PDA

View Full Version : My love hate relationship with Assassins Creed.

CurlicuedStorm5
07-28-2014, 10:46 AM
Assassins Creed is a series that annoys me. It's a series that I want to be able to hate, to despise, to leer at, yet I just can't. It does so many things wrong, with it's bs preorder exclusive digital content, "time saver" microtransaction packs, sacrificing the opportunity to tell a nice complete story with a definitive end leaving almost every game on some form of a cliffhanger, in order to allow for more sequels. It's a series so built around making as much money as possible it's astounding. They new Assassins Creed games make the earlier ones feel less special when you realize it's always going to be Assassins and Templars are fighting each other over a maguffin. Large parts of the game feel very lazy, the dialogue in tailing missions is always slow and stilted, the missions are always a rotation of a very small set of activities, animations consistently and almost always mess up, so much stuff that makes me want to hate this series.

Yet I can't. Despite all the bs it throws at me, they're some of the very few games I am willing to 100%, they're so easy to sit down and play, they have compelling past plots, the freerunning while the animations are shonky feels great. My time spent with AC2 I look back at as some of my fondest memories in gaming, I had a great time with AC4, and I'm planning on picking up AC:U. I have to give props to Ubisoft for making a series of games that so consistently draw me in, despite so many reasons I have not to.

Fatal-Feit
07-28-2014, 03:42 PM
That was a fantastic read, and I'm sure most of us are on the same boat as you are 100%.

Inb4youknowwhothathatesthefranchisefornotbeinganas sassinsimulator101

Assassin_M
07-28-2014, 04:21 PM
I think everyone kind of shares that view in more ways than one. I look back at my time with AC II....confusedly, to say the least. I wonder aloud, what happened? What happened to the base of AC I? the established gameplay loop? What is....carnival? what is...looting ribbons? what is....capture the flag? What is this? why contrive GREAT mechanics to do things that are so....mundane? did the complaint about variety hit that much of a nerve? and ignoring all that and anything about AC II's gameplay, what the hell happened with Ezio and his story? it starts well enough untillllll.....sequence 6...barely--nice setup, cool historical conspiracies but then I realize that from the antagonists to the motivation of the hero, there really isn't much....there. Our revenge is finished with the death of Uberto, which is all well and good, Ezio continues to join the fight because the Pazzi were his enemies and they had a personal hand in his father's death, cool but then earlier he and Mario discuss Giovanni's work and Ezio "takes it up" with no reason or explanation as to why he's suddenly so willing to take responsibility when 5 minutes ago he was going to escape Italy with the remainder of his family.

Going back to Ezio's unexplained sudden "maturity", Ezio really has no reason to fight the Templars in Venice...or Templars at all, really since he makes it pretty clear that he's only after revenge by pursuing Rodrigo. The quest is minimized to a list of names on a sheet of paper that Ezio has to eliminate....uhhh why? because his uncle told him so although AGAIN, it was shown that Ezio never really cared for the dribble that his uncle talked about in the office about the Codex pages and Giovanni's work. We are then left with a story of a repoman....except instead of taking your stuff, he stabs you in the face.

Many of the alliances that Ezio makes throughout the story make absolutely no sense--There's no way that a 20 something kid who was betrayed by a close family friend would be so huggy huggy and friendly with EACH and EVERY person he meets, it just doesn't make any sense. He's all friendly with Antonio when he's suspicious as hell "we know all about you Ezio and we know your name too lol" and why in god's name would Ezio friggin risk getting killed or imprisoned on his FIRST DAY in Venice--during his revenge vendetta--by helping Rosa? oooooh the lady in distress and we all know how ***** Ezio is because that makes sense. Ezio spends the next 5 years helping Antonio...5 years to assassinate ONE target and then the script strips all that away when Grimaldi says "the Assassin has been here for weeks" No, man....no, I haven't.

This brings me to the Revelation that EVERYONE Ezio has met and allied with was an Assassin....yaaaaaay, surpriiiiiiiise, I wont speak about how contrived and nonsensical this is but how in the hell is shoving Machiavelli in there in any way relevant? He was friggin 19 and he was supposed to be some big boss.....WHAT?
Ezio's motivations are also another point of frustration. He joins the Assassins and becomes fully dedicated to eradicating Templar tyranny--which FINALLY brings his actions in sync with his motivations after 5 sequences of aimlessness--No more revenge "Revenge would have consumed me but i'm fine now" GREAT, man...great. Anyone remember Altair's conversation with Richard in Arsuf after killing Robert? when Richard asks why Altair came this far to kill one man? Altair's entire motivations, progression and goals were summarized in that bit. Richard erroneously thinks Altair was here for revenge--and he would have been correct if it was in the beginning of the game--but Altair corrects him and tells him that it was rather justice, than revenge, full circle.
Now, with Ezio...he shifts and jumps in the last 5 minutes of the game...we're under the impression that Ezio is only pursuing Rodrigo because he's a Templar...no more revenge because he's totally over it, right? No..."I thought i was beyond this but i'm not" oh....okay then, so...you're still kinda finding your place in the dedication of the Creed, yeah? okay, mate...kill him, one less Templar for the Creed but then..."killing you wont bring my family back, i'm done"--WHAT? so you're not over revenge but wait you're over it and you're a dedicated assassin but wait, you're not because you're...over revenge? how does this make any sense?

That said, ACB's story sucked and AC III was a mess of a design.

ze_topazio
07-28-2014, 04:29 PM
When I look at AC2, everything single thing about that game seems like an answer to the critics AC1 got.

So you want extra activities? here, lots of pointless activities.
Altair too stern? here's Ezio.
etc...

Sushiglutton
07-28-2014, 04:34 PM
Yeah AC is a mixed bag, that's what makes it so fun to discuss! AC is also a very broad franchise and contains pretty much all elements I think are interesting in gaming.

m4r-k7
07-28-2014, 04:38 PM
Ubisoft are a massive multi-national organisation and so you got to remember that they are creating these games every year because people buy them. Even though each game has its faults, I believe their games are always incredibly fun to play. Each one of their games positive elements outweigh their faults in my opinion. Its the only historical open world with tons of immersion and so I applaud them for that :)

ze_topazio
07-28-2014, 04:41 PM
AC is perfect for me because I've always have had an interest on how modern cities and certain cities that no longer exist or are just ruins looked liked in the past in specific time periods, then one day AC appears out of nowhere, with the plus of historical events and characters, another interest of mine, it was like a godsend, so when I sometimes say I want an AC in Portugal, it's not like I actually care about it being on my country, what I truly want is a 3D reproduction of Lisbon before the earthquake of 1755.

aL_____eX
07-28-2014, 04:47 PM
AC is perfect for me because I've always have had an interest on how modern cities and certain cities that no longer exist or are just ruins looked liked in the past in specific time periods, then one day AC appears out of nowhere, with the plus of historical events and characters, another interest of mine, it was like a godsend, so when I sometimes say I want an AC in Portugal, it's not like I actually care about it being on my country, what I truly want is a 3D reproduction of Lisbon before the earthquake of 1755.
That pretty much says how I feel about AC. I love history, I love architecture and I love the idea of making history and historical events/places a playground to integrate the story of an Assassin in and so create a whole new interpretation of everything.

Assassin_M
07-28-2014, 05:00 PM
I have edited my post and I feel so proud of it that i'll actually put it in my signature.

CurlicuedStorm5
07-28-2014, 09:14 PM
Would you say you're 100%... synchronized?!?!

CurlicuedStorm5
07-28-2014, 09:38 PM
Another thing that really annoys me is that it feels like the ongoing battle between Assassin's and Templar's will never reach any form of fulfilling conclusion, which makes fighting that war feel pretty pointless. Plus all the side activities being so-so and then being repeated in some cases hundreds of times is a bit lazy. If you're going to have hundreds of collectibles or side missions make sure you polish them up first.

JustPlainQuirky
07-28-2014, 09:54 PM
Another thing that really annoys me is that it feels like the ongoing battle between Assassin's and Templar's will never reach any form of fulfilling conclusion, which makes fighting that war feel pretty pointless. Plus all the side activities being so-so and then being repeated in some cases hundreds of times is a bit lazy. If you're going to have hundreds of collectibles or side missions make sure you polish them up first.

"I can't wait for the cops to defeat drug dealers"

-The Almighty Darby McDevitt, 2013

The conflict never ends, yo.

Xstantin
07-28-2014, 09:59 PM
Didn't Haytham pretty much explain why the conflict was never over? You kill one, they'll just recruit the other. Also where is fun in the resolution?

Jexx21
07-28-2014, 10:10 PM
Oh, so all of a sudden you want the Autobots and the Decepticons to stop fighting? Yeah, that's totally going to happen.

Autobots = Assassins, Decepticons = Templars

not even kidding. Autobots fight for freedom of all sentient beings, Decepticons seek to control humans and turn Earth into Cybertron. Yes, it's definitely more black and white but it's definitely similar in concept.

JustPlainQuirky
07-28-2014, 10:11 PM
lol did you really just compare Assassin's Creed to Transformers? :rolleyes:

Yeah I guess it kind of makes sense but it's funny, lol.

Jexx21
07-28-2014, 10:15 PM
Yes, I used to have a sig with Ezio and Optimus Prime and Cesare and Megatron

Back in the ACR hyping stages.

Makes perfect sense to me.

JustPlainQuirky
07-28-2014, 10:17 PM
Assassins, roll out!

Sesheenku
07-29-2014, 04:02 AM
The game really didn't start bugging me much till 3 and 4.

I never really paid too much attention to the story as I already knew it wasn't going to be stellar, it's just fun to play.

That said I did start getting sick of the cycle of small activities being recycled over and over and over all the time in a never ending cycle of tedium.

Assassination, tail mission, chase mission, that's what AC QUICKLY devolved into.

They really have to break away from that, they have to throw away this idea which they've had since the first game, they never really got rid of the "investigations" they just repackaged them and tried to excuse them by attempting to integrate them into the story.

It's all still there though, AC games are indeed just a cycle of a handful of activities.

Missions do need to get to a point where they are 100% open ended where the choice to kill, tail, steal, eavesdrop, is a choice made by the player. The scripting needs to be broken away, if they have to die fine but let the player choose when, where, and how they die.

Like say on monday at 2 PM I can kill them on the street which is the intended way but, if I pickpocket them, a letter tells me they'll be attending a ball at 7 PM imagine that?

Depending on the day and time, there would be a few ways to kill a target.

Essentially missions that branch out based on time and date.

Too bad Ubisoft will most likely never put in that much effort without us losing effort in another area.

pirate1802
07-29-2014, 05:03 AM

This. The reason I play AC for.

Jexx21
07-29-2014, 05:10 AM
Like say on monday at 2 PM I can kill them on the street which is the intended way but, if I pickpocket them, a letter tells me they'll be attending a ball at 7 PM imagine that?

Depending on the day and time, there would be a few ways to kill a target.

Essentially missions that branch out based on time and date.

Too bad Ubisoft will most likely never put in that much effort without us losing effort in another area.

isn't that what they're doing with Unity?

Locopells
07-29-2014, 08:00 AM
Assassins, roll out!

Shade will love you forever!

naumaan
07-29-2014, 06:41 PM
Assassins Creed is a series that annoys me. It's a series that I want to be able to hate, to despise, to leer at, yet I just can't. It does so many things wrong, with it's bs preorder exclusive digital content, "time saver" microtransaction packs, sacrificing the opportunity to tell a nice complete story with a definitive end leaving almost every game on some form of a cliffhanger, in order to allow for more sequels. It's a series so built around making as much money as possible it's astounding. They new Assassins Creed games make the earlier ones feel less special when you realize it's always going to be Assassins and Templars are fighting each other over a maguffin. Large parts of the game feel very lazy, the dialogue in tailing missions is always slow and stilted, the missions are always a rotation of a very small set of activities, animations consistently and almost always mess up, so much stuff that makes me want to hate this series.

Yet I can't. Despite all the bs it throws at me, they're some of the very few games I am willing to 100%, they're so easy to sit down and play, they have compelling past plots, the freerunning while the animations are shonky feels great. My time spent with AC2 I look back at as some of my fondest memories in gaming, I had a great time with AC4, and I'm planning on picking up AC:U. I have to give props to Ubisoft for making a series of games that so consistently draw me in, despite so many reasons I have not to.

lol .. same here .. i could go on criticizing different aspects of this game series but not a lie, can't live without it either ... and always ready to see what they are going to bring next ... UBISOFT guys are genius ...telling a story in the history is awesome ... 10/10 for this

Jackdaw951
08-04-2014, 06:54 AM
"Love-hate" perfectly describes my ambivalence as well. While I love the vast and open worlds, and everything I get to do them (most recently and dramatically, in AC4: BF), I absolutely loathe the straitjacketed perfect-stealth linear missions. I have to psych myself up to leave all the wonderful free roaming to endure the scripted unyielding gauntlets. How is it possible that Ubi, after all this time, after all these games, still doesn't understand that instant-fail tailing and eavesdropping are no fun at all? Or am I alone in thinking this? I hope not.

Give us more freedoms. Score us lower, if you must (I applaud the %-sync mechanic), but don't force us into only one myopic way of doing things.

Sesheenku
08-04-2014, 11:56 PM
"Love-hate" perfectly describes my ambivalence as well. While I love the vast and open worlds, and everything I get to do them (most recently and dramatically, in AC4: BF), I absolutely loathe the straitjacketed perfect-stealth linear missions. I have to psych myself up to leave all the wonderful free roaming to endure the scripted unyielding gauntlets. How is it possible that Ubi, after all this time, after all these games, still doesn't understand that instant-fail tailing and eavesdropping are no fun at all? Or am I alone in thinking this? I hope not.

Give us more freedoms. Score us lower, if you must (I applaud the %-sync mechanic), but don't force us into only one myopic way of doing things.

Nah man you're 100% right.

Can't stand eavesdropping missions, much less tailing eavesdrop missions, I actually MISS ac1's eavesdropping, at least that was simple, painless, and I could actually hear the dialogue cause I wasn't fighting to stay in a tiny circle in which 1 step away from it's very edge leads to detection.