PDA

View Full Version : Game Volume settings and Sound effects in tracks, what do you use?

TeriXeri
08-05-2014, 12:43 PM
I personally play at 0% music when recording videos and 100% otherwise when riding/building.

Game sound usually varies for me about 30-50%, mostly to reduce bike engine sounds overtaking the rest.

Of course this affects track building as each sound effect/looping sound can have it's own volume 0-200% and a setting for static or just distance.

Currently I am making a track with a lot going on sound wise and since I only play at 50% or less sound, it can vary a lot per player, as well I am trying to add dynamic music for extra atmosphere.

On one hand I don't want to deafen people playing at 100% with a 200% sound, on the other hand I want a track to have the right atmosphere and the right things to be hearable. I got a few different ambient sound areas, and a whole lot of triggered sounds.

Asking for an opinion/suggestion from other builders/players :)

pArA8D
08-06-2014, 12:02 AM
Hey Teri, I generally use 20% music and 40% game sound. This is mainly to let me hear winamp playing. If a good track comes on I typically pause my music.
When I am serious about getting stuck into sound effects for my builds I put the game music and sounds to 100%. I then use the bike sound as an equalizer for all other sounds.
Really you just have to test, test, test! and test objectively as possible. Some sounds DO need to be at 200% to be heard at all particularly at lowered pitches (rolling wheel for example) Others like constant lightning I found myself at 25% volume.
Recently I have been finding that the game music detracts from my tracks thus I have been excluding it. Totally depends on the mood you are trying to achieve.