PDA

View Full Version : Is it crucial AC stay non-ficiton? Spoilers

Legends1997
08-06-2014, 06:44 AM
So obviously AC likes to throw in their own flare in the story but for the most part they like to have realistic history in the game. However I think they will run out of real places to set the game so I had a thought what if AC stepped away from the history book and created a world and history of their own? They could create any city the want, and create any history as well, I know a big attraction for AC is the real historic part of the games however I could care less. I want to explore a huge cities with vast forests and oceans to explore, even with caves, and allow them to create unique characters that can be realistic, just none of it is real. I haven't played AC4 but I guess the evil company is trying to make virtual movies or something, anyways it'd be cool if maybe one of their movies was a unrealistic setting maybe?

Is it crucial AC stay with the realistic history and location?

JustPlainQuirky
08-06-2014, 06:45 AM
However I think they will run out of real places to set the game

I think you're severely underestimating how big the world is.

But I'm not against the idea of a glitchy animus forming a world of mashed up memories. Or taking a trip into the world of TOWCB.

Fatal-Feit
08-06-2014, 06:49 AM
Let's wait for about 20 more titles before worrying about running out of settings.

HDinHB
08-06-2014, 07:02 AM
Yeah, the world is immense and history is vast. We've only visited a tiny fraction of the planet and just a few decades out of thousands of years of history. People will have stopped playing games before they run out of material. TOKW DLC was a quasi-fictional adventure, and they can do more like that in the context of the AC universe, even TWCB like Mayrice says. If Ubi wants to make other games in future or fantasy worlds, they certainly can, but I'm not sure why those would be called Assassin's Creed games.

JustPlainQuirky
08-06-2014, 07:04 AM
^oh god I would kill for another 'super power' AC game.

Just give an assassin a piece of eden that grants super agility and call it a day, Ubi

AdamPearce
08-06-2014, 07:26 AM
OP> What you seek exists, it's called Every Other Game This Industrie Ever Pulled. Go play Final Fantasy or something.

A Brotherhood/ Revelations Apple Misssion would be pretty.

Though nothing better than fighting Juno trough Eve's memory 80 000 B.C ! Do it Ubi ! Just Do It !

Sesheenku
08-06-2014, 07:56 AM
OP> What you seek exists, it's called Every Other Game This Industrie Ever Pulled. Go play Final Fantasy or something.

A Brotherhood/ Revelations Apple Misssion would be pretty.

Though nothing better than fighting Juno trough Eve's memory 80 000 B.C ! Do it Ubi ! Just Do It !

In this last decade it's been the complete opposite actually. An obssession with realistic FPS/Action games.

At least with fantasy you can say that the definition of fantasy is different to everyone, realism has set rules that must be obeyed.

Not that I need a fantasy AC, just pointing that out.

wvstolzing
08-06-2014, 08:48 AM
AC is fiction.

Legends1997
08-06-2014, 10:31 AM
The events that are based around AC are non-fiction, but yes the story of the creed and aliens are fiction.

Legends1997
08-06-2014, 10:44 AM
I think you're severely underestimating how big the world is.

I get the world is big but after Assassins Creed all the other games have about 2 games within the same time period which is perfectly okay but we've seen some very similar maps, and don't get me started on AC4.

AssassinHMS
08-06-2014, 11:14 AM
Of course it's crucial. Do you think people bought all these games because of the "deep" stealth system, the "mediocre" combat mechanics or for the experience of being in the shoes of an Assassin? That was only true until AC1. After that, Ubisoft realized they didn't need good gameplay. All they need is a historically accurate city, a bunch of historical characters, some historical events and a few new side mechanics related to the time period/location. AC is a historical tour, that is why it sells.

RinoTheBouncer
08-06-2014, 11:33 AM
I donít mind any fictional tales told in the realm of Assassinís Creed. In fact, I would warmly welcome a First Civilization setting or a Sumerian setting that has itís foundations built on facts yet the rest is mainly fictional since not much is known about the period. I think a good story is a good story and since itís all about conspiracies, I think they can extrapolate from any non-fiction and build their own fiction.

jeordievera
08-06-2014, 11:51 AM
History is our playground is Ubisoft's motto for AC games and there is so much within the history to explore so I don't see need for fictional world or historical events.

SixKeys
08-06-2014, 12:16 PM
Of course it's crucial. Do you think people bought all these games because of the "deep" stealth system, the "mediocre" combat mechanics or for the experience of being in the shoes of an Assassin? That was only true until AC1. After that, Ubisoft realized they didn't need good gameplay. All they need is a historically accurate city, a bunch of historical characters, some historical events and a few new side mechanics related to the time period/location. AC is a historical tour, that is why it sells.

I see nothing wrong with that.

dxsxhxcx
08-06-2014, 12:27 PM
the reason why AC is so interesting is because it deviates from the formula most games have when it merges elements of the real world (settings and events) with its own story (TWCB, POEs, Assassins, Templars), remove the former and like it was said, all you'll have is what any other game already accomplished.

EmbodyingSeven5
08-06-2014, 12:29 PM
I would love an assassin with more supernatural powers besides eagle vision. and ubisoft I wouldn't blame you if you ACCIDENTLY stole and renamed powers from dishonored.

LatinaC09
08-06-2014, 12:38 PM
For me personally, I love AC because of the historical settings so a fictional setting would be sort of odd. I'm not completely against it (after all, portions of AC are fictional anyway) however I'm not sure it would be the best fit for this game since they already established the historical backdrops as being a major part of the game.

Hans684
08-06-2014, 03:59 PM
Nothing is stoping them, the lore is to big to push down. Nor does it matter if people say "it doesn't feel like AC" or "AC died after the original". The lore is everything and anything. Destroy the lore and you destroy AC.

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Calculations

So yes it's possible.

Xangr8
08-06-2014, 06:47 PM
Yes! It is crucial they stay non-fictious...even to the modern day >_> Or they'll lose me as a fan...

ShoryukenMan
08-06-2014, 07:06 PM

I might be in the minority, but what got me into AC was the parkour and sci fi elements.

@OP. For me, it isn't crucial. But, I doubt we'd see any fantasy AC for a long time. Probably not until there's a reboot of the series. Heck, we'll probably get a modern day AC or a first civ AC before we'd get a fantasy AC.

RinoTheBouncer
08-06-2014, 07:10 PM
I might be in the minority, but what got me into AC was the parkour and sci fi elements.

@OP. For me, it isn't crucial. But, I doubt we'd see any fantasy AC for a long time. Probably not until there's a reboot of the series. Heck, we'll probably get a modern day AC or a first civ AC before we'd get a fantasy AC.

I agree with you. I’m into AC because of the sci-fi elements and especially the modern day and First Civ. stories. I couldn’t care less about living a story of a historical figure that I’ve read about a trillion times in my history book. I mean yes, it’s fun to have a historical tour but to me, I’m there for the story and specifically the interconnected, overarching one.

LoyalACFan
08-06-2014, 07:23 PM
I think they could stand to take a few more liberties with the historical record than they have in the recent games, but the day they make a purely sci-fi fantasy game is they day they jump the shark. Historical tourism is this franchise's strongest and most recognizable asset, and there is so much untapped potential in the history books I would absolutely hate to see them turn their backs on that for some pseudohistorical BS with giant TWCB architecture and superpowers. And they don't NEED to; Napoleonic Wars, Northwest Indian Wars, Imperial China, Victorian London, Ancient Egypt, Babylon, British Raj, Ancient Greek city-states, Spanish Inquisition, Feudal Japan. There, I've given you a decade's worth of AC games (twice that if they make two games per setting, which they could certainly do with any of these) and I could easily keep going. We don't need to scrap real history to keep things fresh.

Sesheenku
08-06-2014, 07:27 PM

This is why they'll never make a 10/10 game their shallow as hell mechanics are repetitive and HOPEFULLY they get their heads out of their asses.

Rugterwyper32
08-06-2014, 08:30 PM
I think they could stand to take a few more liberties with the historical record than they have in the recent games, but the day they make a purely sci-fi fantasy game is they day they jump the shark. Historical tourism is this franchise's strongest and most recognizable asset, and there is so much untapped potential in the history books I would absolutely hate to see them turn their backs on that for some pseudohistorical BS with giant TWCB architecture and superpowers. And they don't NEED to; Napoleonic Wars, Northwest Indian Wars, Imperial China, Victorian London, Ancient Egypt, Babylon, British Raj, Ancient Greek city-states, Spanish Inquisition, Feudal Japan. There, I've given you a decade's worth of AC games (twice that if they make two games per setting, which they could certainly do with any of these) and I could easily keep going. We don't need to scrap real history to keep things fresh.

Pretty much this, yes. The two reasons I got into AC all the way back from AC1: Historical settings I could actually explore (this being the big and main one) and the parkour element. Back when I got into the series, i didn't see the stealth element that much, or if I did, it was in a very "hit, run, hide" kind of way, which was possible thanks to the parkour (the intro CGI video for AC1 was very inspiring in that sense). Let's be honest here, how many games other than this series allow you to actually explore all these historical settings the way AC does rather than being an RTS? Sure, I do love me some RTS games (I still replay Age of Empires 2 a lot to this day and it's one of the main reasons why reading up on history is a big hobby of mine) but AC is an experience of its own.

Truth be told, I still wonder why there's no competition for this series. Open world historical experiences of many sorts could work pretty well, but nope, I haven't seen any.

AssassinHMS
08-06-2014, 09:28 PM
I see nothing wrong with that.
Me neither. Then again, I don’t have a very solid definition of “wrong”.
However, as someone who appreciated AC for what it was initially and dreamed about all the untapped potential, I must say I hated to see it ditched and replaced with this…tour.

I don’t care much for the historical tour either. I mean, I don’t hate it but that’s not why I play AC. I started with AC1 so it was the Assassin simulator concept (which already includes the historical aspect) that made me buy it. Unfortunately Ubisoft gave up on that.

This is why they'll never make a 10/10 game their shallow as hell mechanics are repetitive and HOPEFULLY they get their heads out of their asses.
Couldn’t agree more. But I doubt it. AC is the only historical open world franchise. As long as it stays that way, they know people will buy it no matter how mediocre the game is or how bad the core stays. “AC in Japan!”;”AC in Egypt!”; blabla and so on…
They probably also know that they would sell more if they had a proper game there and not just an exclusive tour. Which is what I think Unity might be. Unfortunately, as far as I’m concerned, AC games don’t exist until I see the reviews.

Fetu2010
08-06-2014, 09:43 PM
Watching my daughter play Assassin's Creed is what got me interested in gaming in the first place. Watching her "kill people" was an enjoyable activity. When she graduated college and moved away, I wanted to see that again, so I started playing myself. As a lover of history, actually being able to experience the location, hearing the voices was better than reading a historical fiction novel--and I've read many of those.

What sells the AC franchise is the mixture of the historical setting, the way they weave their story into the events of history, the characters they build, the stories they tell and the freedom the parkour system gives me to explore all of it. I love the illusion that I could find my way around Rome after playing Brotherhood, or around Istanbul after Revelations. I look at aerial footage of Florence or Venice and catch myself thinking "I've climbed that building." As a lover of history, I generally know some facts and events in whatever time period Ubisoft's chosen and I adore the fact that, yes, Rodrigo Borgia was poisoned to death, but no one knows who did it.

However, I'd still love to have a game or three set in a Precursor world of Ubisoft's invention. Their "history" would be all the creation myths, since the Precursors were the ancient gods, and they could build that into something that dove-tails into recorded human history. Quite an undertaking, but they've already played with doing that with the Juno memories in AC3 and the dialogues with Ezio. I actually expected that to happen with AC3, since it was the end of Desmond's story, but whatever. I'm not entirely sure of the direction Ubisoft's going in, but I'm still along for the ride at the moment.

Sushiglutton
08-06-2014, 09:47 PM
I think that visiting "real" historical places is def one of the main draws of the franchise and very, very important.

Toa TAK
08-06-2014, 09:52 PM
The history that we visit in these games are an enormous chunk of why AC is such a great series. No game out there really does it. Take away the historical context and start making up new locations or (God forbid) visit TOWCB era as the main setting? I'm out.

LoyalACFan
08-07-2014, 02:43 AM
The history that we visit in these games are an enormous chunk of why AC is such a great series. No game out there really does it. Take away the historical context and start making up new locations or (God forbid) visit TOWCB era as the main setting? I'm out.

Agreed. I really don't see why historical sandbox games are that rare, you'd think they'd be a no-brainer; Hollywood has been doing historical epics ever since its inception. I know mainstream gaming has a hard-on for machine guns and explosions, but...

Legends1997
08-07-2014, 06:36 AM
While combat isn't sharp it is fun and allows for some awesome cinematic kills, and AC Unity seems to finally have the stealth system we've wanted. I could care less about the non-fiction setting, I like the parkour and fighting the game offers, In AC3 all I ever did was take out patrols in the forest one by one or go into town and fight hordes of redcoats.