PDA

View Full Version : Health potions are back?

SixKeys
07-26-2014, 11:57 PM
Thought this deserved its own thread.

http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/gamesites/uplay/v20/news/5827d8c659ce7722e1d067cf763e11eb.jpg

I wish I'd have noticed this sooner, maybe someone could have brought it up in the Comic Con Q&A.

"Carry more potions and increase your health". Are these two separate statements or are health potions back? What other potions could there be that would warrant the plural? I can only think of poison, but surely then they would have said "carry more poison".

This makes me really worried. They've been - once again - assuring us the combat has been made much harder and that picking fights with more than three enemies at a time is really risky, but if medicine is back, all that tension goes flying out the window.

m4r-k7
07-26-2014, 11:58 PM
I think they have got potions back because they have made combat harder. What they want to do is make combat challenging, but then they don't want people dying every second as Ubisoft want to appeal to the mass market (as always) and so by using potions, it makes combat hard but dying rare.

JustPlainQuirky
07-26-2014, 11:59 PM
Was hoping you'd make a thread on this.

I prefer it to regenerating health anyway. Regenerating health = no tension

just make the health potions less effective and be able to hold less of them and it'll be fine

Xstantin
07-27-2014, 12:01 AM
Pffftt you can always cheat out of the combat with smoke bombs (they're back, right?)

m4r-k7
07-27-2014, 12:02 AM
Yea smoke bombs are back

JustPlainQuirky
07-27-2014, 12:02 AM
I never even knew about smoke bombs when I played all the AC games.

It wasnt until people posted about how OP they are I found out they existed, lol.

m4r-k7
07-27-2014, 12:03 AM
I very rarely use them lol I think I only really used them in AC 2 and thats about it

JustPlainQuirky
07-27-2014, 12:05 AM
I used them like once to see what they'd do then stopped.

Mainly because you have to go out of your way to replenish them at shops and ain't nobody got time fo dat.

SpiritOfNevaeh
Hmm.. Smoke bombs will always be an easy way to "chicken" out of combat just in case it gets too hard, so thats probably why the potions are back. As long as the smoke bombs are good, I'm good :)

SHADOWGARVIN
I love smoke bombs. I heard they are less powerfull in unity though. They only create a smoke screen. Your enemy won't cough and be defenseless anymore.

Xstantin
07-27-2014, 12:06 AM
Anyway, I guess people will have to ignore potions if they're back to make combat challenging or something. Yay for self-made rules. Now that I think of it something like "Ironman" mode in Thief would be cool since they're changing old things about the games anyway.
EDIT: @Mayrice, almost every brute/heavy guy has one to loot, so refilling them is no biggie :)

SpiritOfNevaeh
07-27-2014, 12:08 AM
i love smoke bombs. I heard they are less powerfull in unity though. They only create a smoke screen. Your enemy won't cough and be defenseless anymore.

Noooooooo!!

JustPlainQuirky
07-27-2014, 12:11 AM
@Kev

really?

I had no idea. hm

Kirokill
07-27-2014, 01:38 AM
I remember using smoke bombs only once or twice when I got bored from a 6 minute chase. alongside with getting trophies.
Medicine for gods sakes was annoying! I can't throw myself off the building and I guess I have a thing against and unfilled health. And unfilled inventory items. Therefor I almost always just get stuck using blades.
And potion doesn't seem to me like a normal use for a medical thing, more a fantasy thing, hope the shot is like the old multiplayer skin for watch dogs, something that was not used in the end since you always see yourself as Aiden.

SixKeys
07-27-2014, 02:29 AM
Sometimes smoke bombs are useful for getting full sync in missions that require you to take no damage, especially if it's a chase mission where guards will form a road block.

Shadowgarvin, where did you hear that smoke bombs will be less powerful in Unity?

Jexx21
07-27-2014, 03:09 AM
Kiro, in AC2-ACR they weren't potions, they were smelling salts that were supposed to do something.

It wasn't really medicine per se, that's just how it functioned in the game.

GoldenBoy9999
07-27-2014, 03:15 AM
@ SixKeys I don't remember where but I know they said smoke bombs don't make people cough, they just can't see. A tip was to use eagle vision. You can see an example of this in the CGI trailer.

robinthefactory
07-27-2014, 03:25 AM
Um, where did you guys find this? And how does one receive this?

LoyalACFan
07-27-2014, 04:06 AM
Um, where did you guys find this? And how does one receive this?

It's one of the Uplay bonuses, every Ubisoft game has them. You get points for completing certain tasks in the game (usually just completing sequences) and you can cash in those points for in-game rewards through the main menu.

Anyway, even though they're apparently bringing back potions, that doesn't necessarily mean they function exactly like they did in Ezio's games where you can just press Left and magically regenerate your health in the middle of combat. If you have to be out of combat to use them and there's no regenerating health, that actually makes things a good deal tougher than it's ever been before. I still say that health potions/smelling salts aren't inherently a bad idea, it was just that being able to use them in the heat of battle and the ludicrous number of them you could carry sort of defeated the purpose.

I'm thinking something like TLOU's first aid kits. Yeah, you could use them on the fly and they recovered a huge amount of health, but they were your ONLY option for healing yourself, you could only carry a few, and you had to be outside combat to use them effectively.

SHADOWGARVIN
07-27-2014, 10:30 AM
Shadowgarvin, where did you hear that smoke bombs will be less powerful in Unity?

Alex Amancio said this in an interview. I don't remember wich interview. I've watched so many.

ACfan443
07-27-2014, 12:57 PM
I was really happy to see the return of regenerating health in AC3 and AC4, but all the AC games without medicine restored health while you were in combat, albeit slowly. It was just a matter of parrying until it reached a safe level to begin attacking again. That kinda defeats the purpose as well, I wish Hutchinson stuck by his promise of 'you have to complete your combat in order to restore your health'.

Jexx21
07-27-2014, 01:04 PM
To be fair, didn't Health stop regenerating in combat at a certain level? Like, there were 3 bars of health, and once you completely lost 1 or 2 bars of health, you couldn't regen those back until you escaped combat.

Sushiglutton
07-27-2014, 01:09 PM
Meh, prefer regenrating health for AC. Replenishing basic resources has been kind of annoying in AC, without adding any strategy/challenge. Hard to know for sure before we know exactly how they have balanced it in Unity though.

ACfan443
07-27-2014, 01:09 PM
To be fair, didn't Health stop regenerating in combat at a certain level? Like, there were 3 bars of health, and once you completely lost 1 or 2 bars of health, you couldn't regen those back until you escaped combat.

I can't remember, but the amount of health restored was enough to get you out of a messy situation.

D.I.D.
07-27-2014, 01:32 PM
It depends how they work, if they've brought back health items. If they don't have an instant effect and you can't use them in combat, this could be a lot better than regenerating health as a mechanic. Maybe they're only useful if you're able to retreat to a safe location.

poptartz20
07-27-2014, 01:35 PM
ehh.. I'm not a huge fan of potions. because you can spam them during combat. But maybe there will be a balance. to all of this. like a "cool down" time between using them.

dxsxhxcx
07-27-2014, 01:52 PM
It depends how they work, if they've brought back health items. If they don't have an instant effect and you can't use them in combat, this could be a lot better than regenerating health as a mechanic. Maybe they're only useful if you're able to retreat to a safe location.

Given Ubisoft's record on balancing things this probably ain't gonna happen, but at least we have the option to not use it.

Fatal-Feit
07-27-2014, 02:04 PM
I prefer regenerating health, but only because it was more balanced. If health potions are back, I believe THEY HAVE TO DO THE FOLLOWING

1) You can use potions during combat.

2) You can't carry more than 6-8 potions. And that's including the bonus equipment.

3) Each potion only restores 1 or 2 health bars.

4) They're more expensive. This way players would not only be able to brainlessly abuse potions each mission, but they will also have to be wary of how they spend their profits.

poptartz20
07-27-2014, 02:23 PM
and that's why I prefer regenerating health. :/

dxsxhxcx
07-27-2014, 02:28 PM
I prefer regenerating health, but only because it was more balanced. If health potions are back, I believe THEY HAVE TO DO THE FOLLOWING

1) You can use potions during combat.

2) You can't carry more than 6-8 potions. And that's including the bonus equipment.

3) Each potion only restores 1 or 2 health bars.

4) They're more expensive. This way players would not only be able to brainlessly abuse potions each mission, but they will also have to be wary of how they spend their profits.

I might be mistaken about this but from what I remember of AC3 all we needed to do was exit the combat instance and run around for our health to begin to regenerate, I fail to see how this is balanced...

IMO to balance this what they should do is:

- give the player two health bars, one with our max health (MH) and other with our current health (CH);

- CH is self explanatory;

- MH bar would work like armor, we get hit too many times it'll begin to decrease (maybe to a maximum of 40% of our initial max health) meaning that our health items won't be able to heal us up that point until we visit a doctor to fix us (maybe they could create an item that has the same effect as a doctor but the player should only be allowed to carry one and this item can't be looted only bought from doctors);

- potions can be used during combat but (when used) should regenerate our health SLOWLY;

ACfan443
07-27-2014, 02:46 PM
- potions can be used during combat but (when used) should regenerate our health SLOWLY;

Ideally you shouldn't be able to use any assists during combat, but this is a nice compromise. A large chunk of health restoring that fast was kinda silly anyway, even for a video game. It makes sense that after taking medicine you recover gradually, instead of pressing a button to insta-restore.

Fatal-Feit
07-27-2014, 04:24 PM
I might be mistaken about this but from what I remember of AC3 all we needed to do was exit the combat instance and run around for our health to begin to regenerate, I fail to see how this is balanced...

I said it was more balanced. --Not implying that it is entirely balanced. Also health still regenerated during combat in AC:3. AC:IV fixed it, however.

Bashilir
07-27-2014, 05:23 PM
Like someone else said, a system like TLOU would work better here. It would be hard to use during combat because you're wrapping your wounds up. I prefer regenerating health but who knows, maybe it'll work like Watch Dog's focus boost, where it just increases how much health you have for a limited time or maybe even extended Eagle Pulse? I'm not sure if Eagle Pulse has a time limit when in use, though..

Now that I read what the picture says, a boost makes more sense. "Make your assassin more resilient.. and increase your health"
I'm more than positive its some type of temporary boost.

GoldenBoy9999
07-27-2014, 05:27 PM
I think Far Cry's Health System was pretty good. You could heal yourself a little in combat without a potion and the thing about it was that it was slow. The 'potions' could be crafted and restore more health very quickly. I would rather not have regenerating health in ACU.

dxsxhxcx
07-27-2014, 05:54 PM
Ideally you shouldn't be able to use any assists during combat, but this is a nice compromise. A large chunk of health restoring that fast was kinda silly anyway, even for a video game. It makes sense that after taking medicine you recover gradually, instead of pressing a button to insta-restore.

I believe this way they could also avoid abuses like people spamming health potions to get full health, you use it once and until the potion does its job you would just waste potions instead of stack their effect if you try to use one after another..

Ureh
07-28-2014, 09:23 PM
Yeah it could be temporary health buff. Like you had 100 hitpoints, drinking the potion will increase it to 150 for 20 seconds or something.

Dome500
07-29-2014, 02:16 AM
Pffftt you can always cheat out of the combat with smoke bombs (they're back, right?)

I don't consider it a cheat to be clever and use the tools you have :D
But of course a true Assassin makes sure he is not detected in the first place ;)

pirate1802
07-29-2014, 05:12 AM
That's typical Assassins Creed. Try to improve one aspect and **** it all by screwing another aspect. Challenging combat.. :rolleyes:

Kakuzu745
07-29-2014, 04:50 PM
Yes, as someone already pointed out it is at least better than regenerating health I guess

Dome500
07-29-2014, 06:48 PM
Yes, as someone already pointed out it is at least better than regenerating health I guess

That is definitely true. I HATE regen health.