PDA

View Full Version : Undelivered promises regarding AC games

dimbismp
10-02-2014, 02:21 PM
In this thread you can post promises that developers made and weren't delivered.In other words cool things that we were told that there would be in the game and eventually weren't.
Of course AC3 is infamous about that,but i believe that this phenomenon appeared in all games to date at some extent.You can also post POSSIBLE undelivered promises for ACU/ACRo.For example,i believe that hard combat(obviously) won't appear in ACU(honestly who believes that arno can kill 3-5 guards max?) Aand also random events will appear in a limited extent(i think this was promised in E3)
Finally,do you believe that this phenomenon has to do with marketing or the developers just didn't had time to fulfill our dreams?

Mr_Shade
10-02-2014, 02:25 PM
This subject has been posted about before - several times - and game changes can happen - and are sometimes unavoidable.

Megas_Doux
10-02-2014, 02:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUlSWpjmHf4

A rather OLD trend:

1 Breakable objects through swords, not available until AC Revelations.
2 Wandering within cities at horse, not available until AC Brotherhood.

ze_topazio
10-02-2014, 03:02 PM
I remember that demo like it was yesterday, time sure flies by.

I-Like-Pie45
10-02-2014, 03:06 PM
Ubisoft probably removed those features so they could advertise t them in a later game

Just like Rockstar

dewgel
10-02-2014, 03:23 PM
I'm not sure it's any fault of Ubisoft's, but they do indeed need to stop telling us features until they know for sure it's shipping with the game.

A few examples that narked me.

-ACRev, Desmond looked so much more interesting in the trailers. Having him locked inside the portal room, thumping on the wall with messages written all over was great.. That would've been better than the first person, but time constraints are understandable.
-AC3, originally it would contain lakes that would freeze over in the Winter allowing new areas to be explored.
-AC3, originally you could explore live camps in the Frontier, and they would all have little quests
-AC3, no QTE - animals felt like enemies.
-AC3, Frontier Demo at E3 showed a very unique cliff formation which looked natural. The end game was a flat backed completely square rock with a clear planned route
-AC3, First gameplay trailer showed Connor do a running Assassination before killing Pitcairn, when he done this, he jumped in the air, stabbed the soldier, done a forward roll and stabbed another soldier then dived up to Pitcairn's horse. That looked so seamless. the final game just has the same running hidden blade Assassination. I loved that jump.
-AC4, Edward used to sit down and talk to NPCs, such things like 'I'll be back for your coin later, lads!' and flirting with women. I loved that. Losing that touch was not fun.

marvelfannumber
10-02-2014, 03:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUlSWpjmHf4

Man Acre surely looks alot better without the filters, makes me kinda wish they didn't add them.

Wolfmeister1010
10-02-2014, 03:52 PM
-AC3, First gameplay trailer showed Connor do a running Assassination before killing Pitcairn, when he done this, he jumped in the air, stabbed the soldier, done a forward roll and stabbed another soldier then dived up to Pitcairn's horse. That looked so seamless. the final game just has the same running hidden blade Assassination. I loved that jump.

YYYYESSSSS!!! THANK YOUUU!!!!!

That first jumping rolling kill was AWESOME

SpiritOfNevaeh
10-02-2014, 04:05 PM
I'm not sure it's any fault of Ubisoft's, but they do indeed need to stop telling us features until they know for sure it's shipping with the game.

-ACRev, Desmond looked so much more interesting in the trailers. Having him locked inside the portal room, thumping on the wall with messages written all over was great.. That would've been better than the first person, but time constraints are understandable.
-AC3, originally it would contain lakes that would freeze over in the Winter allowing new areas to be explored.
-AC3, originally you could explore live camps in the Frontier, and they would all have little quests
-AC3, Frontier Demo at E3 showed a very unique cliff formation which looked natural. The end game was a flat backed completely square rock with a clear planned route
-AC4, Edward used to sit down and talk to NPCs, such things like 'I'll be back for your coin later, lads!' and flirting with women. I loved that. Losing that touch was not fun.

Man, you have no idea how sad I was when it didn't show up in the game.

Especially that rolling assassination, Sighhhh...

pacmanate
10-02-2014, 05:05 PM

Was just gonna post all those AC3 ones.

If one or two things don't make it into a game then it's okay, but when there are like, 6, it irks me.

Dont forget AC3 was supposed to have 4 seasons too.

GunnerGalactico
10-02-2014, 08:47 PM

Well, this post basically sums up everything that was supposed to be in the game. For the most part I did enjoy the main story, but it could've been executed a little better. After beating the game, I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed that all of the things mentioned above were not present in the actual game itself. Had all of those things been in the game, AC3 would've been a masterpiece.

Megas_Doux
10-02-2014, 09:03 PM
Was just gonna post all those AC3 ones.

If one or two things don't make it into a game then it's okay, but when there are like, 6, it irks me.

Dont forget AC3 was supposed to have 4 seasons too.

All AC´s have, more or less, broken several promises, as shown in the 2006 video. But AC III has been the most blatant so far.....

PedroAntonio2
10-02-2014, 11:06 PM
Alex Hutchinson promised Glyphs back when GameInformer announced ACIII. The E3 Demo contained random events which doesn't exist in the game, I remember Connor having Free Aim with the bow and arrow.

They promised epic battles like the one in E3 Trailer and that doesn't happen.

Fatal-Feit
10-02-2014, 11:13 PM
This thread makes me glad I wasn't an active fan pre-AC:3 release.

MakimotoJin
10-02-2014, 11:20 PM
This thread makes me glad I wasn't an active fan pre-AC:3 release.

I actually bought AC2,ACB and AC3 without knowing much about gameplay trailers or this forum,so I never got sad about undelivered promises,since I knew none.

Assassin_M
10-02-2014, 11:23 PM
Some of the things mentioned here were never announced, like 4 seasons and Glyphs.

AC I:
Horses in cities
Shoving Pedestrians
Breakable objects

AC II:
200 mission types
Ending in 1503
Rome being explorable
Weapons and Armor actually mattering

ACB:
Calling on more than 2 Assassins.
Ezio's last game

ACR:
Masyaf being free roam
Actual Revelations
Random events

AC III:
Frozen lakes
Dynamic battles
Random events
livelier NPCs
Canoes

AC IV:
Edward being a pirate trained by Assassins
Contextual animations when blending
Crouching after leaving stalking zones

Xstantin
10-02-2014, 11:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsLO8GgA-P4

^ Four seasons.

Assassin_M
10-02-2014, 11:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsLO8GgA-P4

^ Four seasons.
I stand corrected

Fatal-Feit
10-02-2014, 11:32 PM
I actually bought AC2,ACB and AC3 without knowing much about gameplay trailers or this forum,so I never got sad about undelivered promises,since I knew none.

Ditto. :p

I'm glad I wasn't robbed of hype just yet.

Xstantin
10-02-2014, 11:35 PM
Eh, technically we got autumnish something in the DLC :).

LieutenantRex
If I had a dollar for every letdown and removed feature in an AC game I've ever played, I'd have sixty bucks, enough to buy me three AC: Brotherhoods, the best game in the world.

MakimotoJin
ACR:
Masyaf being free roam
Actual Revelations

I haven't played Revelations(the only one I haven't played),but there is no free roam in Masyaf?Wow.

Ditto. :p

I'm glad I wasn't robbed of hype just yet.

Yup.Now Watch Dogs and CoD:Ghosts haunt me for buying them.Damn you,hype!

EDIT:My apologies for double post,the notebook I'm using is a little bit bad.

Ureh
10-02-2014, 11:44 PM
ACR:
Masyaf being free roam
Actual Revelations

I think I remember hearing somewhere that there was supposed to a lot more random scripted events than the ones we see in the game. We only got to help merchants carry their crates and beat up challengers. But apparently there was supposed to be 1, maybe 2, more events. Like that fella that asks you to visit his father's shop because he's in trouble. And when you're freeroaming you'll sometimes come across a herald (who glows yellow in eagle vision) speaking to another civilian but you can't interact with them.

pacmanate
10-02-2014, 11:57 PM
Some of the things mentioned here were never announced, like 4 seasons and Glyphs.

1:40 "Dynamic weather systems which Challenge you with extreme conditions in ALL 4 SEASONS"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR0qAOF35V8

GoldenBoy9999
10-03-2014, 12:12 AM
I didn't have internet before AC3 so I enjoyed all of the previous ones. AC3 had a lot of broken promises though. I still liked it but "I expected more".

AC4 delivered the majority of promises and I was never really hyped for it so I ended up enjoying it.

Assassin_M
10-03-2014, 12:33 AM
1:40 "Dynamic weather systems which Challenge you with extreme conditions in ALL 4 SEASONS"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR0qAOF35V8
i'm soooooooooorry

pacmanate
10-03-2014, 12:54 AM
yh u b3st B

Megas_Doux
10-03-2014, 01:44 AM
AC III lacking bakground music was a big one, at least to me.....

The_Kiwi_
10-03-2014, 01:55 AM
I don't know if it's been said, but the biggest thing I remember not being in the final game is the whole "parts of the frontier will be blocked off during different seasons; to make it to those areas you have to wait for lakes to freeze over of for the frost to clear from tree branches".
I remember thinking "oooh, that'll be fun having to time my explorations in the frontier in order to collect everything".

But yeah, that didn't happen.

MakimotoJin
10-03-2014, 02:32 AM
I don't know if it's been said, but the biggest thing I remember not being in the final game is the whole "parts of the frontier will be blocked off during different seasons; to make it to those areas you have to wait for lakes to freeze over of for the frost to clear from tree branches".
I remember thinking "oooh, that'll be fun having to time my explorations in the frontier in order to collect everything".

But yeah, that didn't happen.

It doesn't even change seasons after you beat the game,you need to use a cheat to change it.

The_Kiwi_
10-03-2014, 02:37 AM
It doesn't even change seasons after you beat the game,you need to use a cheat to change it.

Yeah that was quite annoying.
Seasons should be changing like the weather.

I-Like-Pie45
10-03-2014, 02:44 AM
I didn't even notice or miss the lack of ambient music

Cause that's how poopoo kyd is

The_Kiwi_
10-03-2014, 02:52 AM
I didn't even notice or miss the lack of ambient music

Cause that's how poopoo kyd is

It needs to be done right.
AC2 did it right, the themes fitted the situation

In ACB though, it was so annoying hearing that damn "Master Assassin" theme every 10 seconds and whenever I am doing a mission.
Sure, the title of the song fits the situation, but the actual song doesn't, it stinks.
The ambient music was so obnoxious.

And I too never noticed the lack of it in AC3

MakimotoJin
10-03-2014, 03:02 AM
I actually liked the lack of musics in the Frontier and the Homestead.I really loved the sound of the nature in those locations.

The_Kiwi_
10-03-2014, 03:05 AM
I actually liked the lack of musics in the Frontier and the Homestead.I really loved the sound of the nature in those locations.

I never noticed that either, perhaps I'm deaf...

MakimotoJin
10-03-2014, 03:22 AM
I never noticed that either, perhaps I'm deaf...

It's mostly birds and some sort of flute sounds,but it's nice.Maybe you set the volume low?

BoBwUzHeRe1138
10-03-2014, 04:41 AM
-Desmond becoming a real Assassin
-Desmond having an actual conclusion.

+All the other things mentioned.

RinoTheBouncer
10-03-2014, 12:27 PM
I understand that many works of art suffer difficulties during development and eventually end up dropping a segment or two from the work they’re presenting, but I still believe that announcements shouldn’t be made unless everything is certain to be present in the final product. I’d rather have a game or movie delayed than released in a rushed version and I still believe that ACIII wouldn’t been much more perfect had it been released in say 2013, instead of 2012 and took it’s time to be perfected as the signs of rushing were obvious, especially towards the ending.

I still love Assassin’s Creed so much and this isn’t something that I have against AC only, but even many singers that I love or movies tend to rush themselves to meet a deadline as if meeting a deadline is more important than presenting something that truly entertains and serves it’s purpose as a game, movie, book or any other work of art/product.

This even confirms my theory that AC games are getting the time they truly need despite the fact that development starts like 1 or 2 games prior.

The_Kiwi_
10-03-2014, 03:04 PM
even many singers that I love or movies tend to rush themselves to meet a deadline as if meeting a deadline is more important than presenting something that truly entertains and serves it’s purpose as a game, movie, book or any other work of art/product.

George RR Martin
He never gives books deadlines
And that has worked out well so far
Games should do the same
Quality>meeting a deadline

MakimotoJin
10-03-2014, 07:38 PM
One huge example of rushing is the Amazing Spider-Man 2 video game.I hope AC doesn't go to that path.

Dag_B
10-03-2014, 11:45 PM
but I still believe that announcements shouldn’t be made unless everything is certain to be present in the final product.
I am sure they always though that the features would be in the games, when they announced them... It just turned out later that they had to cut the stuff, they definitively wanted in...

The_Kiwi_
10-03-2014, 11:50 PM
Crossbow AC1?
That was in the trailer, but not in the game

TheArcaneEagle
10-04-2014, 09:58 AM
Assassin Tombs in AC3? Didn't Hutchinson say there would be some form of assassin tombs in AC3 during one of the panels (I think it was ComicCon) but there actually never was?

And when I mean tombs, I mean proper tombs like the Romulus lair from ACB or the one underneath the Santa Maria Del Fiore in AC2.

The_Kiwi_
10-04-2014, 10:20 AM
Assassin Tombs in AC3? Didn't Hutchinson say there would be some form of assassin tombs in AC3 during one of the panels (I think it was ComicCon) but there actually never was?

And when I mean tombs, I mean proper tombs like the Romulus lair from ACB or the one underneath the Santa Maria Del Fiore in AC2.

Yes I remember that, how they were saying that in each game there were platforming missions where if you completed them all, you got a set of armour, and that it would return in AC3.
I didn't miss them at all, I hated them, thought they were tedious
I think they become the Captain Kidd missions though, where you unlock that ring that blocks bullets

Fatal-Feit
10-04-2014, 10:34 AM
Yes I remember that, how they were saying that in each game there were platforming missions where if you completed them all, you got a set of armour, and that it would return in AC3.
I didn't miss them at all, I hated them, thought they were tedious
I think they become the Captain Kidd missions though, where you unlock that ring that blocks bullets

I hated the platforming part (which was most of it), but the concepts were pretty cool. Something I'd love to see is a mix of stealth and puzzles like in AC:3's tunnels, but much more prominent, into areas like the catacombs while giving players the same level of freedom they have in AC:IV's assassination missions.

...Well, come to think of it, that's one of Unity's promises with their catacombs, wasn't it? :p

TheArcaneEagle
10-04-2014, 02:21 PM
I hated the platforming part (which was most of it), but the concepts were pretty cool. Something I'd love to see is a mix of stealth and puzzles like in AC:3's tunnels, but much more prominent, into areas like the catacombs while giving players the same level of freedom they have in AC:IV's assassination missions.

...Well, come to think of it, that's one of Unity's promises with their catacombs, wasn't it? :p

I think it is. We will have to wait and see if they deliver on that one.

Farlander1991
10-04-2014, 10:58 PM
but I still believe that announcements shouldn’t be made unless everything is certain to be present in the final product.

Then no announcements should be made at all until the release of the game.

It's the nature of game development. Unless the feature gets actually released, there's always a chance (however big or small it may be) that it might get changed or cut.

There was. He never said there will be tombs, but that there will be levels like them. Kidd's treasure missions are the analog of tombs (linear levels focusing mostly on platforming and cinematic composition).