PDA

View Full Version : General Dynamics B-52 spikes

HoosBB
08-07-2004, 11:52 PM
My grandfather worked as a material control manager/supervisor at Convair/General Dynamics for 30 some odd years. The other day he was telling me about a secret project during the Vietnam conflict where GD was manufacturing spikes that could be dropped out of B-52s into rice patties that would lacerate the feet of the VC. He didn't remember much about the project other than that they were storing most of the spikes in a storage closet near his desk and that he got in trouble when he had a couple of the spikes displayed on top of his desk. My grandpa didn't even know if the project had gone into full production or if GD was just testing it. Anyway, grandpa asked me to find out more on the subject so I was wondering if you guys could point me towards a book or a website that would fill him in a little more. Thanks

HoosBB
08-07-2004, 11:52 PM
My grandfather worked as a material control manager/supervisor at Convair/General Dynamics for 30 some odd years. The other day he was telling me about a secret project during the Vietnam conflict where GD was manufacturing spikes that could be dropped out of B-52s into rice patties that would lacerate the feet of the VC. He didn't remember much about the project other than that they were storing most of the spikes in a storage closet near his desk and that he got in trouble when he had a couple of the spikes displayed on top of his desk. My grandpa didn't even know if the project had gone into full production or if GD was just testing it. Anyway, grandpa asked me to find out more on the subject so I was wondering if you guys could point me towards a book or a website that would fill him in a little more. Thanks

Tully__
08-08-2004, 12:25 AM
Look up "caltrop" on google. Those things go back to ancient history and have been used in many conflicts as anti infantry and anti (horse) cavalry.

=================================================

http://members.optusnet.com.au/tully_78th/sig.jpg

Tully's X-45 profile (SST drivers) (http://members.optusnet.com.au/tully_78th/fb.zip)

Salut
Tully

BennyMoore
08-08-2004, 02:06 AM
...And were not nearly as effective as their heel breaker bullet traps.