PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed Recent Marketing Style

crusader_prophet
08-10-2014, 11:40 AM
UbiSoft I am a devoted AC person, but...could you please not start to make it sound like a cash cow? For example, the "typical man's voice" saying the name of the game to be released and pre-order bonuses right at the end of trailer for new upcoming games. You build a fantastic climax with the trailers for AC unity and rogue...and then what happens? "Assassin's Creed Unity..Make History...Pre-Order Now...blah blah blah." and there goes away the magic. it sounds so cheap! so please do not ruin your own work that you put into the trailers by making it sound like a walmart product. close the trailers with a respectable ending with just the name of the game with a silence or after-effects of the theme music while displaying platforms and release date information...that will be much more respectable and leave a lasting effect of the trailers on viewers. Please please do not become a typical cash cow fan manipulating company
thank you!

ze_topazio
08-10-2014, 12:30 PM
Yeah, it's really annoying watching a great trailer only to suddenly "pre-order now for meaningless dlc and other useless offers, please, give us your money".

That and the game covers ruined by "special exclusive dlc missions" and other propaganda.

marvelfannumber
08-10-2014, 12:37 PM
Yeah I hate that too, Brotherhoods teaser was probably the worst because it was super EPIC and then the climax was ruined by the annoying GameStop announcer guy saying "Pre order now to get this meaningless multiplayer character blah blah blah"

It's really quite pointless and annoying so I just try to pause the video before it happens each and every time, so I can pretend it doesn't exist.

I never pre-order anyways, because it's always a risky move.

AherasSTRG
08-10-2014, 01:16 PM
Well, I like it tbh... After the cinematic reveal trailer, I look forward to see the available pre-order DLCs, to imagine what the game will be like... The fact that Rogue advertised a Sword+Dagger set as a pre-order DLC at the end, made me realise Shay's primary offensive weapons.

They do ruin some of the feeling of course, but not by much.

Dome500
08-10-2014, 03:22 PM
Wouldn't be so bad if the pre-order thing wouldn't be narrated IMO.

crusader_prophet
08-11-2014, 01:00 AM
I have no problems them displaying DLC and pre-order information, only the idiotic voice makes it sound cheap. of course businesses will have to display those information about games. and you know what they could do that in alternative trailers like gameplay mechanics trailer and the 20 other trailers they come out with after the initial reveal.

crusader_prophet
08-11-2014, 01:01 AM
Agreed, my point exactly

LoyalACFan
08-11-2014, 01:03 AM
This is pretty much standard industry practice, though. Nearly every AAA trailer that comes out these days has preorder bonus crap listed at the end, it isn't just AC.

But yeah, as zetopazio said above me, I HATE when the box art is ruined by some uglyass "derp excloosiv kontint herp" ad right on the front. Thank God Ground Zeroes had the reversible Shinkawa cover.

Megas_Doux
08-11-2014, 01:06 AM
This is pretty much standard industry practice, though. Nearly every AAA trailer that comes out these days has preorder bonus crap listed at the end, it isn't just AC.

But yeah, as zetopazio said above me, I HATE when the box art is ruined by some uglyass "derp excloosiv kontint herp" ad right on the front. Thank God Ground Zeroes had the reversible Shinkawa cover.

I spent more time reversing the cover than playing....

Sad fact.

LoyalACFan
08-11-2014, 01:09 AM
I spent more time reversing the cover than playing....

Sad fact.

I've sunk about 20 hours into GZ in fact, but I'm a bit of a MGS nut, so.

Megas_Doux
08-11-2014, 01:13 AM
I've sunk about 20 hours into GZ in fact, but I'm a bit of a MGS nut, so.

I was able to complete the mission and the side objectives without rushing in 75 minutes...... There are playthroughs of 15 minutes :(

Landruner
08-11-2014, 01:15 AM
I think they went a way a bit too much with ACU this time - The all marketing campaign was a bit over the top....and I agree with the people above the all beautiful trailler had been ruined with the pre-order thing at the end.

That reminds me somewhat a bit those ridicule infomercial in the USA with people forcing you to call right away and repeating you the phone number to call like you are going to miss your chance for a better deal, and you pertinently know that the same infomercial with the same deal will be back the next day or days....:confused:

EmbodyingSeven5
08-11-2014, 01:16 AM
I hate how at each e3 they call each new assassin deadlier than any before him. kind of makes the other assassins sound less important. which stinks. so don't do thaaaaaaaaaaaat!

Jexx21
08-11-2014, 01:20 AM
I think they went a way a bit too much with ACU this time - The all marketing campaign was a bit over the top....

I actually thought it was fairly toned down compared to the past two so far.

Landruner
08-11-2014, 01:21 AM
I hate how at each e3 they call each new assassin deadlier than any before him. kind of makes the other assassins sound less important. which stinks. so don't do thaaaaaaaaaaaat!

Yes you are right, they take some "peepee" on the previous game and its hero each time they come with the next one - good point!!

Megas_Doux
08-11-2014, 01:23 AM
I think they went a way a bit too much with ACU this time - The all marketing campaign was a bit over the top....and I agree with the people above the all beautiful trailler had been ruined with the pre-order thing at the end.
:

AC III´s campaign was way bigger than this! TV adds during football games, MLB games,and other prime time events! Besides that It began months earlier.

LoyalACFan
08-11-2014, 01:28 AM
AC III´s campaign was way bigger than this! TV adds during football games, MLB games,and other prime time events! Besides that It began months earlier.

Yeah, really. Unity's marketing campaign has honestly been the quietest one I can remember, besides Rogue. It was also officially announced far later than any of its predecessors.

Landruner
08-11-2014, 01:30 AM
I actually thought it was fairly toned down compared to the past two so far.

Well I can't say that you are wrong, however they really play with the media card this time and try to "over" link tiny piece of news to the press, which makes media to keep their readers informed with a new update on the game almost everyday, and they are going to come soon with the Youtube game-play footages like they did for AC4, but I was referring in my previous post to that all AC challenge "Tests Parkour Skills" at SDCC for marketing the game which was a way too much.

Landruner
08-11-2014, 01:37 AM

I believe you, but I had more problem to escape the ads for Black flag last year than I remember doing for AC3 - Like I wrote to someone earlier they changed their strategy a play the media card (video gaming and no video gaming press) in releasing on a quotidian basis tiny updates and when I try to take info for another game in the press or something else I have to read some ACU because an ACU update pops next to the article I want to read.

crusader_prophet
08-11-2014, 03:08 AM
Again I do not mind UbiSoft marketing the heck out of upcoming games, and neither displaying DLC and pre-order bonuses, just don't do it in a way that sounds cheap. like my original post mentioned, in the cinematic trailers for Unity and Rogue, I would have preferred to not have that idiotic standard business man voice at the end. Just showing the information would have not downgraded the very well crafted trailer along with the song. Also I agree that they should try not to say that this assassin is deadlier than one before, Altair is my all time favorite. Instead they should try to talk about the uniqueness of the current assassin and what is different than his predecessors and not necessarily better than them.

crusader_prophet
08-11-2014, 03:11 AM
And I really hope someone from UbiSoft takes a note of this post and implement our request as respect to fans in the near future.

rprkjj
08-11-2014, 04:33 AM

The minute I read this, I picked up my copy and reversed the cover. That's some sexy art.

Acrimonious_Nin
08-11-2014, 04:45 AM
MGSV:TPP for sure !!! I can't wait to see how that story plays out...

poptartz20
08-11-2014, 08:02 AM
ehh.. .I don't know, I feel ACR with the whole #leaveyourlegacy thing was a bit much too.. I remember Tobuscus not only did a literal trailer, he also did a literal Gamestop commecial for the game's "signature edition" , and then not to mention the commercial with all the athletes pulling hoods over their heads. Also there was an animated commercial that was about a minute long. I saw these sooo many times.

Sesheenku
08-11-2014, 08:14 AM
Funny how business has a way to corrupt everything good (rewarding customers for having faith in your company AFTER having earned their faith) and turn it into a filthy, disgusting, abhorrent practice that slowly rots at the soul of every product they make.

I don't remember them being left poor when they just made full complete games and sold them full price. No though, every penny must be taken, every wallet bled dry, every player bent over and milked as hard as possible.

No we cannot die, only when your carcass is dry, only when your mind is weary and your body is broken will I allow you to finally die.

Then the parasite finds another host.

Seriously though could we stop being *******s game industry? That'd be fantastic.

Fatal-Feit
08-11-2014, 08:31 AM
I used to be a $200-300 customer. These days I'm a $300-400 one. Damn it, Ubisoft, I love you, but I also need to re-evaluate what I'm spending on you. Looking back at AC:IV and still thinking about all the ULC content I don't own despite spending $300+ on products and for other consoles. Unity seems to be much, much worse this time. Not even your representatives I spoke to could keep up with your DLC/ULCs BS. I pre-ordered both the Gold Edition and the Collector's Edition but I might as well cancel one of them since it's not like I'm getting the full package despite spending $230 already... No, make that about $400 if we're including the Arno and Elise statues that gives ULCs.

RinoTheBouncer
08-11-2014, 11:21 AM
I was gonna talk about that as well. Thanks for bringing it up. I found it really weird. I miss how theatrical Revelations trailer was, for example. There’s no need in those typical advertisement voiceovers. They could just show a text with some in game sounds as the options/versions appear like a slash of a sword or they just appear.

I used to be a $200-300 customer. These days I'm a $300-400 one. Damn it, Ubisoft, I love you, but I also need to re-evaluate what I'm spending on you. Looking back at AC:IV and still thinking about all the ULC content I don't own despite spending $300+ on products and for other consoles. Unity seems to be much, much worse this time. Not even your representatives I spoke to could keep up with your DLC/ULCs BS. I pre-ordered both the Gold Edition and the Collector's Edition but I might as well cancel one of them since it's not like I'm getting the full package despite spending $230 already... No, make that about $400 if we're including the Arno and Elise statues that gives ULCs.

I agree with you, completely. I’m a 300-400$ customer too, especially that I do not live in the US nor Europe and I always end up buying the Collector’s Editions on eBay for a much higher price in addition to the DLC and ULC later. Some times I end up buying the digital version as well cause I can get it immediately since the shipping takes long, not to mention another 2-3 days for clearance at the customs here. Anyway, maybe the shipping isn’t Ubisoft’s problem nor the delays or costs that are related to it but I do buy a lot of AC merchandise and collector editions and it’s sad that they seem to focus more on quantity than quality, these days and it’s not just Ubisoft.

I won’t be surprised if the years to come will witness us having to pay for each new level/sequence we play.

crusader_prophet
08-11-2014, 11:37 AM
Oh god let's hope you are wrong lol...games is my life and i do not have that kind of money lol

UBISOFT!!!!!!!!!!! ARE YOU HEARING US!

RinoTheBouncer
08-11-2014, 11:46 AM
Oh god let's hope you are wrong lol...games is my life and i do not have that kind of money lol

UBISOFT!!!!!!!!!!! ARE YOU HEARING US!

Gaming is my life as well, my friend. Lets hope it won’t happen but I kinda feel that it will. Maybe make all games downloadable and you pay-per-level. I’d hate but they could give a season pass like T.V. series on the iTunes store. I wish gaming will remain on discs and downloads. I’d hate any further change or division of such formats.

ze_topazio
08-11-2014, 04:01 PM

Mine's full white. :(

Xstantin
08-11-2014, 04:38 PM
Mine's full white. :(

Weird. Maybe it's a region thing.