PDA

View Full Version : Why in the near future there wont be a new faction, Reasons

superktro
09-22-2014, 08:35 AM
If a faction gets a weak card, the forums start flooding with anger and resentment and i personally feel it is impossible to balance all factions and still bring new mechanics and variety for the game to be fun so i never complain about a faction being not balanced. But i suggest for nerfs and buffs for certain cards trying to reach balance which is an ideal situation but cannot be perfectly achieved by such a complex mechanics of DoC. Because a new faction will make the forum more full of protests and balance related comments, and a new faction would new mechanics and ideas, as people will complain if the ability is lore wise correct and why 2 factions share the same ability (lore is very important to me) and having a lot of expansions ahead there will be similar features and balance issues. The only entry point of a new faction is possible if people stop complaining always, Doc gets a bigger team or ask us for intresting abilities and artwork and selected winners will be awarded gold, seals, wildcard, boxes (fyi, they are all virtual so ubi wont have to spend extra bucks on a new team member because the work will be partly done by the community), addition of base set 3 and increasing size of each expansion to 110 or something

Bazaltovy
09-22-2014, 10:01 AM
Reasons behind not including a new faction were presented long time ago by Simon V., and while lore wasn't mentioned that much, the matter of balance and cards' increasment were pointed out. Besides, just for the faction's start, it would need to have the same amount of cards as any other faction (for Open format specifically). So... For a new faction to be introduced, DoC team would need an entire expansion. That's pretty insane to do.

Anyway, the current state of the game is pretty cool in my opinion. Sure, having Dungeon or Sylvan or whatnot would be amazing, but willpower is definitely not enough to make this happen. And all odds are - so far - against.

ulpsz
09-22-2014, 05:10 PM
because thay are incompetent at ballanceing and uninspired at desighning...like they have shown so far...and lazy also...

instead of creating new factions they cram traits more suiting to factions that are not yet in ..in existing factions...

eg>sandor woth his magic schools would make a perfect dungeon hero...

za rdoc with earth light also...

mill is more suited to dungeon than academy...

if they had a new faction with each expansion or at least woth each 2 exp we would have had all factions by now

zuom000
09-22-2014, 05:22 PM
Right now each faction has 91 cards, they would have to make expansion with only new faction cards, and almost half of them ban in standard mode. And as we all know they don't care about open, so that won't happen.

banduan
09-23-2014, 05:40 AM
when do you stop? How many factions is enough?

malkorion
09-23-2014, 11:14 AM
8 or 9 factions.

Gdinut
09-23-2014, 01:37 PM
8 or 9 factions.

this game started out with just 4 factions and the eventually added academy and sanctuary ... i guess they could eventually add one or two more.
Sylvan and Dungeon are pretty popular .....a fortress faction would be awsome too, with basilisks (with some cool petrification abilities), gorgons, lizard warriors..etc...
when they added academy they came out with a set that was pretty much 50% plus just academy cards, only academy heroes and so son... i could keep going but this game can definetely fit more factions if they feel like it

Natchai_Ubisoft
09-23-2014, 01:52 PM
I just gave this answer in a different thread as well: I don't think a new faction is on anyone's mind of our teams right now just because of all the problems it would bring with it. We'd rather focus on improving the current game and fixing as many problems as possible before forcing new ones upon ourselves. The sheer work and balancing nightmare it would bring are frankly daunting.

malkorion
09-24-2014, 03:57 PM
I just gave this answer in a different thread as well: I don't think a new faction is on anyone's mind of our teams right now just because of all the problems it would bring with it. We'd rather focus on improving the current game and fixing as many problems as possible before forcing new ones upon ourselves. The sheer work and balancing nightmare it would bring are frankly daunting.

That is true.

zenithale
09-24-2014, 05:19 PM
A BS3 could be a perfect time to add a new Faction.

mordredrs
09-24-2014, 06:43 PM
Someone said Dungeon? ;)

Marbran
09-24-2014, 09:09 PM

Yeah, like last time BS2 + HoN, only BS3 and War of the Tears with Sylvan : )

Nillicomes
09-24-2014, 09:25 PM
I don't think you should expect a new faction anytime soon if there will be a new one at all. I guess it is no longer than that.

LQDBrunt
09-24-2014, 10:03 PM
I guess the only reasonable window to introduce a new faction would be when the new base set arrives. Then, Standard could include that Base Set + new expansion and that way no more than 40 new cards will be necessary to introduce a new faction. Of course, new faction would be unplayable in Open for a year or so, but we could live with that.

Of course, that should only be done if the design is unique and doesnt overlap with the existing factions. Adding faction just for the sake of having more factions would be a bad idea.

UottEvar
09-25-2014, 12:52 AM
As there are 6 factions already in game, I don't find introducing another one in new Base Set a good idea, as we probably will never see another one. But if the game will continue to live and remain somewhat popular, a nice new rebooting Base Set with cards only for 3-4 new factions(Sylvan, Dungeon, Fortress and, maybe, Forge) would be good, as new expansions can be centered around new faction, and old ones can still get 1 or 2 cards. That might also provide Open with 9-10 playable factions at some point.
Too bad all of that is just my wishful thinking :D

Star-Seeker-
09-25-2014, 03:00 AM
I just want to say that while adding a new faction is indeed a daunting task, it will only get harder the longer we go and the more cards that are added to the game. If a new faction is to be added to the game, that's something best done as soon as possible rather than waiting.

Now isn't a good time, of course, but I do want to echo what others have said about BS3 being probably the best opportunity to add another faction, so I urge the devs to put some serious consideration into the matter, since it could end up being an opportunity that becomes harder to find again.

superktro
09-25-2014, 02:22 PM
agree zenithale

Xyx0rz
09-25-2014, 02:49 PM
Maybe in a few years the world will realize that this is actually a very good game and players will flock to it in droves. Then a Base Set 5 will be released. That will be a good time to add new factions. Right now, the development work on a new faction would probably take the place of at least two normal expansions. I'd rather have two expansions than one.

banduan
09-26-2014, 08:27 AM
8 or 9 factions.

why stop at 8 or 9? why not 7? why not 12?

...why not 6?

malkorion
09-26-2014, 09:11 AM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/54739869.jpg

Xyx0rz
09-26-2014, 11:36 AM
How many factions are "missing" anyway? Sylvan (pixies, elves, unicorns), Dungeon (evil eyes, manticores, minotaurs), the swampy thing (skinks, gorgons, hydras), the dwarven thing (which I've never even seen up close)... anything else?

malkorion
09-26-2014, 11:57 AM
Dungeon is definitely in one of the HoMM VI expansions. I'm not sure how Academy actually fits into HoMM VI, even though it fits into the lore. (Granted, I'm not a lore buff)

Taken from the wiki:
There are five factions in the game: Haven, Sanctuary, Stronghold, Inferno and Necropolis.

So, technically, if they follow HoMM VI they've already got the basic factions down. Still, don't know how Academy fits into all of this.

If you go back into other HoMM games you have: Fortress (basilisks, wyverns, hydras, etc.), Conflux (elementals with pixies), Rampart (dwarves, unicorns, pegasi, green/gold dragons, centaurs)

EDIT:
Castle = Haven
Tower = Academy

Dagnir_Smauga
09-26-2014, 12:08 PM
why stop at 8 or 9? why not 7? why not 12?

...why not 6?
Because that:
http://might-and-magic.ubi.com/universe/en-GB/universe-world-ashan/factions/index.aspx

In Ashan universe exist 9 Factions. 9 and only 9.

In DoC are (6):

- Academy (Wizards)
Wizard (H2), Tower (H3), Academy (H4&H5&H7)

- Haven (Humans)
Knight (H1&H2), Castle (H3), Haven (H4&H5&H6&H7)

- Inferno (Demons)
Inferno (H3&H5&H6, maybe H7)

- Necropolis (Necromancers)
Necromancer (H2), Necropolis (H3&H4&H5&H6&H7)

- Sanctuary (Nagas)
Sanctuary (H6)

- Stronghold (Orcs)
Barbarian (H1&H2), Stronghold (H3&H4&H5&H6&H7)

In DoC not are (3):

- Dungeon (Dark Elves)
Warlock (H1&H2), Dungeon (H3), Asylum (H4), Dungeon (H5&H6, maybe H7)

- Fortress (Dwarves)
Fortress (H5)

- Sylvan (Elves)
Sorceress (H1&H2), Rampart (H3), Preserve (H4), Sylvan (H5&H7)

In Ashan not exist (3):

Conflux (H3) (Elementals)
Forge (maybe H3) (Terminators)
Fortress (H3) (Reptiles)

Dagnir_Smauga
09-26-2014, 12:51 PM
The only entry point of a new faction is possible if people stop complaining always, Doc gets a bigger team or ask us for intresting abilities and artwork and selected winners will be awarded gold, seals, wildcard, boxes (fyi, they are all virtual so ubi wont have to spend extra bucks on a new team member because the work will be partly done by the community), addition of base set 3 and increasing size of each expansion to 110 or something

I guess the only reasonable window to introduce a new faction would be when the new base set arrives.

Now isn't a good time, of course, but I do want to echo what others have said about BS3 being probably the best opportunity to add another faction, so I urge the devs to put some serious consideration into the matter, since it could end up being an opportunity that becomes harder to find again.

Then a Base Set 5 will be released. That will be a good time to add new factions.

Base Set 2 and no new Faction. I think Base Set 1000500100900 will be good time to add new Faction.

Still, don't know how Academy fits into all of this.

The Academy was to be in HoMM6 but Ubisoft did not have the money to finish the Faction and it removed.

dethslain
09-26-2014, 05:25 PM
In Ashan not exist (3):

Conflux (H3) (Elementals)
Forge (maybe H3) (Terminators)
Fortress (H3) (Reptiles)

That's right. When Ubisoft purchased the rights of Heroes of Might & Magic series in 2003, they recreated the universe based on one of the world (Ashan) which have been part of the original Might & Magic game. These factions are not part of it, they were part of New World Computing's universe. So possible future faction will be one of those: Dungeon, Sylvan or Fortress (dwarves).

zuom000
09-27-2014, 10:26 PM
Base Set 2 and no new Faction. I think Base Set 1000500100900 will be good time to add new Faction.

The Academy was to be in HoMM6 but Ubisoft did not have the money to finish the Faction and it removed.

Anyway, bs3 is best time to add the new faction, because reduced card poll. It would be nice if they add new faction in s09 for standard only and spread rest of open cards beetween s10,s11 and s12.

larkhainan
10-03-2014, 04:01 AM
How exactly does adding a 7th or whatever faction actually benefit people who play the game?

It just sounds like a headache for the developers without any real benefit to actually playing.

Xyx0rz
10-03-2014, 05:23 PM
This is obviously more important for Heroes fans that want to see their favorite faction(s) return than for the workings of the game.