PDA

View Full Version : Guard Goofs

LoyalACFan
08-08-2014, 06:28 AM
So, the enemy AI in these games has never been particularly stellar. Sometimes this makes for a frustratingly simplistic game that doesn't have deep enough challenges to keep players engaged, while sometimes it provides for endless entertainment by manipulating the utter stupidity of those you're up against. This thread focuses on the latter.

For instance, I'm currently midway through a third playthrough of AC4, and I'm now on the part where you sneak through the swamp following the rowboat in Charlestown. I reached the on-foot segment, leaving the Jackdaw behind, and leapt to the top of a broken wall. Beneath me were two chatting Redcoats with their backs turned to me (easy pickings for an air assassination of I timed it right), a few feet past them was a campfire, and a few feet past them was... Crap, a patrolling guard who turned to see me on my perch. I dropped into a ledge hang behind the wall, and he came forward to investigate. This is actually relatively astute behavior coming from an AC enemy... Until he reached the fire. Apparently the guards aren't programmed to avoid open flames, because the bastard made a beeline for me and marched right into the bonfire, burning to death right in front of the two other guards who seemed not to notice whatsoever and carried on with their pleasant conversation.

So yeah. Anybody else have any entertaining anecdotes of hilarious guard idiocy?

Sesheenku
08-08-2014, 06:44 AM
Man I just recently replayed 1 all the way to the earliest parts of 3 right now.

I always get a kick in brotherhood during the flying machine mission where you can jump in the haystack in the restricted area, stab the guard in the face while the other guards is looking straight at you and he'll just continue his patrol cycle as you drag his comrades body into the cart like nothing happened. You can replicate this almost every time and at least once in every Ezio saga game.

Several times in AC2 and ACR I've had guards stand there and do absolutely nothing while I'm standing directly in front of them on rooftops, I can even whip out my sword and give em a whack and they just stand idly by.

Just now in 3 I was tailing Haythams accomplice just before the Boston Massacre occurs and while blending instead of turning the corner into the first alley way he'll just walk back and forth slowly until you inch close enough. Seriously you can do it all day.

This also happens a lot in the Ezio saga with roof top guards once you're spotted, they'll try to get to your height level and just keep jumping eternally between the same two objects until you move.

Several times in AC3 while running past guards on rooftops and pushing them off during combat they get stuck between the poles, signs, and planks that Connor parkours on being and I mean stuck, like the clip through it and then become solid halfway through.

Finally one that's not a glitch but is nonetheless entertaining, in AC2 on ANY roof guard, you can run up to them and beat the **** out of them with your fists if you're quick enough and they won't even be able to draw their weapon.

Just run up and start punching and they'll be totally and amusingly helpless.

Ureh
08-08-2014, 07:51 AM
Another one is when we can prevent guards from pulling themselves up a ledge by standing directly above them. They'll stare at you for a few seconds, shout a few lines, then let go and fall to their deaths. Especially funny in the Ezio games. :p

And guards and ladders don't work well together:
http://youtu.be/edft8qPkKTM?t=2m18s

jeordievera
08-08-2014, 07:58 AM
Another one is when we can prevent guards from pulling themselves up a ledge by standing directly above them. They'll stare at you for a few seconds, shout a few lines, then let go and fall to their deaths. Especially funny in the Ezio games. :p

And guards and ladders don't work well together:
http://youtu.be/edft8qPkKTM?t=2m18s

LOL

In the part of TOKW when you have to 'steal' the Aquila from a port and tons of guards are after you I would just hang on the edge of a wharf and all the guards would jump into the water.
Also all the guards are probably related to Altair as none of them can swim :)

poptartz20
08-08-2014, 08:21 AM
Oh.. AI. One day it will improve. Haha. I've had guards in mid chase just stop and turn around. Haha. Or when they just Randomly appear out of nowhere. always fun!

Aphex_Tim
08-08-2014, 08:45 AM
Lots of silly guard stuff going on here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NlhOzOQAAw

jeordievera
08-08-2014, 09:02 AM

Hahaha that dolphin, I can't!! Yeah Black Flag had lot of glitches. Once I was stuck underneath a ship other time my ship was halfway sunken..

Sesheenku
08-08-2014, 10:35 PM
Hahaha that dolphin, I can't!! Yeah Black Flag had lot of glitches. Once I was stuck underneath a ship other time my ship was halfway sunken..

You're also the devil, many times you can sea your ship rise from the depths of hell as it splits the ocean apart, your crew of course is unaffected.

LoyalACFan
08-08-2014, 10:37 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NlhOzOQAAw

Oh god XD