PDA

View Full Version : Showed my Dad how to play AC2 and it was a train wreck.

aatonpanavision
08-02-2014, 01:38 AM
So I tried to show my dad how to play Assassins Creed 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y_IS4u4YL0&list=UUCKbBnHLdT9S4O-MNKPK2lA&index=4
http://i62.tinypic.com/23s6n1i.png

JustPlainQuirky
08-02-2014, 01:40 AM
lol @ the parkour

To be fair I had a harder time playing the game on PC than on console, but prolly cuz I'm used to it.

Nevertheless, hilarious. XD

Ureh
08-02-2014, 01:48 AM
*looks at Ezio* "Is this a good guy or a bad guy...?"

aatonpanavision
08-02-2014, 01:49 AM
Haha, yeah It took me about an hour to figure out what the hell was going on when I first played AC2. Its unlike most games controls.

LieutenantRex
08-02-2014, 02:42 AM
You don't play AC with a mouse and keyboard, bro.

Jexx21
08-02-2014, 02:53 AM
I did. I switched the high profile and open hand buttons though. Why would I run with the right mouse button? I run with the shift button fool.

I mean, I play with a gamepad now though.

Ureh
08-02-2014, 03:10 AM
It was the other way around for me. I had a really hard time getting used to the ps3 controller, whereas the pc controls were easy for me. Like in AC1, I can counter flanking guards more easily on a keyboard+mouse.... dunno why.

HDinHB
08-02-2014, 03:43 AM
Warning: Ezio did not kill civilians.

It might have been easier if he'd started at the beginning tutorial sections, where you learn to walk and run and fight and climb.

He didn't even get to the "Itsa me, Mario!" part. I think he would have liked that.

aatonpanavision
08-02-2014, 06:24 AM
Oh man, you're right. Well if he had like 20 hours to play...

I think the keyboard after a while really made the controlling pretty fluid. The game is a bit awkward inherently in it's design of how you navigate. Especially the fact that he sticks to every wall like super glue when sometimes you are just trying to run. :rolleyes:

STDlyMcStudpants
08-02-2014, 06:30 AM
My Dad 'This game is stupid, you're just running around grabbing flags and look, your horse is running on water'
No..the place is flooded....

Sushiglutton
08-02-2014, 09:28 AM
It's kind of funny in general when you show games to people who never plays them, because they fail at things you no longer realize is a problem. Like I showed Battlefield to someone and he ran around looking at his feet most of the time lol. Co-ordinating camera and movement takes a bit of practice before you get it.

wvstolzing
08-02-2014, 09:31 AM
Compared to my dad, yours is a virtuoso.

jeordievera
08-02-2014, 09:34 AM
It's kind of funny in general when you show games to people who never plays them, because they fail at things you no longer realize is a problem. Like I showed Battlefield to someone and he ran around looking at his feet most of the time lol. Co-ordinating camera and movement takes a bit of practice before you get it.
Exactly, when you play a game for the first time all your movements are quite clumsy. I was really good at naval battles is AC3 and I sucked at them in AC4 at first, like a lot before I qot better.

Sushiglutton
08-02-2014, 09:39 AM
Exactly, when you play a game for the first time all your movements are quite clumsy. I was really good at naval battles is AC3 and I sucked at them in AC4 at first, like a lot before I qot better.

Yeah it was a bit tough to be aware of your surroundings. Like I was lining up for a perfect broadside and the next second I crashed into some sandbank lol. But with some practice it became a bit easier.

GunnerGalactico
08-02-2014, 10:09 AM
My dad only likes sports and racing games.

aatonpanavision
08-02-2014, 05:49 PM
Compared to my dad, yours is a virtuoso.

Really I would like to see that.

DynaRider
08-02-2014, 08:17 PM
I'm an old guy (76) and have been playing video games since the Atari system. I'm up to a PS4 now and the Assassin's Creed series has been my favorite of them all. The controls at times seem to be pretty screwy but eventually I've worked it out. I'm playing AC3 Brotherhood on my PS3 at the moment probably for at least the 4th or 5th time and I still have some unique names for Ezio. First name is usually "YouStupid" and the rest of the name is composed of one or a combination of 4 and 12 letter words not suitable for work. After replacing a controller that got "dropped" on the floor I've learned to turn the games off when my FTL (frustration tolerance level) reaches a certain point and Ezio's unique names are uttered with increasing frequency. Despite it all though I'll continue to buy new releases when made available. I even hang out till midnight at Game Stop waiting to get the latest.

MickyDaLips
08-02-2014, 08:49 PM
I'm an old guy (76) and have been playing video games since the Atari system.

I was just gonna come on here and rant at all these young kids, but now even at 52 I feel postivly spritely :D

Kudos to you sir, I hope I'm still gaming then... in fact I hope I'm still alive then XD

PS I'd love to have you on as a guest on my youtube channel if you're interested? it only has a handful of viewers but it's fun :)

SixKeys
08-02-2014, 08:49 PM
Reminds me of my first time with AC1. ;)

Megas_Doux
08-02-2014, 09:21 PM
My grandpa hated AC II for butchering his language :P

Xstantin
08-02-2014, 09:22 PM
My mother said I make Ezio run too much lol

Jexx21
08-02-2014, 09:37 PM
I actually agree with that. I think it's nice to just walk around the cities sometimes.

m4r-k7
08-02-2014, 09:44 PM
Yea Assassins Creed is the one open world game where I like to just walk around and admire the cities Ubisoft create

Xstantin
08-02-2014, 09:47 PM
^I do that too from time to time :D inFAMOUS photomode made me slow down a lot as well, but that's another topic

m4r-k7
08-02-2014, 09:54 PM
Haha yea but they didn't let you walk, only jog :(

ACfan443
08-03-2014, 01:12 AM
Yea Assassins Creed is the one open world game where I like to just walk around and admire the cities Ubisoft create

As do I. If I ever feel like roaming aimlessly in a video game, I'll load up one of the ACs. It's something the cities are so well built for and one of the activities I enjoy immensely.

HDinHB
08-03-2014, 01:39 AM
Oh man, you're right. Well if he had like 20 hours to play...

I think the keyboard after a while really made the controlling pretty fluid. The game is a bit awkward inherently in it's design of how you navigate. Especially the fact that he sticks to every wall like super glue when sometimes you are just trying to run. :rolleyes:

AC2 was the first game I played, and I thought Ezio moved so badly because I sucked. Later I found out that was only part of the reason.

I'm an old guy (76) and have been playing video games since the Atari system. I'm up to a PS4 now and the Assassin's Creed series has been my favorite of them all. The controls at times seem to be pretty screwy but eventually I've worked it out. I'm playing AC3 Brotherhood on my PS3 at the moment probably for at least the 4th or 5th time and I still have some unique names for Ezio. First name is usually "YouStupid" and the rest of the name is composed of one or a combination of 4 and 12 letter words not suitable for work. After replacing a controller that got "dropped" on the floor I've learned to turn the games off when my FTL (frustration tolerance level) reaches a certain point and Ezio's unique names are uttered with increasing frequency. Despite it all though I'll continue to buy new releases when made available. I even hang out till midnight at Game Stop waiting to get the latest.

A father posted in another thread asking if the language in AC4 would be too strong for his kid. I was going to tell him there was more to be concerned about in AC4 than language, and that, for most AC games, the language coming from the player is far worse than the language from the game. I'll be looking for you at midnight on 28 October!

I do that too. Did anyone else just trot around the Tuscan farmland on horseback?

phoenix-force411
08-03-2014, 02:19 AM
I feel so old and in the way.

Dome500
08-03-2014, 04:14 AM
You don't play AC with a mouse and keyboard, bro.

I do.
In fact I play all my games with m&k.
And it works absolutely fine (with the right configuration).
Anyway....

I tried something similar with my dad a while back with AC1, and it was also horrible (he took the controller tough).

I noticed that there are mainly 2 - 3 potential problems with that:

1. The person you try to teach is very unfamiliar with modern gaming in general
2. If this person is then also not very convinced that he/she can actually learn it it's even harder
3. If the person has not much time to play the game in general or to learn it is is even harder

And then it also depends if the person likes it.
Most of the time it is a combination of the will to learn and familiarity with modern games in general.

I think if you would leave those people alone for a while with the game (probably double the time you take with it, and it needs to be a game that doesn't immediately throw you into the action and has a high failure tolerance in the beginning) then they would manage to do that just fine. The problem is they are often overwhelmed with what they are presented and easily frustrated if they fail. But once they get familiar with it they get better and better.

Btw. Good Keyboard layout:

Q = High Profile
E = Legs / Low Profile
Space = Empty Hand
Mouse = Attack
1,2,3,4 = Weapons Menu
Side Mouse Button/Mouse Wheel or Shift = Weapon Wheel
F or X = Eagle Eye/Sense

Try it and tell me what you think. I played that way since AC1

Fatal-Feit
08-03-2014, 05:20 AM
M&K didn't do too well with the latest AC titles. I'm hoping Unity will use Watch_Dog's alt-to-walk mechanic to fix that.

D.I.D.
08-03-2014, 08:52 AM
I do.In fact I play all my games with m&k.And it works absolutely fine (with the right configuration).It works, but as one PC user to another, I strongly recommend you get an XBox wired controller. You're missing out on a lot. In open-world games, the ability to smoothly go from walking pace through a jog to a run just with pressure on the analogue stick is a huge thing, plus the ability to step at (and through) all angles of movement. With minimum pressure on the stick, your character will creep with an extremely slow walk, if that's what you want. I played everything up to Revelations on keyboard, and I can't go back now. It's so awkward and graceless.

Outside of open-world games, you might not realise how many games you subconsciously avoid through not owning a controller. I would probably never have bought Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons if I'd had to face the prospect of wrestling a keyboard to do it, or great platformers like Rayman Legends. There's also the benefit of being able to sit back in your chair, as relaxed as possible, without being forced to sit at the same distance from your screen.Keyboard and mouse has only two advantages: the convenience of not buying an extra peripheral, and the extra speed with which you can aim and fire guns in first person shooters. The latter isn't necessary for AC, and besides, I actually end up playing quite a lot of FPSs with my gamepad now. Heresy, I know.

SixKeys
08-03-2014, 11:28 AM
I've played all AC games with KB+M. I don't think I could get used to a controller at this point. High profile has always been right mouse button for me, so when other games have Shift as the default run button, I feel disoriented.

D.I.D.
08-03-2014, 11:49 AM
I've played all AC games with KB+M. I don't think I could get used to a controller at this point. High profile has always been right mouse button for me, so when other games have Shift as the default run button, I feel disoriented.

You can certainly be fast with keys. I used to think I couldn't get used to a controller when KB+M is an option, and I'll admit it took a little getting used to but it becomes second nature. Maybe you'll never like it for AC, but I bet there'd be other games that you would enjoy more with the sticks.

I used to get a painful mouse claw from having to hold down Mouse 2 with one of my weakest fingers (with enough tension to keep it down as I moved the view), but holding down a trigger is only a small adjustment of the pose that my hand is in already holding the controller, with my strongest finger. Plus, no more hopping forwards intermittently when accompanying an NPC on walk-and-talk missions!

YazX_
08-03-2014, 12:11 PM

hahahahhaa, you are talking about me as well, i tried to play with a controller since everyone is saying its better for AC but i couldnt get the hang of it, and always changing controls mapping to what it used to be in AC2 same as you.

SixKeys
08-03-2014, 01:02 PM
Plus, no more hopping forwards intermittently when accompanying an NPC on walk-and-talk missions!

That's definitely annoying. They fixed it in ACR and AC3 when they made your character automatically match the NPC's speed, but for some inexplicable reason un-fixed it for AC4.

Jexx21
08-03-2014, 03:05 PM
when I played with KB/M I kept the control scheme largely the same except I switched high profile and open hand, because using the RMB for running never made sense to me, and it made a ton of sense that the mouse would symbolize my arms (LMB = Draw weapon/Attack, RMB = open hand/sheathe), and that the buttons that were normally used to control legs in games would be legs (Shift = High profile, space = legs).

Dome500
08-03-2014, 04:19 PM
It works, but as one PC user to another, I strongly recommend you get an XBox wired controller.

Yeah, I've tried that. Doesn't work for me. I'm always better with the K&M.