PDA

View Full Version : Complexity

GreenThumb_874
08-28-2014, 09:02 PM
Hi all.

I'm trying to keep the complexity of a track down. I do all the usual things like making as much as possibe 'decoration only' and avoiding objects with high complexity ratings. I'm just wondering if there are events I should avoid ; ie does a 'visibility' event use more than an 'object position' event. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also wondered - if I use objects and buildings from the prepopulated map am I saving much complexity? (I'd assume yes on this one?) and does turning the mass down make a difference if the object is already 'decoration only'?

Thanks in advance :)

IImayneII
08-28-2014, 09:21 PM
Events barely take up complexity, it's mostly just objects. You can see how much complexity they have when you look at them before chosing them.

Turning objects to deco only doesn't matter for complexity, that's only for track performance, and only as far as the physics bubble goes (so for everything outside that radius from the dl, it doesn't matter if it's deco only or not).

Turning mass down also does nothing for complexity as this is only physics based, so if it isn't in the physics bubble, and physics turned on, this option basically doesn't matter. I'm assuming objects from the prepopulated map are the same complexity as if you would place them yourself but if you don't want to add more complexity than nesceseary, I guess you can use those instead of placing new ones on the track.

Glued objects also have a high complexity so you might want to avoid those.

Core2TOM
08-29-2014, 03:19 AM
if you move, copy or delete any base world objects of the world map it will affect your complexity. if you start a new track the complexity is always 0%
any changes you do will affect the complexity. dont change anything on the world map. if you have to remove buildings or something to get some free space, use the area clear tool to just hide them.

Blackbird569
08-29-2014, 10:52 AM
if you move, copy or delete any base world objects of the world map it will affect your complexity. if you start a new track the complexity is always 0%
any changes you do will affect the complexity. dont change anything on the world map. if you have to remove buildings or something to get some free space, use the area clear tool to just hide them.

Good advise Core2tom.. Do you know if deleting a base world building(for example) is the equivalent to placing a new one complexity wise?

Thanks

GreenThumb_874
08-29-2014, 11:24 AM
Thanks for this dudes. Wish I'd waited before I went around the map gathering up all the buildings I needed last night! Sounds like I actually cost myself complexity not saved it! Bummer. So leave map objects alone and don't worry so much about everything being deco only seems like the ticket. I'm also taking from that all the stuff I deleted from the background actually made it worse?

Anymore for anymore? I'm determined to finish this track the way I want rather than compromise for complexity. Thanks for the help, keep it coming!

SparkierJoNESZ
08-29-2014, 11:42 AM
Good advise Core2tom.. Do you know if deleting a base world building(for example) is the equivalent to placing a new one complexity wise?

Thanks

the best way to "delete" base world stuff is to use area clears

doing anything with base world stuff will increase complexity

also greenthumb in evo you could "cheat complexity" like you could place all stuff you needed and later move base world stuff(increasing complexity but it doesn't matter because you couldn't add anything more anyway) make sure to test properly though because it might cause issues and if you want to add new objects you will have to delete alot before you can place 1 new thing

Core2TOM
08-29-2014, 11:55 AM
Blackbird56695, every change you do on the world map will be saved. so what happens if you move base world objects? lets say there is a Building at 150, 80, 280 by default and you move it:

Building at 150, 80, 280 is deleted
Building at 180, 100, 300 (or something) is placed
if its a base world building or a new one doesnt matter. building = building.

GreenThumb_874, as bassline001 said: the objects physics type (i.e. decoration only) has nothing to do with complexity at all.
its all about track performance. objects outside the physics bubble are always decoration only. what the physics bubble does is activating the physicial body of an object. if you have much objects around your drivingline (inside the physics bubble) that needs more performance and you can turn some objects, the bike / rider cant collide with, to decoration only so save some performance.

check the editor tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL38DB3EFF27B438AA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jyMX3-au5c

Blackbird569
08-29-2014, 12:22 PM
the best way to "delete" base world stuff is to use area clears

doing anything with base world stuff will increase complexity

Cool thanks... I will put this to use in future builds..

if its a base world building or a new one doesnt matter. building = building.
Building = building nicely summed up.... thanks core..

This may be me over thinking things, but if you deleted a base building that costs you the complexity of placing one, then you placed one in its stead. would that = 2 buildings?

Core2TOM
08-29-2014, 12:46 PM
if you deleted a base building that costs you the complexity of placing one, then you placed one in its stead. would that = 2 buildings?

i havent tested it, but thats how it should be

GreenThumb_874
08-29-2014, 02:21 PM
Wow i really have been going about it the wrong way. Explains a lot though. Ive litterally been going about this backwards. Too late for my current track (i deleted so much stuff. Some of it wasnt even in the way! I just thought it would help as it was near my track) but it'll help in future. One last question. Does making a 'pre world' object invisible add any complexity?

Just noticed your the same person who messaged me on xbox one Core2TOM. Thanks for the feedback on my Terraform Terror/Terraform Terra map. Hope you preferred the amended version with the actually possible platinum track time! Cant believe the 2 versions ended up side by side on the 'best of the week' list. Looks a bit daft. I'll have a search for your custom tracks tonight.

Cheers

dasraizer
08-29-2014, 03:12 PM
Hi

The base worlds object data is stored as part of the base world map data, outside your track save data, so modifying or moving any base world object, although it wouldn't add to complexity, will add to your tracks file size, as it will need to store this extra information + the base world object ID affected, it would be cheaper in terms of file size to just add the new object and clear the base world ones with the area clear tool (if your clearing more than one object), so yes setting the building to invisible, if your doing more than one object would probably add to your tracks file size.

GreenThumb_874
08-29-2014, 05:24 PM
Hi

The base worlds object data is stored as part of the base world map data, outside your track save data, so modifying or moving any base world object, although it wouldn't add to complexity, will add to your tracks file size, as it will need to store this extra information + the base world object ID affected, it would be cheaper in terms of file size to just add the new object and clear the base world ones with the area clear tool (if your clearing more than one object), so yes setting the building to invisible, if your doing more than one object would probably add to your tracks file size.

Cheers fella that makes sense now. Really appreciated