PDA

View Full Version : Il 2 multiplay

GregL71
07-26-2014, 03:23 PM
I have
Il2 - 1946 4.08m on Win7, and
Il2 - 1946 4.08m on XP
both connected to a Netgear router
I can 'Create new Server' on either machine, and try and 'Join server' on the other.
The 'Search for Local Servers' brings up the created server on the other - usually with a ping count of 16
'Join' just gives me a 'Wait' screen, and the ping count keeps incrementing up to big number - then back to a small number and increment again.
Never seems to connect.

Any ideas?
Greg

Edit to add
Initial post had 4.07 on the XP machine - now realise that was a known problem.
Now upgraded to 4.08 on both machines - still the same problem

FoolTrottel
07-26-2014, 07:42 PM
Could be Windows firewall is blocking the incoming traffic from the client, to the server.

16 is a big ping though for a LAN connection.... Fact that it is changing a lot may be caused by some issue on your local network... or with the netgear router.

Tully__
07-27-2014, 08:36 AM
After checking that Windows firewall is disabled or a rule set to allow UDP & TCP traffic on port 21000, I'd try a connect by IP address rather than search for local server, the latter never worked very well.
To do this:

On the server machine, before starting the game press Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog
Type cmd in the box and press OK
In the command dialog, type ipconfig /all and press Enter
From the list of results, find the local IP address of the network device that's connected to your router and record it.
Start the game and launch the server.
Type that IP address in the Server Adress box in the game on the other machine then click join once the server is set up and ready to accept connections. You can leave the ":21000" in place at the end of the IP address or delete it, the game will default to that port anyway unless you've specified a different local port in your conf.ini file.

Remember that if the server is running a coop mission, you need to join before the server launches the mission or the connection will fail. For dogfight mode, you can join any time after the server is created.

GregL71
07-27-2014, 11:54 AM
Could be Windows firewall is blocking the incoming traffic from the client, to the server.

16 is a big ping though for a LAN connection.... Fact that it is changing a lot may be caused by some issue on your local network... or with the netgear router.

Changed the Win7 firewall to permit il2fb.exe; the XP firewall already had that permission.
No change - just sits there waiting to connect, with the ping counts cycling. That is both ways: server on one machine and connect on the other.

The XP machine is quite old now, and can sometimes be a little slow on the internet.
If I were to upgrade to a newer machine (probably a bare bones machine from Novatech, with Win7): what would be the ideal spec to run Il2 (4.08m and hopefully 4.12 when I can eventually register with M4T)?

GregL71
07-27-2014, 02:52 PM
After checking that Windows firewall is disabled or a rule set to allow UDP & TCP traffic on port 21000, I'd try a connect by IP address rather than search for local server, the latter never worked very well.
To do this:

On the server machine, before starting the game press Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog
Type cmd in the box and press OK
In the command dialog, type ipconfig /all and press Enter
From the list of results, find the local IP address of the network device that's connected to your router and record it.
Start the game and launch the server.
Type that IP address in the Server Adress box in the game on the other machine then click join once the server is set up and ready to accept connections. You can leave the ":21000" in place at the end of the IP address or delete it, the game will default to that port anyway unless you've specified a different local port in your conf.ini file.

Remember that if the server is running a coop mission, you need to join before the server launches the mission or the connection will fail. For dogfight mode, you can join any time after the server is created.
Brilliant.
I can now set up a server on either machine, and login the other with 192.168.0.N:21000 - where N is the server machine on the network.
Interesting that the XP machine remembers the details of the last server it ran (including the aircraft), but the Win7 machine has to have all the details filled in again!
Is this a read only problem on the directory? Which file(s) need their 'read only' unchecking?
I only tried dogfight mode, but I'll remember the sequence for coop missions.
What are campaign missions?

GregL71
07-27-2014, 03:24 PM
When I picked up the 4.08 patch from
http://www.ubi.com/US/Downloads/Info.aspx?dlId=2176
It also had a patch for a 'dedicated server'
I assume I could run that on a third machine (if I had one), and connect the other two to it.
What sort of advantages might that offer?
Greg

Tully__
07-27-2014, 04:50 PM
Brilliant.
I can now set up a server on either machine, and login the other with 192.168.0.N:21000 - where N is the server machine on the network.
Interesting that the XP machine remembers the details of the last server it ran (including the aircraft), but the Win7 machine has to have all the details filled in again!
Is this a read only problem on the directory? Which file(s) need their 'read only' unchecking?
If you've installed the game on the Win7 machine in the default location (which is somewhere in C:\Program Files (x86)\ if I recall correctly) Windows security is preventing the game from updating its own configuration files, regardless of the Read Only setting. Since the game doesn't use any registry settings, the cure is simply to move the game folder to a location outside Program Files or Program Files (x86) then recreate or modify the game shortcuts for the new location.

...What are campaign missions?
There's a dynamic campaign generator for multiplayer missions that creates the missions as you go. I've never used it or been in missions generated by it but it apparently does a nice job provided you're flying with the same group of pilots through the campaign. There's not much documentation for it I'm afraid.

When I picked up the 4.08 patch from
http://www.ubi.com/US/Downloads/Info.aspx?dlId=2176
It also had a patch for a 'dedicated server'
I assume I could run that on a third machine (if I had one), and connect the other two to it.
What sort of advantages might that offer?
Greg

You'd need the original dedicated server package to apply the dedicated server patch to. I'm afraid I've lost track of who might still host it, but Mission4Today is the most likely candidate.
If you can get it running, the machine it's running on needs much less resources to run at the same level of performance from the server as it's not also trying to render a bunch of 3D objects and respond to player input. Without some fairly tricky application of mods, the dedicated server doesn't support coop mode, only dogfight.
Edit: Unless the machine you're hosting on is really, REALLY old, you shouldn't have enough trouble with server load to need to run a dedicated server. I used to regularly host up to 6 or 7 players in dogfight or up to 10 in coop mode on a WinXP machine on just the game without any server related problems (occasionally ran in to net lag problems, but you'll not have that issue on a LAN). Most of those that used the dedicated server on the net did so to make use of the automatic mission cycling that it permitted, to run really large numbers of players (32 or more) and the easier management of misbehaving players (i.e: kick and ban). Since you're running on a private network with only one friend or family member, these shouldn't be an issue.

An additional note if you're running short of missions to fly, any single player mission (single mission or static campaign mission) can be converted to multi player coop by opening the file in the Full Mission Builder, selecting one of the waypoints for the player flight, opening the View > Object window and unchecking the "Player" box in the aircraft tab. Save it to a suitable multiplayer mission folder and away you go. Unless you re-write the briefing, it will be the briefing intended for the unit that was intended to be flown as a single player mission.

GregL71
07-27-2014, 07:34 PM
If you've installed the game on the Win7 machine in the default location (which is somewhere in C:\Program Files (x86)\ if I recall correctly) Windows security is preventing the game from updating its own configuration files, regardless of the Read Only setting. Since the game doesn't use any registry settings, the cure is simply to move the game folder to a location outside Program Files or Program Files (x86) then recreate or modify the game shortcuts for the new location.

I had a m/b failure on an XP machine, impossible to replace the board(quite old), so built a Win7 machine, and hooked up the old disc to run as E:
So yes it is running from program files, but not on C:
Win7 made the whole E: drive read only, and I am removing the 'readonly' piecemeal - as needed.
I guess I just clear the whole directory

You'd need the original dedicated server package to apply the dedicated server patch to. I'm afraid I've lost track of who might still host it, but Mission4Today is the most likely candidate

I am having no joy registering with M4T.
Registered three times, and got no activation emails from them. No response from Webmaster on email either
I can't see any other way of upgrading - unless you know of a different route.

Very many thanks for the help.
Greg

Tully__
07-28-2014, 09:59 AM
There are new members with join dates as recent as 12 days ago at M4T, have you checked your spam folder for activation emails? If I recall correctly, they're automatic verifications and those often get caught up in generic spam filters.
Alternately, if you let me know what account name you registered under I'll see if I can get someone there to look into through their forums. I've been registered there since the site opened (and before, they absorbed a previous site when they first set up).

If we can get it sorted out, they've got two very useful download pages:
Ded server setup guide: http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&get=4517
Ded server setup files: http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&get=2417
There's links for some other server utility files in the setup guide too. Once you get into it (I'm sure we can sort out the registration thing) you can ignore the parts of the setup guide that refer to Hyperlobby if you're only going to use the server privately on your LAN.

GregL71
07-28-2014, 03:21 PM
There are new members with join dates as recent as 12 days ago at M4T, have you checked your spam folder for activation emails? If I recall correctly, they're automatic verifications and those often get caught up in generic spam filters.
Alternately, if you let me know what account name you registered under I'll see if I can get someone there to look into through their forums. I've been registered there since the site opened (and before, they absorbed a previous site when they first set up).
No spam folder on my Pegasus email system !!
Registered again (for the fourth time) half an hour ago, and still no email back from them
User name GregL

Tully__
07-30-2014, 12:59 AM
I've asked the question at M4T, just waiting for response.

BTW, the file you're most likely to need to remove read only on is "conf.ini"
Probably simplest if you do a search in the game folder for "*.ini" and remove read only on all of those, that will allow all users settings such as control assignments, campaign progress, graphics and audio settings, etc to store properly.

Tully__
07-30-2014, 01:22 PM
Response from them (specifically, Gamekeeper who is Site Admin): http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewtopic&p=156962#156962
You should be able to read that and use the feedback page without an account, I managed to do the reading part without being logged in there and the feedback form is available where forum reply forms aren't. I hope that fixes it for you :)

wheelsup_cavu
07-30-2014, 09:01 PM
Finally saw the username before the system deleted it and the account has been activated. :cool:
I would advise using another email address since the one being used does not seem to want to work very well if at all with our system. It won't keep you from logging into the site if you don't change it but you will not receive any notifications for threads that you want to watch or password changes.

Wheels

Tully__
07-31-2014, 09:37 AM
Thanks Wheels :)
BTW, haven't forgotten the Grille Chompa thing, just haven't got 'round to looking at it yet.

GregL71
08-01-2014, 08:18 AM
Very many thanks Wheels and Tully.
Successfully logged in at M4T

I need to check that my ISP is delivering M4T emails - as two different email addresses failed on registration
Greg

GregL71
08-03-2014, 09:23 AM
Successfully run a dogfight session on my two computers!
Successful in the sense that I could fly the two planes with two different joysticks (left hand and right hand) - less successful in that I failed to get the two planes to the same point of airspace before I accidentaly crashed one or the other!

The next challenge is to get a coop session running.
I understand about connecting all players before flying, but have been unable to get that far - fly buttons not enabled.
When you set up the server with the number of combatants, does that include the server pilot.
ie with one server and one connecting, is that 1 or 2 to be set up at the server?

Greg

FoolTrottel
08-03-2014, 10:49 AM
All clients and the server need to press the same 'fly' button, so all pilots have the ' ready list' on the screen.

When all clients have used that Fly button, on the Server/Host ready list screen a new ' Fly' button appears, to the bottom right.
When the Host/Server presses that button, the mission is being started.

GregL71
08-05-2014, 11:02 AM
Many thanks FoolTrottel.
Worked fine as you described it - running both on 4.08

Now all I need to do is to update to the latest versions.
I managed to patch up to 4.12 on one machine, but it just hangs at the end of a mission. I can refly, but not exit from that mission.
Does 4.12.1 solve that?
I need to get something to unpack the 4.12.1 rar file before I can do that.

Greg

Tully__
08-05-2014, 11:47 AM
Many thanks FoolTrottel.
I managed to patch up to 4.12 on one machine, but it just hangs at the end of a mission. I can refly, but not exit from that mission.
There are three possibilities here:

If you're playing on the Win7 machine, it may be that Read Only thing happening again; OR
If you're playing with the "no instant success" difficulty setting turned on, you'll have this happen if you've not completed the mission goals set up by the mission designer. Unless you're a complete masochist, I'd recommend turning that setting off as it will fail you for not killing a particular object/aircraft or not flying over a particular point on the map in some cases; OR
When you finish a single player campaign mission (can't remember if it applies to single missions also) at mission close the machine will churn for a while processing the mission results and saving the replay file. If it's a long mission or has lots of objects in the mission, this can go on for a surprisingly long time (I've heard of cases where it's as much as 10 - 15 minutes) so just try waiting a while longer.

I'd say 2 is most likely, check that first.

Many thanks FoolTrottel.
I need to get something to unpack the 4.12.1 rar file before I can do that.
Does WinRar still have a demo version? If so, it'll do about 10 operations on RAR files before prompting you for a donation.

GregL71
08-06-2014, 10:06 AM
There are three possibilities here:

If you're playing on the Win7 machine, it may be that Read Only thing happening again; OR
If you're playing with the "no instant success" difficulty setting turned on, you'll have this happen if you've not completed the mission goals set up by the mission designer. Unless you're a complete masochist, I'd recommend turning that setting off as it will fail you for not killing a particular object/aircraft or not flying over a particular point on the map in some cases; OR
When you finish a single player campaign mission (can't remember if it applies to single missions also) at mission close the machine will churn for a while processing the mission results and saving the replay file. If it's a long mission or has lots of objects in the mission, this can go on for a surprisingly long time (I've heard of cases where it's as much as 10 - 15 minutes) so just try waiting a while longer.

I'd say 2 is most likely, check that first.

Does WinRar still have a demo version? If so, it'll do about 10 operations on RAR files before prompting you for a donation.

Thanks Tully
Made sure the "no instant success" was off, and it works fine now.

Found the WinRar demo and extracted 4.12.1
Now updated to 4.12.2

Next stage is to find some flyable seaplanes!!!

Greg

GregL71
08-10-2014, 04:34 PM
4.12.2 seems to have only one flyable seaplane - A6M2-N
I have seen a Youtube video of an IL2 mission for a Spitfire with floats - it looks like the prototype Spitfire VB floatplane developed in 1942, registration W3760
(There was a later version, the Type 385 Spitfire IX floatplane produced in 1943)

I assume 4.12.2 will need to be modded to get that Spit.
Any suggestions?
Greg

Tully__
08-11-2014, 04:12 AM
There's a couple of other seaplanes in there (and flying boats), IIRC there's a seaplane version of the Ju52 though I don't recall if it's flyable or not. There's a way to fly even non-flyable aircraft in dogfight mode multiplayer by modifying mission files. There might be a mod that allows the same trick in coop multiplayer too, I don't recall for sure.

If you can't find them in the stock game, they'll be mods. I can't give links, but the popular "mega-pack" mods (contain most of the popular individual additions in one package) are HSFX and UP3. They are not cross compatible but you can create copies of your game folder for each one, thus having a stock install and two different modded installs. Each will need it's own shortcut.

The HSFX mod can be used with a mod enabler application that allows you to easily switch which modules are in use (or none if you want to fly stock). The advantage of this is it allows you to easily switch between mod versions and stock when flying multiplayer at Hyperlobby to suit the server you're flying in. Without the mod enabler, you have to re-set the game version that Hyperlobby points to each time you wish to switch mod versions.

The "home' pages for each of these packages is easily found through Google.

GregL71
08-12-2014, 04:15 PM
I quite fancy getting to the point where I can add in my own aircraft - Saunders Roe A1 flying boat jet fighter, and TSR2 twin jet multi-role are two I have in mind.
Which of the available modding packages is the most straightforward to DIY?

Tully__
08-13-2014, 11:22 AM
They're both pretty straight forward but neither allow you to just add whatever aircraft you want. You get whatever's in the packages. Adding your own is rather more complicated and even for an experienced modeller will take 3 - 6 months work per aircraft assuming you already have all the plans, photographs, weight and balance, armament and performance data.

If you need to research the aircraft first and it's not a type that has readily accessible documentation, it may take years. The lack of reliable data accounts for some of the Russian aircraft missing from the game that you would have thought would be included (since the developers are Russian) and also accounts for some of the included aircraft not being made flyable (plans and performance data available but no reliable documentation for internal detail modelling of controls, instruments, etc. with which to build the internal view cockpit model).