PDA

View Full Version : Who's your favorite supporting character?

tempest224
08-15-2014, 03:10 PM
through the series we meet various assassins and templars which is all well and good, but let's not forget the unsung heroes, the supporting characters. I'm curious to know who you all like the best.

personally i enjoyed yusuf. he had that child-like playfulness about him while still taking himself and the assassin order seriously, plus if the body count he wracked up while defending Ezio's love interest is any indication, he's pretty badass as well

wvstolzing
08-15-2014, 03:24 PM
AC4: Blackbeard
AC3: Achilles
ACR: Suleiman
ACB: Leonardo
AC2: Leonardo
AC1: Malik

Bloodlines: Maria
Liberation: Gérald

-- about Yusuf: I'm not sure whether 'Tazim' is intended as his 'family name'; if so, it's a mistake, in that there were no formal 'family name/surnames' in Turkey before 1934. 'Tazim' is a loan word from Arabic, which is supposed to mean, 'to show respect, deference', etc. It's long obsolete in modern Turkish. It's interesting, if the name is supposed to highlight his deference for Ezio.

THE_JOKE_KING33
08-15-2014, 03:53 PM
Leonardo bar none.

Stealth Gamer92
08-15-2014, 04:00 PM
Benjaman Hornigold. He think's just like me.:cool:

JustPlainQuirky
08-15-2014, 04:13 PM
H-A-Y-T-H-A-M

but if he doesnt count, then.....

Malik

Matknapers18
08-15-2014, 05:18 PM
Yusuf! <3

http://i61.tinypic.com/21ae2s1.jpg

Shahkulu101
08-15-2014, 05:25 PM
I enjoy a lot of the characters, but here's my favourites from each game (I think! I'll probably miss someone):

AC1 - Al Mualim
AC2 - Leonardo
ACB - Leonardo (tried to think of the supporting characters there - honestly couldn't think of any good ones so Leonardo again it is)
ACR - Yusuf
AC3 - Achilles
AC4 - Adewale

Assassin_M
08-15-2014, 05:28 PM
AC I: Malik
AC II: Leonardo
ACB: La Volpe
ACR: Yusuf
AC III: Achilles
AC IV: Mary

Namikaze_17
08-15-2014, 05:31 PM
This Guy:
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/209/2/b/young_achilles_davenport_by_inside_joke-d6fmfrg.png
^ Hopefully this is how he looks in Rogue.

But......

AC1: Malik
ACB: Leonardo ( Niccolo was Second, Everyone else was meh)
ACR: Yusuf? ( No one was really there)
AC3: Achilles
AC4: Blackbeard/ Mary

jeordievera
08-15-2014, 05:35 PM
H-A-Y-T-H-A-M

but if he doesnt count, then.....

Malik
I second that!

marvelfannumber
08-15-2014, 05:36 PM
Paul Revere is my favorite, obviously. :rolleyes:

SpiritOfNevaeh
08-15-2014, 05:36 PM
ACB: Leonardo
AC III: Achilles - I wanted to say Haytham but he technically wasn't supportive lol

jeordievera
08-15-2014, 05:41 PM
How could I forget?!
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me80x4sqo01qfh2bxo1_500.png

Namikaze_17
08-15-2014, 05:55 PM

"TO THE LEFT CONNOR!"
"NO, RIGHT!"
"ALMOST THERE! WE'RE RIGHT ON COURSE!"

Connor's Head: "SHUT UP!!!!"

JustPlainQuirky
08-15-2014, 05:55 PM
I never had a problem with Paul Revere.

I guess I was just always on course.

SpiritOfNevaeh
08-15-2014, 06:01 PM
"TO THE LEFT CONNOR!"
"NO, RIGHT!"
"ALMOST THERE! WE'RE RIGHT ON COURSE!"

Connor's Head: "SHUT UP!!!!"

More like STOP... POKING ME!! xD

That sound clip was hilarious

But yes, Paul Revere... Uuuuugghhhhhh

I-Like-Pie45
08-15-2014, 06:07 PM

You were working as a silversmith in Boston's North End
When I met you
I picked you out, I shook you up
And turned you around
Turned you into someone new
Now five years later on you've got the world at your feet
Success has been so easy for you
But don't forget it's me who put you where you are now
And I can put you back down too.

Don't. Don't you want me?
You know I can't believe it when I hear that you won't see me
Don't. Don't you want me?
You know I don't believe you when you say that you don't need me

It's much too late to find
When you think you've changed your mind
You'd better change it back or we will both be sorry

Don't you want me, baby?
Don't you want me? Oh!
Don't you want me, baby?
Don't you want me? Oh!

-Connor

Matknapers18
08-15-2014, 06:09 PM
I feel that Ah Tabai from AC4 was an underrated side character, being pretty much the only assassin in an assassin's creed game.Yeah, he didn't have much screen time but It was nice to see a character who was 100% loyal to the cause and committed to the creed. It was fun seeing him put Edward in his place.

http://i57.tinypic.com/35jfcpc.jpg

Stealth Gamer92
08-15-2014, 06:10 PM
I never had a problem with Paul Revere.

I guess I was just always on course.

I didn't like how he was saying "The British are comeing." It was the only peeve I had with that game. In reality he said "The red coats are comeing" due to most collonists still refering to themselves as british still.

Namikaze_17
08-15-2014, 06:21 PM

When he did ever poke Connor? I thought he Revere learned his lesson the first time he touched him. Connor looked like how was gonna break his neck.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdpwpi9BHa1rggy7do3_500.gif

jeordievera
08-15-2014, 06:28 PM
Paul Revere never gave up on touching Connor hence the one horse mission :rolleyes:

SpiritOfNevaeh
08-15-2014, 06:36 PM
@Nami

I'm talking about this sound clip. Listen at 0:18. This line was never used in-game but it's assumed that Connor was supposed to say that at one point during the ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkc2Gl_ip0A&index=9&list=PLpZTLuh7iREZGZxbVdjYvqs-g16245rwM

GunnerGalactico
08-15-2014, 06:39 PM
When he did ever poke Connor? I thought he Revere learned his lesson the first time he touched him. Connor looked like how was gonna break his neck.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdpwpi9BHa1rggy7do3_500.gif

The dialogue was never used in the game unfortunately, but it was meant to be used for the Paul Revere mission :p

My favourite supporting characters are:

AC1- Malik
AC2- Leonardo
ACB- Machiavelli and La Volpe
ACR- Yusuf
AC3- Achilles
AC4- Adewale, Blackbeard and Mary Read

Kaschra
08-15-2014, 06:39 PM
AC1 - Malik
AC2 - Leonardo, Rosa
ACB - Leonardo, Claudia
ACR - Yusuf, Sofia
AC3 - does Haytham count? If not, then Achilles
ACL - Elise Lafleur
AC4 - Mary

AherasSTRG
08-15-2014, 06:42 PM
Rosa from AC2. From teenage urchin to expert thief to leader of the Italian Brotherhood of Assassins, this character overshadows every other support character in the series, for me.

Shahkulu101
08-15-2014, 06:50 PM
Rosa from AC2. From teenage urchin to expert thief to leader of the Italian Brotherhood of Assassins, this character overshadows every other support character in the series, for me.

What character?

Seriously she's barely in the game - you're looking at her through Rosa tinted glasses. Your opinion of course, but she's doesn't really play a part in the story that much...

AherasSTRG
08-15-2014, 06:54 PM
What character?

Seriously she's barely in the game - you're looking at her through Rosa tinted glasses. Your opinion of course, but she's doesn't really play a part in the story that much...

I agree. It was the ACwiki article and the fact that I read the book Renaissance that gave me great insight into the character. Plus, the tragic loss of her voice actor back in 2010. Now, 4 years after AC2, I cannot, but feel like Rosa is the best support character in the games. I value every single line of dialogue she has more than I do the rest of the characters

tempest224
08-15-2014, 07:19 PM

aw man i completely forgot about paul revere...he was a demanding little man

Jexx21
08-15-2014, 07:26 PM
ACB: La Volpe
AC III: Achilles

Pretty much this. Although I think I consider Achilles and Haytham as equal.

bitebug2003
08-15-2014, 07:48 PM
The horse :)

JustPlainQuirky
08-15-2014, 07:49 PM
I never liked Achilles.

But maybe Rogue will change my mind.

Xstantin
08-15-2014, 07:52 PM
AC1: no one really. Probably sarcastic mission giver assassin
ACB: probably Claudia cause she got some screentime
ACR: Yusuf. Tarik if it counts, cause he looked awesome
ACIII: Haytham
ACBF: Mary

CSKarasu
08-15-2014, 07:55 PM
Overall, for me, it's gotta be Shaun. The guy is such a great character, he's got more personality than most of the characters combined.

If we're talking animus only characters, I'd probably say James Kidd. Again great personality and the perfect foil to Edward's recklessness.

JustPlainQuirky
08-15-2014, 08:00 PM
I like Shaun, but he's a bit too much of a trope for me to appreciate.

Shahkulu101
08-15-2014, 08:09 PM
I like Shaun, but he's a bit too much of a trope for me to appreciate.

There's nothing wrong with tropes if the character is like-able in my opinion. It's not forced or out of place having a character like Shaun, it's just amusing. A trope isn't part of a character, if you get me. Like...just because he is a trope as long as that doesn't have a negative effect (unlike Eugene from Infamous) then it shouldn't matter.

Just like if something has a generic concept but presents it in refreshing manner then it shouldn't matter either *cough* TLoU *Cough*

It's the stories within concepts, and characters based on tropes that matter - using a trope or already established concept doesn't make something worse by default. Not everything has to be original, to be different or considered good.

JustPlainQuirky
08-15-2014, 08:11 PM
Yeah Shaun is a good trope. Eugine as a trope was terrible.

I'm just not giving Shaun 100% of my love for lacking in original design.

But his presentation is good enough for me to welcome him as a loving member of the AC family

Sushiglutton
08-15-2014, 08:11 PM
Mary Read, she was just awesome :o

Shahkulu101
08-15-2014, 08:13 PM
Yeah Shaun is a good trope. Eugine as a trope was terrible.

I'm just not giving Shaun 100% of my love for lacking in original design.

But his presentation is good enough for me to welcome him as a loving member of the AC family

Do you think everything has to be totally original Mayrice? I'd hate that.

JustPlainQuirky
08-15-2014, 08:15 PM
No.

The Last of Us is an example of game filled to the booty with tropes.

But it works because of performace/presentation

we all know nothing is 100% original, but obvious overused tendancies still exist. And i feel people should work harder to find lesser used ones.

or do a damn good job in presenting things to make them feel new.

Wolfmeister1010
08-15-2014, 08:17 PM
AC1: The funny and sarcastic Bureau leader in Acre. Forgot his name.

AC2: Leonardo. As if there were any doubts.

ACB: Leonardo.

ACR:Hmm..I hated every single one of them..from Suleiman to Sofia. I guess Yusuf, although he wasn't very memorable.

AC3: I can't decide between Achilles and Putnam.

AC4: Mary.

Mary Read is by far my favorite side character of all the AC games.

Sushiglutton
08-15-2014, 08:18 PM
Tropes can be an effective story telling technique. If you have a short amount of time (which you typically do for many characters in games) it's a fast way to let the player get a feel for what the character is basically about.

Wolfmeister1010
08-15-2014, 08:24 PM
I also feel the need to clarify on TLOU because I think I appeared to be irrational. When I say it wasn't original, I am not just referring to the similarity to the Road. It also has quite a few other cliches, like the "female best friend dies to protect main character" cliche, also Tess fits the "semi-major character dies early on to show how emotional the game is" cliche. Or the "young female warrior who is good with a bow" cliche, or the fact that Joel literally sound and acts EXACTLY like Rick Grimes, or the "weird friendly stranger turns out to be antagonist" cliche, or the "secondary protagonist takes care of the main protagonist while he's sick" thing also borrowed from the Road.To be fair it also had a few very nice original characters, like Bill and Marlene, whom I loved.

***Edited to add spoiler tags - bitebug2003

JustPlainQuirky
08-15-2014, 08:25 PM
Oh god I hate the 'young beautiful woman who is good with a bow' trope

it's like have some other damn weapons christ. (its always a bow or staff)

but this is off-topic as heck now. whoops.

Shahkulu101
08-15-2014, 08:27 PM
I also feel the need to clarify on TLOU because I think I appeared to be irrational. When I say it wasn't original, I am not just referring to the similarity to the Road. It also has quite a few other cliches, like the "female best friend dies to protect main character" cliche, also Tess fits the "semi-major character dies early on to show how emotional the game is" cliche. Or the "young female warrior who is good with a bow" cliche, or the fact that Joel literally sound and acts EXACTLY like Rick Grimes, or the "weird friendly stranger turns out to be antagonist" cliche, or the "secondary protagonist takes care of the main protagonist while he's sick" thing also borrowed from the Road.To be fair it also had a few very nice original characters, like Bill and Marlene, whom I loved.Yeah, not the strongest or most original of narratives per se but I just loved how human the characters were and how subtle yet meaningful the script is. I mean. I've never been invested in anything like that in my life. I was so engrossed in Ellie and Joel's relationship. I guess it was because I wasn't expecting it, it was such a surprise to me just how much I loved the game.To get on topic: me loves me some Shaun. Best modern day character - everything he says is golden.

Wolfmeister1010
08-15-2014, 08:30 PM
I loved Tess and Joel's relationship. Its just that Joel and Elie's relationship, felt like I had already seen it before, because I had.

***Edited to add spoiler tags

Stick to the topic please - bitebug2003

Shahkulu101
08-15-2014, 08:37 PM
Go to 3rd party games discussion thread.

king-hailz
08-15-2014, 08:58 PM
AC1 - Malik
AC2 - Leonardo, Antonio, Rosa, Paula, Sister Theodora, La Volpe, Mario and many more!
ACB - Leonardo, Machiavelli.... can't remember more
ACR - Sofia, Suleiman, Yusuf Tazim
AC3 - I really didn't give a sh*t about any of them.... but achilles was my favorite.
AC4 - Blackbeard, Mary Read, Stede Bonnet, Vane...
ACU - Probably Elise.

SixKeys
08-15-2014, 09:32 PM
AC1: Malik, Stealth A-hole aka Damascus rafiq
AC2/ACB: Leonardo, Bartolomeo, Rosa
ACR: ehh....no-one really
AC3: Haytham, Achilles, Ziio
AC4: Mary Read

ajl992008
08-15-2014, 09:48 PM
AC1 : al mualim
AC2: leonardo
ACB: machiavelli
ACR: yusuf
AC3: haytham
AC4: blackbeard (this one was really hard because I LOVED the cast and story so much in ac4, it was a VERY close call)

poptartz20
08-15-2014, 11:12 PM
Umm... Everybody's favorite character ever is Haytham. gah. why is this even a discussion. lol.

AC1 - Malik
AC2 -Leonardo
ACB- Volpe and Machi.
ACR - Yusuf
AC3 - Haytham (and or Achilles if Haytham doesn't work)
AC4 - I actually liked everyone.. lol. The rag tag team that worked.

Jexx21
08-15-2014, 11:14 PM
I also feel the need to clarify on TLOU because I think I appeared to be irrational. When I say it wasn't original, I am not just referring to the similarity to the Road. It also has quite a few other cliches, like the "female best friend dies to protect main character" cliche, also Tess fits the "semi-major character dies early on to show how emotional the game is" cliche. Or the "young female warrior who is good with a bow" cliche, or the fact that Joel literally sound and acts EXACTLY like Rick Grimes, or the "weird friendly stranger turns out to be antagonist" cliche, or the "secondary protagonist takes care of the main protagonist while he's sick" thing also borrowed from the Road.To be fair it also had a few very nice original characters, like Bill and Marlene, whom I loved.

why did you just spoil TLoU

what
the
hell

bitebug2003
08-16-2014, 12:01 AM
It's never fun to inadvertently stumble on spoilers, and we'd appreciate that you use the spoiler tags if you intend to talk about specific content in games (ANY game) that may ruin it for others.

Thanks

JustPlainQuirky
08-16-2014, 12:03 AM
Man bitebug you're really good. :)

bitebug2003
08-16-2014, 12:13 AM
Man bitebug you're really good. :)

Thank you :)