PDA

View Full Version : Bombs are back? That's great !!

Dome500
07-31-2014, 07:33 PM
Hey guys, just saw this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SGrEXUb3g4

And shortly after 2:06 he talks about Bombs and that they are having a comeback.
Now while I hated the bomb crafting system which was a little chore, and while some of the bombs were not very useful, I actually LOVED the fact that we had lethal bombs, smoke bombs and distraction bombs. I liked the variety of uses if you understand what I mean, to have basically 3 types of bombs or other forms of gadgets that we can use in different situations to stun, kill or distract (as long as the killing bombs are not too powerful).

So, what do you think about that? I know the bombs were often seen as useless, but IMO it was more the crafting and the OVER-reliance and the fact that there were too many types which were not as useful as other bombs of the same type that made them boring in Revelations.

Your opinion?

JustPlainQuirky
07-31-2014, 07:35 PM
Yeah bombs being back without having to be crafted now has been news for a while.

But I'm glad. I liked bombs but I was too lazy to craft them. So glad crafting isn't required anymore.

Xstantin
07-31-2014, 07:37 PM
Probably I'm one of the few but I really liked bombs in Revelations. I thought they were wonderful tool for crowd control.

SHADOWGARVIN
07-31-2014, 07:46 PM
I liked the bombs in ACR.

Dome500
07-31-2014, 07:57 PM
Wow, didn't expect that response :D Like I said, I liked them too, I just thought there were too many that were not as powerful as the main bombs. What I wanted to say is, each category had the "perfect bomb". Which in the end meant the rest of them weren't used often. Also the crafting was a little bit too time-consuming.

So with both of that gone, I think this will be pretty cool.

And another thing that I absolutely missed in AC4 and I would have LOVED to have was a distraction tool, because as good as every Stealth game has a distraction tool.
FC had the firecrackers, but the AC4 didn't. So I'm glad we probably have a distraction tool, will be good for Stealth gameplay.

Xstantin
07-31-2014, 08:00 PM
And another thing that I absolutely missed in AC4 and I would have LOVED to have was a distraction tool, because as good as every Stealth game has a distraction tool.

I actually wanted to post that, but decided it's gonna be a bit OT. Something throwable would be cool, even if it's just a bottle.

Aphex_Tim
07-31-2014, 08:05 PM
While I liked the bombs in AC:R, I hope there's more incentive to actually use them this time around. Every time I start a new playthrough of AC:R, I tell myself that this time I'll actually create and use useful bombs a lot. Then when I finish the game I realize that I barely used them AGAIN...

Xstantin
07-31-2014, 08:08 PM
@Aphex, I think it really depends on your preferences. I barely used any bombs during the campaign, but I had a lot of fun messing with guards and civilians in restricted areas/Templar dens, or whatever they were called.

GunnerGalactico
07-31-2014, 08:10 PM
I'm really glad that they've brought back bombs to the gameplay. I'm gonna miss crafting different types of bombs, though. I especially loved crafting blood bombs in ACR... I found it very useful :p

Aphex_Tim
07-31-2014, 08:20 PM
I think I'll prefer it this way. The crafting was fun but having a bazillion different combinations available was a little pointless since most ingredients had the same effect on guards. Caltrops stunned guards. Smoke bombs stunned guards. Lambs blood also stunned guards, just with a different animation. Cherry bombs distracted guards. Smoke decoys also distracted guards. See what I mean?

GunnerGalactico
07-31-2014, 08:34 PM
I didn't exactly say that I wanted bomb crafting back in Unity. I was talking about how fun it was in ACR, even if it did get a bit bothersome at times to craft different variations of them. Even if we are not crafting them anymore, I'm happy that they've brought them back to the gameplay. I kind of wish we had bombs in AC3 and AC4.

Kirokill
07-31-2014, 09:01 PM
I replayed some ACR missions some time ago, I used bombs like a madman! They were perfect, throw decoy, then throw explosives. Throw poison, they come to the bodies that are dancing being distracted, pass by.

ACR bombs were quite fun to me, new ways and approaching in free roaming. Fun to me.

Sushiglutton
07-31-2014, 09:34 PM
Meh not a bomb-fan. Kind of an unelegant weapon, as opposed to the cold steel of the hidden blade. Smoke bombs are fine, but I hope there aren't powerful attack bombs.

Fatal-Feit
07-31-2014, 10:24 PM
I welcome the return, but I don't want them to be complicated like in AC:R. Make them like poison darts. Simple, viable, and accessible.

Kakuzu745
07-31-2014, 10:43 PM
Bombs for me were one of the funniest elements in Revelations...glad to see they are back.

ze_topazio
07-31-2014, 11:00 PM
Smoke bombs have been around since AC2, I wouldn't say they are a staple of the franchise but having them back is nothing to be surprised about.

LoyalACFan
08-01-2014, 01:39 AM
I too enjoyed the bombs, but the crafting element was unnecessary considering the brittle explode-on-contact bombs were hands-down the best for basically any situation. The varying gunpowder strength element was nice I guess, but it didn't really lend any strategic value since the strongest was always the best if you could afford it. And like Tim said, a lot of the "strategy" bombs were basically just the same thing with different animations.

So yeah, as long as I've got brittle-shell cherry bombs that's basically all I want or need to manipulate the guards. Smoke bombs are OK too for quick getaways.

Ureh
08-01-2014, 03:38 AM
I hope if they bring back the fuse shell (the one that can bounce off surfaces) that we can see where it lands with eagle sense or whatever. I couldn't really use that one as effectively as possible cause I wasn't always sure where it would end up!

GoldenBoy9999
08-01-2014, 04:22 AM
Yeah I remember in ACR Yusuf showed me how to bounce a bomb off a building to land over a wall and then I just never did that :nonchalance:

LoyalACFan
08-01-2014, 04:56 AM
Yeah I remember in ACR Yusuf showed me how to bounce a bomb off a building to land over a wall and then I just never did that :nonchalance:

I think that was one of the Piri Reis missions, actually, but regardless, I didn't ever use it after the tutorial either.

Anyway, it was kind of a cheap fix to a weak mechanic IMO; if we had a better aiming system we could have just lobbed an impact-shelled bomb over the wall, instead of having to bounce it off another wall nearby.

jayjay275
08-01-2014, 02:55 PM
Yes, bombs are back which is great. I loved them in Revelations, though like Aphex mentioned a few bombs did the same thing, but I suspect that they won't make that (so called) mistake again.

jeordievera
08-01-2014, 03:03 PM
I am happy that bombs are back and that you don't have to craft them as I was always too lazy to do so. And I am quite curious what kind of bombs will be avaliable this time.

LoyalACFan
08-01-2014, 03:22 PM
I am happy that bombs are back and that you don't have to craft them as I was always too lazy to do so. And I am quite curious what kind of bombs will be avaliable this time.

I believe smoke, noisemaker, and poison are the only ones that have been confirmed thus far (though I think you need the Chemical Revolution mission to unlock poison ones). Considering they've already stripped down the bombcrafting to just procure-on-site, I doubt there'll be a ton of different kinds like Revelations.

shobhit7777777
08-01-2014, 03:22 PM
**** yes!

Dome500
08-01-2014, 03:36 PM
**** yes!

Figured you would like that Shob ;)

But so my theory was right... most people just didn't like that you had to craft them, that there were "ideal" bombs in every category and that they were not as useful/needed in the end

vikoder
08-01-2014, 03:59 PM
Wow, i'ts great news, i like smokehttp://eucheapcigs.com/smile.gif (http://eucheapcigs.com/) bombs!

shobhit7777777
08-01-2014, 04:08 PM

But so my theory was right... most people just didn't like that you had to craft them, that there were "ideal" bombs in every category and that they were not as useful/needed in the end

I will miss crafting a lot. The level of customization REALLY let me get experimental with my approaches.....planting a sticky smoke bomb with a delayed fuse on a patrol was brilliance.

Kirokill
08-01-2014, 04:20 PM

I will miss crafting a lot. The level of customization REALLY let me get experimental with my approaches.....planting a sticky smoke bomb with a delayed fuse on a patrol was brilliance.

I also liked the crafting of it.

Dome500
08-01-2014, 10:20 PM
I also liked the crafting of it.

So the problem was the uselessness of some of them...

Nah....

I'm just glad they make a comeback.

wvstolzing
08-01-2014, 11:15 PM
Meh not a bomb-fan. Kind of an unelegant weapon, as opposed to the cold steel of the hidden blade. Smoke bombs are fine, but I hope there aren't powerful attack bombs.

Not only inelegant, but somewhat in bad taste as they promote essentially terrorist tactics for 'crowd control' and whatnot.

Being a serial-killer ninja suddenly seems innocent compared to setting sound bombs to attract crowds, and then detonating the real thing, etc.

Xstantin
08-01-2014, 11:19 PM
@wvstolzing, Assassins are essentially terrorist group though, or should I say 'extremist', just as Templars... There were non-violent bomb options in ACR (money bomb, noisy cherry bomb etc.), the game still punished you if you hurt a civilian.

wvstolzing
08-01-2014, 11:23 PM
@wvstolzing, Assassins are essentially terrorist group though, or should I say 'extremist', just as Templars... There were non-violent bomb options in ACR (money bomb, noisy cherry bomb etc.), the game still punished you if you hurt a civilian.

Still, the very idea of detonating bombs in public is in bad taste.

Xstantin
08-01-2014, 11:27 PM
See, I don't view bombs from social commentary perspective, I see them as means to affect gameplay/disrupt guards patterns. I guess it's all about the flow, if you look at the game world as playground. Every game so far made you do questionable things, but that's another topic all together.

Ureh
08-01-2014, 11:30 PM
Hopefully they let us throw bombs from the top of Notre Dame. :)

Imagine 5000 npcs all having a coughing fit at the same time. :P

wvstolzing
08-01-2014, 11:35 PM
See, I don't view bombs from social commentary perspective, I see them as means to affect gameplay/disrupt guards patterns. I guess it's all about the flow, if you look at the game world as playground. Every game so far made you do questionable things, but that's another topic all together.

I understand that; but for me, the bomb-detonation thing is so unpalatable as to disrupt the detached, gameplay-oriented stance. Not that I find throat-cutting 'palatable'----it's just that bombs rub me the wrong way.

... come to think of it, I never had a problem with this in GTA. Maybe it's because I take AC a bit more seriously.

GoldenBoy9999
08-02-2014, 12:51 AM
I think that was one of the Piri Reis missions, actually, but regardless, I didn't ever use it after the tutorial either.

Anyway, it was kind of a cheap fix to a weak mechanic IMO; if we had a better aiming system we could have just lobbed an impact-shelled bomb over the wall, instead of having to bounce it off another wall nearby.

Yep I actually remember that name now. I never replayed ACR and I got it on release so yeah its been a long time. I guess he was the bomb guy. I was skeptical it was Yusuf but I took a chance. I don't know if the average AC gamer would remember his name so I have to watch myself around here ;)

I hope we have at least 5 types of bombs and I'm glad they're back. I hope they all do something useful though.

LieutenantRex
08-02-2014, 01:08 AM
Was I the only one who realized that it was only typical that Middle Easterns invented lethal bombs first in the AC games? I don't mean it in a racist way.

Xstantin
08-02-2014, 01:21 AM
^ Yusuf: "Crafting explosives is a new hobby, one we borrowed from the Chinese"...

GoldenBoy9999
08-02-2014, 01:22 AM
Yeah I remember the Chinese invented the first fire crackers.

Sesheenku
08-02-2014, 03:52 AM
Dunno why people hated on the bombs so much.

Datura bombs were great for taking out entire groups of enemies quickly for example. Not all of them were useful but the ones that were useful were very useful.

There is NO other item that can instantly kill an entire clustered group of guards.

Also a simple splinter bomb makes short work of those blasted gun guards in the little covered things where you can't hit them.

A knife/crossbow bolt would take two hits for each guard, but one splinter bomb instantly wipes them out.

A blood bomb is more effective than all your other tools at making guards get out of the way from blocking entrances.

Yeah you could fight them instead but then you gain notoriety and may attract more guards which can be annoying at times.

I feel like people didn't even give them a chance or something, I found a time to use nearly all of them except stink bombs since their main use is getting attackers off during combat and there's simply no need for that.

Still, the very idea of detonating bombs in public is in bad taste.

And stabbing people in the head with concealed knives isn't?

wvstolzing
08-02-2014, 09:26 AM
And stabbing people in the head with concealed knives isn't?

I responded to this earlier.

I never said that it is.

shobhit7777777
08-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Dunno why people hated on the bombs so much.

Datura bombs were great for taking out entire groups of enemies quickly for example. Not all of them were useful but the ones that were useful were very useful.

There is NO other item that can instantly kill an entire clustered group of guards.

Also a simple splinter bomb makes short work of those blasted gun guards in the little covered things where you can't hit them.

A knife/crossbow bolt would take two hits for each guard, but one splinter bomb instantly wipes them out.

A blood bomb is more effective than all your other tools at making guards get out of the way from blocking entrances.

Yeah you could fight them instead but then you gain notoriety and may attract more guards which can be annoying at times.

I feel like people didn't even give them a chance or something, I found a time to use nearly all of them except stink bombs since their main use is getting attackers off during combat and there's simply no need for that.

+1

Sometimes, while browsing the AC forums...I wonder if all the gameplay improvements and buzzword laden dev interviews is a complete waste because most of the players simply DGAF or can't be bothered with it.

Jexx21
08-02-2014, 11:23 AM
I liked the bombs but I felt like they didn't give us enough gameplay situations to actually appreciate them.

Hey shobhit do you have Wolfenstein.

shobhit7777777
08-02-2014, 12:43 PM
I liked the bombs but I felt like they didn't give us enough gameplay situations to actually appreciate them.

There were several.

Not yet. I do plan to purchase it though. Played it at a friend's place and loved it.

Sesheenku
08-02-2014, 11:57 PM
+1

Sometimes, while browsing the AC forums...I wonder if all the gameplay improvements and buzzword laden dev interviews is a complete waste because most of the players simply DGAF or can't be bothered with it.

Those of us that think outside of the box will find use at least.

I can think of an infinite list of times when they came in handy.

As I said every time a guard is blocking a treasure chest or group of guards, when you're escaping the palace Datura bombs make it easy to get out undetected or you can use bombs that distract if you want to get full sync.

For every tower there's at least one covered guard post 1 splinter bomb makes shorter work of them than any other weapon.

When you assassinate Tarik a distraction bomb makes it much less of a pain to get to him.

When you go to steal the Janissary uniform, the datura bomb once again is excellent as a means to kill the patrolling groups quickly and unseen.

I could go on all day.The point is that if you experiment in missions instead of taking the old fashioned AC2 style method you'll find that bombs are extremely useful and can save you some headaches in many situations.

Honestly I feel like they offer these situations so naturally that I literally can't imagine how ANY player doesn't realize how much cleaner a bomb can make a mission.

I responded to this earlier.

I never said that it is.

You didn't need to say it because obviously violence of any kind is in bad taste.

Which is why your statement is odd, do you have a problem with it? There are after all many games that lack violence altogether.