Kenage that goes for 3 magic).

Good point about Shaar there, because the ability is good and being one raise away from IS is awesome, both Toghrul and Sandor outshone by that. However, Sandor with Dark allows for access to decktypes Stronghold didn't have before- heavy control. Of course, Shaar does the same, I'd rate her at Cake tier, but Sandor allows the Hakeemish sort of control with spot kills backed by IS.
Shogun is probably misplaced and should be in Marzipan. The reason I rated him so high is because of Kenage, but I missed the 3 magic requirement.

Other cards that I would rate higher than you did are:
Illusionary Nightmare - very good card in my opinion (unlike Cripping Darkness) especially in Heroes with Water magic to punish close formations.
Nature's Wrath - seems like really nice value for 5 and maybe something other than Insect Swarm will be played in Earth magic using heroes.
Blazing Succubus - Amazing in Kiril, very good with a strong ability all around.

Yes, I could be wrong on nightmares but my feeling is since your opponent can control what happens it's a little reduced in power. Still a solid card.
Nature's Wrath is great for the card value, but at 5 cost cards need to be high impact.
Blazing S should probably be Donut level in hindsight, it is indeed very good.

Dousing Kappa - mediocre attack/retaliation but at last another 6hp creature for sanctuary and with a nice ability.
Arcane Eagle - decent stats and very good abilities, staple for spirit decks (Sanctuary and Academy can build them), only creature which can justify playing Week of the Elementals.
Frozen Fists - a bit pricey but very usefull in spirit decks (with Yukiko most likely).

Dousing Kappa lacks that 'gee whiz' factor that would make you really want to make decks with it but is still a solid card.
Arcane Eagle is very hard to rate. It doesn't have decent stats at all, it has bad stats for a 5 drop flyer. It's all about that ability and it is high impact in a spirit deck but good only with strong board position. This is why I put it at Marzipan level, which is not worse than Flapjack level, perhaps even better, but more situational.

Greater Kirin - very nice stats and powerfull abilities (and he is a melee-shooter), very nice 5 drop.
Shalasa's Temple - cheap enough to be playable and a pretty good effect, luckily there is no shortage of water creatutes in Sanctuary.
Void Trap and Shifting Fates - very good fortunes for Academy that strengthen their card advantage potential.

Kiriin requires 5 might but doesn't protect itself nor have immediate impact, at 5 resource this makes playing it a risk.
Shalassa's temple is situationally great and is rated as such- that's what the Marzipan tier is.
Shifting Fates is good card advantage that allows you to play those prime cards taking a bit more risk, and getting back two cloudshapers is good. Its late game utility holds it back a little, and Void Trap being only useful late game (or post boardwipe) makes it Marzipan.

Blessing Inquisitor - good stats and a nice ability for light decks.
Storm Rage - at last a playable Air spell.

Both solid cards and rated as such.

Time-Bender Djinn - very situational (and powerful) ability but pretty good stats.
Surging Djinn - excellent stats for a 3-drop, with 7hp it's not so easy to kill and the drawback can be compensated by Magic-Channeling creatures or Co9.
Typhoon - a rather nice defensive card, like an upgraded The Frozen Maze.

All are very situational. Timebender has steep requirements so needed the good stats.
Surging djinn does work with Co9 which I noted, but without that Co9 what're you going to do? It's just very risky. Note Academy critters tend to have magic requirements.
Typhoon is probably better than frozen maze, but frozen maze isn't great. Both are really not so great Stone Walls.

Executioner Succubus - rather expensive and suffers from the abundance of other good Inferno creatures but is rather good al the same.

basically too expensive. Yes it's a better statted Banshee but note how even Banshee is seeing less play now and she doesn't have the damage restriction.

Vesuvean
10-08-2014, 10:18 AM
Typhoon, sanctuary: delay them for a turn so you can pull off the dreaded Sanctuary combo of doooooom. Which doesn't exist.

Shalan capped
1 tori of the eternal empress
2 kabuki tei
1 Sayama warden
1 bodyguard shark

=> wombo combo
(kabuki on the tori => relocate => 1 damage => kabuki on kabuki => relocate 1 damage => 1 st kabuki is now free => wombo combo)

yeah I know it is a 5 cards combo but every cards of the combo are playable in the deck without any adjustement.

banduan
10-08-2014, 06:35 PM
Shalan capped
1 tori of the eternal empress
2 kabuki tei
1 Sayama warden
1 bodyguard shark

=> wombo combo
(kabuki on the tori => relocate => 1 damage => kabuki on kabuki => relocate 1 damage => 1 st kabuki is now free => wombo combo)

yeah I know it is a 5 cards combo but every cards of the combo are playable in the deck without any adjustement.

I stand corrected. However, just as you didn't really stall just to play the Open combo-wombo, you probably won't be stalling to do this either.

Vesuvean
10-09-2014, 09:02 AM
Agree, I didn't said that the typhonne was an essential part of the combo neither that you'll need to stall to do this combo.
But just when you say that sanctuary doesn't have a freaking dread combo it is untrue it exists. (Not That I say that is will be playable and effective neither.)

d90.Dennis
10-09-2014, 10:06 AM
I think that Shogun opens up some nice combos as well.

Typhoon can be a way to buy time to set up expensive buildings like Kabuki Dojo.
Or be abused by Spy Decks (anyone plays those ?) with Kabuki Infiltrator to lock the opponent with recurring this fortune.

banduan
10-09-2014, 01:02 PM
Agree, I didn't said that the typhonne was an essential part of the combo neither that you'll need to stall to do this combo.
But just when you say that sanctuary doesn't have a freaking dread combo it is untrue it exists. (Not That I say that is will be playable and effective neither.)

Fair enough. I wouldn't say the combo is unplayable though. Unlike Open combo wombo no part of this combo is as generally useless as Ice splinters.

zenithale
10-09-2014, 02:06 PM
Now in open you don't need Ice splinters anymore with Sanctuary, which is really scary.

d90.Dennis
10-09-2014, 03:49 PM
What are your thoughts on the following spells:
1. Nature's Wrath
2. Fire Rain
3. Storm Rage

Which heroes should use them ? (and for which deck types)
How many copies do they justify including in the deck ?

npavcec
10-09-2014, 09:35 PM
I stand corrected. However, just as you didn't really stall just to play the Open combo-wombo, you probably won't be stalling to do this either.

I actually found Typhoon AWESOME card to prepare field for the about any water AoE spell to make full effect. Definitely A+ card for Yukiko!

Mordochero
10-11-2014, 04:58 PM
put the shadow of death in OP faction since this card the reason Anastasya can perfrom OTK combo

banduan
10-11-2014, 05:51 PM
Now in open you don't need Ice splinters anymore with Sanctuary, which is really scary.

Agreed! The shark is a bit harder to play though, so if you're just purely going for the combo, probably splinters.

What are your thoughts on the following spells:
1. Nature's Wrath
2. Fire Rain
3. Storm Rage

Which heroes should use them ? (and for which deck types)
How many copies do they justify including in the deck ?

Nature's Wrath works for any of the slower decks or heavy control. It's essentially a card for 2 creatures not needing to raise might, so decks that go 2/5/3 for example could use them to get more bodies. Apparently, mentioned elsewhere, they're also spirits so I guess they might go into a spirit deck. Have no idea why the cars don't say so. Anything from 2-4 copies could be played, depending on how low might/creatures you go.

Fire rain is probably best suited for heavy control that doesn't have access to Insect Swarm. Yes, Arkath's Wrath does the job better but Fire Rain has the upside of allowing you to be more selective. I'd unlikely play 4 unless maybe there's a combo with it. Probably 2 at most.

Storm Rage goes into any deck that wants a Forked Firebolt-style utility damage spell but doesn't have access to Water or Fire. e.g. Cass. Its not the greatest spell, but solid enough to be similar to Magma Burst in utility. Note it bypasses Day of Sanctuary. If you plan on playing it, anything between 2-4 is a good number.

I actually found Typhoon AWESOME card to prepare field for the about any water AoE spell to make full effect. Definitely A+ card for Yukiko!

Are you suggesting when you stall them they'd play into your spell? Cos resources for Typhoon could have been used on Coral Priestess.

put the shadow of death in OP faction since this card the reason Anastasya can perfrom OTK combo

If you've got enough creatures reduced to 0 to trigger the OTK turn, it wasn't Shadow of Death that won you the game.

zuom000
10-11-2014, 08:01 PM
Well when i'll get 4 ice curses i'm going to do mother namtaru ice immolation deck, with namtaru and magic armor :D

d90.Dennis
10-11-2014, 11:06 PM
Now that I think about it Prime Shield is really good, it makes Nahla Immolation a very good deck again even after Tian Workforce nerf and allows you to play with more creatures.

banduan
10-12-2014, 03:33 AM
Well when i'll get 4 ice curses i'm going to do mother namtaru ice immolation deck, with namtaru and magic armor :D

could be a really cool deck... but boy that's a big combo!

Mordochero
10-12-2014, 02:53 PM
Banduan ur opinion about Anton is not up to date
so far Anton is the most OP haven hero
after playing with this Hero you will find another Haven hero like Baby
it s have terifying speed more than kieran rush last season
Anton is Haven rush with Turbo speed

banduan
10-13-2014, 01:42 AM
Well two things:
- I'd really like to see a replay or three of this OP Anton deck.
- Even if he did turn out OP, I won't change my review of it. That turns it from a spoiler review to a play review which is a bit unfair. I might do a play review just to see how correct/incorrect I as and by how much. (and only after 2 months of SoB)

Gdinut
10-15-2014, 10:23 PM
Well two things:
- I'd really like to see a replay or three of this OP Anton deck.
- Even if he did turn out OP, I won't change my review of it. That turns it from a spoiler review to a play review which is a bit unfair. I might do a play review just to see how correct/incorrect I as and by how much. (and only after 2 months of SoB)

i would like to see a few replays especially against inferno decks and some necro
the 2 or 3 times ive faced anton ive pretty much ran over him...his abilty is not bad, but it is very circunstancial... asides it only works on 2 creatures and barracks tokens that is it...

banduan
10-16-2014, 09:17 AM
Yes, I just can't see Anton having "terrifying speed"

This is just theorycrafting , but lets say Anton plays:
T2 2-drop stackable
T3 3-drop stackable
T4 Anton ability: add 2 attack overall....

That's not terrifying at all!

Compare Kiril

T1: Lava Spawn / Maniac
T2: Fire demon of some sort
T3: Another fire/dark demon 3 might
T4: Kirill ability, spam board add 8 attack.

Now that's terrifying!

d90.Dennis
10-27-2014, 02:18 PM
Any cards that you changed your mind about ?

Some cards that seem better than I initially thought are:
1. Bound Succubus - It is already considered OP and is called to be nerfed.
2. Shark Bodyguard - I already thought it was good but it seems better as it blocks well with low requirememts and hurts creatures that move (and not only the ones affected by spells and relocating abilities).
3. Altar of Elemental Affinity - it not only makes Primal Academy creatures cheaper (for Construct or Spirit decks) but spells too so it can be very good in Nahla and Myranda (cheaper: Time Jump, Disintegration, Magic Steal, Relocation, Town Portal, Void Ripple sound rather good).
4. Magic Steal - it seems that there are more good targets for this than I thought.

banduan
10-28-2014, 06:48 AM
I'll do a "played" review in a fortnight or so based on how everything turned out. There are a lot of viable cards this set (except for poor Stronghold, yeah nobody cries for the Orcs).