PDA

View Full Version : GI: The New Gameplay Of Assassin's Creed Unity

Pages : [1] 2

Sushiglutton
08-08-2014, 08:23 PM
Saw a new update is up on GI. Will add more when I have seen it:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/08/08/the-new-gameplay-of-assassins-creed-unity.aspx

Edit: Ok now I've seen it. I'm super, super happy about what was said :D!!! It's a lot of the things we have discussed in the forums, it's cool to see we weren't that far off :). So to break it down:

Parkour sounds way more precise and less frustrating while remaining intuitive. Not having to run 90 degrees towards a wall to start climbing is an absolutely massive improvement now that I think about it (love when they come uo with things I never knew I wanted!). Having three different modes (RT, RT+A, RT+B) sounds fantastic on paper imo. Again just much better precision and more fun as you can make choices in flow while running.

Stealth mode is again awesome! Think Alex describes the frustrating moments that came from stealth being done in, basically, parkour mode perfectly. It really sounds like they are designing the missions in the kind of open fashion that is essential for good stealth imo. Namely so you get to survey your surrounding and plan the attack/infiltration.

Combat I still don't quite get tbh. Sometimes it sounds like they kind of want to eliminate it from the equation. Like they want the natural reaction to triggering combat to be throwing a smoke bomb and then flee to the rooftops and start steath over. But then again they say you will still be able to play the way you want. I'm not really sure how that will work out and balance.

I also don't understand what the complexity in the system comes from. They use the rock-paper-scissor analogy a lot. Well that means that if an enemy does A you do B, if he does B, you do C and if he does C you do A. I mean it's not a very complex game. I guess we won't know for sure until release.

Anyway, it sounds to me like the game is heading in the best possible direction! Two thumbs up from me :D!

JustPlainQuirky
08-08-2014, 08:28 PM
Lol been so hyped for Rogue I keep forgetting about Unity.

Not very interested in Unity anymore in terms of gameplay.

Let me know if there's something really awesome revealed.

edit:

about to watch the video in a second

pacmanate
08-08-2014, 08:28 PM
God damn that video was awesome. Love seeing prototype things!

lothario-da-be
08-08-2014, 08:30 PM
God damn that video was awesome. Love seeing prototype things!
Not sure if saracasm, derp Connor makes it even harder to detect sarcasm.

pacmanate
08-08-2014, 08:33 PM
Not sure if saracasm, derp Connor makes it even harder to detect sarcasm.

Not sarcasm :p I like how he acknowledges that the investigations since AC1 were "lost" and not done right. He's critising all the past games, something that takes quiet a bit of balls to do.

ALSO

AMM Blackboxes - They just say to go to an area, kill the target, but the area is big so you have to do EVERYTHING yourself.

"Make combat harder. AC is a stealth game, not a combat game. Combat should be a failstate"

So excite

xxtonypunk96xx
08-08-2014, 08:37 PM
Honestly I think this game might be better or at least up to par with AC2. The fact they continue to empathize they've redone the three pillars of the franchise in each interview really makes me feel Unity won't flop like AC3 did. Although I think they did the same with AC3 I don't remember but we'll just have to wait and see.

lothario-da-be
08-08-2014, 08:38 PM
Not sarcasm :p I like how he acknowledges that the investigations since AC1 were "lost" and not done right. He's critising all the past games, something that takes quiet a bit of balls to do.

ALSO

AMM Blackboxes - They just say to go to an area, kill the target, but the area is big so you have to do EVERYTHING yourself.
This, I realy like their vision on the game. They seem to get what they have been doing wrong and what AC was supposed to be in 2007.

marvelfannumber
08-08-2014, 08:38 PM
Loving everything I am hearing and seeing here, I can't really think of anything bad to say other than, how come there ain't no Classic Arno in the prototype footage? Was it all a lie?

JustPlainQuirky
08-08-2014, 08:40 PM
Oh I like the "last known position" silhoutte thing.

Arno is sanctioned by the assassins. hm. what does that mean? I dont even engrish.

ALSO:

"AC is not a combat game. It is a stealth game"

lol wat? since when? :rolleyes:

"buy better weapon and gear"

so there IS a definite better weapons and gear? Hmm....

pacmanate
08-08-2014, 08:42 PM
Jesus, those enemies in the prototype are VICIOUS. 2 attack then 1 attacks literally straight after, then 2 again. So glad counters out. Everything I am hearing and seeing here is GOLD. Story can suck, I dont even care now.

rprkjj
08-08-2014, 08:57 PM

Arno is sanctioned by the assassins. hm. what does that mean? I dont even engrish.

ALSO:

Just because there is a combat system doesn't mean it's a game about combat. First and foremost you sneak, hence it is a stealth game. Sanctioned basically means allowed, or supported by the Assassins.

Edit: Unless you were being sarcastic.

Sushiglutton
08-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Jesus, those enemies in the prototype are VICIOUS. 2 attack then 1 attacks literally straight after, then 2 again. So glad counters out. Everything I am hearing and seeing here is GOLD. Story can suck, I dont even care now.

Yeah the guards look real aggressive (like at 6:28). At 7:16 Arno is kneeing a guard and is still gettting hit by another while in that animation. The third guard at 7:36 pulls out a gun and quickly shoots Arno lol.

Namikaze_17
08-08-2014, 09:05 PM
It won't play for me......can someone send me a link?
:(

pacmanate
08-08-2014, 09:06 PM
Yeah the guards look real aggressive (like at 6:28). At 7:16 Arno is kneeing a guard and is still gettting hit by another while in that animation. The third guard at 7:36 pulls out a gun and quickly shoots Arno lol.

I really am glad that counter is gone. Also the fact you can't parry both at once is also cool!

My face when watching, was like my avatar. Very excited for the open missions and new parkour. All I want now is some demos of arno parkouring

Namikaze_17
08-08-2014, 09:08 PM
@Pac.

Loving the Avatar.......;)

lonewarrior30
08-08-2014, 09:08 PM
Also note at 6:58 when he parries he gets 2 creed points.So these are essentially the skill points I assume?

EDIT: 9:44 ''There is a Skill Point collectible nearby collect them to gain additional skill points''

Sushiglutton
08-08-2014, 09:09 PM
It won't play for me......can someone send me a link?
:(

Not sure what link you mean? I suppose it will show up on their youtube channel in a while: https://www.youtube.com/user/gameinformer/videos

Also note at 6:58 when he parries he gets 2 creed points.So these are essentially the skill points I assume?

Well spotted! That is interesting. I suppose there will be a ton of little gameplay challenges that rewards you with "XP" that you can use to unlock new moves and presumably new challenges for those. So you learn the game as you level up. Love that as it will mean they can take some of the tutorial stuff out of the main campaign.

SHADOWGARVIN
08-08-2014, 09:16 PM
Everything sounds great so far. Is anyone going to gamescom to play the game?

Megas_Doux
08-08-2014, 09:18 PM
Cool info!

killzab
08-08-2014, 09:18 PM
I can't understand a word of what one of the guys is saying

ACfan443
08-08-2014, 09:20 PM
This video somewhat persuaded me that their claims about combat will hold true, those guards were pretty aggressive. But at the same time they still stand around quite a bit which is frustrating, though if this level of aggressiveness is maintained I'll be happy.

lothario-da-be
08-08-2014, 09:20 PM
First I was excited, then I thougth about ac3. Man, that game will haunt me forever I will never be able to get hyped again for an ac game :(
The thought "what if the game sucks" keeps coming back.

marvelfannumber
08-08-2014, 09:23 PM
First I was excited, then I thougth about ac3. Man, that game will haunt me forever I will never be able to get hyped again for an ac game :(

I love the irony with your signature right there :rolleyes:

You're right though, I usually never get hyped for anything, mostly I just get intrigued (like with Unity).

pacmanate
08-08-2014, 09:25 PM

But it wont suck, or at least, every mechanic that they are saying is in here, will be in. Think about it, first time they showed the game was in June. Everything from then until September, 3 months, will be bug testing now. No adding, no taking away.

If you are wondering why September, normally games go Gold a month before release.

LoyalACFan
08-08-2014, 09:27 PM
I also don't understand what the complexity in the system comes from. They use the rock-paper-scissor analogy a lot. Well that means that if an enemy does A you do B, if he does B, you do C and if he does C you do A. I mean it's not a very complex game. I guess we won't know for sure until release.

If I had to guess I'd say it has to do with the speed with which you need to respond. I'm going to compare it with Arkham here, which isn't entirely appropriate as those games are meant to be a total power fantasy in which you can easily win every fight, but I think the overriding philosophy is similar. Arkham gets praised for its combat, but really, there are only two defensive moves in the game. If the guy has a blue icon over his head you counter, if the guy has a red icon over his head you dodge. Put it that way and it sounds stupidly easy, but when you have ten other enemies surrounding you it's a lot harder than it sounds. I think their "rock-paper-scissors" analogy is coming from a similar place. If you're about to get hit with a standard attack you can parry, for heavy attacks you roll away, and during moments of inactivity you can attack. Sounds simple until you try doing it with five guards attacking you.

I think I'll be satisfied with the difficulty. My only concern is that it doesn't look that great aesthetically. I saw a lot of repeat animations and some ugly weapon blur. I'm not that worried though, considering we were seeing mostly alpha stuff and it looks way better in the E3 demo.

lothario-da-be
08-08-2014, 09:28 PM

You're right though, I usually never get hyped for anything, mostly I just get intrigued (like with Unity).
I don't see what Connor has to do with ac3 as a game.

Xstantin
Unity is shaping up nicely :) Stealth mechanics make me happy

marvelfannumber
But it wont suck, or at least, every mechanic that they are saying is in here, will be in. Think about it, first time they showed the game was in June. Everything from then until September, 3 months, will be bug testing now. No adding, no taking away.

If you are wondering why September, normally games go Gold a month before release.
(I'll just leave this here)

http://i.imgur.com/M59sXG9.jpg

I don't see what Connor has to do with ac3 as a game.

I was just joking.

lothario-da-be
08-08-2014, 09:30 PM

True, but they haven't shown of that much. And the game might always suck because of unexpected things, weak story, few and bad side missions, Paris is less exciting then expected, bad AI, short campaign, lots of bugs. Never trust Ubi's marketing machine.

lothario-da-be
08-08-2014, 09:31 PM
(I'll just leave this here)

http://i.imgur.com/M59sXG9.jpg

I was just joking.
ah okay then.
And could you enlighten me about this game? How bad was it? :p

LoyalACFan
08-08-2014, 09:32 PM

I think he liked Connor but didn't like the game itself. He's running a Connor Sequel page, after all.

Anyway, @Lothario, I highly doubt this will be a rerun of AC3's disappointment. With AC3 we were like "wow, what a fresh new direction!" and with ACU it's more "this is specifically and systematically addressing long-standing complaints about the franchise." In 2012 we were trusting that they would deliver on their vision of the franchise, but now it really looks like they're delivering on OUR vision of the franchise.

Assassin_M
08-08-2014, 09:33 PM
Oh my god, he's saying everything I want to hear..."we're designing this game for you to be an Assassin but you can still play how you want" I wonder how they can accomplish that without making the player feel that the game is dictating a certain playstyle over the other, that'll be interesting to see.

I'm also so glad he acknowledged the pre-assassination element from AC I and how it was gone. Ever since AC II introduced the GTA-esque style of missions, this has really been forgotten. placing the player out in the field with just a few outlines of information to get started is amazing, AC I was amazing and it all it needed was variety, which is what they said they're doing.

The prominent return of the proper assassins creed loop is also awesome--This was really lost in AC III. Stalk, locate, assassinate, fight/run, hide. it opens so many doors of innovation around the gameplay and I can't wait to see how it'll be integrated into the AMMs and black boxes, should make for some really interesting design.

Still on the fence about combat.

Megas_Doux
08-08-2014, 09:33 PM
The combat looks easy, but at least from what I can see, not THAT easy.
I REALLY want them to live up to the expectations and the ideas behind of what they are saying.

marvelfannumber
08-08-2014, 09:34 PM
ah okay then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MWEHwvcnyM

Sushiglutton
08-08-2014, 09:35 PM

Let's pray Unity will be the game to set us free and give us our innocence back ;)!

If I had to guess I'd say it has to do with the speed with which you need to respond. I'm going to compare it with Arkham here, which isn't entirely appropriate as those games are meant to be a total power fantasy in which you can easily win every fight, but I think the overriding philosophy is similar. Arkham gets praised for its combat, but really, there are only two defensive moves in the game. If the guy has a blue icon over his head you counter, if the guy has a red icon over his head you dodge. Put it that way and it sounds stupidly easy, but when you have ten other enemies surrounding you it's a lot harder than it sounds. I think their "rock-paper-scissors" analogy is coming from a similar place. If you're about to get hit with a standard attack you can parry, for heavy attacks you roll away, and during moments of inactivity you can attack. Sounds simple until you try doing it with five guards attacking you.

I think I'll be satisfied with the difficulty. My only concern is that it doesn't look that great aesthetically. I saw a lot of repeat animations and some ugly weapon blur. I'm not that worried though, considering we were seeing mostly alpha stuff and it looks way better in the E3 demo.

You are right it's probably the coordination of these three moves while fighting many enemies that makes it difficult to master. Arkham still offers around twenty or so moves I think, so it's hard to think they will be able to achieve the same complexity with three. I mean it can still be very difficult by tuning timewindows and health parameters. It doens't sound that deep to me though. It could still be fun ofc if it's well paced etc.

Edit: Sorry I'm really tired now, I feel like I'm not making much sense lol.

D.I.D.
08-08-2014, 09:36 PM

ALSO:

He means you are going to get a solid sense of a contract on each life, and a sense of who that person is. AC1 had the feeling of nine definite chapters, and each one had "the" kill ("The Slaver", "The Hedonist", "The Doctor", etc). I'm pleased about this, since I've had a very weak sense of who some of our targets have been for the last few years. Some are clearly depicted, but many are not.

AC was conceived as a stealth game. Before it came out, the often-asked question of the devs was, "Isn't this just a reskinned Splinter Cell?". ACII took a turn for the spectacular where every element became bigger, and combat became bigger as part of that process. For a few years it seemed like AC was a victim of its own success, and there would be no way to turn the clock back, but again I'm very happy to hear the team talking about a stealth focus.

And yes, the creative director says the fighting is an option, and for those players the stats of weapons (and maybe armour) will be a big deal. The stealth player can presumably ignore that equipment most of the time and spend their money on other items.

GunnerGalactico
08-08-2014, 09:37 PM
Unity is shaping up nicely :) Stealth mechanics make me happy

Same here. I like the new and improved parkour system too.

SixKeys
08-08-2014, 09:37 PM
Everything in the video sounds promising. Of course, it should be taken with a massive grain of salt as with all hype, but I like how honest Amancio is about many things. He brings up AC1 several times, both as a positive and negative example of things done right and things done wrong. He mentions that the series has sometimes lost sight of the core experience which is true. Not to mention finally acknowledging the problems with simply using high profile for freerunning and how often that would accidentally get you stuck on a wall. I'm always much more open towards a game when devs openly acknowledge flaws in the past instead of acting like everything they've done has always been perfect.

The only thing I don't like based on the preview (visually) is how huge the mini-map is. Parkour also sounds confusing, since they're always talking in terms of controllers and don't mention keyboard layouts. I just want to know how differently this will play with KB+M compared to previous games. (No, I'm not going to get a controller after 7 games, so don't even go there.)

lothario-da-be
08-08-2014, 09:42 PM
I think he liked Connor but didn't like the game itself. He's running a Connor Sequel page, after all.

Anyway, @Lothario, I highly doubt this will be a rerun of AC3's disappointment. With AC3 we were like "wow, what a fresh new direction!" and with ACU it's more "this is specifically and systematically addressing long-standing complaints about the franchise." In 2012 we were trusting that they would deliver on their vision of the franchise, but now it really looks like they're delivering on OUR vision of the franchise.
I don't think ac3 is an awful game, but it didn't meet my expectations on a lot of things.
And you are probably right about unity, it's just that ac3 made me so cautious that even when I know Unity probably won't suck Alex hutchingson keeps whispering "ac3" In my ear.

Sushiglutton
08-08-2014, 09:44 PM
Everything in the video sounds promising. Of course, it should be taken with a massive grain of salt as with all hype, but I like how honest Amancio is about many things. He brings up AC1 several times, both as a positive and negative example of things done right and things done wrong. He mentions that the series has sometimes lost sight of the core experience which is true. Not to mention finally acknowledging the problems with simply using high profile for freerunning and how often that would accidentally get you stuck on a wall. I'm always much more open towards a game when devs openly acknowledge flaws in the past instead of acting like everything they've done has always been perfect.

The only thing I don't like based on the preview (visually) is how huge the mini-map is. Parkour also sounds confusing, since they're always talking in terms of controllers and don't mention keyboard layouts. I just want to know how differently this will play with KB+M compared to previous games. (No, I'm not going to get a controller after 7 games, so don't even go there.)

With a new control layout and the new Xbox One controller being fully supported on PC, it's the perfect time to get a gamepad for Unity!

I went there ;)!

And I agree that Alex knows what he's talking about!

SpiritOfNevaeh
08-08-2014, 09:49 PM
Nice video :) Game is sounding good so far. I just hope it's not all smoke and mirrors and they deliver their promises :D

NondairyGold
08-08-2014, 09:49 PM
Everything looks amazing and all reworked from the ground up. The navigation has had a long overdue overhaul, can't wait to try it. They talk a great game, it even looks great... but until I get my hands on it, I'm not going to go one way or the other.

D.I.D.
08-08-2014, 09:52 PM
I just want to know how differently this will play with KB+M compared to previous games. (No, I'm not going to get a controller after 7 games, so don't even go there.)

We're just trying to save you from carpal tunnel syndrome, and this is how you repay us!

SixKeys
08-08-2014, 09:53 PM
You are right it's probably the coordination of these three moves while fighting many enemies that makes it difficult to master. Arkham still offers around twenty or so moves I think, so it's hard to think they will be able to achieve the same complexity with three. I mean it can still be very difficult by tuning timewindows and health parameters. It doens't sound that deep to me though. It could still be fun ofc if it's well paced etc.

Arkham was needlessly complex IMO. The variety kept you on your toes, but it could get really annoying when Batman had like 10 different special combos, a ****load of gadgets (half of which were unnecessary in combat, but sometimes the game forced you to use them) and some archetypes like the tazer-wielding ones that required a very specific takedown method. I don't get why those games get so much praise for their combat, TBH.

Assassin_M
08-08-2014, 09:55 PM
Arkham was needlessly complex IMO. The variety kept you on your toes, but it could get really annoying when Batman had like 10 different special combos, a ****load of gadgets (half of which were unnecessary in combat, but sometimes the game forced you to use them) and some archetypes like the tazer-wielding ones that required a very specific takedown method. I don't get why those games get so much praise for their combat, TBH.
It's not their fault that you play with a keyboard that is 5 inches wide with gazillions of buttons, you proud viking.

Regarding Batman, UFC and MMA controls make Batman feel like child's play...

D.I.D.
08-08-2014, 09:59 PM

They wouldn't necessarily get so much praise if they'd made any other game that way, but the important thing is that they were Batman games. They captured the fast chain of hard impacts and big moves that a superhero battle ought to have, based on readers' imaginations of the ultra-capable hero of the comics, while also making it possible to lose. Then there were the stealth rooms, which gave you the other side of the character when brawling could not be an option. It's hard to imagine a better gaming representation of what Batman was meant to be.

SixKeys
08-08-2014, 10:00 PM
Batman should've been just a series of rooms filled with gargoyles and other stealth takedown methods and I would have been a happy camper. Combat was such a chore compared to the joy of silent takedowns. :D

SHADOWGARVIN
08-08-2014, 10:02 PM
Batman should've been just a series of rooms filled with gargoyles and other stealth takedown methods and I would have been a happy camper. Combat was such a chore compared to the joy of silent takedowns. :D

Those rooms are so much fun!

LoyalACFan
08-08-2014, 10:03 PM

Edit: Sorry I'm really tired now, I feel like I'm not making much sense lol.

Arkham's moves are mostly just variations of the same thing; knocking goons over into the "ground-pound" state. Batman has a bunch of tools at his disposal, which works for that game, but would feel out of place in AC I think, along with Arkham's combo mechanic. At its core, Arkham combat can be stripped down to the same pillars as Unity's combat (attack, dodge, parry). And Unity would do well to keep things stripped down IMO. Arkham combat is all about the power fantasy, Assassin's Creed combat should be about survival.

Sushiglutton
08-08-2014, 10:03 PM
Regarding Batman, UFC and MMA controls make Batman feel like child's play...

Not claiming that Artkham is a complex combat game. It's a very fun (imo), arcadey, powerfantasy kind of deal based around flow (which according to Amancio basically = fun). I was just comparing it to the (presumably) three moves of AC:U.

Arkham's moves are mostly just variations of the same thing; knocking goons over into the "ground-pound" state. Batman has a bunch of tools at his disposal, which works for that game, but would feel out of place in AC I think, along with Arkham's combo mechanic. At its core, Arkham combat can be stripped down to the same pillars as Unity's combat (attack, dodge, parry). And Unity would do well to keep things stripped down IMO. Arkham combat is all about the power fantasy, Assassin's Creed combat should be about survival.

Disagree. You can reposition yourself vs enemies, you can pull them towards you, you can destroy their weapons, you can create like a parameter in which it's safe to do takedown (aka batswarm) and so on. There are several moves with unique strategic benefits.

Assassin_M
08-08-2014, 10:06 PM
Not claiming that Artkham is a complex combat game. It's a very fun (imo), arcadey, powerfantasy kind of deal based around flow (which according to Amancio basically = fun). I was just comparing it to the (presumably) three moves of AC:U.
Oh no, I wasn't referring to you. by the end of the game when you'v had most of the moves learned, it can be pretty tricky but I was saying to Sixkeys how compared to UFC and MMA, Batman is not that complex.

SixKeys
08-08-2014, 10:07 PM
BTW, I love Amancio's quote about combat essentially being a failstate and how it should be handled. In the Ezio games they obviously also thought this was true, but they tried to enforce the idea by auto-resetting the situation with insta-desynch upon detection. I like that it's now up to the player to escape the situation and reset the situation.

Oh no, I wasn't referring to you. by the end of the game when you'v had most of the moves learned, it can be pretty tricky but I was saying to Sixkeys how compared to UFC and MMA, Batman is not that complex.

And UFC and MMA are....?

Sushiglutton
08-08-2014, 10:09 PM
I don't get why those games get so much praise for their combat, TBH.

Because when you get into the flow it feels magical :)!

Jexx21
08-08-2014, 10:09 PM
I don't think Arkham's combat is complex at all, and I also played with KB/M for a large part of my playtime with the games.

But Arkham also has the best combat I've experienced in games. so there's that.

Sushiglutton
08-08-2014, 10:11 PM
Anyway back to Unity

When Arno runs almost parallell to the wall and then starts to wallrun up diagonally. I mean that's freaking sweet :D!

Edit: And on that note, Good Night everyone :)!

SixKeys
08-08-2014, 10:12 PM
Because when you get into the flow it feels magical :)!

Meh. For flow I still prefer ACB. It may be much more simplistic, but feels so much smoother than the clunky animations in Arkham.

marvelfannumber
08-08-2014, 10:14 PM
The Assassin's Creed forums; Where we talk about Batman.

D.I.D.
08-08-2014, 10:14 PM

Interesting you mention this - something that frustrates me all the time when replaying the old games happens during combat when NPCs are knocked down. Because the "sword out" offensive state tended to come with a slow crab-walk animation, I was always knocking a guy off his horse and then making this painful shuffle towards him, knowing he'd be back on his feet before I could reach him. I'd have to remember how to flee, even though that wasn't the mindset I was in, in order to move normally and get to the guy to try and stake him on the ground - a process which was not much more successful. As the games supported bigger and bigger fights, your average sword fight could become an equally frustrating exercise in being unable to kill targets at their absolute most vulnerable.

Arkham's series did that better. You'd see someone down, and you'd go right for them, feeling the satisfaction that you'd just knocked down another problem. It can be seen an a simple rock-paper-scissors thing, but there's also the tension of a feeling like spinning plates. You had to keep your attention of several things at once, and allow rhythm to keep you covered while you looked at the next threat and figured out which move was required. Someone's on the ground, that guy just picked up a barrel to throw, don't let that guy pick up that dropped gun, get rid of this guard with the shield, there's a piece of environmental furniture I can use to my advantage. Sleeping Dogs did this pretty well too, and it does create a truly amped-up feeling.

pacmanate
08-08-2014, 10:15 PM
ah okay then.

We do not talk about sonic 06, ever.

Also someone mentioned hype. Im not giving in to any hype personally. I said somewhere that the story can suck for all I care now :p Im just happy for the BlackBox and AMM. It makes it more "Assassin Simulator" than "Assassin Game".

LoyalACFan
08-08-2014, 10:17 PM
Disagree. You can reposition yourself vs enemies, you can pull them towards you, you can destroy their weapons, you can create like a parameter in which it's safe to do takedown (aka batswarm) and so on. There are several moves with unique strategic benefits.[/FONT]

I mentioned combo moves near the end of my post. I don't think anything like that would work in AC, because to unlock those moves you have to perform an arbitrary number of hits without taking damage. That's fine for an arcadey superhero game, but in AC having any type of "special moves" like that would be way out of place. I sort of disregarded the gadget aspect, because technically AC has this too via the quickfire tool button ever since ACR. It's never been particularly well-implemented, but I didn't go in depth with it because I don't know how it'll play out in Unity. But essentially, guns = batarang, rope dart = batclaw, trip mine = explosive gel, and sleep dart = freeze grenade. The problem was that these tools were hard to access in combat since you had to scroll through a menu to access them, but they were there.

Assassin_M
08-08-2014, 10:18 PM
And UFC and MMA are....?
MMA is a violent sport and UFC is a promotion of said violent sport. Both are games that were released in 2010 and 2014 respectively and both have complex as hell combat--learning curve? try learning mountain.

The grappling and submission controls take a while to learn. Using and defending against grappling moves requires the player to hold either (going with PS controls) L1, R1, or R2 while rotating the right stick in a quarter-circle motion in whatever direction is appropriate based on the opponent’s movements. This is difficult to master, and the mechanics are made even more complex by the fact that players have different grappling stats, so sometimes a flawless execution of a command doesn’t yield a flawless result.

This is a realistic approach to how grappling actually works in fights, but it isn’t that fun for casual players. MMA games aren’t like other sports or fighting games where players can learn a few basic controls in 30 seconds and have a decent chance to win vs. an A.I. opponent on easy mode.

There're also A HUGE number of combos of punches and kicks that you can utilize, the combos range from directional punches, contextual ones, combining punches and kicks, punches and knees, elbows and kicks and on and on.

The submission system is also a game of cat and mouse.

The Assassin's Creed forums; Where we talk about Batman.
and UFC and MMA

ArabianFrost
08-08-2014, 10:24 PM
Alex Amancio, you beautiful, brilliant man.
I have nothing else to add. All has been said by everyone here.

Aphex_Tim
08-08-2014, 10:35 PM
I do hope we get to decrease the size of the minimap, as right now there's nothing mini about it!

Xangr8
08-08-2014, 10:39 PM
Wonderful! Can't freaking wait for Octobaaaa!

LoyalACFan
08-08-2014, 10:40 PM
I do hope we get to decrease the size of the minimap, as right now there's nothing mini about it!

I'll probably just turn it off considering the waypoints are 3D now plus the high ground feature.

ze_topazio
08-08-2014, 10:54 PM
Based Amancio

Regarding Batman, my problem with its fighting system is that the fights are too long, I mean, we are Batman, why are we taking forever, why do we need so many punches to knock out some fodder thugs.

Sesheenku
08-08-2014, 10:59 PM
It all sounds real good. I cannot possibly be more hyped than I am now.

Alex, do not fail me. Deliver this awesomeness and all failures will be forgotten.

killzab
08-08-2014, 11:05 PM
Based Amancio

Regarding Batman, my problem with its fighting system is that the fights are too long, I mean, we are Batman, why are we taking forever, why do we need so many punches to knock out some fodder thugs.

Batman combats didn't seem that long to me ?

Most thugs would be KO after 3-4 punches.... it never felt like it dragged on.

Of course, fights against 20+ enemies could get long but it makes sense.

Lonnie_Jackson
08-08-2014, 11:24 PM
Very Interested in the fighting system now. It's funny though, since they started talking about how challenging the fights are I am more intrigued to do so then ever before.

joelsantos24
08-08-2014, 11:38 PM
That's not exactly new, it's actually from Blacklist. But I've been saying for many years now, that there are several classic stealth elements from Splinter Cell that made sense and would be perfect in AC. For those who never played Blacklist, these new stealth features are gonna be awesome. Another one is the stealth mode (or crouching mode, whatever you wanna call it), but that has been the key element of Splinter Cell gameplay since the very beginning (2003).

is sanctioned by the assassins. hm. what does that mean? I dont even engrish.
It means approved or authorized.

wat? since when? :rolleyes:
Since ever... The problem is, they've always made a mess of stealth in the games, in my opinion.

m4r-k7
08-08-2014, 11:48 PM
I just love that for the first time the dev's are actively admitting that their systems for the newer games havn't been too good and they want to return to the core pillars of AC and are taking inspiration from AC 1. I absolutely love what I see so far. Love how they are finally letting us assassinate in a more open way. Parkour looks fantastic.

marvelfannumber
08-08-2014, 11:50 PM
@m4r-k7

I know right? It's very unusual for a AAA annual series to do that, which is why I am loving the marketing for this game so far. It feels much more honest and sincere than say AC3 which got a little bloated and pretentious at points imo.

m4r-k7
08-09-2014, 12:00 AM
@m4r-k7

I know right? It's very unusual for a AAA annual series to do that, which is why I am loving the marketing for this game so far. It feels much more honest and sincere than say AC3 which got a little bloated and pretentious at points imo.

Agree 100%
It is certainly taking a different marketing approach to AC 3. Unity is basically aiming for a refined Assassins Creed 1 experience which I have been waiting for for ages whilst AC 3 was "look at how much of a warrior Connor is he is killing armies of men bla bla bla"

joelsantos24
08-09-2014, 12:03 AM
I just love that for the first time the dev's are actively admitting that their systems for the newer games havn't been too good and they want to return to the core pillars of AC and are taking inspiration from AC 1. I absolutely love what I see so far. Love how they are finally letting us assassinate in a more open way. Parkour looks fantastic.
Agreed. It was awesome, to hear that they're going back to the roots of the series and to that core mechanic. Very different from any Assassination Contract from AC2 to Black Flag, where the system just tells you where your target is. This implies that the Assassination Contracts might effectively be longer missions, with several different side-missions. Basically, we'll have to learn whomever the target is, what does he do, his crimes, his whereabouts, etc. If it is so, that's awesome.

Sesheenku
08-09-2014, 01:01 AM
Agreed. It was awesome, to hear that they're going back to the roots of the series and to that core mechanic. Very different from any Assassination Contract from AC2 to Black Flag, where the system just tells you where your target is. This implies that the Assassination Contracts might effectively be longer missions, with several different side-missions. Basically, we'll have to learn whomever the target is, what does he do, his crimes, his whereabouts, etc. If it is so, that's awesome.

I might actually do assassination contract and be excited for them.

In AC4 I only did them for money, it was kinda cool and had some openness but it just sucks that the rest of the story could have had anything like that and yet didn't.

Wolfmeister1010
08-09-2014, 01:42 AM
Combat looks really nice. From those small black and white clips even you can see that the enemies' attack at basically the same time! It seems that when two attack, you have to roll away, because there are no double counters and you can only handle one enemy at once.

Stealth and parkour look nice and fluid as well. I can get used to that last known location stuff. And if what they said about guards looking around and talking and accusing people is true then that rocks because I hate how the guards always just stand around. "Where'd he go? Oh well."

Also it looks like Trey Parker is on the dev team for Unity

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BujptjuIYAEdybB.jpg:large

Wolfmeister1010
08-09-2014, 01:47 AM
Also anybody notice at 4:03 the "throw bait" prompt on the y button while he was in the hay cart? ;)

Legendz54
08-09-2014, 01:50 AM
Looks very nice from the prototype demo's in the vid.

I-Like-Pie45
08-09-2014, 01:51 AM
I expect all this to be removed/simplified for the final release.

Lonnie_Jackson
08-09-2014, 01:59 AM
I wonder why there is no hands on this late in development? Almost makes me worry.

Sesheenku
08-09-2014, 02:02 AM
I expect all this to be removed/simplified for the final release.

Do not speak such blasphemous things.

SixKeys
08-09-2014, 02:04 AM
I wonder why there is no hands on this late in development? Almost makes me worry.

Every demo they have to make takes extra resources that could be used on polishing the game. They would have to make sure the demo is playable and more or less representative of the final product, market it, squash all bugs and glitches before deadline etc.

Sesheenku
08-09-2014, 02:09 AM
Every demo they have to make takes extra resources that could be used on polishing the game. They would have to make sure the demo is playable and more or less representative of the final product, market it, squash all bugs and glitches before deadline etc.

They've never even made a demo before anyways have they?

Wolfmeister1010
08-09-2014, 02:27 AM
The first playable demo I remember for AC4 was the fort one at Gamescom along with the Julien du Casse one

Jexx21
08-09-2014, 02:28 AM
sounds suck

I'll be here playing AC2, the greatest game

Lonnie_Jackson
08-09-2014, 02:47 AM
I meant demos of events not public. Why isn't the e3 one playable? Even at sdcc they had others play it in front of you. But maybe resources is right. Just makes me wonder.

Dev_Anj
08-09-2014, 02:50 AM

Yeah, I'm surprised at how they've actually revamped the enemies.

Now to see if the combat is as good as it looks. Because pretty much every Assassin's Creed from 1 to 3 had good looking combat, but actually was too simplistic.

Wolfmeister1010
08-09-2014, 02:55 AM
Meh. Even from AC3 demo you could see that the combat was completely counter based. This..the fact that I still don't quite know exactly how the combat works is a GREAT sign.

Dev_Anj
08-09-2014, 02:59 AM
Meh. Even from AC3 demo you could see that the combat was completely counter based.

Fair point.

Gin0r
08-09-2014, 08:28 AM
Wow, that all sounded pretty great, especially the bits about making it feel more like ACI without the repetitiveness. October can’t come fast enough.
And everytime I hear the few notes from "Ezio’s Family" they "hid" in the Soundtrack I get goosebumps, to me that track always felt the most like an "Assassin’s Creed Main Theme".

killzab
08-09-2014, 09:06 AM
sounds suck

I'll be here playing AC2, the greatest game

??? what ?

Sushiglutton
08-09-2014, 09:53 AM
I mentioned combo moves near the end of my post. I don't think anything like that would work in AC, because to unlock those moves you have to perform an arbitrary number of hits without taking damage. That's fine for an arcadey superhero game, but in AC having any type of "special moves" like that would be way out of place. I sort of disregarded the gadget aspect, because technically AC has this too via the quickfire tool button ever since ACR. It's never been particularly well-implemented, but I didn't go in depth with it because I don't know how it'll play out in Unity. But essentially, guns = batarang, rope dart = batclaw, trip mine = explosive gel, and sleep dart = freeze grenade. The problem was that these tools were hard to access in combat since you had to scroll through a menu to access them, but they were there.

If we disregard the tools Arkham still has: attack, stun, super stun, beatdown, vaulting over enemies, jump away, climb enemies attack, climb and leap to another enemy, counter, knife counter, ground takedown, throwing back objects, and the four special moves (might have missed some).

If you think about the strategic effects of some of these moves I don't think they would be impossible to implement in a more realistic way. I don't think special moves are out of place in AC. I mean the dual counter in AC3 was the same sort of thing (just poorly executed). In Brotherhood there was a double kill mechanic that was available once you have killed a couple of enemies (the exact rules were a bit unclear to me). You don't have to base it around a combocounter either. It could be for example that you need to have two enemies in some kind of stunned state.

Now we still don't know the effect of stringing moves in AC:U together. Will they still function as individual moves or will a special order trigger special effects (like the beatdown in Arkham)? If so that would give the system a lot more depth.

My thinking is that the co-op has forced them to make a very simplistic combat system as four players battling enemies in a confined space could easily turn into a giant mess. So I doubt there will be that much more to it than the three moves (they are also talking about heavy attacks btw) and fire arms. In a deeper system the risk of friends interupting would be annoying.

I dunno, just speculating a lot here. I'm not conviced by the combat yet. It's not super important to me either as I feel parkour and stealth are the two most important pillars for AC.

IMRicko
08-09-2014, 01:13 PM
Can anyone share the video through a different link? I can't access Game Informer website for some reason. It keeps saying internal server error

joelsantos24
08-09-2014, 01:21 PM
I might actually do assassination contract and be excited for them.

In AC4 I only did them for money, it was kinda cool and had some openness but it just sucks that the rest of the story could have had anything like that and yet didn't.
I did enjoy the contracts in AC2 and Brotherhood; in AC3 it was just utter chaos; and Black Flag's were average. In AC1, the contracts were the cornerstone of the entire game, that's all the game was about, and it makes sense. Like Amancio says: the game is about Assassins, and the Assassination Contracts should be at the core of the game. I'm actually very thrilled with this.

Dome500
08-09-2014, 03:20 PM
Stealth mode is again awesome! Think Alex describes the frustrating moments that came from stealth being done in, basically, parkour mode perfectly. It really sounds like they are designing the missions in the kind of open fashion that is essential for good stealth imo. Namely so you get to survey your surrounding and plan the attack/infiltration.

Hope they do the same with the next Splinter Cell. Also in terms of the "sandbox" areas. If you take Splinter Cell and say "here are your objectives, here is the sandbox map area, go nuts (360° approach) I think that would be awesome. Stealth games and games in general I think profit a lot from open maps that and objectives you can tackle from multiple angles in multiple ways, it's just increases replayability a LOT.

I dunno, just speculating a lot here. I'm not conviced by the combat yet. It's not super important to me either as I feel parkour and stealth are the two most important pillars for AC.

Absolutely agreed, although I think the combat will definitely be more fun for me, so I'll try this one as well if I'm in the mood.

Just imagine 6 guys run towards you, you kill one with your pistol (or phantoms blade), then you fight, parry, dodge, attack, one is down, (your health is dropping), attack, parry, parry, dodge, attack, 2 are down, you run up a wall and jump down (air assassination?), throw a smoke bomb, kill the other 3.

It opens up possibilities. I hope they leave room for creative moves such as the air assassination during combat.
Would be cool.

As for the rest, I think the basic moves are not all that bad. Parry is like counter only that the enemy is not killed immediately, dodge is like dodge in AC2, probably for the more fast and the "normal" enemies, based on your weapons (different stats) you can be better in several things. Either faster (light weapon), more crowd control (longer weapon), or more devastating but slower (heavy weapons). The phantom blade and the pistol will help you on long distances and to thin out the enemies when they run towards you and try to approach you.

I think there is a lot room for cool gameplay.

Plus, I absolutely agree that Parkour and Stealth are at the core, and if the Stealth system works PROPERLY (best example for the opposite is AC3) then it will actually be FUN, for most people. It can be very satisfying to successfully sneak past enemies without being seen or to kill them from the shadows.

In AC1, the contracts were the cornerstone of the entire game, that's all the game was about, and it makes sense. Like Amancio says: the game is about Assassins, and the Assassination Contracts should be at the core of the game. I'm actually very thrilled with this.

Agreed.
I also agree with Amancio about the Investigations. It just makes sense.
Sure, AC1 was linear and boring in that regard, but ACU will have a lot more assets, side missions and content and a lit more tool and mission variety. Especially with the new Adaptive Missions Design they can create dynamic situations and with the new mechanics and tools the whole thing will be more interesting. I always loved the fact that you got familiar with the target, investigated, seriously the adaptive mission design + the better parkour + more/better (/proper) Stealth (System) + the Investigations is about ALL I wanted and said on those forums since I first posted on the AC forums.
No kidding.

Plus, I do not think ALL the game will be about the Assassinations.

We have Arnos personal story, his love interest, the Brotherhood missions (which is a whole separate story), the murder mysteries, the tombs (or riddle/puzzle tomb-equivalent) and more.

If everything works out I tell you this game will kick AC back in the ring and back in my heart. Just have to wait and see IF everything turns out as they imagine and planned to.

m4r-k7
08-09-2014, 04:12 PM
I have a good feeling about this one.

1) They are admitting they made mistakes in the past (especially with the stealth and linear missions)
2) They recognise the open mission structure and amazing elements of AC 1 + adding the side content and story that made AC 2.
3) They are directly redesigning the core pillars this time around. Instead of trying to "improve" them (which AC 3 did not do in my opinion) they are actually redesigning them. The most interesting to me so far is that parkour - it looks incredible.
4) Amancio said in one of his interviews he wants Unity to make the impact on new-gen that AC 1 did at the beginning of last-gen (I was blown away when I played AC 1 - it was one of my first 360 games)
5) The combat does look a lot harder in that prototype footage which is needed. We aren't some warrior, we are an assassin.
6) The setting and world looks astonishing.

I am trying not to get too hyped but I am seriously looking forward to Unity.

joelsantos24
08-09-2014, 04:22 PM
Hope they do the same with the next Splinter Cell. Also in terms of the "sandbox" areas. If you take Splinter Cell and say "here are your objectives, here is the sandbox map area, go nuts (360° approach) I think that would be awesome. Stealth games and games in general I think profit a lot from open maps that and objectives you can tackle from multiple angles in multiple ways, it's just increases replayability a LOT.
I've always said that AC could/would benefit so much with the incorporation of many elements from Splinter Cell, particularly on stealth. I'm glad they've decided to incorporate the stealth mode (which is not new to us Splinter Cell fans), and the last known position shadow, which comes from Blacklist. Lets hope they keep incorporating additional elements, and in a smart way.

Agreed.
I also agree with Amancio about the Investigations. It just makes sense.
Sure, AC1 was linear and boring in that regard, but ACU will have a lot more assets, side missions and content and a lit more tool and mission variety. Especially with the new Adaptive Missions Design they can create dynamic situations and with the new mechanics and tools the whole thing will be more interesting. I always loved the fact that you got familiar with the target, investigated, seriously the adaptive mission design + the better parkour + more/better (/proper) Stealth (System) + the Investigations is about ALL I wanted and said on those forums since I first posted on the AC forums.
No kidding.

Plus, I do not think ALL the game will be about the Assassinations.

We have Arnos personal story, his love interest, the Brotherhood missions (which is a whole separate story), the murder mysteries, the tombs (or riddle/puzzle tomb-equivalent) and more.

If everything works out I tell you this game will kick AC back in the ring and back in my heart. Just have to wait and see IF everything turns out as they imagine and planned to.
Definitely, the Assassination Contracts will come back to remain at the core of the game, but it won't be the only thing we'll be doing. But the Adaptive Mission Design, the considerably improved parkour system, the incorporation of a proper (Splinter Cell-derived) stealth system, etc, does make Unity incredibly appealing.

aznassassin159
08-09-2014, 06:22 PM
Parkour is now back to a two-button system?????

YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

Sushiglutton
08-09-2014, 06:27 PM
Parkour is now back to a two-button system?????

YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

It's even better than that :)! AC3 had two (basically, I'm cheating a bit here) modes for movement: walking and sprinting. AC:U has five: stealth mode, walking, sprinting, climbing, descending. This should mean there will be a lot less frustrating moments when the character does something you didn't intend. It also opens up new gameplay opportunities like taking cover and wallrunning.

Assassin_M
08-09-2014, 07:50 PM
adding the side content and story that made AC 2.
No they're not, thankfully. AC II started the trend of unnecessary fluff in AC games. We did things like beating husbands up, delivering messages and buying paintings...everybody keeps taking a crap on AC III's side missions but AC II had some TERRIBLE ones.

and AC II's story was bad...from antagonists to hero motivations, it was a mess.

jayjay275
08-09-2014, 07:56 PM
ACIII's side missions such as Boston Brawlers and the Homestead missions were fantastic in my opinion. I LOVE infiltrating forts the most though, especially undetected, but I don't think we'll see those in Unity.
Side post: Antonio looks like Sirius Black.

ze_topazio
08-09-2014, 07:59 PM
and AC II's story was bad...from antagonists to hero motivations, it was a mess.

Still better than ACIII. http://www.narutoforums.com/images/smilies/series2/kruemelmonster.gif

Assassin_M
08-09-2014, 07:59 PM
ACIII's side missions such as Boston Brawlers and the Homestead missions were fantastic in my opinion. I LOVE infiltrating forts the most though, especially undetected, but I don't think we'll see those in Unity.
Side post: Antonio looks like Sirius Black.
I thought AC III's best side missions were the Homestead missions, the Hunting society missions, the forts, the Naval missions and contracts, the Boston brawlers, the Captain Kidd missions and liberation missions.

Assassin_M
08-09-2014, 08:00 PM
Still better than ACIII. http://www.narutoforums.com/images/smilies/series2/kruemelmonster.gif
Al-mualim was not a Templar.

jayjay275
08-09-2014, 08:00 PM
I thought AC III's best side missions were the Homestead missions, the Hunting society missions, the forts, the Naval missions and contracts, the Boston brawlers, the Captain Kidd missions and liberation missions.

I cannot agree more.

Sesheenku
08-09-2014, 08:01 PM
No they're not, thankfully. AC II started the trend of unnecessary fluff in AC games. We did things like beating husbands up, delivering messages and buying paintings...everybody keeps taking a crap on AC III's side missions but AC II had some TERRIBLE ones.

Have to agree. It was a cool game with some improvements that made it excellent among the series but it came with a lot of unnecessary crap, I tried one of each side mission, saw that they were just 5 second throw away, repetitive, dull, clones and never touched them again.

The story is obviously a step down from AC1 too.

ze_topazio
08-09-2014, 08:02 PM
Al-mualim was not a Templar.

But was a billain.

Assassin_M
08-09-2014, 08:24 PM
But was a billain.
Oh, it's a list of billains, okay then

Jexx21
08-09-2014, 08:28 PM
Al Mualim was a Templar though. He was one of the 10 Templars that found the Apple of Eden in the Temple of Soloman.

marvelfannumber
08-09-2014, 08:33 PM
Al Mualim was a Templar though. He was one of the 10 Templars that found the Apple of Eden in the Temple of Soloman.

SoloMan was my favorite soda superhero. Cola-Man was so lame in comparison.

Megas_Doux
08-09-2014, 08:34 PM
I have a good feeling about this one.

1) They are admitting they made mistakes in the past (especially with the stealth and linear missions)
2) They recognise the open mission structure and amazing elements of AC 1 + adding the side content and story that made AC 2.
3) They are directly redesigning the core pillars this time around. Instead of trying to "improve" them (which AC 3 did not do in my opinion) they are actually redesigning them. The most interesting to me so far is that parkour - it looks incredible.
4) Amancio said in one of his interviews he wants Unity to make the impact on new-gen that AC 1 did at the beginning of last-gen (I was blown away when I played AC 1 - it was one of my first 360 games)
5) The combat does look a lot harder in that prototype footage which is needed. We aren't some warrior, we are an assassin.
6) The setting and world looks astonishing.

I am trying not to get too hyped but I am seriously looking forward to Unity.

My main Concern with Unity is how that game will be able top AC IV´s side quests and Sandbox quality....

Assassin_M
08-09-2014, 08:35 PM
he WAS one but he betrayed them.

Jexx21
08-09-2014, 08:37 PM
True. So.. he was a triple agent working for himself. Became the leader of the Assassins, became a Templar, and betrayed the ideals of both so he could control the Holy Land (and perhaps find a way to prolong his life).

marvelfannumber
08-09-2014, 08:37 PM
That's odd, AC1 had such awful story telling I didn't even realize

Assassin_M
08-09-2014, 08:40 PM
That's odd, AC1 had such awful story telling I didn't even realize
How so?

marvelfannumber
08-09-2014, 08:46 PM
How so?

It might be just me but the lack of actual cutscenes give me problems paying attention. There's just constant talking (which may be interesting) but for most of the time all I see is 2 people standing in a flat angle.

Throughout the middle of the game I had no clue what was going on due to intense boredom. (it doesn't help that you have to rewatch them every time you want to replay the game and have no way of skipping them)

Then again as said that may be just me having a lack of patience. But that's just how I felt playing the game.

ze_topazio
08-09-2014, 09:11 PM
AC1 to me has the best story in the series.

masterfenix2009
08-09-2014, 09:27 PM
There is a difference between a good story and a good story that is also told clearly and presented well. For instance, Brotherhood's story wasn't that great, but the story was told clearly, and presented well. AC1' s main problem with it story was telling it clearly and presenting it well.

aznassassin159
08-09-2014, 09:35 PM
My main Concern with Unity is how that game will be able top AC IV´s side quests and Sandbox quality....

I never found ACIV's (or heck, any of the AC games) sidequests interesting. The only ones I ever bothered with were the Assassination Contracts, and even those were lacking in substance.

SixKeys
08-09-2014, 09:56 PM
It might be just me but the lack of actual cutscenes give me problems paying attention. There's just constant talking (which may be interesting) but for most of the time all I see is 2 people standing in a flat angle.

Throughout the middle of the game I had no clue what was going on due to intense boredom. (it doesn't help that you have to rewatch them every time you want to replay the game and have no way of skipping them)

Then again as said that may be just me having a lack of patience. But that's just how I felt playing the game.

Just because you didn't enjoy the presentation doesn't mean the game objectively had bad storytelling. That's like saying "Final Fantasy VII had bad storytelling because I hated the graphics". It makes no sense.

rprkjj
08-09-2014, 10:10 PM
Just because you didn't enjoy the presentation doesn't mean the game objectively had bad storytelling. That's like saying "Final Fantasy VII had bad storytelling because I hated the graphics". It makes no sense.

It's easier to enjoy a good story with a good presentation. A bad presentation directly affects the quality of the story. Sure, if I cared enough I could probably find some deeper, more quality narrative, but I don't care because the story wasn't appealing in the first place.

Assassin_M
08-09-2014, 10:15 PM

I don't see how it's any different from cutscenes in other ACs...it was still a cutscene but you controlled Altair and the camera. I don't understand how this is bad story-telling or not a cutscene.

ACfan443
08-09-2014, 10:20 PM
I don't see how it's any different from cutscenes in other ACs...it was still a cutscene but you controlled Altair and the camera. I don't understand how this is bad story-telling or not a cutscene.

I loved the interactive cutscenes in AC1. My favourite thing about triggering cutscenes was being able to alter the camera angles when glitches momentarily appeared on screen.

Assassin_M
08-09-2014, 10:22 PM
I loved the interactive cutscenes in AC1. My favourite thing about triggering cutscenes was being able to alter the camera angles when glitches momentarily appeared on screen.
Same here. It's pretty sad that those are gone, I wouldn't mind a few of those being integrated somewhere in the games again.

ACfan443
08-09-2014, 10:26 PM
Same here. It's pretty sad that those are gone, I wouldn't mind a few of those being integrated somewhere in the games again.

I'd be happy to see the system used for some side missions, I presume the non-hq cutscenes wouldn't look unsightly and rough now that they've made the jump to next-gen.

marvelfannumber
08-09-2014, 10:58 PM

Well I suppose, but I still somehow found it extremely boring and confusing. I guess like you said that a better way of putting it would be "I really don't like the presentation of the story in AC1).

masterfenix2009
08-09-2014, 10:59 PM

The problem for me was that it didn't give you full camera control. You couldn't zoom in and out to Al mualim's face while he was talking. It was hard to even see his face without changing to fixed camera angles because he would move so much and preferred not to look at Altair directly. For people like me, who find it hard to focus, it as hard to pay attention and not day dream while talking was happening. Traditional cutscenes are much better to me because it shows what is important at the time. Its saying " FOCUS ON THIS GUY. ITS IMPORTANT. HE IS SAYING/DOING SOMETHING YOU NEEDTO KNOW ABOUT.

The cutscenes could trigger by the random animus glitches were cool but didn't happen often enough.

Assassin_M
08-09-2014, 11:02 PM
The problem for me was that it didn't give you full camera control. You couldn't zoom in and out to Al mualim's face while he was talking. It was hard to even see his face without changing to fixed camera angles because he would move so much and preferred not to look at Altair directly. For people like me, who find it hard to focus, it as hard to pay attention and not day dream while talking was happening. Traditional cutscenes are much better to me because it shows what is important at the time. Its saying " FOCUS ON THIS GUY. ITS IMPORTANT. HE IS SAYING/DOING SOMETHING YOU NEEDTO KNOW ABOUT.

The cutscenes could trigger by the random animus glitches were cool but didn't happen often enough.
I still don't see how the camera changes anything...a guy speaking = pay attention to him, simple as that to me.

marvelfannumber
08-09-2014, 11:14 PM
I still don't see how the camera changes anything...a guy speaking = pay attention to him, simple as that to me.

Different people have different levels of concentration it seems.

rickprog
08-10-2014, 03:00 AM
I don't know if I was the only one who noticed but if you click on the banner under the video on GI's website, there's another page with an index of what they've published so far and it says "Next update August 11th". Less than two days! :D

LoyalACFan
08-10-2014, 03:04 AM

In those days it was fine, but now that motion capture is more pervasive and realistic I think it's better to just use traditional cutscenes and automatically use close-ups of the character's face while they're speaking. It captures the subtleties of the performance a lot better.

LoyalACFan
08-10-2014, 03:05 AM
I don't know if I was the only one who noticed but if you click on the banner under the video on GI's website, there's another page with an index of what they've published so far and it says "Next update August 11th". Less than two days! :D

Yeah, GI does that for their cover story every month I think. Updates usually come out every two days, barring weekends. The last one I really paid attention too was their Arkham Knight coverage last spring.

rickprog
08-10-2014, 03:08 AM
That's great. I wonder if it'll be about Rogue or Unity...

Xstantin
08-10-2014, 03:22 AM
Next update will be Aug. 11th

rickprog
08-10-2014, 03:26 AM
Precisely what I said five posts ago, hahaha.

Xstantin
08-10-2014, 03:27 AM
Didn't read last page. Sorry :nonchalance:

JustPlainQuirky
08-10-2014, 03:27 AM
My body is ready

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/006/077/so_good.png

I hope we get Haytham pics

edit: wait is it Unity info only?

rickprog
08-10-2014, 03:39 AM
@Mayrice no, it isn't. Last batch was the video this thread is about, but the next update could be about Rogue.

Darkljolly
08-10-2014, 03:43 AM
Finally, really a bit more excited for Rouge than Unity. Kinda wished Rouge was the next gen AC game >.>

JustPlainQuirky
08-10-2014, 03:43 AM
yuuuuuuuus

*rubs tummy*

Dev_Anj
08-10-2014, 04:05 AM
Finally, really a bit more excited for Rouge than Unity. Kinda wished Rouge was the next gen AC game >.>

So their main focus should have been on a game that reused locations, focuses on naval more than on the main gameplay, and doesn't seem to have much of a change to the mechanics? That sounds like a bad idea.

rickprog
08-10-2014, 04:30 AM
I'd suppose Darkljolly meant it referring to the story. I wouldn't agree in that case either, since it's still quite an experiment to have a Templar as the protagonist.

Landruner
08-10-2014, 04:41 AM
True, but they haven't shown of that much. And the game might always suck because of unexpected things, weak story, few and bad side missions, Paris is less exciting then expected, bad AI, short campaign, lots of bugs. Never trust Ubi's marketing machine.

Yep You are so right, and it is what concern me the most regarding Unity , I did not get that exited at all with the game-play I saw, and I assume that they exaggerated it for the hype of the game, and some stuff will be announced dropped like they did for AC3/AC4 so yep.... as a rule with Ubisoft game for the past years, don't buy the hype and fear the worse for not being too disappointed post release.

rickprog
08-10-2014, 05:03 AM
The most important innovations of Unity, which are the rebuilt core elements, can't be dropped at this point. Other things like customization or cafés and whatnot could end up being less than expected, but most of the hype is actually coming from the rebuilt core, so it'll be quite hard to disappoint.

Sesheenku
08-10-2014, 05:47 AM
Yep You are so right, and it is what concern me the most regarding Unity , I did not get that exited at all with the game-play I saw, and I assume that they exaggerated it for the hype of the game, and some stuff will be announced dropped like they did for AC3/AC4 so yep.... as a rule with Ubisoft game for the past years, don't buy the hype and fear the worse for not being too disappointed post release.

After doing it once, doing it twice puts them in serious danger of losing fans, me being a guaranteed one of those.

One more ****ing time, just one more ****ing time is all it's going to take for me to put this series away and NEVER touch it again. I won't be played the fool more than twice.

Their money is on the line. Once with AC3 was okay, but twice? No. I will not forgive.

You reading this Ubi? You better deliver and if you don't already have everything close to finished you'd better start praying to whatever gods you worship because I hope that I'm not the only one who has the constitution to say NO to you if you ever DARE to mess up like you did with AC3 again.

Darkljolly
08-10-2014, 06:16 AM
So their main focus should have been on a game that reused locations, focuses on naval more than on the main gameplay, and doesn't seem to have much of a change to the mechanics? That sounds like a bad idea.

New York City is getting revamped, and the Atlantic north and Appalachian River Valley sound way more interesting than Paris.

It won't focus more on naval than the main gameplay, it will have a perfect balance of both, just as Black Flag showed it could be pulled off perfectly.

As for mechanics, I give you that Unity will be way better gameplay and graphically wise, everything else from main protagonist to setting to story premise is just meh.

Luckily I still have my PS3, so I'll get the best of both worlds.

Landruner
08-10-2014, 07:25 AM
After doing it once, doing it twice puts them in serious danger of losing fans, me being a guaranteed one of those.

One more ****ing time, just one more ****ing time is all it's going to take for me to put this series away and NEVER touch it again. I won't be played the fool more than twice.

Their money is on the line. Once with AC3 was okay, but twice? No. I will not forgive.

You reading this Ubi? You better deliver and if you don't already have everything close to finished you'd better start praying to whatever gods you worship because I hope that I'm not the only one who has the constitution to say NO to you if you ever DARE to mess up like you did with AC3 again.

You honestly it won't change much since what most people care the most about that franchise is the setting vs the game-play and what the next protagonist will look like. I come to the conclusion that It will be a really good assassin Creed the day they really take the time to work on one (and stop lying about the years spend in developing a game) and stop promoting them for pre-oder sale based upon eye candy's scripted E3 show case demos.

rprkjj
08-10-2014, 07:31 AM
You honestly it won't change much since what most people care the most about that franchise is the setting vs the game-play and what the next protagonist will look like. I come to the conclusion that It will be a really good assassin Creed the day they really take the time to work on one (and stop lying about the years spend in developing a game) and stop promoting them for pre-oder sale based upon eye candy's scripted E3 show case demos.

I don't think Ubisoft is lying about their dev cycles.

Sesheenku
08-10-2014, 07:43 AM

Perhaps but I'm dead serious, if Unity isn't at the absolute least better than 3 and 4 noticeably then I'm simply done for good.

I won't stick around for a company that doesn't respect their players enough to put the proper passion and effort that we expect.

Landruner
08-10-2014, 03:07 PM
I don't think Ubisoft is lying about their dev cycles.

There is a difference between having an idea for a project and really starting working on for the project - For Unity they claimed that they started working on it after ACB (2010), which I doubt since apparently the story had not been finally before the end of 2012 . Then they started to work on the game-play when they got the tools for the new systems. It usually take barely 2 years to make an assassin Creed, the only one that took longer was AC3 (story concept and game development) but they could not work on it before the Anvil next was fully optimized.

For most of the other game developments in video gaming industry, games are usually worked and developed on PC with PC tools and then re-worked for consoles, However; apparently Ubisoft does the opposite with that franchise - AC Games are developed for consoles first, and then optimized for PC.

Assassin's Creed games are honestly worked (A la chaine/ Assembly Line) a bit like an automotive factory with each section of that factory working specifically on only a specific part of the cars after getting the different piece from around the world.

For each game they use up to at least 10 studios which each are focusing only on some part of the game each.
Then once they get the work from the different studios as a puzzle game they fix the all elements gotten from each studio in order the fit the all together (Ubisoft Montreal Studio). If something does not fit or does not work, it is tossed away or dropped.

For AC4 BF the game had been developed by several studios for 360 and PS3 first by the end of 2012 - Dewitt had finished writing the story by around September 2012 and they used some of the assets from the previous game (AC3) for the Naval - Ubsioft Shanghai are in fact the only one that started working on AC4BF sooner since they had been asked to optimize the naval game-play they elaborated for AC3) - Then once the AC4 final product could fly, they just then ported the final product to XBO and PS4 and PC.

Like I wrote above they started Unity development when they got the "Next gen tools" which was current 2013.

Trust me one thing is sure, with that process Ubisoft really matches the name of "video game industry" for its games.:p

Note: In writing that above, I am not smarter than anyone else, I just happen to read a lot and I meet a lot of people from that industry and I ask question about my favorite game(s) franchise - that is all!

m4r-k7
08-10-2014, 03:23 PM

Lol however bad the game is you will still buy the next one. You are part of an assassins creed forum so you obviousily love the franchise and so however bad it is you will continue to play it. I have heard this many times.

Landruner
08-10-2014, 03:34 PM
Lol however bad the game is you will still buy the next one. You are part of an assassins creed forum so you obviousily love the franchise and so however bad it is you will continue to play it. I have heard this many times.

I do not come in the defense of someone there but try to make a point - In real life, you can still be in love with someone and complaining about things that do not work, and if it get worse still jerked about the wish of separating for those reasons, but it does not mean that you gave up on this love, in real life you still keep hopes...at least until it really brakes....

The dude that you replied is on that forum since 2009 and you since May 2014 and in 2 months you have almost more posts than he wrote in 5 years, meaning that when it comes there, it is because he has always something good to say/write - respect his opinion.

Megas_Doux
08-10-2014, 03:47 PM
New York City is getting revamped, and the Atlantic north and Appalachian River Valley sound way more interesting than Paris.

Based of this pic

http://media1.gameinformer.com/filestorage/CommunityServer.Components.SiteFiles/imagefeed/featured/ubisoft2014/498054860/Assassins_Creed_Rogue_Screenshot_NY.jpg

It looks EXACTLY the same! I would have give them credit about the "revamped thing" if, I dont know, you access buildings a la Unity, or you could see bigger crowds, but NO! The only difference is the absence of the burnt parts.

And, I know is a matter of tastes, the Appalachian river "way more interesting" than FREAKING PARIS!?????????!!!! More interesting than crowds of thousands of people, huge cathedrals and palaces in which you can go inside "seamlessly", more interesting than the new parkour, the black box mission design, customizations options, more interesting than the French revolution??????????

And dont get me wrong, AC IV is my favorite gameplay wise and I am trying to hype the least about Unity, but I just cant see how....

http://th08.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2014/182/1/8/assassin_s_creed_unity___wallpaper_arno_paris__2_b y_zeioh-d7ouzrl.jpg

And I know both are bullshots ,mostly the second one.

marvelfannumber
08-10-2014, 04:03 PM
@Megas

Ikr? I was super dissapointed they went with New York AGAIN, I mean don't get me wrong it's a setting that has potential, but not in the 18th century AGAIN.

I feel like they wasted an oppurtunity for a good setting with putting it in there again.

Landruner
08-10-2014, 04:05 PM
@Megas_doux - I see your point, and I just hope that both games shine in their respective domain and gameplay. I just hope that the revamped parts of NY are more intuitive and interactive than the ones from AC3 and that they removed or reduced those too many (way too much) guards from the roofs.... LOL! In AC3 it will have been okay if they used the cities like they did in AC2.ACB like of mysterious "dungeon" to explore and not replacing those by that boring "wanabee" underground that could have been interesting if they only took the time to work on it seriously and not like a past time filler , I agree that it would give more I Interesting parts if we could visit some buildings in AC3/4 as well.

The ground of AC3 cities were plenty enough and interesting, alas they did not use it for blending strategy like they could have

in fact in AC3 (and even AC4BF) they were so many missed game-play's opportunities with the cities that I always wish that they remake them for better appreciation.

m4r-k7
08-10-2014, 04:07 PM
Meh I am getting the feeling Rogue has had the shortest dev time ever and they are just using AC 4's assets (with AC 3's New York) with very new features.
You can't compare Rogue's gameplay and setting with Unity's IMO
The only interesting thing so far about Rogue is the story and I am still not sure they will execute it well.

But thats me being negative. I hope it turns out great! But Unity looks 100x better xD

marvelfannumber
08-10-2014, 04:11 PM
@m4r-k7

So it will basically just be Revelations 2.0?

Good story, more of the same gameplay wise.

m4r-k7
08-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Atleast Revelations had a new city that looked unique. In my opinion it will be Brotherhood 2.0 but I know loads of people loved Brotherhood.

marvelfannumber
08-10-2014, 04:13 PM
Atleast Revelations had a new city that looked unique. In my opinion it will be Brotherhood 2.0 but I know loads of people loved Brotherhood.

But Brotherhood had the worst story so?

It's FUSION TIME!

ze_topazio
08-10-2014, 04:14 PM
AC3 had the worst story.

m4r-k7
08-10-2014, 04:15 PM
Its a conspiracy! AC R = rogue / revelations. AC RO = rogue + bro
AC Rogue = brotherhood + revelations confirmed

Aphex_Tim
08-10-2014, 04:17 PM
AC3 had the worst story.

AC3 had the worst storyTELLING. ;)

Xstantin
08-10-2014, 04:17 PM
I think Revelations is pretty underrated. When it comes to Rogue and Unity, both settings sound interesting imo. Personally, I'd take frozen wasteland over pretty Caribbean islands, but the scale of Paris, multiple landmarks and crowds will probably set the bar really high for the series.

marvelfannumber
08-10-2014, 04:19 PM
Its a conspiracy! AC R = rogue / revelations. AC RO = rogue + bro
AC Rogue = brotherhood + revelations confirmed

Oh my god, it's almost like they had it planned out ahead of time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3ZOKDmorj0

To me that would be AC1 actually (well presentation wise atleast).

m4r-k7
08-10-2014, 04:21 PM
Aliens

THE_JOKE_KING33
08-10-2014, 04:59 PM
Looks like I'm gonna have to start practicing with the new fighting as soon as I start playing (hates stealth).

jayjay275
08-10-2014, 05:44 PM
I actually thought AC3's story was probably the best. It could've been told much better, but it is still my favourite.

AherasSTRG
08-10-2014, 06:07 PM
I only thought that AC3's ending was badly told. The rest of the story was being presented in a beautiful manner. Oh, apart from the part "All of them have to die, including my father"...

EDIT: Could Achilles reply "Especially your father" refer to Rogue??? o.0

Sesheenku
08-10-2014, 07:01 PM

Trust me. Shin Megami Tensei online was my favorite game for like 3 years. I played it non-stop, I even accepted their abusive pay to win crap. I spent like 500 dollars in one day once because they had a sale that gave me an opportunity to finally make my character powerful and by powerful I mean on par with the rest of my clan and the other players.

Even then it wasn't enough.

I played for several more years, trying to scrape in game money, trying to keep my gear repaired which was expensive as all hell. Then finally one day I absolutely needed to upgrade my guns. I NEEDED a gun that runs 15 million in game money (A ton of money) it was absolutely impossible to find, I had scraped together the money but I couldn't find it. Know why?

Cause the company is a ******, they purposefully put limited items in the economy, allow their prices to inflate and allow the supply to dwindle to near nothing and make it nearly impossible for any player that hasn't been there paying them since closed beta to ever make a fully complete gear set for their character. I needed items that weren't even in circulation anymore.

I'd had enough, I gave my items to my friends who told me the same as you, "Oh you'll be back, I'm sure of it!" I told them no. I most certainly will not.

I didn't come back, the game closed even.

I will not take abuse from game companies. My love for the AC series has indeed brought me this far, but I'm no fool, I will only allow them to kick me so many times before I give them the middle finger and take my business else where.

pacmanate
08-10-2014, 07:34 PM
I actually thought AC3's story was probably the best. It could've been told much better, but it is still my favourite.

Everything could have been better IMO, if they used the American Revolution as a backdrop rather than a premise for the story it would have been better.

The father being a Templar and son being an Assassin concept could have been great, and those were my favourite parts of AC3. Shame it was just shoved near the end of the game.

JustPlainQuirky
08-10-2014, 07:36 PM
I loved AC3's storytelling.

EDIT: Could Achilles reply "Especially your father" refer to Rogue??? o.0

I thought so too

Jexx21
08-10-2014, 07:38 PM
and it had the best story

pacmanate
08-10-2014, 08:14 PM

Which doesnt matter if the deliverance is crap.

It's like having a Slipknot album produced by Jason Freese.

rprkjj
08-10-2014, 08:36 PM

I actually kind of agree with this. Partially. I think 2 and 3 tie in the actual story department, obviously in different ways. But I think Ezio's story was presented much better, it also had a better ending imo, at least in the historical aspect. The modern day ending was slightly above AC3's, but they both weren't great.

Jexx21
08-10-2014, 08:57 PM

I don't understand that reference and don't want to.

In my opinion..

Story:
1. AC3
2. AC4
3. ACR/ACFC
4. AC2/AC1/ACL
5. ACB

Execution:
1. AC2/ACB
2. ACR/AC4
3. AC1/ACFC
4. AC3/ACL

pacmanate
08-10-2014, 09:08 PM
I don't understand that reference and don't want to.

lol y not?

Jexx21
08-10-2014, 09:14 PM
I know slipknot is some sort of heavy metal band and I don't like heavy metal

pacmanate
08-10-2014, 09:15 PM
I know slipknot is some sort of heavy metal band and I don't like heavy metal

... it was explaining how execution is key. Nevermind.

For the record, I don't either. Slipknot is heavy metal, Jason Freese produces pop music.

aznassassin159
08-10-2014, 09:19 PM

Pretty much. Plus, it's hard to get invested in the story when the main character had the personality of a brick.

IMO, AC1 had the best story through its grounded unintrusive dialogue/cutscenes, and because it saved all that ancient aliens nonsense for the very end. Plus the main character had an actual arc (further reinforced in ACR).

Shahkulu101
08-10-2014, 09:20 PM
Pretty much. Plus, it's hard to get invested in the story when the main character had the personality of a brick.

No he didn't. That's just factually wrong and you know it.

Jexx21
08-10-2014, 09:24 PM
IMO, AC1 had the best story through its grounded unintrusive dialogue/cutscenes.

that's what made it's execution pretty bad for me. it made the game pretty boring. actual cutscenes would have made it more interesting.

Assassin_M
08-10-2014, 09:45 PM
when the main character had the personality of a brick.
One minor problem, though...he didn't.

aznassassin159
08-10-2014, 09:55 PM
One minor problem, though...he didn't.

No he didn't. That's just factually wrong and you know it.
Nupe.

that's what made it's execution pretty bad for me. it made the game pretty boring. actual cutscenes would have made it more interesting.
I personally loved them. Smooth transitions between gameplay and cutscenes + agency over your character/camera angle made me feel I was part of the game and not being forcefully dragged out everytime the game tries to tell a story. Sure, some of the cutscenes were drawn out with too much dialogue, but I blame that on the convoluted premise of ancestral memories and Piece of Eden drivel.

The later games tried to go for more cinematic cutscenes, which feel more jarring and obtrusive.

Shahkulu101
08-10-2014, 09:58 PM
>Making factually wrong statements

Keep on keepin on, buddy

Jexx21
08-10-2014, 09:59 PM
I actually felt like the gameplay cutscenes were more jarring than actual cutscenes would be. It kept me in a "game" experience, rather then letting me actually pay attention to the story. It's one of the reasons why I don't like extensive dialogue in tailing sequences, or the walk and talk sequences (barring the ACR ones where Ezio would actually automatically walk alongside Yusuf or whoever he's talking with and I wouldn't need to do anything).

JustPlainQuirky
08-10-2014, 10:02 PM
It's his opinion. You can't be factually wrong about an opinion...

Assassin_M
08-10-2014, 10:02 PM
Nupe.
sure...

It's his opinion. You can't be factually wrong about an opinion...
Did Connor have the personality of a brick? No, Mayrice, he did not.

JustPlainQuirky
08-10-2014, 10:04 PM
I can see why people would percieve him in that way. Stonecold and not too expressive of emotions.

but like I said, it's opinion.

Jexx21
A brick has no personality.

It's objectively impossible for a person to not have a personality, barring mental disabilities.

Shahkulu101
Ezio had the personality of a fence...

Nuh uh, my opinion u can't deny brutha

JustPlainQuirky
08-10-2014, 10:05 PM
I don't think that's what he meant but alright take it literally.

Assassin_M
08-10-2014, 10:06 PM
I can see why people would percieve him in that way. Stonecold and not too expressive of emotions.

but like I said, it's opinion.
He was pretty expressive. a brick has no personality, it's factually impossible to say that Connor has no personality. it's simply wrong. an opinion can be wrong.

If I say that Ezio had the personality of a vegetable, i'd be wrong, even if it did seem like an opinion.

aznassassin159
08-10-2014, 10:08 PM
Ezio had the personality of a fence...

Considering how I found him as interesting as a fence, I can vouch for that.

Sesheenku
08-10-2014, 10:11 PM
Did Connor have the personality of a brick? No, Mayrice, he did not.

How is that wrong? I don't think anyone says that he literally lacks personality in the way that a brick does. It's English, that's how English is.

It's raining cats and dogs, that's pretty ugly, you're as stupid as a sack of potatoes, you have as much personality as a brick.

So what is the argument here?

How is he wrong to state than in his opinion Connor's personality is so terrible or seems to be nonexistent to the point where he is comparable to a brick.

Someone kindly explain cause I'm totally confused here. Why can't someone say he has the personality of a brick in the English language which is almost never meant to be taken at face value?

That leads to it being an opinion and NO. That kind of opinion cannot be prove wrong because it's 100% subjective.

Hitler wanting to kill the jews on the other hand is most certainly an opinion that is wrong. For an opinion to be wrong it has to usually be ludicrous and nonsensical.

Here the poster is just expressing his disdain for Connor's personality. Just like many people compare the personalities of characters in early anime shows to inanimate objects. Because they lack anything truly distinctive or unique.

As for personality this is the definition of personality.

"the combination of characteristics or qualities that form an individual's distinctive character."

If that's the case any human being technically has a personality but saying that someone has no personality in English is equivalent to saying that they feel the personality is ****ty.

aznassassin159
08-10-2014, 10:12 PM
Oh dear god, what have I done!?

JustPlainQuirky
08-10-2014, 10:14 PM
Sesh gets it

killzab
08-10-2014, 10:15 PM
Well, people here like to disrespect other people's opinions, saying they're FACTUALLY wrong , and purposefully ignoring idioms in order to mock said opinion and twist it to their advantage

Assassin_M
08-10-2014, 10:16 PM
How is that wrong? I don't think anyone says that he literally lacks personality in the way that a brick does. It's English, that's how English is.

It's raining cats and dogs, that's pretty ugly, you're as stupid as a sack of potatoes, you have as much personality as a brick.

So what is the argument here?

How is he wrong to state than in his opinion Connor's personality is so terrible or seems to be nonexistent to the point where he is comparable to a brick.

Someone kindly explain cause I'm totally confused here. Why can't someone say he has the personality of a brick in the English language which is almost never meant to be taken at face value?

That leads to it being an opinion and NO. That kind of opinion cannot be prove wrong because it's 100% subjective.

Hitler wanting to kill the jews on the other hand is most certainly an opinion that is wrong. For an opinion to be wrong it has to usually be ludicrous and nonsensical.

Here the poster is just expressing his disdain for Connor's personality. Just like many people compare the personalities of character in early anime shows to inanimate objects. Because they lack anything truly distinctive or unique.

As for personality this is the definition of personality.

"the combination of characteristics or qualities that form an individual's distinctive character."

If that's the case any human being technically has a personality but saying that someone has no personality in English is equivalent to saying that they feel the personality is ****ty.
He still didn't have the personality of a brick, not really...

Well, people here like to disrespect other people's opinions, saying they're FACTUALLY wrong , and purposefully ignoring idioms in order to mock said opinion and twist it to their advantage
No, they don't.

Jexx21
08-10-2014, 10:17 PM
Sesh gets it

I got it too, I was just explaining what M and Shahk were saying.

I was talking about how I thought AC1's cutscenes took me out of the story.

Sesheenku
08-10-2014, 10:18 PM
He still didn't have the personality of a brick, not really...

Is that your opinion or are you trying to say that he isn't entirely comparable to a brick?

If it's your opinion fine but someone can say he's comparable to a brick without literally meaning his personality is the equivalent of a brick.

Shahkulu101
08-10-2014, 10:18 PM

His opinion deserves no respect as it has no merit

And you always disrespect other peoples opinions

Xstantin
08-10-2014, 10:20 PM
Do you really kick the bucket when you die?

Sesheenku
08-10-2014, 10:21 PM

You can't say that as a fact, that is based on 100% subjectivity.

Sorry bro that doesn't work in any sensible debate.

You don't have the authority to say such an opinion has no merit as it isn't something ludicrous.

The only time an opinion is wrong is when it's off the wall. Again like saying that you think all gay people should be forced to live in an isolated section of every state because you don't like them.

That opinion is wrong. Saying Connor has the personality of a brick is not entirely literal and is perfectly valid as an opinion.

killzab
08-10-2014, 10:21 PM

Yeah sure, so because it doesn't suit you, his opinion doesn't deserve respect ? that's rich.

JustPlainQuirky
08-10-2014, 10:22 PM

Hitler deserves no respect.

A man giving his honest opinion regarding a fictional character deserves respect.

IMO

Sesheenku
08-10-2014, 10:23 PM
Hitler deserves no respect.

A man giving his honest opinion regarding a fictional character deserves respect.

IMO

That's not opinion Mayrice, that's sensible debating for human beings 101.

It should be default behavior for anyone wishing to be taken serious.

Assassin_M
08-10-2014, 10:23 PM
That opinion is wrong. Saying Connor has the personality of a brick is not entirely literal and is perfectly valid as an opinion.

That's not opinion Mayrice, that's sensible debating for human beings 101.

It should be default behavior for anyone wishing to be taken serious.
double standards.

Sesheenku
08-10-2014, 10:24 PM
double standards.

Where is the double standard? I'm attacking your complete lack of attention to sensible debating not your opinion, I didn't even state an opinion on Connor.

C'mon M I thought you were better than this.

Or perhaps you're talking about what I said with Hitler, very well then please find me a mentally sane individual who agrees with Hitler. His opinion is wrong because it brings harm and society knows it is objectively wrong to go and kill people just because you don't like them.

Here a poster is comparing a personality to a brick which is not entirely literal, there is no way for this to be factually wrong and you cannot prove it because the evidence is subjective. There is no concrete objective evidence in which everyone can sensibly agree that Connor does or doesn't have a personality like a brick.

killzab
08-10-2014, 10:25 PM
Where is the double standard? I'm attacking your complete lack of attention to sensible debating not your opinion, I didn't even state an opinion.

C'mon M I thought you were better than this.

You should know better ... I've known him for several years and I've given up a long time ago ...

I keep coming to these forums, hoping they'll get better, but they don't.

Fortunately, some people here are still worth my time ... like Mayrice or Sheseenku

JustPlainQuirky
08-10-2014, 10:27 PM
Let people think Connor has the personality of a brick.

I see it. I disagree with it -to an extent- but i see it.

And I respect the opinions of those who agree and disagree.

Regardless, I still love Connor despite how people interpret/view his character.

And god this has god way off topic I just noticed.

Shahkulu101
08-10-2014, 10:28 PM
You can't say that as a fact, that is based on 100% subjectivity.

Sorry bro that doesn't work in any sensible debate.

You don't have the authority to say such an opinion has no merit as it isn't something ludicrous.

The only time an opinion is wrong is when it's off the wall. Again like saying that you think all gay people should be forced to live in an isolated section of every state because you don't like them.

I respect his right to an opinion, I find it stupid so I will say as such.

Am I not allowed to disagree?

And yes Killzab, I disagree with his opinion so I don't respect it. What the hell is wrong with that? What he's saying, to me, is stupid. I have the right to call it stupid. I respect anyone's right to an opinion, but if that opinion is stupid I have the right to say so.

JustPlainQuirky
08-10-2014, 10:29 PM

And yes Killzab, I disagree with his opinion so I don't respect it. What the hell is wrong with that? What he's saying, to me, is stupid. I have the right to call it stupid. I respect anyone's right to an opinion, but if that opinion is stupid I have the right to say so.

Disagreeing with an opinion is one thing.

Saying it's factually wrong is another.

Sesheenku
08-10-2014, 10:29 PM

You can consider it stupid but to say it has no merit is a step above that, it's saying that it has no validity.

If you think it's stupid that's fine, you have a right to that opinion ;P be careful of what words you choose though.

Assassin_M
08-10-2014, 10:30 PM
You should know better ... I've known him for several years and I've given up a long time ago ...
You don't know me. Who are you?

semantics

killzab
08-10-2014, 10:31 PM

It is wrong, because you insult his opinion, you can disagree with his opinion, but not insult it and by extension, insult him/ his intellect.

You don't know me. Who are you?

I know you're "forums identity" if you prefer ... I don't know you personally ... still taking things extremely literally I see !

Shahkulu101
08-10-2014, 10:31 PM

Okay whatever, but I don't have to respect everybody's opinion. If I think an argument has no merit, that too is subjective.

Killzab: I believe it holds no merit because I have never heard a compelling argument supporting it - and I'm not insulting anyone. I'm saying what he said was stupid, because I think it is. That one thing he said - I think has no merit...

You're all too sensitive.

Sesheenku
08-10-2014, 10:32 PM
Okay whatever, but I don't have to respect everybody's opinion. If I think an argument has no merit, that too is subjective.

Saying an opinion has no validity without concrete objective proof is arrogance.

Assassin_M
08-10-2014, 10:35 PM
I know you're "forums identity" if you prefer ... I don't know you personally ... still taking things extremely literally I see !

You'v given me no reason to think your posts have depth, I don't see any reason to think so now and look at them any other way than literally.

Saying an opinion has no validity without concrete objective proof is arrogance.
So like saying Connor has the personality of a brick without concrete objective proof?

killzab
08-10-2014, 10:35 PM

Yeah , but these forums are full of arrogant people who think they know better than everyone, and they feel the need to "correct the ignorants' wrong ideas"

Shahkulu101
08-10-2014, 10:36 PM

Saying Connor is a brick without objective concrete proof is arrogance - and therefore stupid and baseless. It holds no merit.

Killzab: this forum is full of insecure people who can't have a debate with someone without feeling victimised.

Jexx21
08-10-2014, 10:38 PM
You're all too sensitive.

there's no such thing as being too sensitive

why should someone be admonished for being hurt by someone. It's like being punished for being insulted.

there is such a thing as not thinking about how your words may affect others.

JustPlainQuirky
08-10-2014, 10:39 PM
Do people really have to post a paragraph explaining why they find a character uninteresting or bland?

i don't think so. And I don't think their opinion should be considered factually incorrect because of that.

That's just how i see it.

Shahkulu101
08-10-2014, 10:39 PM
there's no such thing as being too sensitive

why should someone be admonished for being hurt by someone. It's like being punished for being insulted.

there is such a thing as not thinking about how your words may affect others.

Yes there is.

I disagreed with a opinion and said I didn't respect it.

And people are acting like I called the guy Hitler.

Assassin_M
08-10-2014, 10:41 PM
Do people really have to post a paragraph explaining why they find a character uninteresting or bland?

i don't think so. And I don't think their opinion should be considered factually incorrect because of that.

It's an internet forum. By expressing an opinion, you're giving free pass for others to challenge it and ask for an explanation.

killzab

Honestly, these forums are among the worst I know ... you have to justify every single word you say, like you're writing an essay.

What if I just want to talk about AC casually ? without having someone saying my opinion is stupid and hollow or whatever ?

Jexx21
Yes there is.

I disagreed with a opinion and said I didn't respect it.

And people are acting like I called the guy Hitler.

so your solutions are:

1. be more gentle towards those people
2. deal with it and wait until they're hardened

Xstantin
08-10-2014, 10:42 PM
Is it all because of the idiom recognition?

JustPlainQuirky
08-10-2014, 10:42 PM
Tbh I'm just tired of seeing people on the forums saying people who don't like Connor just don't understand his character.

People percieve characters differently.

@killzab

yeah it's really annoying.

i prefer my words short and sweet so it's even harder for me.

@M

yes but it gets annoying when questioning every non-connor fan turns into an interrogation

Shahkulu101
08-10-2014, 10:44 PM
Honestly, these forums are among the worst I know ... you have to justify every single word you say, like you're writing an essay.

What if I just want to talk about AC casually ? without having someone saying my opinion is stupid and hollow or whatever ?

What on Earth is wrong with challenging somebody's opinion? Especially when that opinion is an insult, and baseless. People cry when their opinions are challenged.

A forum is for debate!

Jexx21
08-10-2014, 10:45 PM
Tbh I'm just tired of seeing people on the forums saying people who don't like Connor just don't understand his character.

it's fair to presume that a large amount of people who dislike the character of Connor don't really understand his story or personality though. AC3's story wasn't the most well communicated.

Sesheenku
08-10-2014, 10:45 PM
It's an internet forum. By expressing an opinion, you're giving free pass for others to challenge it and ask for an explanation.

A challenge is more like "That doesn't make sense to me, explain what you mean."

Not "your opinion has no merit."

@Shahkulu

Nobody likes that because it's essentially arrogance in the way you worded it, you basically said his opinion is invalid. The way you said it leads to this rather than a healthy debate.

JustPlainQuirky
08-10-2014, 10:46 PM
it's fair to presume that a large amount of people who dislike the character of Connor don't really understand his story or personality though. AC3's story wasn't the most well communicated.

Yeah but I feel it's gotten to the point where some people think you can't possibly dislike connor's character without somehow "misinterpeting" him or "not understanding" him.

I love Connor but some of the posts I've seen....hgnhh

killzab
08-10-2014, 10:46 PM

People percieve characters differently.

@killzab

yeah it's really annoying.

i prefer my words short and sweet so it's even harder for me.

I feel like if you're not eloquent, you're worthless here. Well, I'm sorry , I'm not a native english speaker, I'm a science person , I don't like words and I don't like typing long paragraphs so sorry if my posts aren't deep enough for you guys !

What on Earth is wrong with challenging somebody's opinion? Especially when that opinion is an insult, and baseless. People cry when their opinions are challenged.

A forum is for debate!

Not necessarily ! It is for communicating , not necessarily fulfill someone's superiority complex

JustPlainQuirky
08-10-2014, 10:48 PM
@killzab

I agree.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT

this has gotten way derailed and off-topic.

Imma bounce incase the infraction train comes in.

Jexx21
08-10-2014, 10:48 PM
Yeah but I feel it's gotten to the point where some people think you can't possibly dislike connor's character without somehow "misinterpeting" him or "not understanding" him.

I love Connor but some of the posts I've seen....hgnhh

I agree with that.

why are we even discussing Connor anymore anyway.

It's been almost 2 years since his game. We should be talking about Arno and Shay and Elise.

Shahkulu101
08-10-2014, 10:49 PM
A challenge is more like "That doesn't make sense to me, explain what you mean."

@Shahkulu

Nobody likes that because it's essentially arrogance in the way you worded it, you basically said his opinion is invalid.

Because I think it is invalid, and I responded to a hostile post regarding Connor with hostility...sacrilege! If every one held hands and agreed with everybody well this would be a terrible forum.

And now we have people complaining at the fact that they can't make baseless statements without being challenged. "Oh boo-hoo! People are trying to argue against my opinion that I have no proof to support!"

Killzab, it's not that if you aren't eloquent it's just that...gasp...if you make points that can be disproven then sometimes - shockingly - they are disproven! And people can't take their opinion not being treated like the bible and play the victim.

Sesheenku
08-10-2014, 10:50 PM
I agree with that.

why are we even discussing Connor anymore anyway.

It's been almost 2 years since his game. We should be talking about Arno and Shay and Elise.

Ah, it's the nature of things. We have more information on Connor than Arno and then on top of that he split the fan base on whether he was likeable or not. Naturally it's something we'll return to often.

Because I think it is invalid, and I responded to a hostile post regarding Connor with hostility...sacrilege! If every one held hands and agreed with everybody well this would be a terrible forum.

And now we have people complaining at the fact that they can't make baseless statements without being challenged. "Oh boo-hoo! People are trying to argue against my opinion that I have no proof to support!"

Thinking it is invalid is foolish though, you don't have the authority to deem it invalid, nobody does because it's subjective.

So basically you're saying you got upset someone insulted your favorite imaginary character and you jumped to their defense?

Personally I never said people can make baseless statements but your challenge was rude, there's plenty of ways to challenge an opinion without saying, nope your opinion is invalid.

That's as I said, arrogant and disrespectful.

Assassin_M
08-10-2014, 10:52 PM

That's subjective...both are challenging...besides, that's not what either of us said at first, we just said he doesn't have the personality of a brick and then all you guys jumped up and down about how he wasn't being literal..how do any of you even know? He just disappeared and never backed himself up.

it's funny that you guys come here saying "oh, he doesnt have to do anything, he doesnt have to explain himself" it's a PUBLIC INTERNET forum, this is bound to happen--if you can't then quite frankly it's not the place for you.

Shahkulu101
08-10-2014, 10:54 PM
I feel like if you're not eloquent, you're worthless here. Well, I'm sorry , I'm not a native english speaker, I'm a science person , I don't like words and I don't like typing long paragraphs so sorry if my posts aren't deep enough for you guys !

Not necessarily ! It is for communicating , not necessarily fulfill someone's superiority complex

Fulfilling somebody's superiority complex somehow equates to debating with someone when they make a baseless claim? Okay then.

Jexx21
08-10-2014, 10:55 PM
So, Unity's new gameplay features are pretty great right?

I mean, I love the new parkour, the stealth mode is cool and I think that the "last known position mechanic" makes more sense in AC than in Splinter Cell in terms of a lore to HUD/UI sense, and the combat improvements are looking good.

Sesheenku
08-10-2014, 10:55 PM
That's subjective...both are challenging...besides, that's not what either of us said at first, we just said he doesn't have the personality of a brick and then all you guys jumped up and down about how he wasn't being literal..how do any of you even know? He just disappeared and never backed himself up.

Saying it has no validity is disrespectful. Period. Finally who says such things literally? It's simply not the nature of English.

it's funny that you guys come here saying "oh, he doesnt have to do anything, he doesnt have to explain himself" it's a PUBLIC INTERNET forum, this is bound to happen--if you can't then quite frankly it's not the place for you.

You know I didn't say that myself, I said the opposite, I merely said that the challenge was disrespectful.

Assassin_M
08-10-2014, 10:58 PM
Saying it has no validity is disrespectful. Period. Finally who says such things literally? It's simply not the nature of English.
You know I didn't say that myself, I said the opposite, I merely said that the challenge was disrespectful.
It's still a challenge, I don't consider it disrespectful just like you don't consider profanity to be an implication of rage. I'v met people who mean these things literally, unless I see your doctrate in the English, I wont take your comment at face value, sorry.

Assassin_M
08-10-2014, 10:59 PM
So, Unity's new gameplay features are pretty great right?

I mean, I love the new parkour, the stealth mode is cool and I think that the "last known position mechanic" makes more sense in AC than in Splinter Cell in terms of a lore to HUD/UI sense, and the combat improvements are looking good.
I'm pretty eager about the combat. Every time I watch it, I don't understand what's "different" about it...it looks the same..Maybe i have to play it.

Sesheenku
08-10-2014, 11:01 PM

Jexx21
08-10-2014, 11:01 PM
Well, counter kills are gone. There's just a basic system of attack, parry, dodge. Enemies are supposed to attack more than one at a time, and not in a way that sets up for a double counter-kill :P

Sesheenku
08-10-2014, 11:03 PM
Well, counter kills are gone. There's just a basic system of attack, parry, dodge. Enemies are supposed to attack more than one at a time, and not in a way that sets up for a double counter-kill :P

I just hope parry doesn't become a manual counter, where they're stunned and you just proceed to kill them anyways.

It's still a challenge, I don't consider it disrespectful just like you don't consider profanity to be an implication of rage. I'v met people who mean these things literally, unless I see your doctrate in the English, I wont take your comment at face value, sorry.

My opinion on profanity probably hold a lot less weight considering most people don't think that way.

On the other hand to say an opinion is invalid outright without explanation on top of all that is going too far in healthy debate.

rprkjj
08-10-2014, 11:03 PM
This whole argument is just semantics.

Jexx21
08-10-2014, 11:04 PM
Well, even that would potentially be better than what we had before..

Sesheenku
08-10-2014, 11:06 PM
Well, even that would potentially be better than what we had before..

True but I'd prefer something a bit more then that, I suppose at least it will open up the enemy to more than just attacks which adds some depth at least.

This whole argument is just semantics.

At this point I suppose you're right.

killzab
08-10-2014, 11:06 PM

As long as combat is marginally better than Black Flag's, then it's ok. It was the worst in the series IMO.