PDA

View Full Version : Unity Strategy Guide

twenty_glyphs
07-29-2014, 03:30 PM
It looks like Unity's strategy guide is being done by Prima Games this year, instead of by Piggyback like every guide since AC2. It's not really a big deal, but it still makes me kind of sad. Piggyback makes the best guides I've ever seen in the industry -- great content/strategies, great layout and visuals, and very high quality paper. It's also been a neat feature of the AC guides since AC2 that they have a story overview and speculation about the future of the story section in each guide.

In fact, the Piggyback guides were so good that the Assassin's Creed guides are the only ones I've bought for the past few years (other than Skyrim). I'm a completionist and often paranoid about missing something cool in a game, so for years I usually bought strategy guides for new games. I think it was actually the original Assassin's Creed game that started to end that for me, because I got it a couple of months after its release date and I realized you could find almost all of the info you'd need online (how else would I have found all those stupid flags?). Getting an iPad made strategy guides even more obsolete, because now it was comfortable to sit on the couch with the tablet and read tips online instead of somewhat awkward fiddling with a laptop on the couch.

But I always bought the AC guides because they were just so good. I still remember being amazed at the quality of AC2's guide, and I have great memories of flipping through Brotherhood's guide after I beat the story to see what they thought of the story developments.

I've seen a lot of strategy guides, and there was always something a step above everyone else about the design and layout of Piggyback guides. I even have the Tomb Raider: Underworld guide by Piggyback (my first experience with them, and only other guide besides the 5 AC guides) and can remember what a pleasure it was to look at the guide, and the logical, ordered way the guide was structured, and how easy maps were to read. All my Piggyback guides were like that, while I can't say the same thing for all of the Brady and Prima guides.

Like I said, this probably won't be an issue at all. For all I know, Prima could have hired some of the people who worked on the previous Piggyback guides themselves. I've also seen general strategy guide quality vary, and have seen some nice guides by Brady and Prima that had excellent layouts and paper quality. Prima did the massive Skyrim guide, and the content was excellent. I imagine some guide quality is determined by the participation of the developers themselves, so Ubisoft themselves may have been a big factor behind quality guides in the past. And I wouldn't be surprised if this guide gets extra attention because of the size of the franchise. Still, it's a little bittersweet seeing something that always made the AC experience unique to me start to change.

jasondeadly
08-25-2014, 12:40 AM
Yes! Wow... I went to Amazon to place the guide on my wish list, and was very sad to see Prima is making it. I was expecting the Watch Dogs guide to be Piggyback, and it was not. It was Prima, and it was very disappointing. It looks great on my shelf, and feels great, but the content is just not there. I hope Ubisoft sees this thread. I don't know if I will be buying the Unity guide. It will not be as good all the past AC guide. Makes me sad.

Dev_Anj
08-25-2014, 12:54 AM
I don't think the Assassin's Creed series needs guides, considering how easy the games are, but I can understand not liking the change of people making guides.

Landruner
08-25-2014, 02:00 AM
I don't think the Assassin's Creed series needs guides, considering how easy the games are, but I can understand not liking the change of people making guides.
I some kind of agree with you, but Piggyback apparently was making a great job at including some official extra art designs besides the guide and the walk-through, so I understand that some AC fans want to get those and wish that they keep producing those AC guide.

SixKeys
08-25-2014, 03:09 AM
Wasn't even aware AC had strategy guides. I'm surprised game companies still make those, with the internet and all.