PDA

View Full Version : How will the Templars be?

VitoAuditore
09-28-2014, 07:02 PM
anyone wondering how the templars will behave in this game? in the first few games the templars were portraited(did I spell that right) as evil bad guys, since ac3 not so much. of course this depends on the personality of the person(templar), but if I think back to the older games some of the templar groups were nothing alike. the italian templars were a corrupt bunch, while the carribean templars were much more rational. some of the templars in unity will probably even be allies or something to arno(this is just my speculation), seeing as how he grew up. and the different templar factions will bring some variation.. ubi just seems to start favoring the templar side of the story, how do you guys think the templars in unity will be?

edit: sry for my horrible english

Loki Will Rule
09-28-2014, 07:09 PM
I imagine there to be a corrupt few, or perhaps with a slightly different mindset to the other Templars. For example, Elise's father. From what I've read they sound a bit more honourable this time around. It sounds like there will be some sort of power struggle within the Templar Order.

VestigialLlama4
09-28-2014, 07:19 PM
Well in the first Assassin's Creed game, the Templars weren't all bad and the Assassins weren't all that good either. It was already a grey story but the Ezio stories made it simpler, with the Borgias being totally evil.

I think as the games get further away from the distant past, and get closer to the present, especially in contested historical events like the American and French Revolutions, it will be harder for them to do the simple Assassins-Good and Templars-Evil conflict since the emotional impact these events hold still matters a great deal to people, so in the American Revolution, none of the Founding Fathers are openly shown as Templars or Assassins, with only minor historical figures on the side being featured (which is why the game as a whole is not that interesting since it doesn't have political guts). In either case, the fact is that showing a Native American Mohawk Assassin and then somehow giving him a victory just won't gel with the reality of that.

In the case of the French Revolution, its much richer since historians aren't sure what's right or wrong. Like Robespierre guillotined people by the thousands but he also abolished slavery during the Terror and opened the Louvre to the Public as well. He was a highly popular figure among the poor and working class and famously called the Incorruptible. He's got aspects that are both Templar and Assassin. It would be interesting and morally challenging if the game made him an Assassin who went the distance. It's also true of someone like Saint-Just. Ideally, they should make the Committee of Public Safety a joint Assassin-Templar operation and make Arno and Elise factions opposing their own secret societies.

RinoTheBouncer
09-28-2014, 08:59 PM
I’m wondering the same thing and also about Rogue’s Templars. Are they gonna be portrayed as good guys and the Assassins and bad guys in Rogue? or it’ll be the same, except that we’ll be playing as a Templar?

Alphacos007
09-28-2014, 09:12 PM
In the lastest Rogue video, the director was talking about Shay, and referred him as a hero, then imediatelly corrected himself, and said anti-hero, so I suppose they'll still be the "bad guys", just seen through a different angle.

Assassin_M
09-28-2014, 09:23 PM
in AC2 and ACB*, the templars were portraited(did I spell that right) as evil bad guys
fixed that for ya

Fatal-Feit
09-28-2014, 09:28 PM
I imagine there to be a corrupt few, or perhaps with a slightly different mindset to the other Templars. For example, Elise's father. From what I've read they sound a bit more honourable this time around. It sounds like there will be some sort of power struggle within the Templar Order.

I believe this is exactly how it will throw down.

LoyalACFan
09-28-2014, 09:34 PM
As I understand it the Templars are going through a bit of a revolution of their own this time, in that there's an extremist splinter faction fighting the more moderate old guard. I wonder if the extreme ones will win, and ultimately evolve into the undeniably evil modern Templars (Abstergo)?

Assassin_M
09-28-2014, 09:42 PM
As I understand it the Templars are going through a bit of a revolution of their own this time, in that there's an extremist splinter faction fighting the more moderate old guard. I wonder if the extreme ones will win, and ultimately evolve into the undeniably evil modern Templars (Abstergo)?
Actually, it's the moderates that are taking over. The Old guard are the ones who use the old ways of force and brutality to enforce control, the new regime is attempting to change these ways by giving people what they want and thus enslaving themselves.

LoyalACFan
09-28-2014, 09:49 PM
Actually, it's the moderates that are taking over. The Old guard are the ones who use the old ways of force and brutality to enforce control, the new regime is attempting to change these ways by giving people what they want and thus enslaving themselves.

I guess it depends on what you're calling moderate. The old guard used force and fear to yoke people to their will, true, but it was all pretty localized under regional leaders (e.g. Haytham) while the new ones act on a far larger scale and take their beliefs WAY further. I don't think launching a mind control device into orbit to enslave all humans is something Haytham or Al Mualim would have done even if they had the technology.

Xstantin
09-28-2014, 09:53 PM
Didn't one of the interviews state that Elise (and her father) were the ones from the old guard?

Assassin_M
09-28-2014, 09:54 PM
I guess it depends on what you're calling moderate. The old guard used force and fear to yoke people to their will, true, but it was all pretty localized under regional leaders (e.g. Haytham) while the new ones act on a far larger scale and take their beliefs WAY further. I don't think launching a mind control device into orbit to enslave all humans is something Haytham or Al Mualim would have done even if they had the technology.
Well, force, fear and brutality VS giving people what they want to enslave themselves...

I know which is the more moderate.

LoyalACFan
09-28-2014, 10:00 PM
Well, force, fear and brutality VS giving people what they want to enslave themselves...

I know which is the more moderate.

I would argue that the former is more moderate, because it's less all-pervasive and acts on a far smaller scale...

Assassin_M
09-28-2014, 10:10 PM
I would argue that the former is more moderate, because it's less all-pervasive and acts on a far smaller scale...
I don't really understand how smaller scale makes it more moderate, there're Templars everywhere. That's a pretty big scale.

LoyalACFan
09-28-2014, 10:13 PM
I don't really understand how smaller scale makes it more moderate, there're Templars everywhere. That's a pretty big scale.

I don't mean smaller scale as in geographic reach, I mean how far they're willing to take their philosophy. Should have made that clearer. The old guard of the Templars puppeteered the world's wars and governments to their own ends, yes, but the new Templars (Abstergo) are willing to turn the entire human race into mind-controlled zombies. That's pretty damned extreme as I see it.

Assassin_M
09-28-2014, 10:20 PM
I don't mean smaller scale as in geographic reach, I mean how far they're willing to take their philosophy. Should have made that clearer. The old guard of the Templars puppeteered the world's wars and governments to their own ends, yes, but the new Templars (Abstergo) are willing to turn the entire human race into mind-controlled zombies. That's pretty damned extreme as I see it.
Didnt Robert and his guys want the same thing as Abstergo, though? I think the Templars' goal never changed, it's just how they went about it and the old guard did have times when they wanted to make people into mindless zombies while the new guard had times when they merely influenced governments and nations, instead of going all templar and wanting to launch the satellite.

LoyalACFan
09-28-2014, 10:28 PM
Didnt Robert and his guys want the same thing as Abstergo, though? I think the Templars' goal never changed, it's just how they went about it and the old guard did have times when they wanted to make people into mindless zombies while the new guard had times when they merely influenced governments and nations, instead of going all templar and wanting to launch the satellite.

Robert's guys lived 600 years before ACU though. They're kind of irrelevant, as the Order itself had completely changed since their time. The "old guard" referred to in ACU is probably the Haytham/Ahmet/Torres bunch who were far more moderate than Robert and his crew, and weren't actively seeking to enslave the world, just regulate it.

Hans684
09-29-2014, 05:14 AM
According to most people, failytale bad guys.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
09-29-2014, 05:47 AM
I don't think the Templars' plan ever truly changed. Al Mualim would have definitely launched the apple into orbit as he enslaved all of Masyaf. He even spoke of moving on to other areas if I recall correctly. that or another Templar did.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure they would have. Al Mualim showed NO qualms about turning them into mindless puppets, at least for a time.

The reason the Borgias were so obviously evil is because they weren't even following the Templar agenda. They were after using the Apple for their own ends rather than the Templar view of bettering the world. In canon, the Templars even refer to that time as a dark period of their history. The Borgias didn't want a New World order.

I feel that Haytham would have had a lot more trouble using an Apple of Eden to essentially enslave the world. It's been a long time since I played the story of AC3 so maybe I'm wrong but I feel as though he'd have used it far more sparingly and most likely would not have launched it into orbit, given the opportunity.

But it's been awhile. I AM curious as to whether or not the Templars will be more like the Borgias (evil) or like AC1/AC3ish (somewhat gray).

PedroAntonio2
09-29-2014, 04:25 PM
Rogue will probably have a ambiguity as ACI and ACIII. But AC Unity....I don't know.