PDA

View Full Version : An idea how to fix balancing issues

blackdragonstor
09-22-2014, 01:21 PM
Hi
I noticed that whenever an expansion comes out devs have to balance new cards with old cards.
Since we have more and more cards,that gets harder and harder to do.

There is a easy and simple solution.
Divide the duels between expansions.

This means that there should be an option where you would choose an expansion.(for example Griffin Bane)
When you choose that you would be able to create decks like usually,but only using griffin bane cards.

With this change devs wouldnt have to constantly change cards stats and similar which would make happy them and players.
With this devs would have much more time for actual game improvements like draft mode,2 players mode,alternate art...

I hope this will be passed down to devs,cuz I think it's a good idea and you guys will probably agree with me :)

Natchai_Ubisoft
09-22-2014, 01:30 PM
That's not possible because expansions are what they are...expansions on existing sets. You can't build an exclusively Griffin Bane Deck, at least to my knowledge :)

blackdragonstor
09-22-2014, 01:49 PM
That's not possible because expansions are what they are...expansions on existing sets. You can't build an exclusively Griffin Bane Deck, at least to my knowledge :)

It's a big change,but it should be better than having to balance new cards with old all the time.
I dont see why this cant be done.
Also this would probably mean that each expansion would need more than 100 cards cuz everyone would have very similar decks.(that would be easy cuz the team woudnt need to focus on balancing with old cards)

Constantly going to next expansions wont change the game much,(new cards)
It's better to fix,improve what you already have.

We need new modes,but with more and more expansions with cards coming out chances of getting changes that I mentioned before are getting smaller and smaller cuz it's getting harder and harder to add them(stuff such like new mode 2 vs 2 or new faction....)

Kimundi
09-22-2014, 02:25 PM
Thanks for your ideas Blackdragonstor,

However, this would be difficult and not really interesting to put in place, and I don't really think that's what is needed for the game right now, let me explain :)

We have 7 series + 2 Base Set. That would mean 9 different formats to be available to play in, doesn't it look like a bit too much? Some players are already confused by Open, Standard and Open, so imagine their confusion with so many rules! And the playerbase will be extremely divided, imagine the waiting time to get a match in let's say, "Void Rising" duels...

The ideas of format such as Open and Standard is to renew the starting set and then add new cards. Players like novelties, they like to improve their deck with new cards and create new ones. What happens if you just rebalance everything? Everyone will lose their marks.

Also, as Natchai was saying, expansions are designed to work with existing cards. You can't really make a competitive deck by using only the cards from an expansion. You say it would require bigger expansions, but it also means more work, which contredicts the fact that we would have more time to work on other stuff. And each expansion would need to be balanced within itself, which requires even more work!

I'm sorry but your idea is not feasible and expect as a weekly format, we won't really see any of those "expansions" format in the game :)

Xyx0rz
09-22-2014, 02:35 PM
Single-set formats make for interesting Weekly formats, perhaps.

blackdragonstor
09-22-2014, 02:46 PM
Thanks for your ideas Blackdragonstor,

However, this would be difficult and not really interesting to put in place, and I don't really think that's what is needed for the game right now, let me explain :)

We have 7 series + 2 Base Set. That would mean 9 different formats to be available to play in, doesn't it look like a bit too much? Some players are already confused by Open, Standard and Open, so imagine their confusion with so many rules! And the playerbase will be extremely divided, imagine the waiting time to get a match in let's say, "Void Rising" duels...

The ideas of format such as Open and Standard is to renew the starting set and then add new cards. Players like novelties, they like to improve their deck with new cards and create new ones. What happens if you just rebalance everything? Everyone will lose their marks.

Also, as Natchai was saying, expansions are designed to work with existing cards. You can't really make a competitive deck by using only the cards from an expansion. You say it would require bigger expansions, but it also means more work, which contredicts the fact that we would have more time to work on other stuff. And each expansion would need to be balanced within itself, which requires even more work!

I'm sorry but your idea is not feasible and expect as a weekly format, we won't really see any of those "expansions" format in the game :)
Tnx for a polite answer :)

If my idea doesnt work,you guys should think of a better one.
Cuz the way the game is going it will become harder and harder to make any "big" changes like adding draft mode,2 vs 2 mode,new faction and stuff like that.
What is your answer on this?

superktro
09-23-2014, 08:01 AM
agree with kimmundi

Kimundi
09-23-2014, 10:21 AM

Cuz the way the game is going it will become harder and harder to make any "big" changes like adding draft mode,2 vs 2 mode,new faction and stuff like that.

Don't worry, we got it covered :) If indeed we are planning to do some new game modes, we already thought about format issues regarding those! Sadly, I can't tell much more atm because no new game modes is planned for the moment.

SilverMajkl
09-23-2014, 12:14 PM

I have the question about this too. 2v2 sounds fun,but i would be more interested in new faction/s. Are you guys even planning adding some? We would all love to see more of them and frankly i think it is little wierd that Sanctuary is present and Dungeon or Sylvan are not.

Regarding formats, is it nightmare? From what i observed, Open is for pre-HoN players only and almost impossible to get into for new player (high WC costs, too expensive seals etc.). Standard on the other hand, seems less balanced, as we all know that Orcs are little too much and Heaven has some rly ****ty cards for 2-3 resources. Now you cant fix that, because making something good and well deserved cards for one faction in standard would damage the balance in Open.

You then face the dilema. Keeping your your old playerbase happy, or making the game better for new players. Now both are important, but i guess there is more money in new players, because old ones have all the cards they need and all the WC they can wish for. So it is more likely that new players will spend money to get stuff fast. And they will spend it on standard, because there they can get T1 decks easy with a few bucks and few weeks of farming.

I think that blackdragonstor proposal is not viable, because we have 2 formats now and it is already more complicated then anyone would like.

Thoughts?

Natchai_Ubisoft
09-23-2014, 01:50 PM
I have the question about this too. 2v2 sounds fun,but i would be more interested in new faction/s. Are you guys even planning adding some? We would all love to see more of them and frankly i think it is little wierd that Sanctuary is present and Dungeon or Sylvan are not.

Regarding formats, is it nightmare? From what i observed, Open is for pre-HoN players only and almost impossible to get into for new player (high WC costs, too expensive seals etc.). Standard on the other hand, seems less balanced, as we all know that Orcs are little too much and Heaven has some rly ****ty cards for 2-3 resources. Now you cant fix that, because making something good and well deserved cards for one faction in standard would damage the balance in Open.

You then face the dilema. Keeping your your old playerbase happy, or making the game better for new players. Now both are important, but i guess there is more money in new players, because old ones have all the cards they need and all the WC they can wish for. So it is more likely that new players will spend money to get stuff fast. And they will spend it on standard, because there they can get T1 decks easy with a few bucks and few weeks of farming.

I think that blackdragonstor proposal is not viable, because we have 2 formats now and it is already more complicated then anyone would like.

Thoughts?

From what I've been around, I think it's pretty safe to say that adding another faction is on no one's mind over at our developer hq right now. Perhaps in the future, but it's definitely not being worked on at the moment.

superktro
09-23-2014, 07:23 PM
i agree natchai, hope to see the other factions in future