PDA

View Full Version : Practice Missions?

OldPepper
05-13-2004, 11:23 AM
Hi IL2 FB folks!

I've tried searching both here and with an outside search for a bundle of simple training missions.

For instance, missions much like you see in the "Training" button area of the game. As an example, a mission where you take off with an IL2, follow some way-points to a cluster of undefended enemy tanks to take out, and waypoints back to the landing strip. Strictly for practicing really.

Or a "Fighter Scramble" mission where your flight needs to scramble to intercept another wing of fighters with light bombers, etc.

Or even simpler, a simmple mission to take-off from and land back again for practice.

I'm so new to this, if single missions exist for this purpose and were included with sim, I apologize and would then like a tip or 2 as to which missions would be good to get up to speed with.

The QuickMission Builder is a bit disappointing only in that you can't do a lift-off, for instance.

Has anyone created a bundle of these? As a new FBA pilot, single missions like these would be invaluable in speeding my pace to actual online play without embarassing myself or making enemies!

Thanks for any help or online resources you wish to post back.

<S>
OldPepper

OldPepper
05-13-2004, 11:23 AM
Hi IL2 FB folks!

I've tried searching both here and with an outside search for a bundle of simple training missions.

For instance, missions much like you see in the "Training" button area of the game. As an example, a mission where you take off with an IL2, follow some way-points to a cluster of undefended enemy tanks to take out, and waypoints back to the landing strip. Strictly for practicing really.

Or a "Fighter Scramble" mission where your flight needs to scramble to intercept another wing of fighters with light bombers, etc.

Or even simpler, a simmple mission to take-off from and land back again for practice.

I'm so new to this, if single missions exist for this purpose and were included with sim, I apologize and would then like a tip or 2 as to which missions would be good to get up to speed with.

The QuickMission Builder is a bit disappointing only in that you can't do a lift-off, for instance.

Has anyone created a bundle of these? As a new FBA pilot, single missions like these would be invaluable in speeding my pace to actual online play without embarassing myself or making enemies!

Thanks for any help or online resources you wish to post back.

&lt;S&gt;
OldPepper

Mashie_Nibblick
05-13-2004, 11:50 AM
Hi,

When I started mainlining, I mean playing, this game a little less than a year ago, I was hoping to find about the same thing you're looking for, straightforward training missions where you can first develop, then refine your digital flying , gunnery, and groundpounding skills (you specifically mention tankbusting, IMHO one of the chief pleasures of this drug, I mean game). Like you, I wasn't able to (easily) find them.

What I'd recommend is that you simply find a bird you like, and from the sounds of it you'd be into something from the Sturmovik family--nice choice--and start a campaign. You will suck at first. We all do. Nonetheless, this will throw you into the disciplines of takeoff, formation flying, navigation, combat, and--if you're lucky, or good, or both--eventually landing. Set your difficulty settings low, at first. There's no shame. One thing I would recommend is to always fly with your cockpit on. It makes picking your targets more difficult, but necessarily more realistic, not to mention that having a see-through cockpit (or "Wonder Woman view") is a real immersion-killer. Likewise, fly with realistic gunnery turned on from day one. Learning gunnery with lasers will only teach bad habits that you'll need to break later.

Also, fly the single missions. They're well-designed, good fun, and will introduce you to a variety of rides and combat conditions. A year later and I still enjoy them.

If you still want missions where you can just take off, pootle around, and land, what I'd recommend is o build them yourself. The Full Mission Builder can seem daunting at first, but it really is a piece of cake once you get the hang of it. When I'm trying to learn a new bird, I'll still open the FMB, pick a map I like (I'd recommend Kuban, for the mountains) and build a quickie. Five minutes' work, if you stop to make a pot of coffee or grab a beer.

Most of all, fly. There is no substitute for logging hours in the 'pit.

Above all, have fun. Use this game and the wide variety of pleasures it offers to do what you enjoy. It is a fantastic game, with tremendous support from the developers, and a great community. Welcome aboard.

M.

Breeze147
05-13-2004, 01:02 PM
An easy thing for Touch 'n Goes is to just go into QMB and select only yourself. Look around the map and there is usually plenty of airfields. You can touch 'n go, practice taxiing, practice takeoffs, etc. You can even practice blowing apart the airfield with bombing and strafing runs. Or do the same against an enemy, just select yourself against no defense, blast away and thumb your nose at the enemy while you use his airfield for practice. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/air_power/ap16.jpg

OldPepper
05-13-2004, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I already use mostly full realistic settings (except for map icons and paths.) I can land about 1/3 of the time and survive landing 90% so Im getting along. Cockpit Always On is on, but I do allow myself external views. Just finding the enemy is still hard at my level!

Maybe someday, I'll experiment with FMB and make a handfull of practice missions.

Some planes I can takeoff with with little trouble, and some I keep ditching in the dirt!

Enjoying this sim a lot so far. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Thanks for helping me get up to speed!

[This message was edited by OldPepper on Thu May 13 2004 at 05:34 PM.]

Zeus-cat
05-13-2004, 03:05 PM
I have a few practice missions you can have. Just send an e-mail to zeus-cat@sbcglobal.net I set this e-mail account up specifically for IL-2 messages and I haven't used it yet.

Zeus-cat

HH Quazi
05-13-2004, 03:13 PM
That Zues-Cat. I was going to offer until I got to the bottom of the post and saw that Zues-Cat had already extended a helping hand. Doesn't surprise me none. And he is one of the best mission builders, bar none. I'd take him up on his offer OldPepper. I have allot of "Missions by Zues-Cat" in my FB folder. S!

http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/nightschpanker/QuasiPOWsmall.jpg

OldPepper
05-13-2004, 06:21 PM
I sent you an Email Zues-Cat. It was bounced back and failed to get to you.

I deeply appreciate any practice missions that come my way. I made a first foray into FMB, and Im finding it fairly obtuse. Its not clear which modes your in, and waypoints have been a problem. Keep getting "Chief_1 only one waypoint error" or something when I try to save my missions.

It'll take a little more time at fiddling to figure it our proper.

Can't wait to see your missions Zeus-cat. IL2-Sturmovik should certainly consider posting them in the Missions area of this site. As a total newb, it really feels like something that is missing.

For instance, I just tried to start a Pilot Campaign, and was immediately required to take off in a plane I never tried before... Been working on Hurricane 1941 the most these days.

Then I went to Quick Mission in that plane (I 16?) with no enemies and there was no airfield nearby to attempt a 'touch-and-go'!

Things like practice missions being very available by all who have made them, help let newbs get solid with the basics before messing up online games "take off from taxi-way" land on "wide airstrip" situations.

I have yet to go online. Nice thing about sims is even offline, they are challenging and fun!

Having an abundance of practice missions will help me sink my teeth into this IL2 experience.

The sim seems to attract mostly hardcore simmers. Give me a chance and I'll get there! Complex Engine management is awesome! It's like X-Plane with bullets!

Thanks again! &lt;S&gt; er S! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by OldPepper on Thu May 13 2004 at 05:31 PM.]

Zeus-cat
05-13-2004, 08:42 PM
I apologize. My e-mail address is zeuscat@sbcglobal.net. No dash in the name.

ptegomerpyle
05-13-2004, 10:45 PM
For practising take off and taxing i just start an online dogfight server map.

You dont have to let anyone in.

And unlike QMB you can select take off and landings in difficultys.

http://img3.photobucket.com/albums/v32/PrivatePyle/monkeysig.gif (http://www.virtualnicotine.com)

plumps_
05-14-2004, 04:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ptegomerpyle:
You dont have to let anyone in.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
And you don't even have to go online to do this. Just go to Multiplay &gt; Create new Server &gt; Dogfight &gt; Create.

-----------------------------------
http://home.arcor.de/rayluck/sturmovik/stulogo-banner.jpg (http://home.arcor.de/rayluck/sturmovik/)