PDA

View Full Version : Escape Maps in FC4 Multiplayer

WniO
09-04-2014, 07:31 PM
Far Cry is, and has always been about freedom. It's what separates it from the other shooters. You simply give players more choices than the other guys, and we like that.

If Ubisoft truly does care about making a better Multiplayer experience for Far Cry 4, then please dont hamper and weaken the Course/Escape/Race part of this community. Far Cry 2 had more Escape games going on then actual Deathmatch/Capture the Diamond after the first year. Instead of embracing this new community someone thought it would be wise to patch out Barrels/Boxes/Objects from moving. Was this to make the game more like some other shooters in the genre? I'm not sold on that idea. Yes, we worked around the patch, but its sort of disturbing to think of the thought process behind that patch, and then a continued pattern of isolating that community with Far Cry 3.

There are plenty of basic UI and server related issues that need to be addressed from Far Cry 3, but the most important factors of keeping this part of the community are as follows...

1. An easy to use lobby system. We want to choose what map to join, and what the mode is, and what the rules for the match are. With Far Cry 3 we had almost no say in what we were playing.

2. Infinite game time. I can't stress how important this is. Yes, it falls under the options for a proper lobby system, but it is THAT important. It allows players who have exited the match for personal reasons to come back and catch up to where their friends are in the escape map. Some escape and course maps can take a whole day to figure out and complete.

3. The editor gameplay needs to be the same as the multiplayer gameplay. This is a no brainer. In Far Cry 3, the single player gameplay was attached to the editor, and the MP gameplay was completely different. Which meant testing platforming sections was a true nightmare.

4. Get rid of the downvoting and upvoting marks to rate maps. Here is how a lobby system filters out bad maps... they dont get played. Over time the good maps will rise to the top of the lobby. You do not need an artifical system for this. A combination of the two is not out of the question. After you play a map, let the player give it a */5 rating. Show the overall rating next to the games name on the lobby system, like this...

Deathmatch Games Being Played
Steps of War 5/16 Players------(4.3/5 rating)
Jungle Blockade 13/16 Players------(4.6/5 rating)
Carnival Carnage 2/8 Players-------(3.1/5 rating)

This gives players a choice of which maps to join and a rating to boot.

5. So you have infinite maps being created by the users, how do you sell them DLC? Make DLC for the editor. New objects, New weather effects, New Vehicles, New terrain textures, etc. I would have literally paid 60$ in Far Cry 2 for a winter tileset and objects.

Honestly, just give the players and mapmakers as many options humanely possible, there is no downside to that. If the developers do not want new players to get confused trying out the MP section by jumping into a NO KILLING escape map than maybe offer an "Custom" multiplayer mode.

Join a Multiplayer game...
-DEATHMATCH
-TEAM DEATHMATCH
-CAPTURE THE DIAMOND
-CUSTOMS

Give the community these changes and options and we will be very happy.

Now, should I work on escape map number 71 in Far Cry 2, or should I wait and plan for Far Cry 4?

GUN_SABOTUR
09-04-2014, 08:33 PM
You made 71 escape maps? Holy Moly.

Whats your In Game Name so I can try them?

oRAZORTAILo
09-04-2014, 09:11 PM
Haha he is a beast when it comes to escape maps, Sab you have no idea how many there are out there on FC2 on Xbox.

Also easily overal a half a million Escape have been hosted on FC2

Great post WniO ! thanks !

WniO
09-04-2014, 09:47 PM
You made 71 escape maps? Holy Moly.

Whats your In Game Name so I can try them?

Wni0 <--- the "Oh" is a zero. Escape Wildstone SE and Escape Wildwood SE are my two best and longest. I've also had the pleasure of co making maps with Warren Clyde, FlowOfIdeas/Obiwan and Godzcheetah. If you want a full list of the maps spread out across my accounts, (since we were only allowed 10 maps for a time,) let me know.

@RAZOR, Thanks man, your maps kickass. Do you know if anyone will be making/playing escapes on Xbox One for FarCry 4? Also, vehicles! they are listening I think?

oRAZORTAILo
09-04-2014, 11:31 PM
I am on the One, slowly others are showing their faces again, Just read that AlphaSgt14 will be on the One as well.

But even regular mappers have missed escape maps, and if FC4 turns out is we hope it does there will be plenty.

Will have a look at those escape maps you posted, will be nice to see something new.

GUN_SABOTUR
09-05-2014, 01:31 PM
I made an escape map on FC2 for a bit of fun :) It doesn't look great but has puzzles in it.

If its played solo its a good but if people join they tend to kill you. One part you have to blow up a gas tank to get past it, the gas tank then makes the grass burn and the spreading fire is kind of a timer - you need to get to the next part before the fire gets you otherwise its a restart :)

I have alot of fun making escape maps and will be making some for FC4. Karmiva is a great escape mapper on PlayStation, and I remember seeing all the Escape Wigs Mind videos for XBOX, they looked uber-cool.

oRAZORTAILo
09-05-2014, 02:52 PM
Sounds nice with the gast tank, will keep that in mind. Would love to play Karmiva's maps seen some video's of them, seems like he took it took the next level on PS.

Fallen-Champ
09-05-2014, 05:11 PM
4. Get rid of the downvoting and upvoting marks to rate maps. Here is how a lobby system filters out bad maps... they don't get played. Over time the good maps will rise to the top of the lobby. You do not need an artificial system for this. A combination of the two is not out of the question. After you play a map, let the player give it a */5 rating. Show the overall rating next to the games name on the lobby system, like this...

That could actually be the answer - I always thought the best way to know if a map is popular is if you see others hosting it online.
So I totally agree the more the map is hosted then the better it's rating becomes, don't allow users to vote negatively against the map - I would also leave out the 5 start stuff.

Only thing to think of is if an update is done then the map would start right at the back of the queue again but everyone that liked it before should like it with an update if the changes make for a better online experience so it is not really about a maps actual score but getting a map out there that is popular.

Actually you might need some form of rating because thinking about this I could make a mound of dirt with spawns and host the hell out of the map so you could be right in using a rating system but unfortunately jealous map makers and idiots in general often vote negatively towards would could be be an excellent map just because they can so any rating should allow for one vote onl - if the map receives an update then the votes are reset.

Speaking of Escape Maps I often tried to play Fovans 40 Trials and Liam / Map Builders maps on PRED BUT COULD NEVER DO THE GRENADE JUMPS AND THE HARD MAPS.

Luckily Liam and Razor walked me through some of their maps which was an excellent experience, I also managed to get through Wigs maps on FC2.
Most of my map making with FC3 was on PS3 and this was extremely limited with Escape Maps, I did Escape N Race 2 which started teams on opposite sides and was a race to the end, half way through they joined the same course.

I also did 4 maps using the Escape Your Fate name, SupaScoopa_ helped on 2 of them and did a great job, I think those were quite popular, I will be back on FC4 using the Escape Your Fate name if FC4 allows for those types of map.

And Kari was excellent on PS3 with his maps, he never made any without the update but the ones he did do were extremely well thought out and looked lush with the visuals..

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac6/MrTibarata/Battlemapnet_zps6aa0a6da.jpg

oRAZORTAILo
09-05-2014, 05:30 PM
@ Wni0 - I liked those maps, bit difficult for me at first but you have some really nice things in there.

Nice touch at the end of the map where you have an overview.

@ Champ - Is that a sand sculpture you made ?

WniO
09-05-2014, 06:16 PM
@ Wni0 - I liked those maps, bit difficult for me at first but you have some really nice things in there.

Nice touch at the end of the map where you have an overview.

@ Champ - Is that a sand sculpture you made ?

Oh my endings are terrible haha. The "wild" maps are all about challenge after challenge. Puzzle after puzzle.

I might make them easier if people would play them though, but I would rather spend that effort making one last great escape or wait and hope for FC4.

@Fallen, I dont think there is a perfect system for lobbies, rating maps should only affect what a player sees, not how they see imo.

Also, personally, I would love to have locked maps, but they would never allow that. If they did that the mysteries people made like Liams going under the terrain, or LaraCrofts elevators, or in MindEscape3s instant church death, people would appreciate the magic tricks better than simply going into the editor, or hell, just stealing someones entire map lol.

Fallen-Champ
09-05-2014, 06:59 PM
Just an image online I found Chris, I have some others which look really nice, Reference locked maps they should allow this because that is part of the fun trying to figure out how someone made something & what they used. You guys remember Map Builder - he will be on PSN with FC4, Just not sure if it is PS3 or PS4 (Got a message from him last week)

oRAZORTAILo
09-06-2014, 03:23 PM
That's nice that Map Builder will be back, maybe he can get them elevators working again in MP. Love his creativity which has been very important for escape maps.

Karmiva
09-08-2014, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the kind words in previous posts! :)

I will be making escape maps for FC4 if it's possible. I really hope it is. I'll be on PS3 or PS4 not sure yet but I will let you all know when I know.

And a little advertisement to the end: My new escape map is published! Name is Escape - Cave Temple (FC2/PS3).

Fallen-Champ
09-08-2014, 08:39 AM
Just downloaded it Kari - playing it now.
1st bit that had me puzzled for ages was those ladders in the vines - I just did not see them and spent maybe 15 mins in that room until I stumbled upon them by accident (nicely hidden)

Got as far as a room with multiple options to press triangle - ended up in a car falling to my death (you sneaky ba$tard) that was a nice surprise.
Enjoying the map it is different from your usual stuff.

(Unfortunately some nob head that joined the match keeps killing me as I get into the big room at the start - gonna have to jump out - shame some ***** always has to spoil things)

Managed to get up that rock slope finally (took me ages)
Jumping over those pillars (love it not dying if I fall - it would hurt to go back to the start for me) But those damn poles got me a few times.

Nice idea for getting over that bridge - very sneaky.

Biggest Issue in this Kari is the water area - just had 3 of us at that stage - I was there over 30 mins - looked like there was a tunnel underneath but none of us could get to it - Unsure where to go, someone called to end the match so that was it I guess.

Had to look in the editor in the end - the water room blew my mind - still can't get into the room below but looked at the next area - Very nice map with some good puzzles / tricks - Really nice end to the map.

Glen Twenty was in the map for some time but appeared to get past me very quickly - He must be good at these escape maps.

catch22rf
09-08-2014, 08:45 PM
I created the original "SKY RACE" for those who remember it on FC2

It was awesome... everyone spawns at the 'bottom'. there are no guns spawning down there, just a lot of vehicles..

Everyone races on foot or by vehicle along these ramps that seem to go forever,, up up up around and around. At the top ...is a floating platform with tons of weapons and explosives.

Who ever makes it to the top is like "king of the hill" and can rain hell down upon those at the bottom or those racing to the top.

It had a lot of downloads, everyone loved that map.

if i can...i'll create it again.

Karmiva
09-09-2014, 06:59 AM
Biggest Issue in this Kari is the water area - just had 3 of us at that stage - I was there over 30 mins - looked like there was a tunnel underneath but none of us could get to it - Unsure where to go, someone called to end the match so that was it I guess.

In the water room you will have to drop yourself backwards so you will land to the tunnel underneath right way. Just drop yourself backwards carefully and press forward when you fall.