PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Basics, Tips, and Strategies?

ANBUKakashi7
07-27-2014, 09:43 PM
Hey so I've been playing Airmech Arena all day, and I'm really loving it. However, as a beginner, There is a lot that the game does not explain. I was wondering if maybe one of the Airmech pc veterans would be willing to post some basics/tips/tricks/guides. Some quick questions though which I was wondering about right now are: Can you link multiple units to one unit? What does it mean by certain units "ultimate level" in the stats section? Also, some of the stats Ive been seeing have a number, and then a number next to that in parenthesis (for example, itll look something like: Ground DPS= 145(120)) Does anyone know what this means? Also, can someone explain how parts work? Lastly, any tips on good unit loadouts? Any answers are greatly appreciated! ;)

Tangibilitea
07-28-2014, 12:26 AM
Can you link multiple units to one unit? What does it mean by certain units "ultimate level" in the stats section? Also, some of the stats Ive been seeing have a number, and then a number next to that in parenthesis (for example, itll look something like: Ground DPS= 145(120)) Does anyone know what this means? Also, can someone explain how parts work? Lastly, any tips on good unit loadouts? Any answers are greatly appreciated! ;)I have a bit of experience from the PC version, so adjusting to the console was pretty fun for me.

Yes, you most definitely can link multiple units to one unit; You're only limited by the amount of space around the unit as linking works by proximity. I really don't find linking of too much use, Mass select (B) is so much more useful.

Ultimate Level doesn't have any real effect, it really should be recolored to the same Golden-Yellow like the other joke stats that might be used in quests, but do not add any in game effects.

DPS is displayed strangely imo. Units with only a number are displaying their maximum potential DPS. Units with both a number and a (number) are typically ones with reload times, and their DPS is displayed as Burst DPS (Sustained DPS), which is to say damage without factoring reloading, and (damage factoring reloading). IE: A Longhorn will deal 96 DPS to anything that does not resist it's shots, where as a T45 will deal 210 DPS over the duration of it's continuous fire, and will decrease down to an effective (128) DPS when reload time is considered.

Your AirMech has an out of game level, as seen in the loadout selection. You should accumulate experience at the same rate that your persistent level ranks up, and each level your AirMech gains allows for 5 additional part points, which should be currently capping at 95 at level 10. Parts can be equipped in the 8 slots accessed in your loadout after pressing Y over your AirMech. You can fit as many parts as you have room for, limited either by your part points, or your part slots. They do what they say they do, they modify the base stats of your AirMech. If it says +10% Guns Damage, then it increases Guns Damage by 10%. Some have no real downsides, imo. Others have downsides that you can learn to live with quite easily, I personally always take a modified engine over the stock variant, Blueprinted Turbine is easily of almost no real downside over the stock variant, and all others parts are really down to preference. I don't know why, but parts seem to reset quite often; It's not like this on the PC version and it's quite annoying, so double check them right before you go if they're important.

For loadouts, it simply depends. If you're doing 1v1, you would need a balanced loadout, as you need everything. Some type of socket unit, some type of main line tank, anti air, and a repair unit are extremely safe to always bring unless you have a specialized build. It's extremely likely the other four slots will be inclusive of artillery, an end game unit, infantry, and some sort of light unit/bombs/counter unit.

For 2v2s, you should consider splitting up what's needed with your teammate, but is more flexible than 1s. Gens, moneymakers, and lunchboxes are pretty solid choices if you intend to play standard. A tank for each person, anti air, infantry, artillery, repair, and end game unit for at least one person, and the rest is pretty discretionary.

For 3v3s, there really isn't any guidance imo. There's enough room cumulatively that I don't feel there's a real need to explain, just take a little bit of everything.

ANBUKakashi7
07-28-2014, 05:33 PM
I have a bit of experience from the PC version, so adjusting to the console was pretty fun for me.

Yes, you most definitely can link multiple units to one unit; You're only limited by the amount of space around the unit as linking works by proximity. I really don't find linking of too much use, Mass select (B) is so much more useful.

Ultimate Level doesn't have any real effect, it really should be recolored to the same Golden-Yellow like the other joke stats that might be used in quests, but do not add any in game effects.

DPS is displayed strangely imo. Units with only a number are displaying their maximum potential DPS. Units with both a number and a (number) are typically ones with reload times, and their DPS is displayed as Burst DPS (Sustained DPS), which is to say damage without factoring reloading, and (damage factoring reloading). IE: A Longhorn will deal 96 DPS to anything that does not resist it's shots, where as a T45 will deal 210 DPS over the duration of it's continuous fire, and will decrease down to an effective (128) DPS when reload time is considered.

Your AirMech has an out of game level, as seen in the loadout selection. You should accumulate experience at the same rate that your persistent level ranks up, and each level your AirMech gains allows for 5 additional part points, which should be currently capping at 95 at level 10. Parts can be equipped in the 8 slots accessed in your loadout after pressing Y over your AirMech. You can fit as many parts as you have room for, limited either by your part points, or your part slots. They do what they say they do, they modify the base stats of your AirMech. If it says +10% Guns Damage, then it increases Guns Damage by 10%. Some have no real downsides, imo. Others have downsides that you can learn to live with quite easily, I personally always take a modified engine over the stock variant, Blueprinted Turbine is easily of almost no real downside over the stock variant, and all others parts are really down to preference. I don't know why, but parts seem to reset quite often; It's not like this on the PC version and it's quite annoying, so double check them right before you go if they're important.

For loadouts, it simply depends. If you're doing 1v1, you would need a balanced loadout, as you need everything. Some type of socket unit, some type of main line tank, anti air, and a repair unit are extremely safe to always bring unless you have a specialized build. It's extremely likely the other four slots will be inclusive of artillery, an end game unit, infantry, and some sort of light unit/bombs/counter unit.

For 2v2s, you should consider splitting up what's needed with your teammate, but is more flexible than 1s. Gens, moneymakers, and lunchboxes are pretty solid choices if you intend to play standard. A tank for each person, anti air, infantry, artillery, repair, and end game unit for at least one person, and the rest is pretty discretionary.

For 3v3s, there really isn't any guidance imo. There's enough room cumulatively that I don't feel there's a real need to explain, just take a little bit of everything.

Thanks for the info! super helpful!

Th3Tater
07-31-2014, 05:47 AM
The money shown at the top in co-op seems a lot less than it does in solo, putting out lots of Money Generators. Does it show just MY money or is that the TEAM's money?

Tangibilitea
07-31-2014, 04:54 PM
The money shown at the top in co-op seems a lot less than it does in solo, putting out lots of Money Generators. Does it show just MY money or is that the TEAM's money?It seems like less because it is. Team size affects income for the team. Overall, income increases for the team as a whole, but individuals get less income. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the following is correct:

1 player teams (Ai are included in team size) earn a base amount that we can call 100%.
2 player teams earn a net total of 133%, with each player earning 67% of the base income.
3 player teams earn a net total of 150%, with each player earning 50% of the base income.

Th3Tater
08-01-2014, 06:01 PM
Thanks! That makes sense now. Here's a paraphrased list of tips I found on GameFaqs:

Unit Blocking: Duh, stand behind your units.

Body Blocking: Stand in front of your units/friends.

Cheese: Spawn 4 Infantry & then queue a few tanks. Grab outposts fast, then drop the tanks that were building.

Hi/Low: use this to finish an opponent. One of you stays on the ground and shoots, the other in the air. That way the target can't escape damage & get away while you're changing.

Sockets: The round discs. Plug in a generator to make more units. Plug in a money maker to make more money. Plug in a Lunchbox to protect the outpost/fotress. If you put artillery T45/T99 it will heal them.

Outpost Garrison: The doors around an outpost. Put something there & it blocks the door if you lose the outpost. Possibly giving enough time to retake the outpost.

Mass Command: Hold B & fly over several units, then give a command to all of them at once. Doesn't work if you're carrying something.

T45/T99: Good in survival, per the author, don't use them in PVP.

Jammer Split Push: When you send a large attack force (see Mass Command) to the opponents Fortress tuck a Jammer in there so they're sneaky. Then, send a few units to an outpost.

Command Switch: If you notice your target getting beefed up, use Mass Command then change from attack Fortress to attack Outpost
Suicide: Don't let an opponent kill you. Let a unit get the last shot so the opponent Mech doesn't get XP.

UbiCeeCee
08-01-2014, 07:29 PM
This is great stuff guys! Thanks for posting!

ProtoFrank
08-01-2014, 07:32 PM
Th3Tater, if I had wanted to post that info here I would have, good job bro, now remove it.

Th3Tater
08-01-2014, 08:03 PM
Th3Tater, if I had wanted to post that info here I would have, good job bro, now remove it.
Really?
:rolleyes:
Sorry "bro". Hey everyone, ProtoFrank wrote that on G-Faq's. They have a similar thread.

link to page:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/805462-airmech-arena/69754118

Oh yeah. Arty, Archy & Bertha...don't forget to aim where you want them to shoot when you place them. You get a red line marking where the artillery shell is gonna hit.

A_Real_Phoenix
08-02-2014, 10:56 PM
Hi there! I'm new here. I started playing this game when it came out on the 360, and I'm loving it. I'm definitely interested in playing this game seriously, and I was hoping that someone would be able to point me in the direction of some pointers, general tips or guides. I want to get good at this game, and I'd be really grateful if some experienced PC veterans could point me in the right direction.

HeshMeister
08-03-2014, 08:36 AM
They are a helpful bumch aint they?

ProtoFrank
08-03-2014, 09:02 AM
Airmech Guides and Strategy Forum - http://www.carbongames.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=35&sid=41f3c3e0aaa3ca5756ad5deb47cb3d6e

Airmech Wikia - http://airmech.wikia.com/wiki/AirMech_Wiki

areyouwhy: Airmech Commentator/Shoutcaster - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP9bprpRz6oQIw7Cv0CrgUg

Official Airmech Tournament Twitch Channel - http://www.twitch.tv/optvlive

A_Real_Phoenix
08-08-2014, 12:37 AM
Airmech Guides and Strategy Forum - http://www.carbongames.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=35&sid=41f3c3e0aaa3ca5756ad5deb47cb3d6e

Airmech Wikia - http://airmech.wikia.com/wiki/AirMech_Wiki

areyouwhy: Airmech Commentator/Shoutcaster - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP9bprpRz6oQIw7Cv0CrgUg

Official Airmech Tournament Twitch Channel - http://www.twitch.tv/optvlive

Thanks for the links, they've helped a lot =)

Does anyone know what version of the game the console is on? A link to large patch notes would also be nice. I'd like to know so I can take future patches into account when I'm reading threads for the PC version.

UbiCeeCee
08-12-2014, 12:21 AM
Our first update has not been released yet. In the coming weeks however we are working to get the game updated to match the PC version.

HagbarChaline
01-07-2015, 07:39 PM
I'm willing to extend an offer to help any new players who want to learn more quickly about the game. You are welcome to send me a friend request Hagbarchaline. Just type something like help in the message header and we can begin. I am on often and have time to share.