PDA

View Full Version : ENEMY A.I. DISCUSSION

XyZspineZyX
07-05-2003, 12:03 AM
The A.I has GENERALLY IMPROVED SIGNIFICANTLY though there are certain irritating weaknesses.

PLUSES

1) They are ACTUALLY GOING BACK TO COVER AFTER SHOOTING. This is something new in the R6/GR series. In GR they took cover but once they started shooting they never went back to cover. This according to me is the BIGGEST PLUS as it makes the A.I more realistic and hard to kill.

2) The SELF PRESERVATION tendency of the enemy has definitely improved.

3) They TRY TO EMERGE FROM DIFFERENT POINTS OF THE SAME COVER AND TRY TO CATCH THE PLAYER UNAWARE. This is so realistic. The tendency of the A.I. TO TRY TO BEFOOL the player is very interesting.

4) They FIRE A LOT ON FULLAUTO rather than take single and accurate head shots. They also give a lot of COVERING FIRE which makes the ambience more interesting and gives a pinned down effect.

5) They TAKE COVER FAST and do not crawl to a cover even when somebody is shooting up their ***.

6) They act differently at different times and the A.I. gives the feeling of being nonscripted.

MINUSES

1) They are STILL UNABLE TO PEEK AROUND CORNERS, though the player has the feature. This gives the player an unfair advantage. Further peeking is very realistic and would make the game much more interesting. OTHER GAMES like SOF2, Die Hard - Nakatomi Plaza, Nolf etc.have this feature and it is so cool. JUST POKING THEIR HANDS OUT(with lighter weapons ) and shooting would also be a good feature.

2) The GENERAL MOVEMENT IS UNREALISTICALLY FAST and gives a FPS FEEL RATHER THAN A TACTICAL SHOOTER FEEL. The stealthy approach by the enemy which was sooo nice in GR is sadly missing. THE ENEMY SHOULD TAKE COVER FAST BUT SHOULD APPROACH STEALTHILY.

3) They seem to be ALWAYS JUMPING FROM SIDE TO SIDE when shooting. This is so unrealistic. They very often move from a secure position to an unsecure position and it makes no sense.

4) As in all past releases, THE AIM OF THE ENEMIES IS UNREALISTICALLY ACCURATE. They are firing at full auto. How is it possible for an enemy to hit the player very frequently, if he peeks from a cover for a fraction of a second, for the first time?
[ The A.I has becomes significantly better and there is no need to make the enemies unrealistically sharp shooters, in order to make the game challenging.]

5) The A.I is very good at short distances BUT DETERIORATES SIGNIFICANTLY AS THE DISTANCE INCREASES. At long distances they are bad. EVEN AT MEDIUM DISTANES, LIKE STREETS, THEY DO NOT TAKE COVER AS THEY DO AT SHORT DISTANCES.

XyZspineZyX
07-05-2003, 12:03 AM
The A.I has GENERALLY IMPROVED SIGNIFICANTLY though there are certain irritating weaknesses.

PLUSES

1) They are ACTUALLY GOING BACK TO COVER AFTER SHOOTING. This is something new in the R6/GR series. In GR they took cover but once they started shooting they never went back to cover. This according to me is the BIGGEST PLUS as it makes the A.I more realistic and hard to kill.

2) The SELF PRESERVATION tendency of the enemy has definitely improved.

3) They TRY TO EMERGE FROM DIFFERENT POINTS OF THE SAME COVER AND TRY TO CATCH THE PLAYER UNAWARE. This is so realistic. The tendency of the A.I. TO TRY TO BEFOOL the player is very interesting.

4) They FIRE A LOT ON FULLAUTO rather than take single and accurate head shots. They also give a lot of COVERING FIRE which makes the ambience more interesting and gives a pinned down effect.

5) They TAKE COVER FAST and do not crawl to a cover even when somebody is shooting up their ***.

6) They act differently at different times and the A.I. gives the feeling of being nonscripted.

MINUSES

1) They are STILL UNABLE TO PEEK AROUND CORNERS, though the player has the feature. This gives the player an unfair advantage. Further peeking is very realistic and would make the game much more interesting. OTHER GAMES like SOF2, Die Hard - Nakatomi Plaza, Nolf etc.have this feature and it is so cool. JUST POKING THEIR HANDS OUT(with lighter weapons ) and shooting would also be a good feature.

2) The GENERAL MOVEMENT IS UNREALISTICALLY FAST and gives a FPS FEEL RATHER THAN A TACTICAL SHOOTER FEEL. The stealthy approach by the enemy which was sooo nice in GR is sadly missing. THE ENEMY SHOULD TAKE COVER FAST BUT SHOULD APPROACH STEALTHILY.

3) They seem to be ALWAYS JUMPING FROM SIDE TO SIDE when shooting. This is so unrealistic. They very often move from a secure position to an unsecure position and it makes no sense.

4) As in all past releases, THE AIM OF THE ENEMIES IS UNREALISTICALLY ACCURATE. They are firing at full auto. How is it possible for an enemy to hit the player very frequently, if he peeks from a cover for a fraction of a second, for the first time?
[ The A.I has becomes significantly better and there is no need to make the enemies unrealistically sharp shooters, in order to make the game challenging.]

5) The A.I is very good at short distances BUT DETERIORATES SIGNIFICANTLY AS THE DISTANCE INCREASES. At long distances they are bad. EVEN AT MEDIUM DISTANES, LIKE STREETS, THEY DO NOT TAKE COVER AS THEY DO AT SHORT DISTANCES.

XyZspineZyX
07-05-2003, 02:08 AM
The main reason they are scoring impossible shots is because the weapon stats are screwed up and ressemble Counter-Strike and other more arcade shooters where random spray patterns are more effective than burst firing.

Also, the other reason the Tango AI is frustrating is because, as you said, they never miss.

They don't miss because they have settings like "Sniper Skill 100, Assault Skill 100... When the only weapon they are assigned is a Baretta 92F!

This is why they can urealistically gun down and entire R6 team with just a side arm.

However, as I stated in your other post, I figured out (finally) how to make them LESS ACCURATE and am going to be releasing this "mod" soon. It is replacement pack for all the retail maps' templates (a template is where the Tango Skills and weapons come from that the game uses for their AI).

I've tweaked them to be more realistic and more in line with average players' skills as well as REMOVED the CO-OP C-Mag fetish that UBI seemed to think they needed in Co-Op maps. In other words, people will finally be able to play Co-Op without the Tangos using C-Mags which will even the odds a bit along with the reduced accuracy to simulate more "human" response and reaction time. In addition, I've upped their awareness so no more of this stuff where you cap a Tango's buddy that is five feet from him and he just stands there day dreaming.

XyZspineZyX
07-05-2003, 05:24 PM
Yeah i too am getting sick of these sharp shooters. I barely peek from a corner and BAM! im dead. But he is still fireing at me full auto. lol

One more thing i would like the mention, The multiplayer cheating seems to have gotten worse.

P4-2.4Gig
1GigPC2100 DDR Ram
SoyoDragon Ulrtra Mobo
8X AGP Slot
GF-4Ti4600pny
20"Monitor
40GigHD
58xCDRW-Drive
DVDRom-Drive
SB-Live 5.1
DX-9.0
XP-PRO
So he tells me, "I ban the Me262 cause its turn rate is over modeled and it dosnt stall"... Then he takes off from his base in a Hurricane.

XyZspineZyX
07-05-2003, 10:31 PM
Hi Kung fu

It is really good to find somebody thinking along my lines and having the ability to make changes. Thanks a lot for replying.

Where can I find your SP mods and which one is the most recent and complete ?

Is there any way to change the other minus points that I mentioned, especially giving the tangoes the ability to peek around corners like I am able to do and to stop them from running around randomly,all the time, like fools?

From where can i mess with the A.I settings ?

I hope that the changes you have made have not made the A.I such that it does not take cover or emerge from different points ?

Thanks again for the efforts u are putting in to satisfy hardcore RS fans like me.

XyZspineZyX
07-06-2003, 06:18 PM
well all i can say is that they did a hell of alot better here than on BT. once i hucked a nade at a terro, like always i hear "Grenade!" so i continuethe plan which goes emidialty over there(that was when i was a newbie) so i walk over there and he's sitting on it!then it blows his @$$ off!!

so just be glad that they don't do that any more.

in this job if you have to say "oops" it's to late.

XyZspineZyX
07-06-2003, 07:24 PM
m4power wrote:
- Hi Kung fu

- Where can I find your SP mods and which one is the
- most recent and complete ?

http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view-topic.asp?name=us_ravenshield_mod&id=zzplo

In additon, Tangos should be MORE responsive instead of running around like idiots and react more like hardened soliders/mercs than AI Idiots /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

For reviews of the Mod see this thread:

http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view-topic.asp?name=us_ravenshield_gd&id=ztfoj

The next version is going to be either 1.2 or possibly 1.3 with an installer that lets you turn it on or off so you can play normal MP and SP, CO-OP with the addition of Iron Sights. I am not sh*tting you. We are going to have I.S. before the SDK as I and others are working on this as we speak.

Ballistic penentration and more stopping power may be in 1.4 or in 1.3 depending on how much more stuff we can cram in there /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

http://home.attbi.com/~dmoudry/sig.jpg

XyZspineZyX
07-06-2003, 08:21 PM
CGReload wrote:
- Yeah i too am getting sick of these sharp shooters.
- I barely peek from a corner and BAM! im dead. But
- he is still fireing at me full auto. lol

it also ticks me off that they can shoot you during impossible spots.

http://douglas.min.net/evil-linux.gif

http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/steve123456/twak.gif

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 09:16 PM
I have found the enemy A.I to be quite interesting. They almost always stay behind some cover and out of the player's eyesight. Then they suddenly come out, shoot and then disappear behind cover. I have really liked this aspect.

The friendly A.I does not take any cover though. They seem oblivious to any sort of gunfire in their direction or their buddies dieing. This is spoiling the gameplay.

The enemies are always running around randomly. This point must be changed.They should move more naturally.

I don't find the shooting of the enemies to be too accurate.They miss quite a lot. They seem to be too accurate because they are always firing on full auto and as the distances are very short,the player gets hit too easily. This point is realistic.

XyZspineZyX
07-12-2003, 05:07 AM
You know what tick's me off the most is when I get killed and my AI just stands there when the enemy is right I mean point blank in front of his face. The Terroist A.I always seems to find cover but no my AI just stands there like clint eastwood. Then the countless times when they get stuck in the door ways (not to mention walking into a wall over and over and over), Or when they stand in front of you when you're shooting. But on the other hand my AI has saved my behind many times.They do some pretty cool stuff some times. but I still dont trust them. The Rainbow Six team is supposed to be the best NATO has to offer, So I would think the Youre Team AI would be at least one level smarter than the Terroist AI. I mean I dont want an easy game dont get me wrong but come on Youre part of an Elite Counter Terriost force you should be able to find secruity in youre AI. Now my ranting has come to a conclusion. I still like the game but sometimes I just sit there dumb founded staring at the screen thinking what the **** is my so called "Elite" force doing? oh well..nothings perfect.

http://users.adelphia.net/~sisco86/bwraven1.jpg

XyZspineZyX
07-12-2003, 05:41 AM
yeah sisco i thought about this to. In real life almost any counter terrorist org. would train so long and hard they would just cream the ever living shiFt out of any poor terrie that comes along. But then if they did that in rs then the game would be way to easy.

Unless they do something stupid like the ATF and get a big 60 man swat team in go-carts to storm a building with paper thin walls housing over 200 religious fantatics with automatic weaponshttp://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

XyZspineZyX
07-12-2003, 07:20 PM
Im not saying make the game easy, Im saying make Friendly AI smarter or at least up to par with the Terrorist AI. dont make them crappier (is that a word?)

http://users.adelphia.net/~sisco86/bwraven1.jpg