PDA

View Full Version : Please let us turn off Objectives!

tyepo
08-15-2014, 01:06 AM
Having recently finished AC4, I am concerned that Unity will once again have large and obnoxious text across my screen that we cannot disable.
I enjoyed playing AC4 (much like the earlier games) with the HUD disabled. It was a huge disappointment to me that I could turn off everything but still had to endure a message in bold white text telling me where to go and what to do. I do not have the memory of a Goldfish. I can remember what it is I am doing. Even if lost, I can always enter the menu and use the Progress tracker....
Things get worse if you make the mistake of taking on a side-mission as well as the main mission. You end up with half a book worth of text running down the lefthand side of the screen.

Why ruin Unity for those of us who would prefer to explore Paris without this obtrusive nagging text?
Please Ubi, make the 'Disable HUD elements - All' toggle in the menu actually do what it says.

johnsmith145
08-16-2014, 12:20 AM
Ugh. Yes. Especially when the mission objective is something vague like "explore the jungle". Thank you Ubi! Now I know what to do, thanks to this text!

Dome500
08-16-2014, 12:50 AM
Yeah I hope too that we will be able to turn off most of the HUD.
A quest log would be cool for the side missions.

Jackdaw951
08-16-2014, 01:11 PM
Ha! Yes. It's even worse in Freedom Cry, where you can't walk two steps in town without slave activities stacking down the left side.

Sushiglutton
08-16-2014, 01:16 PM
+1 For this request!!!! Pleeeeeeeeeease!

MickyDaLips
08-16-2014, 01:40 PM
+!

dxsxhxcx
08-16-2014, 01:42 PM
Why ruin Unity for those of us who would prefer to explore Paris without this obtrusive nagging text?

Because you're part of a vocal minority... :D

ps: I agree with you. :)

jdowny
08-16-2014, 03:42 PM
I don't know what happened to the idea of toggling this sort of information - it doesn't seem to be around any more. You might press a button and your mission objective/map/HUD elements pop up for as long as you hold the button down. Now we have them floating in the centre of the screen, as though developers are afraid we'll forget what we came there to do.

I play with the HUD off and it's so much better for me. But even this wasn't enough for games like Black Flag, which still had the mission objective on the screen.

tyepo
08-17-2014, 09:25 AM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/faranheit/AC4_HUD_zps42b392f9.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/faranheit/media/AC4_HUD_zps42b392f9.jpg.html)

Serenity ruined.

Hans684
08-17-2014, 09:42 AM
I agree if we also get a theatre and photo mode.

Fatal-Feit
08-17-2014, 11:03 AM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/faranheit/AC4_HUD_zps42b392f9.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/faranheit/media/AC4_HUD_zps42b392f9.jpg.html)

Serenity ruined.

^ This. LOL

Sushiglutton
08-17-2014, 01:34 PM
Great post tyepo :)!

And to think they actually were able to make this even more annoying in Freedom Cry by showing objectives in between missions *shakes head*...

TheIronLotus420
08-17-2014, 05:11 PM
I don't know what happened to the idea of toggling this sort of information - it doesn't seem to be around any more. You might press a button and your mission objective/map/HUD elements pop up for as long as you hold the button down. Now we have them floating in the centre of the screen, as though developers are afraid we'll forget what we came there to do.

I play with the HUD off and it's so much better for me. But even this wasn't enough for games like Black Flag, which still had the mission objective on the screen.

Imagine if you could turn off all HUD elements (or maybe even specify a set of elements to your taste) real-time in-game by pressing down both sticks simultaneously! I think you're on to something here. I've always been of the mindset of keeping all HUD elements on at all times, but maybe just exploring I would turn them all off/on if it were that easy!

MickyDaLips
08-17-2014, 05:40 PM

This would 100% be my ideal. I'd love to be able to play with all hud options off, including map, yet be able to bring a hud overlay briefly showing relevant information.

Didn't Dead Space have something like this? When you clicked in one of the sticks a little route planner came up showing you the path?

SlyTrooper
08-17-2014, 06:42 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't care about HUD? I get too immersed in the world to notice it.

LieutenantRex
08-17-2014, 06:47 PM
Yeah man, totally radical idea dude. Objectives remind us of our task in an OPEN-WORLD game. Ridiculous, I mean, AC is OPEN-WORLD, we shouldn't have constraints!

Hans684
08-17-2014, 06:51 PM
Yeah man, totally radical idea dude. Objectives remind us of our task in an OPEN-WORLD game. Ridiculous, I mean, AC is OPEN-WORLD, we shouldn't have constraints!

Looks like someone forgot about the Animus.

Fatal-Feit
08-17-2014, 06:56 PM
Imagine if you could turn off all HUD elements (or maybe even specify a set of elements to your taste) real-time in-game by pressing down both sticks simultaneously! I think you're on to something here. I've always been of the mindset of keeping all HUD elements on at all times, but maybe just exploring I would turn them all off/on if it were that easy!

Dark Souls 2 had something like that where the HUD will go away if you stand still for a few seconds. I absolutely loved that. Took like 400-500 screenshots on my first playthrough.

TheIronLotus420
08-17-2014, 08:35 PM

I'm pretty sure you are being serious here, and your point is valid. I just wanted to point out that it would be equally valid if read in a sarcastic tone. (Since it is a big open world, it would be helpful to have reminders).

Sabuto78
08-17-2014, 10:11 PM
you can take it off in options mode under "hud"

Fatal-Feit
08-17-2014, 10:22 PM
^^^ No you can't.

Shahkulu101
08-17-2014, 10:26 PM
It's been said before, but no HUD should mean no HUD. Why would we turn it off in the first place?

GoldenBoy9999
08-18-2014, 01:11 AM
I've never turned off any element of HUD in a game but all this talk of it makes me want to. I usually focus on the world and not the HUD so it hasn't been too harmful to me but I'd like the option to remove it all.

tyepo
08-18-2014, 02:09 AM

No-one is asking for the objectives to be removed from the game. You are mistaken if you think that is what anyone is asking for.
Its not unreasonable to have the objectives auto-hide after an appropriate period. Besides, nothing stops the player from accessing the progress tracker (other than their own ignorance/stupidity).