PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't Unity called Assassins Creed V?

Journey93
08-16-2014, 01:35 AM
I mean Assassins Creed II was a significant improvement to I hence why its numbered
the same with III but then somehow Black Flag was numbered?! Even though it was more like AC: B and AC:R were to AC:II
basically an extension to III like Rouge is going to be

So now we have Unity which looks awesome and also seems like a leap forward for the Assassins Creed franchise but it isn't numbered
Why?

Jexx21
08-16-2014, 01:36 AM
Because it doesn't have Desmond in it.

Pandassin
08-16-2014, 01:41 AM
My guess is because there are two new AC's this year, one for current gen, and one for last gen. Since they can't both be called Assassin's Creed V they just left out the number and gave them the Unity/Rogue title because in a way, they are both ACV, but can't both be named ACV if that makes any sense.

Journey93
08-16-2014, 01:52 AM
My guess is because there are two new AC's this year, one for current gen, and one for last gen. Since they can't both be called Assassin's Creed V they just left out the number and gave them the Unity/Rogue title because in a way, they are both ACV, but can't both be named ACV if that makes any sense.

could be but its pretty clear from the gameplay videos that these two titles aren't equal
I mean with Unity you can see the improvements and the next gen feel but Rouge is more like the ACR
with reusing a lot of previous assets and so on

ze_topazio
08-16-2014, 01:53 AM
How was AC4 an extension of AC3? just because it used the same engine? since when do sequels need to change engines every time? Different protagonist, different setting, different period, gameplay centered around naval, new gadgets and abilities, AC2 just refined the AC1 formula and add a bunch new abilities, so why do people always say AC4 was not worthy of a number?

pacmanate
08-16-2014, 01:54 AM
Idk. Shouldnt this technically be AC8 or AC9 if you take into account Liberation?

Basically, the number thing means NOTHING anymore. It had a purpose from the start of the franchise as it was supposed to be a trilogy I think.

No idea why Black Flag has a random "4".

BoBwUzHeRe1138
08-16-2014, 01:56 AM
I mean Assassins Creed II was a significant improvement to I hence why its numbered
the same with III but then somehow Black Flag was numbered?! Even though it was more like AC: B and AC:R were to AC:II
basically an extension to III like Rouge is going to be

So now we have Unity which looks awesome and also seems like a leap forward for the Assassins Creed franchise but it isn't numbered
Why?

ROGUE.

Rogueroguerogueroguerogueroguerogue

Jexx21
08-16-2014, 01:57 AM

because it has Desmond in it.

AC4 pretty much closed Desmond's character completely so I'm guessing that's why AC4 is called AC4.

rprkjj
08-16-2014, 01:58 AM
How was AC4 an extension of AC3? just because it used the same engine? since when do sequels need to change engines every time? Different protagonist, different setting, different period, gameplay centered around naval, new gadgets and abilities, AC2 just refined the AC1 formula and add a bunch new abilities, so why do people always say AC4 was not worthy of a number?

It wasn't far apart historically, the main character wasn't fleshed out in the style of Connor or Ezio, and gameplay centered around a main gimmick, such as navel, the hookblade or the brotherhood. They didn't necessarily have to take away the number, it'd just make more sense if they did.

I also wondered why Unity didn't get a number, but I think it's for the reason above, as well as another AC coming out this year. Makes me hopeful next years AC will be even better.

Journey93
08-16-2014, 02:04 AM
[QUOTE=ze_topazio;10167941]How was AC4 an extension of AC3? just because it used the same engine? since when do sequels need to change engines every time? Different protagonist, different setting, different period, gameplay centered around naval, new gadgets and abilities, AC2 just refined the AC1 formula and add a bunch new abilities, so why do people always say AC4 was not worthy of a number?[/QUOTE

well because it was very similiar to 3 in terms of gameplay and graphics sure it had naval gameplay but AC3 introduced that already and AC2 was more of an improvement to AC I than AC 4 to III to say that it just refined some aspects is just silly (its more like Black Flag refined the naval gameplay of AC3)

Also Unity is more "worthy" as you say of a number than Black Flag since its a step up from previous games and is the first real Next Gen Assasins Creed
but it doesn't have that so thats where I'm confused

Journey93
08-16-2014, 02:07 AM
Yeah I agree I'm hoping AC: V will be a completely new time period (like Egypt or Ancient Rome)
and bring something new to the Series

Locopells
08-16-2014, 03:26 AM
Idk. Shouldnt this technically be AC8 or AC9 if you take into account Liberation?

Basically, the number thing means NOTHING anymore. It had a purpose from the start of the franchise as it was supposed to be a trilogy I think.

Nope, since Liberation was a spin off ACIII and Rogue should be ACIV: Rogue, seeing as it does the same thing as ACIII:L in spinning off the main title.

Unity should be ACV, with the Unity subtitle if they do another semi sequel, like they have with BF/R).

LoyalACFan
08-16-2014, 03:36 AM
Because they're going to make God knows how many of these games so it was easier to just drop the numbers now so they wouldn't have to suffer the embarrassment of releasing Assassin's Creed XXVII.

guardian_titan
08-16-2014, 05:11 AM
Personally, I'm used to Final Fantasy numbering method. You get I through XV and sequels to games are labeled with the numeral and another digit like X-2, XIII-2, etc. From a glance, how are newcomers supposed to know Brotherhood and Revelations are sequels to AC2? Then Liberation went from being AC3: Liberation on the Vita edition to just AC: Liberation so that makes you really scratch your head. Freedom Cry (the standalone) should be AC4: Freedom Cry, too. I named my Brotherhood shortcut AC2-2 and Revelations AC2-3 just so they were in order on my desktop and so I could play them in order ... if I wanted to go back to them. I don't like going hunting for icons. I want them all together and in order.

Supposedly the reason why AC4 was AC4 was because it starred a new assassin, but by that logic, Liberation should have been AC4 (starred Aveline who was a new assassin), AC4 should be AC5, Freedom Cry should have been AC6, Unity's AC7, and Rogue's AC8. At least Unity should be AC5 Unity and Rogue is AC5 Rogue, but for whatever reasoning, marketing decided they didn't want the V on the cover. They could have done an inverted Assassin symbol or something. For Rogue, it could have been a symbol for Shay flipping sides.

I'm really not understanding Ubisoft's marketing agenda as of late. They keep changing gears and is only serves to confuse people. I really wish they'd pick a marketing method and keep to it. Constantly jumping around is getting irritating. Whatever happened to, "If it's not broke, don't fix it"? If this keeps up for later games, how are newcomers to the series supposed to figure out what order the games are played in? AC1 and AC2 are obvious, but then you throw Brotherhood, Revelations, AC3, Liberation, Freedom Cry, Unity, and Rogue into that mix. That's enough to make some people say screw it and walk away. Others might jump in to whatever game and get confused by the modern story and quit. Others might keep to it like myself. I started with AC3 and was confused, but I liked the game so did research and got the other games. What happens next year when AC whatever comes out and that doesn't have a number too? Then you have seven games with no number to confuse people on what order to play the game on top of the four that do have numbers. Do I play AC1, AC2, AC3, and AC4 first then go back to play the others? Or are they in a specific order? If next year's game suddenly has a number now, then people will just be confused by that. Especially if it ends up AC6. Where's AC5? Ubisoft says they want newcomers to the series but their marketing lately seems to suggest differently. I just keep seeing ways they're confusing people.

Fatal-Feit
08-16-2014, 05:13 AM
They should have stopped the numbers at 3. Stopping at the number IV on a Brotherhood-like sequel makes things a little confusing for most people.

LoyalACFan
08-16-2014, 05:36 AM
They should have stopped the numbers at 3. Stopping at the number IV on a Brotherhood-like sequel makes things a little confusing for most people.

AC4 wasn't a Brotherhood-like sequel though, it was a new protagonist in a new setting.

Fatal-Feit
08-16-2014, 05:45 AM
AC4 wasn't a Brotherhood-like sequel though, it was a new protagonist in a new setting.

Gameplay-wise, many of the assets were the same, and some were even downgrades. There wasn't that drastic jump, just a re-skin. Not that I'm saying AC:IV was lazy or bad.

GreySkellig
08-16-2014, 08:15 AM
ROGUE.

Rogueroguerogueroguerogueroguerogue

Literally my first thought when the trailer was leaked: "Oh, great, I'm going to have to see people referring to an Assassin's Creed named after cosmetics for the foreseeable future, aren't I?"

Honestly, though, it really isn't that hard. I don't know why 80% of the internet can't seem to keep the two words straight, especially when games constantly spell it out. Rogue = scamp, scoundrel, uncontrolled person. Rouge = French word for red; blush cosmetic.

OT, I think Ubisoft is trying to get away from the numbered system so that it doesn't get awkward when Assassin's Creed XIV comes out. Might seem a bit gauche at that point.

CSKarasu
08-16-2014, 08:50 AM
Will we even see an AC:V? It seems to me that around 5 or 6 video game series usually drop off the numbering.

I should also think it'd be better for the series if they do drop the numbering. When games are higher numbered it gives new buyers the impression they won't understand the new game without playing the others.

Sesheenku
08-16-2014, 08:56 AM
Literally my first thought when the trailer was leaked: "Oh, great, I'm going to have to see people referring to an Assassin's Creed named after cosmetics for the foreseeable future, aren't I?"

Honestly, though, it really isn't that hard. I don't know why 80% of the internet can't seem to keep the two words straight, especially when games constantly spell it out. Rogue = scamp, scoundrel, uncontrolled person. Rouge = French word for red; blush cosmetic.

OT, I think Ubisoft is trying to get away from the numbered system so that it doesn't get awkward when Assassin's Creed XIV comes out. Might seem a bit gauche at that point.

Man people can't even keep your you're straight.

Oh and I never get the crap with embarrassment over too many sequels.

Final Fantasy already did it and nobody hated them universally until 13 came out.

There's no sensible reason to be embarassed, just put the bloody number on the box so I know where to start, continue, and end.

Fatal-Feit
08-16-2014, 09:41 AM
Consumers these days will find any reason to complain about a well established franchise. Numbered titles will not only just fuel the enthusiasts who likes to compare AC to CoD, but make the franchise's milking a whole lot more apparent.

ze_topazio
08-16-2014, 10:49 AM
Man people can't even keep your you're straight.

Oh and I never get the crap with embarrassment over too many sequels.

Final Fantasy already did it and nobody hated them universally until 13 came out.

There's no sensible reason to be embarassed, just put the bloody number on the box so I know where to start, continue, and end.

The first Final Fantasy was released in 1987, it took them 22 years to reach the 13th main installment.

Sesheenku
08-16-2014, 10:56 AM
The first Final Fantasy was released in 1987, it took them 22 years to reach the 13th main installment.

Probably cause they didn't put like 100k people working on a single game.

Not that their games are bad quality but they don't have as much man power.

ze_topazio
08-16-2014, 11:16 AM
Probably cause they didn't put like 100k people working on a single game.

Not that their games are bad quality but they don't have as much man power.

They just didn't released games yearly.

marvelfannumber
08-16-2014, 11:22 AM
I am not a fan of them dropping the numbers personally, I mean it was bad enough before but now it's gonna get even more confusing for new players later on when they are trying to get into the series.

I mean it's like any movie franchise, it's chronologically confusing! Just.....just this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEVzPCY2T-g

jeordievera
08-16-2014, 11:33 AM
They just answered that on Twitter
http://i58.tinypic.com/2u79eg2.jpg

ze_topazio
08-16-2014, 11:40 AM
Does that mean that next year game will have the V?

pacmanate
08-16-2014, 11:45 AM
Does that mean that next year game will have the V?

It will have a "II" :p

Edit - Or "Assassin's Creed 2: The Second"

jeordievera
08-16-2014, 11:48 AM
It will have a "II" :p

Edit - Or "Assassin's Creed 2: The Second"
Assassin's Creed Unity II ? :rolleyes:

CSKarasu
08-16-2014, 11:54 AM
Assassin's Creed II Fast II Furious

ze_topazio
08-16-2014, 11:57 AM
2016 game

Assassin's Creed Tokyo Parkour

marvelfannumber
08-16-2014, 11:59 AM
Assassin's Creed Resurrection

Assassin's Creed Insurrection

Assassin's Creed Nemesis

Assassin's Creed; The Revenge

ScarFace_1415
08-16-2014, 01:43 PM
Maybe because it's a pre sequel to ACV maybe like ezio trilogy but opposite.. So Arno true story will starts next year :rolleyes:

LatinaC09
08-17-2014, 01:53 AM
Who knows? I never really understood the numbering/titling but as long as the games are good I just don't really care.

SixKeys
08-17-2014, 02:01 AM
I'm pretty sure the days of numbered sequels are over. Including ACU and ACRO, the franchise already has nine main games, plus a few handheld titles. They're trying to make it noob-friendly and newbies will be reluctant to jump in if the latest game is number XVII or whatever. I know I've never gotten into Final Fantasy because the thought of going through 13+ games seems like way too much work.

Fatal-Feit
08-17-2014, 02:14 AM
I'm pretty sure the days of numbered sequels are over. Including ACU and ACRO, the franchise already has nine main games, plus a few handheld titles. They're trying to make it noob-friendly and newbies will be reluctant to jump in if the latest game is number XVII or whatever. I know I've never gotten into Final Fantasy because the thought of going through 13+ games seems like way too much work.

Each Final Fantasy takes place in a different universe with a different story. It's not like Assassin's Creed where the stories are connected.