PDA

View Full Version : We're sinking !!!

AKA44
09-14-2004, 01:24 PM
Will we be able to see our boat sinking ?
I mean in the aspect of time(no end-mission like SH2),and in the aspect of 3D damages model(collapsing,pressure).

AKA44
09-14-2004, 01:24 PM
Will we be able to see our boat sinking ?
I mean in the aspect of time(no end-mission like SH2),and in the aspect of 3D damages model(collapsing,pressure).

Prof.Wizard
09-14-2004, 01:46 PM
This is a must! I hope it's included...

-----------------------------

Me-163's HWK 109-509 Rocket Engine
http://www.mihailidis.com/images/HWK109509.jpg

lonewulf44
09-15-2004, 06:11 AM
Very nice idea! I hated the end screen in SH2, and just watching your hull implode or simply drift down into darkness would add a lot of cool effect to the whole 'death' thing.

Long Live Prussia!

FDNYFAN
09-15-2004, 08:38 AM
I hope i can avoid that kind of screens and see the surface ships sink.

bertgang
09-29-2004, 09:29 AM
I'm really interested in this sad topic.

Soon or later we will have to face with our death at sea;
sunk when surfaced, smashed by depth charges, poisoned by air,,,

I hope to see a dramatic sequence, not just a "game over" followed by a navy or press report.

lonewulf44
09-29-2004, 10:31 AM
I dont mind the press report thing....after a really cool and cinematic view of our ship going down...I would like to see headlines from different newspaper.....German ones claim a hero has bee lost, while the British hail that an underwater pirate has finally got what he deserves!

Long Live Prussia!

CB..
09-29-2004, 01:20 PM
tell you what would be nice; if you get a slight sense of the boat flooding in the internal view (without getting x-rated about it and trivialising that particular real life nightmare)
then the view switches to the external camera and follows the boat down a little way..
then slowly it follows debris and oil floating to the surface untill the camera is above the surface focusing on the oil and debris...then switch the camera to the vessel or aircraft that made the kill....then the press report (i like press reports very atmospheric)

as you say anything is better than BOOM game over...do you wish to play again...LOL waste of space that ending completely spoils the thing.

tell you what tho i'd love to see something a little more made of the kill ratio ..it would be amazingly involving to have some sort of intelligence reports at base on the succeses of individual AI DD captains... this isnt strictly realistic i know (at all in fact) but if a particular DD sinks my boat i'd find it fascinating if that DD was given a kil mark on it's hull or some other identifying mark....and allso a slight increase in it's AI rating...imagine how it would look thru the scope if the dd attacking you had a series of kill marks on it's hull flag or other apendage...you never get the sense of the opposition have-ing it's own tally to rack up so this leaves out of the games a real sense of the AI having it's own agenda...and personality..etc where's the elite DD captains and who are they? are they operating in my sector? am i likely to encounter expert opposition or average opposition ?
some thing to get your imagination into regarding the "real life" of the AI Captains...got to be done i reckon would add enourmously to the atmosphere..and the dynamics of a campaign as well...give them a kill flag on the mast head (not realistic i know) would be fantastic to count them thru the scope binocs as you approach a convoy..the more flags the better the AI captain...as long as each flag represented an actual kill in the game (wether an AI sub or you the player were the victim) this would build the difficulty dynamicaly in each campaign..as each kill would boost the AI just a little..i dunno ...

they did this sort of thing with Red baron (tho not as complex as the ai didnt improve with each kill) but you would find your self dogfighting with a higher than usual capacity AI pilot only to find on the dbriefing screen that an ACE had been transfered to your sector and that you had encountered him...and each ace had his own kill board score..very interesting..

E.Thang
09-29-2004, 02:31 PM
Combining the features of SH1 and SH2 might be cool. In the first you saw your sub sink and implode, and the second generated a report. They coud do both.

Silkensus
09-29-2004, 04:48 PM
Perhaps we also can seal ourselfs off from the rest of the sub when its flooding!
Offcourse when its not too deep we can try too escape in the torpedo tubes,but then again I believe the captian is the last who abondeds his ship?????!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

So we will also have too see ourself dying alone in the sub!!
Ow I love too be the captian http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Greets Silk

bertgang
09-30-2004, 09:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CB..:
...it would be amazingly involving to have some sort of intelligence reports at base on the succeses of individual AI DD captains...
interesting.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know?...I was just thinking the same thing.

Enemy aces in Red Baron were fine too, but if their AI grows in the game is better.

CB..
09-30-2004, 09:44 AM
Yes all good stuff! Red baron still has one of the most in depth campaign engines around even now...endless detail evry where you look virtually a dynamic history unfolding before your eyes everytime..

suffered from poor AI tho..

i really think that AI is the next big thing for computer games...we've just about reached the final straight as far as graphics go...(once graphics reach photo realism there's nowhere else to go..short of "Star Trek" style holo decks that is)

here's my prediction...one day soon we will be buying "AI cards" in the same way as we buy graphics cards now..

you'll be able to ring up your commanding officer and have a conversation with him about tactics....sit in the mess and hear an AI sub commander discuss his last patrol in great detail and each detail will have actually occurred on his last patrol...all this info will be stored in the "AI card"

he will get dynamically better with each patrol and kill, as will all enemy captains and crew..
radio chatter will be in real time and dynamic..
your crew will develop their personalitys and skills and interests....yyou will be able to discuss events with your officers around the "das boot" style mess table..dynamically...they will have views of their own about how things are progressing
they will like you/dislike you...prefer classical music over Jazz etc etc..

the AI will write newspapers dynamically reported all available news and information including photos etc and you will recieve them on returning to port....intelligence reports will be written dynamically (Red baron allready does this !) and will be based entirely on actual in game events..(no generic stuff)
and so on..once you start there's really no limit to this area a real full depth dive into a dynamic history....

and i guess most importantly the individual AI character will be dynamic in it's response to you as an individual player..learning your techniques and tactics etc..and have his own agenda and purpose..no generic AI opposition..each DD captain would have his own personality and prefered tactics etc..and kill board (even if you never see it)

can't wait....i'd swop the next generation of graphically enhancements for this right now if the industry switched tacks...but both will be nice when they exhaust the possibilities of improved graphics..

AKA44
09-30-2004, 03:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lonewulf44:
after a really cool and cinematic view of our ship going down... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Personnaly, i was more thinking to 3D damages models like in flight simulation(each time differents).
But a great cinematic would be cool too(always the same).

negus1
10-01-2004, 09:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>but then again I believe the captian is the last who abondeds his ship?????!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

when crew left the submerged u-boat the captain always left first (because he had to face the danger on the surface).

rememeber this famous scene of hardegen's U 123 in operation paukenschlag: after being bombarded with dc's he ordered to leave the boat. when hardegen opened the hatch cold water hit his neck and he instinctively closed the hatch and decided to stay in the boat. that saved the boat and that's exactly the reason why the captain had to leave first...

hauitsme
10-01-2004, 09:00 PM
Where are you guys going?

Remember, no lifeboatshttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/hauitsme/titanic.gif !

macker33
10-10-2004, 07:37 PM
The game over in sh2 was a bit sudden,

Imagine being in a boat and being below the water level,only a few cm of steel between you and the ocean.Nice and dry while outside is cold and wet.
Little do you know that about twenty seconds ago a uboat fired a torpedo and its heading directly for your part of the ships.

Is this the end?will our hero get to the exit in time?what of the uboat commander?tune in next week!!