PDA

View Full Version : POLL modern day story AC

EmbodyingSeven5
08-10-2014, 04:02 PM
how many people who like me would love an AC taking place in the modern day against abstergo industries. I know ubisoft has said they would avoid a modern day setting, but it would give a ton of a development in the modern day story. what do u guys think yay or nay?

JustPlainQuirky
08-10-2014, 04:06 PM
I want a modern day game with a twist to make it more interesting.

like fbi-esque templars after you all the time. and you can crash into buildings while in the air for "maximum seamlessness"

oh and a PoE that grants awesome-er agility so buildings dont have to be super close to each other :p

#imbasicallydescribingprototype,lol

Aphex_Tim
08-10-2014, 04:07 PM
Yay for a spinoff. The main games should really focus on history since that just makes the games.
But seeing a full game take place during modern time would be interesting as well.

Which also reminds me, it could cross over to other Ubi games. It kinda does already through easter eggs. Most notably one in Watch Dogs; where you had to chase Olivier Garneau, the CEO of Abstergo Entertainment in Montreal, who was reported missing in AC4 during a business trip to Chicago.

m4r-k7
08-10-2014, 04:08 PM
I wouldn't mind if the final AC game was half historical and half modern day. But apart from that I would rather the game stay pure historical.

marvelfannumber
08-10-2014, 04:08 PM
Nah, if they made one I wouldn't buy it.

If I want to play a modern day action game i'll just pick up GTA or something. An AC purely in Modern Day sounds really boring and uncreative imo.

SpiritOfNevaeh
08-10-2014, 04:09 PM
I really don't want the modern day anymore unless it is VERYYYYY interesting.

Besides, the Ubi devs said themselves that a modern day AC game would be very complicated given some restrictions and such.

Shahkulu101
08-10-2014, 04:14 PM
Nah, AC is successful because it's the only historical open world game.

The lore isn't interesting enough for it to be set in a modern game with no history. I mean who really gives a toss about Abstergo or the entire modern day for that matter? A very small minority, is the answer.

So no because:

- The mechanics wouldn't work

- Nobody cares about the modern day plot

- AC started out a mix of two separate concepts but is now a historical game dealing with the burden of modern day

EmbodyingSeven5
08-10-2014, 04:14 PM
I meant for a one time spinoff. no way would I want the series to became pure modern day

marvelfannumber
08-10-2014, 04:15 PM
- Nobody cares about the modern day plot anymore

Fixed :rolleyes:

Agree with everything else you said though.

I meant for a one time spinoff. no way would I want the series to became pure modern day

Nah, i'd rather have them focus on improving the series as is, than making spin-offs which would waste more resources, time etc.

Aphex_Tim
08-10-2014, 04:15 PM
- Nobody cares about the modern day plot

Hello. I'm Nobody. Pleased to meet you!

m4r-k7
08-10-2014, 04:18 PM
I wouldn't care if they took out modern day completely although they need it for the game to exist lol

EmbodyingSeven5
08-10-2014, 04:19 PM

hello im nobody's brother Mr. nonperson, go modern day!!

Shahkulu101
08-10-2014, 04:20 PM

As in nobody I mean a very small minority. Although that was a good one I must admit. :rolleyes:

Landruner
08-10-2014, 04:24 PM
If I had to reboot the AC franchise and still use the modern days with the animus story for a reboot, I would relocate "modern days" in the past in 1933 West Germany with Nazis and Animus as an experimentation for them with the Thule, Templar and some other obscure secret society, or still relocate the "modern days" in a distant future in order to let the player to still appreciate those "modern days" parts and that they feel always in position of discovery and surprise while while playing those (out of the Matrix) transitions.

EmbodyingSeven5
08-10-2014, 04:26 PM
remember guys the game doesn't have to take place in a modern day America. ubisoft could dig up a city like the modern version of ezios villa from AC brotherhood. just include some modern day aspects like drivable cars. and a great story. also stealth would have to be amped up to stop the game from becoming a shooter. doesn't sound like a waste of developing mechanics to me.

marvelfannumber
08-10-2014, 04:31 PM
remember guys the game doesn't have to take place in a modern day America. ubisoft could dig up a city like the modern version of ezios villa from AC brotherhood. just include some modern day aspects like drivable cars. and a great story. also stealth would have to be amped up to stop the game from becoming a shooter. doesn't sound like a waste of developing mechanics to me.

That would just turn into GTA: Italy edition honestly. Also why would you think driving cars in Italy is a good idea for a game? Have you ever been there irl, it's a MADHOUSE! (no racism intended)

Landruner
08-10-2014, 04:34 PM
I really don't want the modern day anymore unless it is VERYYYYY interesting.

Besides, the Ubi devs said themselves that a modern day AC game would be very complicated given some restrictions and such.

Mostly because they were thinking about "Watchdogs" that is all - which was an idea for a new ability for Desmond in AC3 tossed by some poor uncredited "stagiaire" during a board meeting in 2010....

Xstantin
08-10-2014, 04:37 PM
After Watch_Dogs, please please keep the cars out of AC. I got better at driving eventually, but god no.

Stealth Gamer92
08-10-2014, 04:39 PM
wI don't care really. I enjoy history but it has the potential to have a good modern day or near future story imo.

Shahkulu101
08-10-2014, 04:39 PM
You just can't have a modern open world game without having it be a GTA clone in some capacity - which wouldn't fit with being an Assassin. If it isn't a GTA clone people will ask 'why can't I mow down civilians or steals cars?' and won't bother to consider, or care that this stuff would be out of place for an Assassin. Heck, actual game journalists were critical of the fact Watch Dogs had a reputation system that dropped when you killed civilians, claiming that they shouldn't be punished for playing an open world game 'like an open world game'. In fact, this level of expectation when it comes to sandbox games probably stifled the innovation of Watch Dogs a bit. They already have their GTA clone in the form of W_D and can't create another with a modern AC, and If it's a sandbox game in a modern city but not a GTA clone, people will not buy it.

Long story short, people see sandbox city; they want to wreak havoc by killing innocents, blowing everything up. Which would not be fitting of an Assassin's Creed game at all, meaning they would have to create a modern sandbox game that differed from the norm, and as a result would fail.

EmbodyingSeven5
08-10-2014, 04:40 PM
That would just turn into GTA: Italy edition honestly. Also why would you think driving cars in Italy is a good idea for a game? Have you ever been there irl, it's a MADHOUSE! (no racism intended)

just because a game takes place in a open world modern day setting doesn't mean its gonna be gta. assassins creed has parkour and a GOOD stealth system hence the tern "amping up STEALTH mechanics!" also I was giving an example that not all cities today would be awkward for an assassin. I wasn't trying to say we should have another game in Italy.

so lets just agree to disagree

AherasSTRG
08-10-2014, 06:09 PM
AC in a modern setting? Oh, there is one, it's called Watch Dogs. Buy it, pretend it's called Assassin's Creed and there you have it.

killzab
08-10-2014, 06:12 PM
AC in a modern setting? Oh, there is one, it's called Watch Dogs. Buy it, pretend it's called Assassin's Creed and there you have it.

Wish they had released an AC DLC pack offering an Assassin costume with a hidden blade. It would've satisfied my need for a modern AC

GreySkellig
08-10-2014, 10:23 PM
I have exactly zero interest in a Modern Day AC game. Returning some vitality to the modern segments? Sure, if only to feel like there's still some sort of moving story arc. But I have always, and always will, play the AC games for the historical settings. Even if a modern entry avoided the pitfalls already discussed, I simply wouldn't be interested in Assassin's Creed if it wasn't historical.

Assassin_M
08-10-2014, 10:28 PM
I'm nobody number 2

Sesheenku
08-10-2014, 10:37 PM
I don't care for it but if they do it for the fans that do care I don't mind.

Although that goes under the condition that they continue making the traditional AC game.

ShaneO7K
08-11-2014, 12:28 AM
I'm nobody number 2

Nobody No.3, Chiming in!

The modern day storyline is one of my favourite parts of the series, so much interesting stuff going on especially with the addition of Initiates. While I wouldn't want an entire game dedicated to it, I would love if it got the same kind of attention in the new games as it did during the Desmond Saga (which even then wasn't a lot).

P.S. Haven't posted on here for a year or more. This forum has changed a lot.

Jexx21
08-11-2014, 12:31 AM
Make it about the beginnings of Abstergo in the 1930s and you get to drive around cities in a car and stuff.

Make it GTA: Abstergo except you don't steal cars, you buy them from the owners.

Sesheenku
08-11-2014, 07:38 AM
Make it about the beginnings of Abstergo in the 1930s and you get to drive around cities in a car and stuff.

Make it GTA: Abstergo except you don't steal cars, you buy them from the owners.

***** please. Templars don't pay for things, they own everything ;P

LoyalACFan
08-11-2014, 08:12 AM
Nope. I don't even want anything set past 1900 TBH. Keep cars, skyscrapers and machine guns way the hell away from my AC :p But seriously, I play these games exclusively for the historical part. I have zero interest in the modern plot right now, because it seems to me like it's just aimlessly flailing at ways to stay relevant. If Unity has a great MD component I might get re-interested, but I'm kinda doubting it.

RinoTheBouncer
08-11-2014, 11:32 AM
I voted YES. The modern day segment as well as the First Civ. story are my most favorite parts of AC. I know I’m in the minority and I know that AC is known for it’s historical tourism but I believe since it’s called Assassin’s Creed, then it could technically go to any time period and I don’t think one modern day game or one game that spends most of the time in modern times will be such a bad idea after all. I believe it would be a fresh new change and a chance to give those who do like the modern day missions a better taste than they ever did before and even set things right with the plot they messed up.

I’d welcome that, warmly. The story will justify the idea of choosing a modern day setting. Anything around WWI or WWII or the origins of Abstergo would be totally epic to me and I’d even be so happy about a modern day game that takes place around 2015. I wanna see some Assassin activity in our present time just like the AC:Brahman book showed.

ze_topazio
08-11-2014, 03:55 PM
I keep telling I want an AC on the Titanic but nobody listens to me.

Imagine, several European Templar leaders are moving to the US, an Assassin infiltrates the Titanic, throughout the trip he needs to eliminate them all, one by one, without alerting the others (for security reasons, they would be spread among the several classes and even among the workers and have very limited contact with each other) or anyone for that matter, the game would have a lot of focus on social stealth and normal stealth since you would have to pass as a normal passenger, the bodies would have to be disposed of course, either by hiding or by throwing them to the sea but only at night of course or else people could see the body falling,, of course at some point the iceberg cursed by Shay years earlier would strike and that would put us in a race against time to guarantee no Templar escapes and secure the piece of eden they were transporting, in the end the Assassin hides the piece of eden somewhere in the ship, meanwhile in the modern world, after discovering the location of the piece, we go on a diving mission to the wreck of the Titanic to recover the piece of eden, imagine AC4 diving missions but with oxygen.

Hans684
08-11-2014, 04:12 PM

Imagine, several European Templar leaders are moving to the US, an Assassin infiltrates the Titanic, throughout the trip he needs to eliminate them all, one by one, without alerting the others (for security reasons, they would be spread among the several classes and even among the workers and have very limited contact with each other) or anyone for that matter, the game would have a lot of focus on social stealth and normal stealth since you would have to pass as a normal passenger, the bodies would have to be disposed of course, either by hiding or by throwing them to the sea but only at night of course or else people could see the body falling,, of course at some point the iceberg cursed by Shay years earlier would strike and that would put us in a race against time to guarantee no Templar escapes and secure the piece of eden they were transporting, in the end the Assassin hides the piece of eden somewhere in the ship, meanwhile in the modern world, after discovering the location of the piece, we go on a diving mission to the wreck of the Titanic to recover the piece of eden, imagine AC4 diving missions but with oxygen.

Could work.

ShaneO7K
08-11-2014, 04:14 PM

Couldn't imagine that as a full AC game, maybe as a couple of missions though.

ze_topazio
08-11-2014, 04:18 PM
I forgot to say but before killing them you would have to investigate to discover who they are and where they are, the order you kill most of them would be up to you to decide, the exception would be a few more important ones reserved for final bosses.

A side game maybe, since I would want a fully explorable reproduction of the Titanic.