PDA

View Full Version : LA5 FN manual

XyZspineZyX
08-01-2003, 09:20 PM
nt = No Text

I'll try again.

Over the last few months I have been working (very slowly - been v busy) on a translation of the LA5FN manual.

I'm not an engineer by training, and was wondering if someone can help me out with some SI units relating to manifold pressure. There is a sentence that says something like -

...in which case pressure should be 1 180 +/- 10 mm (then some Russian term I don't know, but transliterated it is rt. st.). Can anyone tell me how to express manifold pressure measurements in English and in metric as well please?

But don't hold your breath, its very dull work but will try and get it finished off in a week or two. Will post once I have permission.

Message Edited on 08/01/0308:30PM by bazzaah2

XyZspineZyX
08-01-2003, 09:20 PM
nt = No Text

I'll try again.

Over the last few months I have been working (very slowly - been v busy) on a translation of the LA5FN manual.

I'm not an engineer by training, and was wondering if someone can help me out with some SI units relating to manifold pressure. There is a sentence that says something like -

...in which case pressure should be 1 180 +/- 10 mm (then some Russian term I don't know, but transliterated it is rt. st.). Can anyone tell me how to express manifold pressure measurements in English and in metric as well please?

But don't hold your breath, its very dull work but will try and get it finished off in a week or two. Will post once I have permission.

Message Edited on 08/01/0308:30PM by bazzaah2

XyZspineZyX
08-01-2003, 10:30 PM
I cannot be of any help but I will salute your efforts.

<center> http://www.4yourfuture.net/handshake.gif

"Altitude, speed, maneuver, fire!"-The "formula of Terror" of Aleksandr Pokryshkin, Three times awarded the rank of Hero of the Soviet Union

XyZspineZyX
08-01-2003, 10:53 PM
bazzaah2 wrote:
- ...in which case pressure should be 1 180 +/- 10 mm
- (then some Russian term I don't know, but
- transliterated it is rt. st.). Can anyone tell me
- how to express manifold pressure measurements in
- English and in metric as well please?

It is most likely mm of Mercury (mmHg). 1180 mmHg is 22.8 psi.

XyZspineZyX
08-02-2003, 12:08 AM
Also of interest, Americans measure manifold pressure in 'inches of mercury', while the Germans measure in Atmospheres. I don't have conversion charts in front of me, but if I remember correctly 52 inches mercury equates roughly with 1.4ATA, which in turn would roughly equate to 1150mm mercury as measured by the Soviets. Please forgive me if I have the numbers off, I don't have time to look up the conversions and punch them out http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

P.S. It is very good to see you Oryx, I had feared the community had lost your expert and informed thoughts on aviation. It is good to see you again.

Message Edited on 08/01/0305:11PM by ZG77_Lignite

XyZspineZyX
08-02-2003, 12:52 AM
Thanks Lignite. However, I am not really "back" - I have been very busy the last few months and there has been virtually no time for anything else. I am trying to finish up my PhD so I can get back to designing real "stuff" again. I have realized academics are not for me and I am aching to get back to the real world/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif At the moment we are doing a lot of wind tunnel testing and I sometimes get the chance to surf the web while waiting for those long drag runs to finish. That is why I have had the chance to read the forums and catch up on the news again. I still don't have FB and I see the first patch is already almost on its way!

In regard to the pressures:
52 inHg = 1321 mmHg = 25.54 psi = 1.74 atm

Which is also 176 kpa = 1320.8 torr...

The scary thing is that I have used all these units at one time or another when working with pressure systems - it is so easy to get it wrong somewhere in one of your data reduction codes (which unfortunately has happened to me on more than one occasion)...

Cheers
Oryx

XyZspineZyX
08-02-2003, 03:16 AM
?².². = ¨¨¥²? ?²³²* ²á

mm rt.st = millimetres mercury (column)

(for Russian text right click > encoding > Cyrillic (Windows))

XyZspineZyX
08-02-2003, 03:49 AM
760 mm Hg = 1 atmosphere = 101.325 kpa = 30 inch of Hg (at 0 degrees) = 101,325 N/m2 = 14.7 PSI = 760 torr = 1.01 bar

Hope that helps, good luck.

Regards,
luftwaffe_109

XyZspineZyX
08-02-2003, 09:51 AM
Thanks all - that's sorted now,

cheers.

XyZspineZyX
08-02-2003, 11:38 AM
OT: Thanks Ham for that little addition in Brackets.

Didn't realise that I could right click and change the coding on the fly (without adding support from the windows disk) Using cyrillic windows. Nice to see the russian caracters as they should be, even though .I can't read it. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif