PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to create a moment of gameplay in slowmotion?

HES92
07-29-2014, 11:45 AM
I am rebuidling the ending for one of my tracks "Limbus Puerorum" and I am trying to build the ending just like the video game Limbo. Creating the decoration ain't that hard, but I would like to know if it is possible to make the gameplay go in slomotion when the rider breaks through the glass on the end, it would be nice if even the firework (the white glass) explodes in slowmotion, so is it possible :)?

Here is the track, you can take a look to the end and well let me know if it is possible to make it in slomotion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNwR0itjvjg

- HES92 -

dasraizer
07-29-2014, 05:32 PM
in one of the DLC tracks, at the end the game slows down, looks awesome and it looks like they toggled the freeze rider/bike and with other physics items adjusted the linerar/angular dampening, as for breaking and slowing glass, im not sure if its doable, but as your track is almost 2D it maybe possible to make your own glass fragments that adhere to similar dampening, as for particle effects i don't think you can slow them down (other than lagging the hell out of the game)

HES92
07-29-2014, 06:55 PM
in one of the DLC tracks, at the end the game slows down, looks awesome and it looks like they toggled the freeze rider/bike and with other physics items adjusted the linerar/angular dampening, as for breaking and slowing glass, im not sure if its doable, but as your track is almost 2D it maybe possible to make your own glass fragments that adhere to similar dampening, as for particle effects i don't think you can slow them down (other than lagging the hell out of the game)

Yeah someone told me there might be something in the DLC I can use, so I have to wait till it drops the 30th for ps4 Europe, thanks :).

Rishaanvb
07-31-2014, 01:00 PM
for the glass breaking, I think you can alternate between having physics off and on every couple of ticks with a set value event, so that it looks like slow-motion.

HES92
07-31-2014, 01:51 PM
for the glass breaking, I think you can alternate between having physics off and on every couple of ticks with a set value event, so that it looks like slow-motion.

Thanks, but I decided since there is a dark part after the glass breaks. (Recreated so not visible in the video above), to make it go slomo after this part. And thanks to a youtube video by core2tom I was able to manipulate linear/ angular damping, so the rider slows down. Using a directional force to keep the rider moving :).

Jeruhnq
08-11-2014, 09:19 PM
Someone know how to make a slow motion like the end of "Gone to Waste" but for the full track ? thank you.
I searched a little bit for now, i'll search more later.

edit: looks it doesn't work when we press the gas but when we press brake it's ok.
Anyway i founded how to do it : i "stick" 75 invisible balloons to rider and the track lag (= slow motuion lol)
:)

Zurgery
08-15-2014, 01:42 PM
I'm not the best at the editor but I was thinking. Could you have a curve data source looping 0-1 and attach it to the frozen on the rider and bike?
Would that work?

Magnus2552
08-15-2014, 03:59 PM
Using the Frozen setting, your slow motion would only affect the rider. While you still are able to handle the slow motion at the most objects using an slow OPE animation, all effects (like e.g. a firework) still would be acting in normal speed. ;)
I do not think there is another way to slow effects down than intentionally causing lag.
But Lag is very unreliable, since it really depends on, what the console's processor is doing at the moment, so I don't recommend that. ;)

Zurgery
08-15-2014, 04:06 PM
Good point Magnus. Quick question would doing that using frozen slow mo the bike/rider?

Jeruhnq
08-15-2014, 04:30 PM
I'm not the best at the editor but I was thinking. Could you have a curve data source looping 0-1 and attach it to the frozen on the rider and bike?
Would that work?
I tried and it works but when you press the gas, it doesn't effect the bike (and when you press brake, it works :nonchalance: ).

I think they used this methode for the animation at the end of "Gone to Waste" (+ for the objects), as it's just a dead animation.

HES92
08-18-2014, 03:04 PM
Thanks everyone, I was able to manipulate linear/ angular damping with datasources, so the rider slows down and floats. Since I wanted the effect when the rider finished the track I used a directional force to keep the rider moving. The track is on PS4 called "// Limbus Puerorum" with the slashes, also added some DLC items.

MrGRiMv25
08-18-2014, 05:21 PM
Really nice work there, wish it was in the cross-platform section already as I play Trials on PC!

mutetus
08-18-2014, 05:21 PM
Hello. In a nutshell the slow motion effect can be done by a complex setup of forces and physics joints to move things where desired. The slow motion can be achieved by adjusting damping with a smooth curve first and then altering the damping between 99.9% and 100.0% every frame.