PDA

View Full Version : So how much are you interested about the naval in Assassin's Creed: Rogue?

Dev_Anj
08-06-2014, 02:35 AM
I know that Assassin's Creed: Rogue will feature naval. Naval, while well received in AC 4, was also criticized for being too repetitive and being very different from the core gameplay.

So, how excited are you to engage in the naval gameplay of Assassin's Creed: Rogue?

JustPlainQuirky
08-06-2014, 02:36 AM
In general, I'm more interested in AC Rogue than AC Unity. Mainly because it takes place in a time/location where already loved characters are established.

LoyalACFan
08-06-2014, 02:38 AM
Not at all. It'll be cool to visit the North Atlantic, but I'm really hoping for some settlements and stuff on land there. Ship combat has overstayed its welcome.

Fatal-Feit
08-06-2014, 02:49 AM
We can apparently ram and destroy glaciers.

I don't know about you guys but that sounds both addicting and satisfying.

JustPlainQuirky
08-06-2014, 02:49 AM
We can ram glaciers?

Did the devs learn nothing from Titanic?

Fatal-Feit
08-06-2014, 02:50 AM
I just knew someone would make a reference.

Locopells
08-06-2014, 03:11 AM
We can ram glaciers?

Lol!

Although, to digress, if the Titanic had actually rammed the 'berg, rather than trying to avoid it, she've sunk much slower...

Anywhoo. I'm up for a bit more naval myself (when it comes to PC, that is...).

Ureh
08-06-2014, 03:16 AM
I'm kinda intrigued. But still I want to see how that oil+fire system works and any other potential improvements. I think I will like exploring the northern Atlantic though. Cause I didn't fast travel in AC4 and that really paid off cause the whole game felt like a long voyage.

I wonder if we'll get to see narwhals?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5c/Narwhals_breach.jpg

Also hopefully it's strictly single player. So no social events, community challenges or Shay's fleet. :p

Xstantin
08-06-2014, 03:32 AM
If you count exploring as naval, I'm interested if it's dropping barrels and destroying assassin ships then not really.

AdamPearce
08-06-2014, 03:46 AM
Caribbean was fun because of the impressive amount of islands and sandbox to explore, and it was charming and very beautiful. The Atlantic is just a vast blue desert, there is absolutely nothing to do in it, even in AC3 they threw up the Atlantic shore after 2 missions and moved to the Caribbean...

Also, Naval is already hard-pressed, it was an awesome feature in AC3, and a really fun asset in ACIV, but for me, it doesn't require anything else but a Pirate RPG (bet it's already in development at Singapour). I saw Black Flag has The Naval Game and thought than from now on, if you ever want to play naval, there would be Black Flag. Guess I was wrong.

Frankly I would've prefer a game set in the Nouvelle-France, it would've been SO awesome considering Unity. And the visual in Quebec would've been exceptional, especially in Winter. Really, a Quebec - NY - Frontier game would've nailed it. Anyway, we'll see how it turns out.

+ How do you guys feel about recycling an old city, sounds awkward for me, even more since New York was really, well, boring.

Jexx21
08-06-2014, 03:50 AM
New York was quite fun to run around, loved the Dutch architecture and some of the landmarks were absolutely amazing to parkour around/on. I wonder how much they'll add or change it. I wonder if there willl be a more indepth tunnel system.

Toa TAK
08-06-2014, 03:53 AM
Not at all. It'll be cool to visit the North Atlantic, but I'm really hoping for some settlements and stuff on land there. Ship combat has overstayed its welcome.

Same here. I'm down with everything else, though. I don't hate the Naval combat, but it got old midway through IV.

Hopefully they'll make it a little bit more interesting this go around.

Xstantin
08-06-2014, 03:56 AM
Caribbean was fun because of the impressive amount of islands and sandbox to explore, and it was charming and very beautiful. The Atlantic is just a vast blue desert, there is absolutely nothing to do in it, even in AC3 they threw up the Atlantic shore after 2 missions and moved to the Caribbean...

Well, I might be minority but I found the Northwest passage from Kidd sidequest in ACIII to be more impressive. Something personal I guess.

rickprog
08-06-2014, 04:03 AM
I'm not interested in the naval so far, but there's a dominant characteristic in Rogue that makes it feel more interesting: you are also being hunted. Assassins can board your ship or attack you all of a sudden on cities (if we get what we're being told/promised). I guess I'll have to wait for a proper trailer to tell if it will be good or not, but it sounds like kind of more of the same with some new bits here and there.

Sesheenku
08-06-2014, 05:28 AM
Don't care about naval. They'd have to revamp the hell out of it for me to even get interested.

Then on top of that we get New York? Boston and NY were just bland, they could barely even be told apart.

jamgamerforever
08-06-2014, 05:30 AM
My enjoyment of it largely depends on if they decide to make you board 50 Man-O'-Wars for Metal in a row so you can get upgrades. Loved the combat, but hated the grind. This has to be the last AC game to heavily feature naval combat though. I don't mind having small linear missions like in AC3 in future entries, but I'm not interested in more naval-heavy games after Rogue.

LoyalACFan
08-06-2014, 06:21 AM
My enjoyment of it largely depends on if they decide to make you board 50 Man-O'-Wars for Metal in a row so you can get upgrades. Loved the combat, but hated the grind. This has to be the last AC game to heavily feature naval combat though. I don't mind having small linear missions like in AC3 in future entries, but I'm not interested in more naval-heavy games after Rogue.

Oh god, I forgot about upgrading the Morrigan. I liked building the Jackdaw into a beast the first time, but hell no, never again am I going to scavenge up like 10,000 metal to fully upgrade my ship. On subsequent playthroughs of AC4 I just upgraded it enough to barely squeak by in the scripted naval missions.

Sesheenku
08-06-2014, 06:30 AM

Indeed the grind just shows how repetitive the naval combat really is, if you're gonna make the player grind you better make damn sure if you're game is for Western audiences that the grinding itself is enjoyable.

Eastern gamers are perfectly fine doing whatever mundane task if the reward is enough but I personally need to find the grinding enjoyable.

Kingdom Hearts games are always enjoyable to grind in for me IMO, I just love that little popup that comes up telling you what you've gained and there's always a chance you'll gain a new ability.

projectpat06
08-06-2014, 06:40 AM
If they allow me to keep and upgrade more than just a Brig this time, I will be more than down. As of now, the Morrigan looks like a reskin of the Jackdaw.

http://assets.vg247.com/current//2014/08/Icesheet-breaking-sunset_Watermark_Grey.jpg

http://modelshipworld.com/uploads/monthly_01_2014/post-9789-0-59150800-1389023867_thumb.jpg

JustPlainQuirky
08-06-2014, 06:42 AM
I don't care about the naval either, but I will admit those templar sails in the DLC look dayyyyum fiiiiine

Edit:

I don't understand how you can say it's a re-skin. They're the same type of ships. OFC they look similar. But the sails, head, wheel and all that jazz are different.

Fatal-Feit
08-06-2014, 06:45 AM
The Morrigan looks like a mix of the Jackdaw and the Experto Crede. I was hoping for a bigger ship like in AC:3.

JustPlainQuirky
08-06-2014, 06:47 AM
I wanted to sail a Man O' War tbh.

But I guess that's hard perspective-wise.

AdamPearce
08-06-2014, 07:11 AM
Well, I might be minority but I found the Northwest passage from Kidd sidequest in ACIII to be more impressive. Something personal I guess.

Yes because it was a small heavily scripted side mission. And I'll admit it it was pretty awesome, the design, the sunken frozen ship, climbing on the ice and all. But only for 15 minutes (10?), doing it for 15 hours ? Not the same.

projectpat06
08-06-2014, 07:27 AM
I don't care about the naval either, but I will admit those templar sails in the DLC look dayyyyum fiiiiine

Edit:

I don't understand how you can say it's a re-skin. They're the same type of ships. OFC they look similar. But the sails, head, wheel and all that jazz are different.

Exactly, everything that you said is different are the same things you could already customize to make the jackdaw look different. The Experto Creed was the exact same ship as the jackdaw but with different sails, wheel, head, and ram. This made the gameplay seem not as fresh or new. I would at least give Shay a bad a%$ frigate

JustPlainQuirky
08-06-2014, 07:29 AM
There's only so much you can change a frigate until it stops being a frigate.

projectpat06
08-06-2014, 07:34 AM
There's only so much you can change a frigate until it stops being a frigate.

but its not a brig so it'll be new

Jackdaw951
08-06-2014, 07:46 AM
I know that Assassin's Creed: Rogue will feature naval. Naval, while well received in AC 4, was also criticized for being too repetitive and being very different from the core gameplay.

So, how excited are you to engage in the naval gameplay of Assassin's Creed: Rogue?

The naval gameplay is what pulled me back into the franchise. Without it, I probably would still be ignoring AC since my disappointment with Revelations. I absolutely love it.

Sesheenku
08-06-2014, 08:00 AM
The naval gameplay is what pulled me back into the franchise. Without it, I probably would still be ignoring AC since my disappointment with Revelations. I absolutely love it.

Meh, it's just replacing one repetitive set of game play for another one that hasn't yet become repetitive for some people cause it hasn't been done as many times YET. Otherwise there's nothing inherently better about it, it all devolves into the same simplistic mechanics that are more shallow than a kiddy pool in California during a drought.

Jackdaw951
08-06-2014, 08:14 AM
Meh, it's just replacing one repetitive set of game play for another one that hasn't yet become repetitive for some people cause it hasn't been done as many times YET. Otherwise there's nothing inherently better about it, it all devolves into the same simplistic mechanics that are more shallow than a kiddy pool in California during a drought.

I'll have to disagree with you. There is much variety you can bring to bear, and much you need to do when you pick a fight with multiple big ships all at once. It could be made deeper too. I'd like to see wind have a greater effect on tactics, as well as being able to choose different shot as in AC3. Chain shot should be directed at rigging again, etc. I'd love to see Sid Meier get involved with this tech. That would be awesome. The Rogue reveal thread mentions that this gameplay has been advanced in that game. Let's hope it's for the better.

I would not mind seeing the naval gameplay spun off into its own game series. I think it worked amazingly well--quite synergistically--in AC4, but I can see how it is not going to fit every iteration of the franchise. This would also appease players like you who seem to prefer the traditional AC gameplay.

shobhit7777777
08-06-2014, 08:24 AM
AC4 ship gameplay was fun....looking forward to more of it in Rogue

Can't really complaint now TBH....with ACU satisfying me core AC needs....I wouldn't mind a fun alternative AC experience.

Sesheenku
08-06-2014, 08:41 AM
I'll have to disagree with you. There is much variety you can bring to bear, and much you need to do when you pick a fight with multiple big ships all at once. It could be made deeper too. I'd like to see wind have a greater effect on tactics, as well as being able to choose different shot as in AC3. Chain shot should be directed at rigging again, etc. I'd love to see Sid Meier get involved with this tech. That would be awesome. The Rogue reveal thread mentions that this gameplay has been advanced in that game. Let's hope it's for the better.

We'll have to agree to disagree then because I could fight two man of wars with my eyes closed even with less than half in upgrades. It all devolves to the same thing, stay away from their broadside, ram their *** and then turn and shove some cannons into their face, rinse and repeat for every single ship that isn't a schooner or smaller.

Hell the ONLY reason the big boss ships are difficult is because they're faster than you, that's IT. That's the only reason they even have an inkling of challenge, otherwise the exact same strategy could be used.

There's no depth or variety otherwise, that strategy works on every ship. All the "weapons" are window dressing except for those points where the game mercifully allows you to shoot weak points.

I would not mind seeing the naval gameplay spun off into its own game series. I think it worked amazingly well--quite synergistically--in AC4, but I can see how it is not going to fit every iteration of the franchise. This would also appease players like you who seem to prefer the traditional AC gameplay.

What can I say, I started with AC1, that's what I've always liked and that's what I want improved, not just shoved into a game with what is a mere distraction of the main games accumulated flaws and tedium.

Again not that naval helped me enough personally. It was just as shallow for me, there's options but none of them are necessary, there's ship varieties but none of them need to be approached differently.

All of their games imo need a serious infusion of depth, no more window dressing, if there's an option make it useful, make it have a role.

Unity is supposed to be doing that with weapons and hopefully its skill trees as well. In time we'll see if they're capable of putting in the effort required to add some depth to a game series that has never had as much substance as one would like.

joelsantos24
08-06-2014, 09:00 AM
Interest in naval gameplay? Not at all. Two games of it was more than enough.

I'm just in absolute shock, to be honest, because many people seem interested and almost delirious about it. To me, this just reeks of desperation from Ubisoft, it seems they're just running out of ideas. Some people call it AC3.5, and they're probably right, while I see it as more AC3 + Black Flag in a single game. Been there, done that, sort of perspective. Furthermore, the series is called "Assassin's Creed", and now we play a Templar? Fantastic.

Dev_Anj
08-06-2014, 09:12 AM
Furthermore, the series is called "Assassin's Creed", and now we play a Templar? Fantastic.

What's wrong in getting a new perspective on the Templars? Also I wouldn't say that Ubisoft are running out of ideas, Unity seems to be a complete revamp from what I'm hearing.

Fatal-Feit
08-06-2014, 09:30 AM
the series is called "Assassin's Creed", and now we play a Templar? Fantastic.

Assassin's --> 's Creed. <---- , not Super Elite Assassins Warriors.

The story is about their Creed. From what we've seen of RO, there's an emphasis on conflicting creeds, which has shifted Shay into a Templar. There's a big possibility that it won't take backseat like in AC:2-AC:3. And that's a good thing, ain't it?

joelsantos24
08-06-2014, 09:32 AM
What's wrong in getting a new perspective on the Templars? Also I wouldn't say that Ubisoft are running out of ideas, Unity seems to be a complete revamp from what I'm hearing.
The fact that the game's premisse is based on the dichotomy between the liberators from the Assassin's order, and the tyrannical Templars. That's it, that's the premisse of the entire series. As far as the ideas, well, what did you do in AC3 and Black Flag? Didn't that give enough inner perspective on the Templars and their beliefs? Unity seems indeed a veery appealing direction, but that's exactly the point: the next-generation players are gonna have fun with a completely new and astonishing game, while us last-generation bastards are stuck doing the same ****, over and over again.

projectpat06
08-06-2014, 10:14 AM
The fact that the game's premisse is based on the dichotomy between the liberators from the Assassin's order, and the tyrannical Templars. That's it, that's the premisse of the entire series. As far as the ideas, well, what did you do in AC3 and Black Flag? Didn't that give enough inner perspective on the Templars and their beliefs? Unity seems indeed a veery appealing direction, but that's exactly the point: the next-generation players are gonna have fun with a completely new and astonishing game, while us last-generation bastards are stuck doing the same ****, over and over again.

$400.00 for a console (I've seen $350.00 for xbox ones) is not a terrible amount of money if you save up. Just saying.

joelsantos24
08-06-2014, 10:36 AM
$400.00 for a console (I've seen $350.00 for xbox ones) is not a terrible amount of money if you save up. Just saying.
Well, in my country, the minimum wage is about 480€, pretty much the price of a PS4. Fortunately, I have the possibility to buy one, if I want, but I'm not going to, not right now at least. I'm waiting, at least another year. I have my entire AC collection plus other games like GT6, and I won't keep my PS3 after I get a PS4. Ubisoft has no plans to release the Anthology on PS4 (WTF?) and I'm not putting my GT6 in the trash, so to speak.

projectpat06
08-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Well, in my country, the minimum wage is about 480€, pretty much the price of a PS4. Fortunately, I have the possibility to buy one, if I want, but I'm not going to, not right now at least. I'm waiting, at least another year. I have my entire AC collection plus other games like GT6, and I won't keep my PS3 after I get a PS4. Ubisoft has no plans to release the Anthology on PS4 (WTF?) and I'm not putting my GT6 in the trash, so to speak.

understandable. They could enhance all of the ps3 games into an anthology pack for ps4 one day, but it would be a few years from now. Besides, I would trade living state-side and having a ps4 for moving to Portugal in a heartbeat.

RinoTheBouncer
08-06-2014, 11:42 AM
I personally donít care. I only play AC games for the story thatís why Iíve been disappointed lately because the story was taking the backseat and the whole focus is on 1 or 2 new mechanics like naval and dual swords and pistols (ACIV), Co-op (AC:U) and now Naval again (AC:Ro). I think Iíll be ok with it but if I were to make the decisions of making ROGUE, Iíd make sure itís ground based. Letís hope the game proves me wrong and makes naval more entertaining or at least not as major as it was in ACIV.

NondairyGold
08-06-2014, 11:54 AM
Interest in naval gameplay? Not at all. Two games of it was more than enough.

I'm just in absolute shock, to be honest, because many people seem interested and almost delirious about it. To me, this just reeks of desperation from Ubisoft, it seems they're just running out of ideas. Some people call it AC3.5, and they're probably right, while I see it as more AC3 + Black Flag in a single game. Been there, done that, sort of perspective. Furthermore, the series is called "Assassin's Creed", and now we play a Templar? Fantastic.

A templar who was/is an assassin, we don't know when we start playing as Shay. We'll more than likely start right before the crucial mission that turned him. Also remember that Edward wasn't an assassin he only pretended to be one, for the majority of Black Flag.

SixKeys
08-06-2014, 11:55 AM
It would maybe be slightly more interesting if instead of being stuck with the same ship we could progress from a small gunboat to a big Man o' War. Otherwise it does just feel like a reskinned Jackdaw/Aquila/Victoire.

I'm not gonna be able to play the game anyway (PC), but I don't feel it's a huge loss. I'm over naval already, doesn't sound like they'll be adding much to it.

jeordievera
08-06-2014, 11:59 AM
It would maybe be slightly more interesting if instead of being stuck with the same ship we could progress from a small gunboat to a big Man o' War. Otherwise it does just feel like a reskinned Jackdaw/Aquila/Victoire.

I'm not gonna be able to able play the game anyway (PC), but I don't feel it's a huge loss. I'm over naval already, doesn't sound like they'll be adding much to it.
I feel the same and also won't be able to play it (having a PC). I am not a huge fan of naval missions, they were quite fun but enough for two games already.
I am only interested in Shay's story - on why he turned against Assassins and why he joined the Templars when saying he has his own creed...

joelsantos24
08-06-2014, 12:13 PM
A templar who was/is an assassin, we don't know when we start playing as Shay. We'll more than likely start right before the crucial mission that turned him. Also remember that Edward wasn't an assassin he only pretended to be one, for the majority of Black Flag.
Yes, and it was one of the points I hated the most in Black Flag. I just don't understand your perspective, for me this is all just horrible news. I mean, in a game about Assassins, we're out hunting them out. Preposterous.

SixKeys
08-06-2014, 12:17 PM
People cry out for more moral greyness in AC, yet are appalled when they have to play as "evil" Templars hunting down the "good guy" assassins. :rolleyes:

Shahkulu101
08-06-2014, 12:36 PM
Pffft you're just far too close minded if you don't think playing as a Templar is awesome, it can still be a story about Assassin's and Templars with classic AC mechanics. Except, we are getting to see from the Templar's point of view for the first time, and this gives the opportunity for an awesome, ambiguous story. I'm excited for Rogue's narrative.

About naval, yeah I suppose. It was a fun mechanic, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Jackdaw. The thing is though. I don't think it's going to be any different, and might get stale.

aznassassin159
08-06-2014, 01:13 PM
Ship combat has overstayed its welcome.
This.

Unity tickles my fancy far more with its higher emphasis on parkour/urban stealth and less on ship vs ship bollocks.

kosmoscreed
08-06-2014, 01:31 PM
No, it was cool for 2 games but is enough for me, I'm more interested in getting chased by assassins.

LatinaC09
08-06-2014, 02:19 PM
We can ram glaciers?

LOL! Assassin's Creed: Titanic. Just imagine that one.

joelsantos24
08-06-2014, 02:55 PM
People cry out for more moral greyness in AC, yet are appalled when they have to play as "evil" Templars hunting down the "good guy" assassins. :rolleyes:
I'm not those people.

Plus, I don't know what you're blabbering about, I mean, didn't you play as a Templar already (Haytham, in AC3)? Moreover, didn't you play as a rogue per se (Edward, in Black Flag)? What more insight on the Templars and their beliefs do you actually require? What more is needed, for you guys to open your eyes and realize that Ubisoft is merely giving us the same **** all over again, but on a different plate.

Pffft you're just far too close minded if you don't think playing as a Templar is awesome, it can still be a story about Assassin's and Templars with classic AC mechanics. Except, we are getting to see from the Templar's point of view for the first time, and this gives the opportunity for an awesome, ambiguous story. I'm excited for Rogue's narrative.

About naval, yeah I suppose. It was a fun mechanic, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Jackdaw. The thing is though. I don't think it's going to be any different, and might get stale.
So, simply because I'm not the least interested in playing as a Templar and hunting down Assassins, I'm close-minded? I'm completely horrified, I mean, it's impossible to actually discuss something with you guys because Ubisoft throws you a half-chewed bone and you go all wacky.

Shahkulu101
08-06-2014, 03:15 PM
I'm actually sceptical of Rogue, but I'm just pointing out the pros of playing as a Templar, because you were complaining about it, for what I believe are close minded reasons.

And its you who is impossible to discuss anything with, because you can't properly discuss things with people who have different opinions. It's you that's got the problem, so don't go insult the whole forum.

joelsantos24
08-06-2014, 03:22 PM
I'm not insulting anyone, at least that was not my intention. If anyone felt insulted, then I apologize.

How can someone who has no interest in playing as a Templar, be close-minded? I mean, just because? Don't we know the Templar's mindset? Haven't we experienced it in first-hand already? How many times do we actually need to be playing as a Templar, for us to say enough? We've done it in AC3 and Black Flag (where we went from mercenary to Templar, to mercenary again and then Assassin), now they give us the same thing, although with a different name and cover, and everything's ok?

JustPlainQuirky
08-06-2014, 03:26 PM
It's fine if joel finds playing as a templar uninteresting and not a good selling point.

I personally love it, but hey it's all a matter of preference.

Rugterwyper32
08-06-2014, 03:26 PM
I actually am excited, if only because the North Atlantic looks wonderfully cold and it'll be quite enjoyable to explore. And there'll be lots of ice and snow. And that's wonderful.

C'mon Ubisoft just give us a game in Siberia already it needs to happen.

But yeah, this being by all means a side-game, I really don't mind the naval focus. We already have a landlocked AC this year, and I've always talked about how naval by all means serves the same purpose as the Kingdom in AC1 just that better, and I'll stick with that. I'd like more variety of hub locations and not make naval a thing for every game, but at the same time I like it and I don't mind it being around.

Shahkulu101
08-06-2014, 03:29 PM
Well whats wrong with giving us an outsiders perspective more than once?

It can still be an AC game, with AC mechanics and have a story about Assassin's and Templars. That's what constitutes the title of AC to me. I don't see the problem with Assassin's being antagonistic. We never were supposed to be playing as 'good guys'.

joelsantos24
08-06-2014, 03:33 PM
It's fine if joel finds playing as a templar uninteresting and not a good selling point.

I personally love it, but hey it's all a matter of preference.
Exactly, it's all a matter of preference.

However, I was just horrified with the revealing of this new game, because it's the same thing all over again. I mean, the universe of possibilities for an AC game is virtually limitless, and yet they keep giving us the same backgrounds, the same mechanics, etc. My level of disappointment is just beyond imaginable, that's all. To think what is and what could've been. Here we go, sailing ships and killing Assassins, all over again.

JustPlainQuirky
08-06-2014, 03:35 PM
It's a last gen game.

They're saving major innovative ideas for current gen.

Last gen is just filling in the gaps to satisfy people like me who are obsessed with already established characters .

Rugterwyper32
08-06-2014, 03:44 PM
It's a last gen game.

Last gen is just filling in the gaps to satisfy people like me who are obsessed with already established characters .

Basically. It's by all means a filler game. I had been saying that from before, it either didn't exist or it'd be a game with reused assets simply to cover the PS360 audience who didn't have a PS4 or a Bone yet and it'd try to catch the competitive multiplayer audience seeing how Unity lacked that.

Toa TAK
08-06-2014, 03:51 PM
It's a last gen game.

Haha, pretty much. Even if it didn't have any connection to previous characters I'd gulf it down regardless due to it adding more to the overall lore of the series.

Plus, Templar game. How can that not be awesome?

Loki Will Rule
08-06-2014, 03:58 PM
I'm pretty excited for it. I actually enjoyed the naval gameplay, so sailing around in the ice and artic environment sounds really cool.

pacmanate
08-06-2014, 04:00 PM
Not that interested in it. They added 2 new weapons and you can now be boarded.

woo.

/sarcasm.

I just hope the story and content makes this game worth it. I think its going to be very hard for them to top AC4's scale and content.

JustPlainQuirky
08-06-2014, 04:02 PM
There's also the enhanced stalker mechanic. I think it'll be tense. and I like being tense :rolleyes:

Dev_Anj
08-06-2014, 04:08 PM
Not that interested in it. They added 2 new weapons and you can now be boarded.

I think being boarded by enemies is a major gameplay change in the naval system though.

ze_topazio
08-06-2014, 04:08 PM
Can't wait to hunt and kill baby seals and penguins. http://i.imgur.com/I53WcjU.png

pacmanate
08-06-2014, 04:12 PM
There's also the enhanced stalker mechanic. I think it'll be tense. and I like being tense :rolleyes:

So they're bringing back a mechanic they took away...

AC do this a lot, contradicting there own games, remember AC:B and the Borgia towers? When AC:Rev came out they were like "Your dens can now be taken back cause fans asked for it and it makes sense blah blah". Then AC3 came out and they went back to AC:B style and your forts couldnt be attacked.

AC:Rev, they have a stalker mechanic, you would just be strollin along, walking your dog, hear creepy music and get attacked. The first time this happened shocked me and was really cool. Not saying this was game changing but it was nice. Then they took it away for AC3 and AC4, and probably ACU as well.

I think being boarded by enemies is a major gameplay change in the naval system though.

Doubt it, its just a reverse scenario. Instead of you throwing ropes over, they throw them over. Instead of you going on their ship, they come to yours.

^ and I hope its not like that. I hope to see fighting on both ships, not just one "team" going to another.

Dev_Anj
08-06-2014, 04:16 PM
^ and I hope its not like that. I hope to see fighting on both ships, not just one "team" going to another.

I hope the same too. It would be simply odd if you could only fight off the enemies boarding and not counter board their ship too. Also, they should completely do away with the arbritary "Blow up several barrels", "Kill some scouts", "Remove a flag" etc. objectives.

pacmanate
08-06-2014, 04:18 PM
I hope the same too. It would be simply odd if you could only fight off the enemies boarding and not counter board their ship too. Also, they should completely do away with the arbritary "Blow up several barrels", "Kill some scouts", "Remove a flag" etc. objectives.

I agree, those are dumb.

"I'm just gonna cut this flag off before I sink your entire ship!!!"

Xstantin
08-06-2014, 04:32 PM
I'm surprised some were expecting new awesome, groundbreaking, seen-as-never-before, insert another marketing word mechanics etc from the lastgen game, it was kinda obvious.

pacmanate
08-06-2014, 04:39 PM
I'm surprised some were expecting new awesome, groundbreaking, seen-as-never-before, insert another marketing word mechanics etc from the lastgen game, it was kinda obvious.

I don't think anyone thought that. The problem is you can only do so much with Naval. They reached the limit with AC4. The only thing they can change are the weapons, and in Rogue they just reversed the boarding mechanic.

JustPlainQuirky
08-06-2014, 04:40 PM
They could always introduce space pirates :rolleyes:

Hans684
08-06-2014, 04:50 PM
Naval is a great bonus in Rogue, but I'm only getting it for the story and we play as a Templar.

Jexx21
08-06-2014, 04:53 PM
Rogue also includes the puckle gun! An experimental weapon that has no confirmed notes of it ever being used in battle!

You also have that rifle that apparently we have multiple types of ammo for.

#AssassinsCreedBecomingShooterConfirmed

pacmanate
08-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Rogue also includes the puckle gun! An experimental weapon that has no confirmed notes of it ever being used in battle!

You also have that rifle that apparently we have multiple types of ammo for.

#AssassinsCreedBecomingShooterConfirmed

Well they had to "innovate" somehow :rolleyes:

It's not like they are reusing an outfit for Rogues main protag.... oh... they are? Oops.
Well it's not like they are reusing a whole city!.... what?.... Oh they're doing that too...
Well at least they've got Naval still, they can still add to that... oh.... they only added 2 new weapons and reversed boarding?... oh..
Well at least the story will be relevant! It bridges the gap between AC4 and AC3 :)... really? The gap doesn't need to be bridged... yeah you're right... oops

Jexx21
08-06-2014, 05:00 PM
AC4 ship gameplay was fun....looking forward to more of it in Rogue

Can't really complaint now TBH....with ACU satisfying me core AC needs....I wouldn't mind a fun alternative AC experience.

all hail the mighty batman, leader of our clan.

Pac, we don't know enough about the game to actually judge it, but it still looks good and it looks like it'll be interesting and fun to play. That's all that really matters.

Megas_Doux
08-06-2014, 05:01 PM
Well, kinda hard to tell.

I like naval and the North Atlantic/arctic seems interesting, but the whole thing SCREAMS filler, event to the point of reusing a location...........

JustPlainQuirky
08-06-2014, 05:02 PM
I said before I would disregard all flaws if Comet (Rogue) was a templar game and had Haytham. And so here we are. :rolleyes:

This game has to have been in development since at least early 2012. It was forshadowed too well in AC3.

aprice07
08-06-2014, 05:03 PM
Naval is a great bonus in Rogue, but I'm only getting it for the story and we play as a Templar.

I'm kind of burnt out on the Naval at this point. I explored all the islands and everything in Black Flag, and I don't know if I can do much more and not be bored. However, I fully agree with you about the story. I'm glad that we'll be playing from the perspective of an Assassin turned Templar. It will be interesting to see things from this guys point of view. Ubi tried this with Haytham, and some probably enjoyed it; I think it could have been done better, and I hope they do with this installment to the franchise.

pacmanate
08-06-2014, 05:03 PM
all hail the mighty batman, leader of our clan.

Pac, we don't know enough about the game to actually judge it, but it still looks good and it looks like it'll be interesting and fun to play. That's all that really matters.

We know that the only new things are the locations (as expected, minus NY), return of stalkers and a reverse ship mechanic.

The only thing interesting me is the Story, and AC stories have never been of AAA quality so im scared of this too

harsab
08-06-2014, 05:16 PM
I think people need to really relax with the expectations for rogue...

it will be a good game but not amazing. Unity will be amazing from what i've seen so far.

Come on guys you think ubisoft are going to make 2 breath taking games for last and current gen?

they don't have the budget to do that with rogue. it will just be updated game play from AC3/AC4.

Unity is where the real experience will be.

Those are my thoughts anyway.

Jexx21
08-06-2014, 05:45 PM
We know that the only new things are the locations (as expected, minus NY), return of stalkers and a reverse ship mechanic.

The only thing interesting me is the Story, and AC stories have never been of AAA quality so im scared of this too

Eh? You're forgetting the new weapons such as the air rifle (with various types of ammo), the puckle gun, and the burning oil.

And the stories are part of the main reason why I'm drawn into this series in the first place, if they aren't AAA stories then I haven't encountered any.

pacmanate
08-06-2014, 05:58 PM
Eh? You're forgetting the new weapons such as the air rifle (with various types of ammo), the puckle gun, and the burning oil.

And the stories are part of the main reason why I'm drawn into this series in the first place, if they aren't AAA stories then I haven't encountered any.

The Air rifle is just a blunderbuss. The puckle gun and burning oil are the only 2 new weapons in naval, i've mentioned this.

Story is why I am drawn too, but many games imo have better stories than AC games which is why for me AC games have always been an 8/10 at best.

Jexx21
08-06-2014, 06:06 PM
I think AC has better stories than most games I've played. AC games in general are around an 8.5-9/10 for me.

Air rifle isn't just a blunderbuss either. There are multiple ammo and grenade types that you can shoot from it.

pacmanate
08-06-2014, 06:16 PM
I think AC has better stories than most games I've played. AC games in general are around an 8.5-9/10 for me.

Air rifle isn't just a blunderbuss either. There are multiple ammo and grenade types that you can shoot from it.

Mm, we will see if the multiple ammo and grenades are worth it.

Personally in Revelations I thought the bombs/grenades were pointless.

Most "new" things in AC are old things with new names:

Like poison and beserk darts
The Phantom blade being the crossbow in ACB/R or Bow in AC3
Phantom blade being able to shoot poison darts, like AC:B/R could do from it anyway.
Blunderbuss = Air Rifle

shobhit7777777
08-06-2014, 07:07 PM
Lets get realistic

Rogue is a continuation of the AC4 formula on last gen platforms.

1. AC4 is considered by and large to a great game. Its a solid entry in the franchise.
2. There are still a lot of people on last gen platforms....this will be the case for a while.

It makes sense for Ubisoft to release a last gen title. It makes sense for them to pump one out which has a rock solid foundation in the form of a proven, successful formula (AC4).

Rogue is - like ACB and ACR - a way to keep last gen fans entertained while still remaining profitable.

Had Rogue been the ONLY game out this year....or perhaps the next gen offering...then yeah...I'd burn this place down using the desecrated remains of AC3 for fuel....but we have Unity.

ACU is a next gen exclusive with a feature list that makes me feel like Ubisoft has been reading my AC wishlist for years. Therefore I'm not too hassled that Rogue isn't packed to the gills with innovative, revolutionary gameplay mechanics....but rather more of the same old goodness.

Besides, playing as an ex-Assassin....a Templar who, perhaps, drove the Assassins to extinction in North America....would be IMO a lot of fun.

IDK about the rest of you...but I'd like to play as this hunter of hunters...the apex predator....the biggest, baddest, scariest cat in the jungle....the Assassin's boogieman.

pacmanate
08-06-2014, 07:34 PM
IDK about the rest of you...but I'd like to play as this hunter of hunters...the apex predator....the biggest, baddest, scariest cat in the jungle....the Assassin's boogieman.

http://dirtyhorror.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/boogeyman-11.jpg

Mr_Shade
08-06-2014, 07:36 PM
Well, I was hungry...

pacmanate
08-06-2014, 07:39 PM
Well, I was hungry...

And now you're not and you will lose weight and get a 6 pack and massive muscles.

Jexx21
08-06-2014, 07:40 PM
Lets get realistic

1. AC4 is considered by and large to a great game. Its a solid entry in the franchise.
2. There are still a lot of people on last gen platforms....this will be the case for a while.

It makes sense for Ubisoft to release a last gen title. It makes sense for them to pump one out which has a rock solid foundation in the form of a proven, successful formula (AC4).

Rogue is - like ACB and ACR - a way to keep last gen fans entertained while still remaining profitable.

Had Rogue been the ONLY game out this year....or perhaps the next gen offering...then yeah...I'd burn this place down using the desecrated remains of AC3 for fuel....but we have Unity.

ACU is a next gen exclusive with a feature list that makes me feel like Ubisoft has been reading my AC wishlist for years. Therefore I'm not too hassled that Rogue isn't packed to the gills with innovative, revolutionary gameplay mechanics....but rather more of the same old goodness.

Besides, playing as an ex-Assassin....a Templar who, perhaps, drove the Assassins to extinction in North America....would be IMO a lot of fun.

Not to mention it sounds like Rogue will have more crowd manipulation mechanics than Unity, so you might want to get a bit excited about that Shobhit :P

By the way, if you hop on steam we have a discussion going on about Rogue. sort of. not really right now but we were.

jeordievera
08-06-2014, 07:41 PM

Hmmm spaghetti!

ze_topazio
08-06-2014, 07:44 PM
And now you're not and you will lose weight and get a 6 pack and massive muscles.

Suggesting Mr_Shade doesn't have that already.

pacmanate
08-06-2014, 07:46 PM
Hmmm spaghetti!

All that protein.

For 6 pack abs and big muscles!

shobhit7777777
08-06-2014, 08:33 PM
Not to mention it sounds like Rogue will have more crowd manipulation mechanics than Unity, so you might want to get a bit excited about that Shobhit :P

By the way, if you hop on steam we have a discussion going on about Rogue. sort of. not really right now but we were.

Not to pee on your parade....but the air gun will be like the Blowdart 2.0. Same shizz different packaging. I'm prepped for AC4.1....you should be too. I'd also wager Unity's social stealth systems sinking Rogue's....but thats stupid because its unfair.

pacmanate
08-06-2014, 08:42 PM
Not to pee on your parade....but the air gun will be like the Blowdart 2.0. Same shizz different packaging. I'm prepped for AC4.1....you should be too. I'd also wager Unity's social stealth systems sinking Rogue's....but thats stupid because its unfair.

I said dis 2

Dome500
08-06-2014, 09:12 PM
Not really. The Assassin Turncoat story sounds interesting if executed right but the naval is nothing I particularly look forward to. I don't dislike it, but I don't like it either, it's kind of a neutral point for me and if it's used too much it's a problem for me personally. I hope the balance is right.

Jexx21
08-06-2014, 10:06 PM

Airgun has different kinds of ammo that are the Blowdart 2.0

There is a Blowdart 2.0, it's call the grenade launcher. It launches shrapnel, sleeping gas bombs, and poison gas bombs. Obviously a lot more conspicuous than the blow dart.

Airgun presumably has bullets and firecrackers.

LoyalACFan
08-07-2014, 03:25 AM

There is a Blowdart 2.0, it's call the grenade launcher. It launches shrapnel, sleeping gas bombs, and poison gas bombs. Obviously a lot more conspicuous than the blow dart.

Wait, the grenade launcher is a different thing than the airgun? I thought the airgun was an all-purpose launcher, it's got that second barrel thing attached to the tip that I thought shot the larger ammo.

In any case, nobody should be complaining about it being "blowgun 2.0" unless you're going to call literally every new projectile weapon from now on a "blowgun 2.0"

shobhit7777777
08-07-2014, 07:23 AM

Blowgun 3.0!!!

Wait, the grenade launcher is a different thing than the airgun? I thought the airgun was an all-purpose launcher, it's got that second barrel thing attached to the tip that I thought shot the larger ammo.

In any case, nobody should be complaining about it being "blowgun 2.0" unless you're going to call literally every new projectile weapon from now on a "blowgun 2.0"

The Blowgun was basically the streamlining of the ACR bombs into one accessible package with clear usage instructions

Berserker - Lethal and Diversionary functions
Sleep - Tactical and Diversionary functions

Very elegant solution...but sacrificed the tactical flexibility of ACR's bombs.

The Air Gun and the Launcher are essentially expansion of the Blow-gun....meant for ease of access, better user feedback (clarity) etc. They are adding onto the blowgun but IDK how close it is to Revelation's Bombs system in terms of tactical options.

One large reason why I feel hobbled by the Blowpipe(all versions) is their inherent incongruity within an urban environment...a calm, normal day with folks milling about....and you're aiming a rifle/blowdart at some of them. They aren't exactly a covert option.

In ACR (and Ezio games TBF)....bombs could be deployed covertly, quickly...timed fuses, sticky shells opened up oppurtunities. The poison blade was another social stealth oriented covert killer which also caused a great diversion.

The Blowpipe and following versions.....only confirm one thing - its 100% going to follow AC4's mission design format. The stealth will be centered around restricted areas like forts and such and you will be doing most of your hood hunting in the woods....

Which is fine...it was fun in AC4....and ACU will take care of the social stealth elements

Besides....Rogue may surprise me.

Farlander1991
08-07-2014, 10:10 AM
I do think that ACRo has the potential of having more social stealth elements than AC4.

Social stealth served its function in AC4 well enough (in tailing missions and side assassinations), but in principle it was the same social stealth we had ever since AC2 - a bunch of what was essentially hiding spots (in AC1 social stealth was behavioral based rather than hiding based, with the exception of the monk blend group).

But now there are going to be enemies in hiding spots. In crowds, in haystacks. Which is going to make eagle vision more useful and will add spice to the AC2-like social stealth mechanics.

shobhit7777777
08-07-2014, 12:59 PM
But now there are going to be enemies in hiding spots. In crowds, in haystacks. Which is going to make eagle vision more useful and will add spice to the AC2-like social stealth mechanics.

It'll get old in 5 min

Knowing Ubisoft...they will "optimize" it...and gimp it. Hear whisper - eagle vision - stab the hood inside the haystack....done.

For it to be actually intriguing....they'll need smarter AI moving through crowds and such. Batsense tells me it'll be an uber arcadey jack in the box elements.

Farlander1991
08-07-2014, 01:05 PM
It'll get old in 5 min

Knowing Ubisoft...they will "optimize" it...and gimp it. Hear whisper - eagle vision - stab the hood inside the haystack....done.

For it to be actually intriguing....they'll need smarter AI moving through crowds and such. Batsense tells me it'll be an uber arcadey jack in the box elements.

Even if it's going to be uber-arcadey jack in the box (and not a multiplayer-like experience... btw, does anybody remember here how good or bad AC multiplayer bots were? Does it have bots outside of training missions anyway?), and your player goal is stealthy playthrough where you don't want to catch attention, I still think it can lead to a lot of interestingly designed situations.

shobhit7777777
08-07-2014, 01:13 PM
Even if it's going to be uber-arcadey jack in the box (and not a multiplayer-like experience... btw, does anybody remember here how good or bad AC multiplayer bots were? Does it have bots outside of training missions anyway?), and your player goal is stealthy playthrough where you don't want to catch attention, I still think it can lead to a lot of interestingly designed situations.

Social stealth is the only situation where they MIGHT be interesting.

It'll lead to another tired, uninspired and insipid gameplay element.

pacmanate
08-07-2014, 02:10 PM
I do think that ACRo has the potential of having more social stealth elements than AC4.

I don't think there will be an emphasis on stealth this time. He isn't an Assassin so technically this game doesn't need to abide to any past AC "laws".

Also you might be forgetting we have a freaking Blunderbuss that can fire grenades now. Nice stealth weapon there :P

I don't. What did AC4 bring to the table in terms of social stealth? Nothing. There was nothing new in the SOCIAL stealth department. They added a hide door.. woo. /sarcasm.

joelsantos24
08-07-2014, 02:24 PM
Lets get realistic

That's exactly the way to look at this situation: to think about Rogue, exclusively, without pondering about Unity. Since you'll have Unity, you apparently look at Rogue with different eyes, considering your words, but isn't that a double standard? Why would you burn this place down had Rogue been announced as the sole next chapter in the series? I think that's the heart of the problem.

Xstantin
08-07-2014, 02:32 PM
That's exactly the way to look at this situation: to think about Rogue, exclusively, without pondering about Unity. Since you'll have Unity, you apparently look at Rogue with different eyes, considering your words, but isn't that a double standard? Why would you burn this place down had Rogue been announced as the sole next chapter in the series? I think that's the heart of the problem.

How is it double standard? I mean did people expect the same from Liberation, Revelations or something? If it's a smaller game you expect less, no?

joelsantos24
08-07-2014, 02:41 PM
How is it double standard? I mean did people expect the same from Liberation, Revelations or something? If it's a smaller game you expect less, no?
I was just wondering, hence the question. But is Rogue a smaller game, like Liberation? No, it's a full chapter in the series. The difference is, there's another one on PS4.

But forgetting abou Unity for a moment, he mentioned he'd burn this place down had Rogue been announced as the only chapter, and on PS4. I'd be interested to know why, if he'd be willing to elaborate on that, of course.

pacmanate
08-07-2014, 02:43 PM
I was just wondering, hence the question. But is Rogue a smaller game, like Liberation? No, it's a full chapter in the series. The difference is, there's another one on PS4.

But forgetting abou Unity for a moment, he mentioned he'd burn this place down had Rogue been announced as the only chapter, and on PS4. I'd be interested to know why, if he'd be willing to elaborate on that, of course.

Agree with this. Rogue is not a smaller game. It's a full console release being sold at full retail price. It is a full installment in the series.

If Rogue was the only chapter we had this year, then yeah, that would suck as there is little to no innovation to warrant it being its own game. Its basically Black Flag with a few new weapons and one or 2 "new" mechanics (old ones returning, reverse ones they already have)

shobhit7777777
08-07-2014, 02:54 PM

Stagnant gameplay that doesn't capitalize on the strength of the franchise. I'd burn it down using AC3's desecrated corpse as fuel for that reason.

joelsantos24
08-07-2014, 04:43 PM
Agree with this. Rogue is not a smaller game. It's a full console release being sold at full retail price. It is a full installment in the series.

If Rogue was the only chapter we had this year, then yeah, that would suck as there is little to no innovation to warrant it being its own game. Its basically Black Flag with a few new weapons and one or 2 "new" mechanics (old ones returning, reverse ones they already have)
Precisely.

Everyone is stoked about Rogue. And why? Because they'll still have Unity. I've been reading a lot of opinions, and the general impression that I have, is that fans are willing to forget the compelling weaknesses and flaws of the installment, simply because Unity (for many, the real next chapter in the series) will also be out there. On the other hand, many people (myself included) won't be able to play Unity for a while, at least another year, in my personal case, which means Rogue will be the only option. As a full chapter of the series, it should be regarded as such, independently of other titles, instead of being considered a new distraction for when they're not playing Unity. In my humble opinion, and as I mentioned before, Rogue's flaws are devastating: it offers no real innovation, no evolution, as it delivers the same content than before but in a different package and with different visuals.

Stagnant gameplay that doesn't capitalize on the strength of the franchise. I'd burn it down using AC3's desecrated corpse as fuel for that reason.
Absolutely, I agree. I just think that Unity being there, doesn't change the fact.

Dome500
08-07-2014, 05:16 PM
Yeah I think they could really create something great with the reversed Assassin/Templar role and the gameplay that comes with it. But to be perfectly honest... I am not sure if they would get it done right.
The Assassins in ACIV were a real joke in terms of infiltrating and knocking some of them out.

Like Shob said, they'd need a lot smarter A.I. to create something intersting.
I am also unsure of how that will work now, since we become a Templar, will we have guards/mercs accompanying us or will we use Assassin techniques to kill Assassins? I mean sure, it's an intriguing concepts to use their own methods against them but in the ends I'd really hope for a different experience when playing a Templar since their style, influence and also the gameplay should reflect the way the Tempalrs operate in general. Assassins are Stealthy. Templars are normally more open but backstabbing and with a lot of money and influence.
I like that the equipment you have reflects that, but I would hope to see more.

Like Shob said though (or I think he said something in that direction), I doubt it will happen and I am sure in the end it will be AC4.1 or AC4.5 in terms of gameplay.
But to be honest, should that happen it would be a real missed opportunity to bring some variety in the gameplay and help showing the Templar perspective and operating method.

joelsantos24
08-07-2014, 05:38 PM
Yeah I think they could really create something great with the reversed Assassin/Templar role and the gameplay that comes with it. But to be perfectly honest... I am not sure if they would get it done right.
The Assassins in ACIV were a real joke in terms of infiltrating and knocking some of them out.

Like Shob said, they'd need a lot smarter A.I. to create something intersting.
I am also unsure of how that will work now, since we become a Templar, will we have guards/mercs accompanying us or will we use Assassin techniques to kill Assassins? I mean sure, it's an intriguing concepts to use their own methods against them but in the ends I'd really hope for a different experience when playing a Templar since their style, influence and also the gameplay should reflect the way the Tempalrs operate in general. Assassins are Stealthy. Templars are normally more open but backstabbing and with a lot of money and influence.
I like that the equipment you have reflects that, but I would hope to see more.

Like Shob said though (or I think he said something in that direction), I doubt it will happen and I am sure in the end it will be AC4.1 or AC4.5 in terms of gameplay.
But to be honest, should that happen it would be a real missed opportunity to bring some variety in the gameplay and help showing the Templar perspective and operating method.
I really didn't want to play as a Templar. Their perspective doesn't interest me the least. They're the tyrants and the Assassins are the liberators, it's that simple. And we've already witnessed many treasonous acts throughout the series: Al Mualim, in AC1, the mentor of the order, was actually a Templar; Vali, in Revelations, was also a former Assassin turned Assassin Hunter; Edward was a mercenary that used to work for the Templars, and then became an Assassin; etc. Treachery isn't unknown to the Assassins, and we've seen it in first hand, so I don't really see any value in reloading that scenario again.

As for the gameplay issues, yeah, Rogue is or will be Black Flag version 2.0. There isn't much I could say about that, that hasn't been already approached here.

Loki Will Rule
08-07-2014, 06:14 PM
I don't think it's really a recycled scenario in terms of story telling as Edward only worked for the Templars to proft himself; he didn't really seem to care about either faction.

m4r-k7
08-07-2014, 06:20 PM
People who think Edward was not a proper assassin are naive in my opinion. Yes he started as a pirate and pretended to be an assassin for monetary reasons but as the game progressed Edward learnt more about the assassins and their cause in Black Flag than any other assassin in the same amount of time. Edward did not start as an assassin but he definitely became one, in a much more interesting way than the average "i need revenge so I am joining the creed" way.

Kakuzu745
08-07-2014, 06:50 PM
Naval was a nice addition in AC3...AC4 did a fantastic job with that but it was too much for me so I am basically done with the naval part. I really hope the naval part is no more than 20% of the game (although I suspect it will be around 50% or 60%)

Stealth Gamer92
08-07-2014, 06:54 PM
I Yes. I just like the sailing ship's look's more than anything.

THE_JOKE_KING33
08-07-2014, 06:59 PM
I'm 100% interested in it. Loved it in Black Flag and I know I'm going to love it in this.

Sesheenku
08-08-2014, 02:05 AM
People who think Edward was not a proper assassin are naive in my opinion. Yes he started as a pirate and pretended to be an assassin for monetary reasons but as the game progressed Edward learnt more about the assassins and their cause in Black Flag than any other assassin in the same amount of time. Edward did not start as an assassin but he definitely became one, in a much more interesting way than the average "i need revenge so I am joining the creed" way.

Development is nice but the problem is Ubi didn't conclude it satisfyingly.

Only for the last few sequences can you consider Edward an assassin.

If they wanted to showcase his pre-assassin development then the game should have simply been longer.

AC4 doesn't have enough being an assassin story wise.

Ureh
08-08-2014, 06:09 AM

There are only bots in the tutorial and wolfpack modes. I wouldn't describe them as challenging or intelligent.

But who knows?! maybe the hunters in rogue will be better.

Assassin_M
08-08-2014, 06:16 AM
Only for the last few sequences can you consider Edward an assassin.
Like Ezio

Sesheenku
08-08-2014, 06:49 AM
Like Ezio

Technically but at least he's actively killing Templars from the start, while exploring ancient assassin tombs.

Edward on the other hand is doing pirate activities for the most part.

Plus at least Ezio has more games for him to be an actual assassin, they didn't do the same for poor Edward before offing him.

Assassin_M
08-08-2014, 06:52 AM
Technically but at least he's actively killing Templars from the start, while exploring ancient assassin tombs.
Edward was actively hunting Templars with the assassination contracts and assisting the Master assassins around the west indies to kill Templars. Soooo....yeah.

Plus at least Ezio has more games for him to be an actual assassin, they didn't do the same for poor Edward before offing him.
AC II is a game, AC IV is a game. If you'll talk about Edward not being an Assassin except in the last minutes of his game, then you'd also mention the same with Ezio's first game. We don't know if Edward is never getting another game.

Sesheenku
08-08-2014, 07:04 AM
Edward was actively hunting Templars with the assassination contracts and assisting the Master assassins around the west indies to kill Templars. Soooo....yeah.

I never count side content -> Assassination contracts.

Second you'll have to excuse me, I haven't played 4 in a while and I found it forgettable.

In any case Ezio also had the added bonus of being heavily connected with the order since birth regardless of his own reasons for killing the Templars. He's going in ancient assassin tombs, collecting Altairs codex, and later his armor which helps the feeling of being an assassin.

Edward had a much weaker connection. They needed to even out his time as a pirate and time as an official assassin. Something they seem unable to do since 3 which contains a grand total of 7 sequences in which you actually play as a full fledged assassin, 1 of which is the obligatory scripted ending and one of which includes a Templar target that is optional.

AC II is a game, AC IV is a game. If you'll talk about Edward not being an Assassin except in the last minutes of his game, then you'd also mention the same with Ezio's first game. We don't know if Edward is never getting another game.

Well for your first point, fair enough, as for your second point..

Well he's dead so I don't see why they would make him another game. Especially since it seems they showed all the interesting parts of his life.

shobhit7777777
08-08-2014, 07:10 AM
Precisely.

Everyone is stoked about Rogue. And why? Because they'll still have Unity. I've been reading a lot of opinions, and the general impression that I have, is that fans are willing to forget the compelling weaknesses and flaws of the installment, simply because Unity (for many, the real next chapter in the series) will also be out there. On the other hand, many people (myself included) won't be able to play Unity for a while, at least another year, in my personal case, which means Rogue will be the only option. As a full chapter of the series, it should be regarded as such, independently of other titles, instead of being considered a new distraction for when they're not playing Unity. In my humble opinion, and as I mentioned before, Rogue's flaws are devastating: it offers no real innovation, no evolution, as it delivers the same content than before but in a different package and with different visuals.

Absolutely, I agree. I just think that Unity being there, doesn't change the fact.

Unity changes everything.

Ubisoft used to get flak for 0 evolution.....with Unity that changes. What they do with Rogue now doesn't really bother me. Its also a smart move form Ubisoft...explained in my earlier post.

The real issue here is you being miffed that you won't be able to experience Unity and will have to settle for Rogue. Fair enough....but next time just come out and say it. Don't go around accusing people of double standards.

Assassin_M
08-08-2014, 07:13 AM
In any case Ezio also had the added bonus of being heavily connected with the order since birth regardless of his own reasons for killing the Templars.
He still was not an official Assassin until the last 10 minutes of the game. Connection or not, You're talking about being an Assassin. Ezio was not one until sequence 11 then it shifted to sequence 14, it has nothing to do with connection.

I never count side content

He's going in ancient assassin tombs, collecting Altairs codex, and later his armor which helps the feeling of being an assassin.
overlooking the fact that Altair's armor IS the tombs side quest, you should correct "I never count side content" to "I never count side content that don't help my argument but i'll gladly count the ones that do support it";)

Edward had a much weaker connection. They needed to even out his time as a pirate and time as an official assassin. Something they seem unable to do since 3 which contains a grand total of 7 sequences in which you actually play as a full fledged assassin, 1 of which is the obligatory scripted ending and one of which includes a Templar target that is optional.
Connections have nothing to with being an Assassin, like I said. Edward's connection to the Assassins was Mary, she was a friend and he was FAR more willing to be a dedicated assassin than Ezio ever was in AC II. Uhhh, no...I don't see AC II in there, which had you playing as an Assassin for only 1 sequence (retail had no DLC) which was an obligatory, scripted ending as well.

Well he's dead so I don't see why they would make him another game. Especially since it seems they showed all the interesting parts of his life.
Could'v been said for Ezio at the end of AC II but hey, look...we had 2 more games with him. Him being dead means nothing, there's a huge decade that we don't know anything about between his arrival in London to his death.

DragonAddicted
08-08-2014, 09:20 AM
Iīm really interested in AC: Rogue but if I want to buy it depends of it comes out on PS4 or not.

joelsantos24
08-08-2014, 10:14 AM
Unity changes everything.

Ubisoft used to get flak for 0 evolution.....with Unity that changes. What they do with Rogue now doesn't really bother me. Its also a smart move form Ubisoft...explained in my earlier post.

The real issue here is you being miffed that you won't be able to experience Unity and will have to settle for Rogue. Fair enough....but next time just come out and say it. Don't go around accusing people of double standards.
Let's clear something: if I want, I can turn my computer off and I can go buy a PS4, right now. But I won't. I've explained why in detail before: I'm not gonna let go of my entire AC collection, as well as some other games like GT6. The Anthology isn't coming out for PS4, at least any time soon, so staying with my last-generation PS3 is the only way to enjoy my AC collection and GT6.

Regarding Rogue, it's a full chapter of the series on itself. It shouldn't be analyzed while thinking about Unity, Rogue should be regarded while thinking about Rogue. That's the point. Furthermore, you think Ubisoft couldn't have done more with Rogue, than just giving us the exact same package but in a different wrapping? Basically, you're saying: "I acknowledge Rogue's considerable and compelling flaws, I just don't care about it because we'll have Unity". I'm considering Rogue exclusively, not because I won't have Unity, but because it's a full game and chapter of the series and it must be regarded as such.

And I didn't accuse you of anything, who am I to judge you or anyone else? What you do, say or think, is your responsibility, your problem, not mine. Many people are willingly choosing to ignore Rogue's flaws, because of Unity's presence, and it's their prerogative to do so. I'm not interested in any of that whatsoever, it's not my place to do so. The game is ultimately flawed with stagnancy, we both agree on that. However, Unity doesn't change the fact, and it certainly doesn't erase it. It only changes your perspective, or should I say, the relevance you give to that fact. I'm not interested in what you feel about it or the relevance you give Rogue's flaws, given Unity, that's your business. I'm rather interested in Rogue's analysis as a whole, for Rogue's sake itself.

Dome500
08-08-2014, 03:34 PM
I'm on shobs side here.

And @joe => If you want Unity you only have to buy a new graphics card. No problem if you have enough money to afford a PS4.

I think the point is, they deliver a good experience for both generations without limiting one of the games to the requirements of the other generation. Rogue will obviously try to be the best last gen has to offer while Unity will try to innovate the franchise.

I also hope Rogue will have some new systems (as far as this is possible with last gen) like Unity though.

AherasSTRG
08-08-2014, 03:50 PM
I loved the naval battles and free roaming of AC4. The only thing felt was missing, was more tactical weapons and the ability of enemies to board your ship. And guess what: Rogue has those, so I got hyped for the Naval once again.

bitebug2003
08-08-2014, 05:29 PM
I preferred AC4's to AC3's Naval combat so if this expands on it then I'll enjoy it but it will mean gameplay will be mainly outdoors again :(

I hope they have indoor areas like AC2, tombs, free roam platforming with a reward at the end etc.

joelsantos24
08-08-2014, 06:16 PM
I'm on shobs side here.

And @joe => If you want Unity you only have to buy a new graphics card. No problem if you have enough money to afford a PS4.

I think the point is, they deliver a good experience for both generations without limiting one of the games to the requirements of the other generation. Rogue will obviously try to be the best last gen has to offer while Unity will try to innovate the franchise.

I also hope Rogue will have some new systems (as far as this is possible with last gen) like Unity though.
No, no, no, there's no point on taking sides, there are no sides here, at least, not as far as I am concerned. In fact, @shobhit7777777 and I both agree that Rogue is effectively cursed with stagnancy.

More to the point, while Unity will likely deliver a significant breakthrough in the series development, I believe Rogue will not. Like I said before, it all points to it being the exact same package but with different visuals. Here's the link to a page containing all the details of Rogue's gameplay (http://gamingeverything.com/lots-of-assassins-creed-rogue-details/), courtesy of @rprkjj at the Assassin's Creed: Rogue - General Discussion Thread. A thorough analysis of all the factors, will lead you to conclude that there is very little or no innovation whatsoever, in Rogue. So, it begs the question, why is it being released in the first place? It carries no significant evolution, or none whatsoever, so is it just tor the sake of milking the cow, or keep doing it for all it's still worth on last-generation? It all points to that conclusion. But you know what? I've just pre-ordered Rogue this afternoon, so I guess we'll see how it turns out.

SubbieUplayer
07-01-2017, 08:58 PM
Your post may be old, but i just got so triggered by this post that i had to reply, forgive me. The Jackdaw and Morrigan are not identical, Neither almost. Like that the Morrigan has 3 sails on the front mast and the Jackdaw has 4. And Morrigan's captain's cabin is different from the inside and outside. Also the wheel deck of the Morrigan is lower then the Jackdaw's. and there are still thousends of things to say. After all have a great day, or week, or year..