PDA

View Full Version : Ubi Kiev will make the PC adaptation of AC Unity

V4sh.
07-29-2014, 03:42 PM
Yes guys, one year more, Ubisoft Kiev will be the responsible Assassin's Creed Unity Pc version.

This same team was responsible for adaptations to PC Assassin's Creed III and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flack in the past. What means this information? this means that the new game AC unity will be another disastrous console port on PC , and will have a horrible performance on our computers.

Since their previous game looked awful adaptations technically

I will not buy anything more from Ubi, I still regret my purchase of Watch_Dogs...

Be critical and think if the PC community year after year deserves a horrible port after another. Regards

apresmode
07-29-2014, 04:55 PM
I'm not knowledgeable at all in this field, but isn't it easier on today's consoles to develop for PC and then port to the consoles instead of the other way around?

AntiChrist7
07-29-2014, 05:25 PM
never had a problem in 5 AC main games.

BlastThyName
07-29-2014, 05:54 PM
I'm not knowledgeable at all in this field, but isn't it easier on today's consoles to develop for PC and then port to the consoles instead of the other way around?
It's not about easyness, it's about market priorisaion.
More people are interested in AC on PS4/Xbox One so one of them is most likely the lead platform.
The PC is at the furthest end of the importance spectrum.

In case you don't know what that means....Prepare your Ivy Bridge/Haswell.
This will be the main limiting factor.

Ubisoft Kiev have done the PC ports of Revelations, III, Black Flag and now Unity.
Performance issues are to be expected regardless of your hardware, well I hope HT will be supported at least.

Brostok
07-29-2014, 10:18 PM
Never had a bad experience with the previous ports of Kiev. :o

Dag_B
08-01-2014, 08:00 AM
I still can only run Black Flag when I start the additional programm "D3D Overrider" that handles the VSync for me and forces tripple-buffering. The Ingame-VSync is just broken (very demanding) and without Vsync it tears like hell.
And one of the patches broke the game even more. Who every heard of a game where the screen freezes, except you activate volumenetric fog? As far as I know this still isn't fixed.

If you do theses too things it's mostly ok, though. But honestly: Normally those things should not happen.

Dellers
08-02-2014, 05:40 PM
This certainly isn't good news. I'm assuming that they're still using the horrible Anvil engine (which is one of the most ineffective engines out there), and when there's supposed to be 5000 NPC's on screen, the graphics will be improved and Kiev is doing the port, I fear that we'll see the worst running game in history. Adding features to an already unoptimized engine can't possibly make things any better. I'm expecting major CPU bottlenecks at least.

Animator_Alex
08-02-2014, 07:31 PM
This certainly isn't good news. I'm assuming that they're still using the horrible Anvil engine (which is one of the most ineffective engines out there), and when there's supposed to be 5000 NPC's on screen, the graphics will be improved and Kiev is doing the port, I fear that we'll see the worst running game in history. Adding features to an already unoptimized engine can't possibly make things any better. I'm expecting major CPU bottlenecks at least.
Hopefully this port will be good considering the game is next gen only and the PS4/Xbox One are built more like PC's than the PS3/ XB360.

BlastThyName
08-02-2014, 08:31 PM
If we are trying hard to look for positive things we can entertain the idea that having only 3 platform sharing a good deal in common will benefit every sku, PC included. Likewise, we can put forward the idea that the engine has undergone massive changes to better accomodate the architecture of the PS4/XBO, I'm talking about multithreading and compute shaders. Obviously Ubisoft must have already made good use of compute and multicore scalability on PS4 and Xbox One...They absolutely have to.
On PC they didn't really bother because they estimated that performance was good enough on mainstream CPUs (Core I5-I7).

I...I really want to believe we aren't in for a catastrophe of Biblical proportion this time around but if the PC version is understaffed it's a foregone conclusion that we will pick up the slack as we have done countless times in the past.

Obtuse API + cursory port = failure. I don't mean to put the blame solely on Kiev or the engine.
D3D isn't very multithreading friendly so as you've said the CPU (in particular the individual performance) will be a huge bottleneck.
Considering Ubisoft's art budget we can look forward to 30-50.000 draw calls at any given time, obviously I'm talking about console equivalent settings (we all know the game will have much lower settings than that for the "Environment" as options). I dread to think what CPU will be required to keep up with consoles having very low overhead on draw commands.
What tools do devs have on PC to mitigate the insanely high submission cost ? Thank you Microsoft for not having updated your API and when you did you put some very interesting extensions behind a paywall.

We will pay the price...Literally.

Dellers
08-02-2014, 10:39 PM
Yeah. Well, DirectX 12 really can't come quickly enough. Hopefully that can do some wonders, and I'm also hoping for some serious CPU improvements the next few years. Lately CPUs have hardly become any faster, and DirectX and game engines haven't even been able to utilize that power.

playlisting
08-03-2014, 03:41 AM
Maybe, one day, we won't need to use external software to make a game run semi-correctly. We shouldn't need to use D3DOverrider. If V-Sync is disabled, the FPS should not lock. Ever. It should be allowed to fluctuate freely. If V-Sync is enabled, limit the FPS to the monitors refresh rate and be done. It's a bit of a joke that a developer as big as Ubisoft can't make a game that runs well on PC. Their games should be well optimised. Also, Ubisoft, decreasing visual fidelity isn't optimising.

dSchmo
11-21-2014, 01:21 AM
If we are trying hard to look for positive things we can entertain the idea that having only 3 platform sharing a good deal in common will benefit every sku, PC included. Likewise, we can put forward the idea that the engine has undergone massive changes to better accomodate the architecture of the PS4/XBO, I'm talking about multithreading and compute shaders. Obviously Ubisoft must have already made good use of compute and multicore scalability on PS4 and Xbox One...They absolutely have to.
On PC they didn't really bother because they estimated that performance was good enough on mainstream CPUs (Core I5-I7).

I...I really want to believe we aren't in for a catastrophe of Biblical proportion this time around but if the PC version is understaffed it's a foregone conclusion that we will pick up the slack as we have done countless times in the past.

Obtuse API + cursory port = failure. I don't mean to put the blame solely on Kiev or the engine.
D3D isn't very multithreading friendly so as you've said the CPU (in particular the individual performance) will be a huge bottleneck.
Considering Ubisoft's art budget we can look forward to 30-50.000 draw calls at any given time, obviously I'm talking about console equivalent settings (we all know the game will have much lower settings than that for the "Environment" as options). I dread to think what CPU will be required to keep up with consoles having very low overhead on draw commands.
What tools do devs have on PC to mitigate the insanely high submission cost ? Thank you Microsoft for not having updated your API and when you did you put some very interesting extensions behind a paywall.

We will pay the price...Literally.

Wow, 3.5 months later, it's incredible how close to a dead bullseye you were on this stuff. Right down to the reported number of draw calls. *Unfortunate* kudos to you for your foresight, sir. Here's to hoping continued patches will make things better.

NightmareGK13
11-21-2014, 01:36 AM
It's nearly 1am and i'm sleepy as f*** but did I read a PC adaptation of Unity? Correct me if I'm wrong please... so i'll have to buy another game to play a game I already own (even though poorly optimized but still expecting a damn fix of the fix that fixes the fix that was supposed to fix the game)? whut?

hlchade
11-21-2014, 04:54 AM
It's nearly 1am and i'm sleepy as f*** but did I read a PC adaptation of Unity? Correct me if I'm wrong please... so i'll have to buy another game to play a game I already own (even though poorly optimized but still expecting a damn fix of the fix that fixes the fix that was supposed to fix the game)? whut?

No, this thread is from last July. :)

naumaan
11-21-2014, 07:45 AM

so you got unity working ?

NightmareGK13
11-21-2014, 12:52 PM
so you got unity working ?

yes better than expected with the rig I have
manage to play around 20+30fps with medium high setting

Ultra High Textures
High Environments
FXAA
SOAA
High shadows
and no bloom

lower resolution tho
with a patch I believe I can play with an even better framerate :P

naumaan
11-21-2014, 02:09 PM
yes better than expected with the rig I have
manage to play around 20+30fps with medium high setting

Ultra High Textures
High Environments
FXAA
SOAA
High shadows
and no bloom

lower resolution tho
with a patch I believe I can play with an even better framerate :P

wow .. lucky you .. what about the crash issue ? did you get any ?