PDA

View Full Version : Might feel obligated to wear ugly outfits in Unity?

JustPlainQuirky
07-25-2014, 08:50 PM
We have custom outfits in Unity. These outfits affect your skills, no? And you're encouraged to pick an outfit that best suits your playstyle.

So what if the outfit pieces that have the skills I want are uuuuuuuugly? I have to play as some ugly, non-fashionable assasin just to feel fully upgraded?

And I might be at a disadvantage if I pick the outfit that looks nicer but doesn't have the stats I want?

Is that how it works? I'd like some clarification.

m4r-k7
07-25-2014, 08:54 PM
Maybe there's an upgrade system where you can upgrade the outfit you like in order for it to boost your stats?

JustPlainQuirky
07-25-2014, 08:55 PM
^would be a godsend

But i got the impression each piece of each outfit and such had its own unique pre-determined benefit.

Xstantin
07-25-2014, 08:57 PM
I'll go with his default outfit cause I'm quite happy with it. Then it'll be wait and see if the game gets hard without extra perks.

JustPlainQuirky
07-25-2014, 08:59 PM
I did that in AC2 and brotherhood. I prefer to play with the default outfits at first.

m4r-k7
07-25-2014, 09:00 PM
Remember there is an upgrade tree so you will always be able to upgrade your combat fully.
The outfits are there for extra stat boosts. As long as you continue upgrading your skills, I think you can survive without any stat boosts to be honest.

JustPlainQuirky
07-25-2014, 09:01 PM
But but but my OCD won't allow me to not have max boosts hnghh

#firstworldproblems

SpiritOfNevaeh
07-25-2014, 09:03 PM
Mayrice is such a fashion victim :rolleyes:

I would prefer the default robes upgraded if I can.

m4r-k7
07-25-2014, 09:04 PM
Yea if I have the default outfit fully upgraded I will be fine

JustPlainQuirky
07-25-2014, 09:06 PM
Thinking about it I might feel inclined to stay away from default robes just so I can differentiate from my assassin bretherin during co-op.

Though during strictly single player campaign I might switch back.

GunnerGalactico
07-25-2014, 09:08 PM
Mayrice is such a fashion victim :rolleyes:

I would prefer the default robes upgraded if I can.

^ This. I kept the default outfit, I just upgraded the armour.

Xstantin
07-25-2014, 09:14 PM
I felt like a fashion victim playing Brotherhood, never liked that outfit :( ended up switching it to Armor of Altair.

rickprog
07-25-2014, 09:20 PM
I like vanilla Arno, but I've always felt attached to the white-red Assassin robes. I even made my Unite program Arno have mostly white and red. Still don't know if I'll go down that road on the actual game or if I'll keep the default one. If I end up having the white and red one, I'll use it whether the effects/stats of the customization don't compliment each other well or don't fit my gameplay.

oliacr
07-25-2014, 09:31 PM
I'm pretty sure that the outfits are not in connection with the skills. As couple of guys said, there is a levelling system, rpg like, so you have a skill-tree. I think you'll get XP for your kills (this is where stealth comes. - you earn more XP for stealth kills.) Just my thoughts.

Ureh
07-25-2014, 09:31 PM
I'll probably change my outfit depending on the mission and how I want to approach it. So I might end up with 10-15 different variations. Like if I'm going to a winter palace then I'll probably pop up bulky furry white robes/hood/boots, etc. But if I'm going into the crypts then I'll probably want dark, form-fitting clothes. And so on.

SHADOWGARVIN
07-25-2014, 09:42 PM
I'm pretty sure that the outfits are not in connection with the skills. As couple of guys said, there is a levelling system, rpg like, so you have a skill-tree. I think you'll get XP for your kills (this is where stealth comes. - you earn more XP for stealth kills.) Just my thoughts.

You get skill points, not xp. It's not a true rpg. I think you will get skill points when you finish a mission, not for certain kind of kills.

Fatal-Feit
07-25-2014, 10:21 PM
Maybe there's an upgrade system where you can upgrade the outfit you like in order for it to boost your stats?

Now that Mayrice brought it up, some cosmetic problems will most likely happen. There are also those other exclusive ULC and pre-order content that gives wearable equipment as well. Does that mean players who enjoys combat might miss out on a good damage boost if he didn't do the Spin To Win?

I really hope there's an upgrade system, and it's just that.

AherasSTRG
07-25-2014, 10:47 PM
I am wondering - and fearing - the EXACT same thing.

SixKeys
07-25-2014, 11:33 PM
AC has never been hard. If wearing the wrong outfit determines whether you get killed or not, the problem is you.

JustPlainQuirky
07-25-2014, 11:34 PM
Not a matter of skill. Just ma OCD, really :rolleyes:

All AC games can pretty much be beaten with the default stuff :p

m4r-k7
07-25-2014, 11:37 PM
AC has never been hard. If wearing the wrong outfit determines whether you get killed or not, the problem is you.

You are right. It never has been hard in the past. They are making it sound a lot harder this time around. They could be making it sound harder than it actually is though.

AherasSTRG
07-25-2014, 11:38 PM

Yeah, but, when you have 3 more random people in your group, then won't you be feeling onliged to show them the best bits about your playstyle?

SixKeys
07-25-2014, 11:39 PM
You are right. It never has been hard in the past. They are making it sound a lot harder this time around. They could be making it sound harder than it actually is though.

They've said the same thing for every single game since ACB.

m4r-k7
07-25-2014, 11:40 PM
They've said the same thing for every single game since ACB.

I don't remember them saying AC 3's combat would be hard

SixKeys
07-25-2014, 11:45 PM
Yeah, but, when you have 3 more random people in your group, then won't you be feeling onliged to show them the best bits about your playstyle?

Most people are gonna dress the way they like for aesthetic reasons, not because of the individual perks of each piece of clothing. Who's gonna remember who's wearing what (stats-wise) anyway when you've got four players on screen at the same time?

SixKeys
07-25-2014, 11:47 PM
I don't remember them saying AC 3's combat would be hard

They said the new archetypes would make it more challenging (true to an extent) and that while the combat would not be hard per se, mastering it would be difficult. Which I really don't think is the case.

m4r-k7
07-25-2014, 11:48 PM
They said the new archetypes would make it more challenging (true to an extent) and that while the combat would not be hard per se, mastering it would be difficult. Which I really don't think is the case.

Thing is they have said a few times than more than 3 enemies will be very difficult to fight off against whereas in AC 3 Connor was portayed to be this one man army by giving him the ability to kill like 10 men easily

SixKeys
07-25-2014, 11:53 PM
Thing is they have said a few times than more than 3 enemies will be very difficult to fight off against whereas in AC 3 Connor was portayed to be this one man army by giving him the ability to kill like 10 men easily

They said the same thing during the Boston demo for AC3. As I recall, they also said during the Frontier demo that in AC3 enemies would no longer be attacking one at a time which....no.

In IGN's latest making-of there's a clip of Arno fighting a group of three soldiers and all of them are standing around waiting to attack one by one. It might be early footage, but I've heard these promises so many times now I won't believe it till I see it.

GoldenBoy9999
07-26-2014, 01:09 AM
I really hope they improve the combat. I think the navigation and stealth is good now but I always thought the combat was too easy. More on topic: I'm actually excited to see the return of better customization. I liked in the old games how you could pick better armor and dyes. In AC3 they said that with the addition of guns, armor is no longer relevant but I don't agree with that. Revelations was my favorite in terms of customization. There was lots of cool armor like Ishak Pasha, and you could dye your clothes almost every color under the sun. I could actually dye it gold which is my favorite color and I'm still waiting for it's return. Also Iike the return of better weapons than swords. I'm the kind of person that'll mold their playstyle around the clothing items. I guess it's not announced, but I was wondering how you unlock the clothing. I guess you just buy it but it would be cool if you can find it in chests.

Jexx21
07-26-2014, 01:19 AM
They said the same thing during the Boston demo for AC3. As I recall, they also said during the Frontier demo that in AC3 enemies would no longer be attacking one at a time which....no.

Double counters.

It happened rarely but it was still in there.

They aren't in Unity because Unity doesn't have counters at all.

Ureh
07-26-2014, 02:49 AM
Well this item increases your health so there'll probably be items that increase other stats (like lockpicking, climbing, falling, stealth). So combat damage/speed might be one of them too.
http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/gamesites/uplay/v20/news/5827d8c659ce7722e1d067cf763e11eb.jpg

Mr_Shade
07-26-2014, 07:13 PM
oh decisions decisions..

Sesheenku
07-26-2014, 08:21 PM
If it's ugly I won't use it, just like I didn't use the Mayan or Templar armor in AC4. Didn't use the Romulus armor in Brotherhood either.

I've only ever seen certain MMO players care about stats in games and yell at people for wearing a set that's not the best one.

AssassinHMS
07-26-2014, 08:31 PM
Well this item increases your health so there'll probably be items that increase other stats (like lockpicking, climbing, falling, stealth). So combat damage/speed might be one of them too.
http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/gamesites/uplay/v20/news/5827d8c659ce7722e1d067cf763e11eb.jpg

I think the belt only increases the weight capacity allowing you to carry more potions which, in turn, increase your health making you more resilient.

Anyway, Assassin’s Creed games aren’t exactly known to require anything from a person other than a pair of hands, so I doubt that any remotely skilled player will feel the need to choose his gear according to skill bonuses. I also don’t think these upgrades will impact the gameplay in a very noticeable way since there are already skill trees.

If they do end up being meaningful in terms of gameplay, then I can only hope the good looking outfits have the worst stats so that I can keep some challenge and realism.

rickprog
07-26-2014, 08:56 PM
If it's ugly I won't use it, just like I didn't use the Mayan or Templar armor in AC4. Didn't use the Romulus armor in Brotherhood either.

I've only ever seen certain MMO players care about stats in games and yell at people for wearing a set that's not the best one.

The Templar Armor is so damn cool, though. I agree about the Mayan and Romulus armor. Ishak Pasha's armor could've been good, but the mask ruined it completely for me.

I'd expect the outfits to be aesthetically related to the skills they boost, at least. Like having dark-colored gear working good for stealth, for example.

LoyalACFan
07-26-2014, 09:11 PM
I'm not worried about being forced to wear something ugly for stats. I AM concerned that everybody will be wearing the same thing. If all the outfits can be dyed, it's a non-issue, but if there's a particular outfit that looks really cool, I'm afraid everybody will be wearing it in co-op.

SixKeys
07-26-2014, 11:33 PM
Wait a second, something just occurred to me. That poster says "carry more potions and increase your health". Are those two supposed to be separate, or are they saying health potions are back? (Please, please no.)

m4r-k7
07-26-2014, 11:38 PM
Sounds like health potions are back.

JustPlainQuirky
07-26-2014, 11:39 PM
......oh crap

WHY DID WE NOT NOTICE THIS!?!?!?!?!!

I actually don't mind TBH. Regenerating health destroys ALL tension in my video games. But non-regenerating health does discourage me from playing like a reckless psycho :rolleyes:

m4r-k7
07-26-2014, 11:41 PM
Lol I noticed it since that pre-order thing was announced. I don't mind health potions too much so I didn't bother mentioning it lol

SixKeys
07-26-2014, 11:42 PM
AC1, AC3 and AC4 did fine with regenerating health. The health potions in earlier games made it far too easy to cheat yourself out of tough situations.

m4r-k7
07-26-2014, 11:43 PM
AC 1, AC 3 and AC 4 were also the ones with the easiest combat IMO

SixKeys
07-26-2014, 11:44 PM
Are you serious? You thought AC2 and ACB had more difficult combat than AC1 or AC3?

JustPlainQuirky
07-26-2014, 11:46 PM
AC1's combat was hardest. AC3's was easiest along with ACIV's

AC2's and ACB's were like in the middle for me.

m4r-k7
07-26-2014, 11:46 PM
AC 1 had the easiest by far. AC 2 and AC B wasn't difficult but with AC 2 when you countered most enemies, they countered back, which made fights really long. With AC 3 I very very very rarely died in combat as you could take down any enemy archetypes in seconds.

With AC 1 you just stood in the defensive pose and countered the attacks. If you had the hidden blade equipped you could kill the last boss with one counter.

JustPlainQuirky
07-26-2014, 11:47 PM
I will say one thing.

I never found any of the hand-to-hand combat in any AC game particularly 'good'.

m4r-k7
07-26-2014, 11:50 PM
Yea hand to hand has always been useless. Disarm kills look awesome though.

Xstantin
07-26-2014, 11:51 PM
I got hit a few times in ACII while Ezio was taunting guards, but otherwise it was easy. I don't think ACIII has any difficulty after you figure out how to deal with each type. Edward pretty much kills every enemy just as fast, I actually try to push them around and kill them only when they're on the ground for now to make fights a bit longer.

SixKeys
07-26-2014, 11:51 PM
AC1's combat only became easy once you learned the counter move, which took several sequences. Try fighting one of the Templar knights before learning counter. Even then they can counter you back and throw you to the ground, something later enemies never did.

IMO AC3 had the most difficult combat, only because I kept forgetting the keyboard commands for each archetype. :p

In AC2, ACB, ACR and AC4 you could easily button-mash your way through each fight and each archetype. AC1 and AC3 are the only notable exceptions.

SpiritOfNevaeh
07-26-2014, 11:52 PM

^This for me.

m4r-k7
07-26-2014, 11:53 PM
I actually think AC 1's combat was the best yet. Even though it was easy, each battle was really tense and brutal, especially as you had light and heavy attacks to mix it about a bit. Yeah those Templar knight battles were pretty hard but they were so incredible. I am happy light and heavy attacks are coming back in Unity. Looks like Unity is kind of being inspired by AC 1 which I am super stoked about as in some ways AC 1 was my favourite AC game.

GoldenBoy9999
07-27-2014, 02:40 AM
If my memory serves me correctly I only killed like 3 templar knights because I thought they were so hard. I guess it was them and a combination of their backup when I came. It seems like when I saw one I ran away. I don't really see how now... All enemies are so easy it seems like. I was a less experienced gamer then. I think there is a positive and a negative to health potions. On one hand I feel unstoppable when my health always generates so I'd like them to fix that but on the other hand, the potions could fill you up mid combat. I hardly used them in the other games because I'm a hoarder so it made the game more difficult. Also your armor would break.

Sesheenku
07-28-2014, 03:31 PM
If my memory serves me correctly I only killed like 3 templar knights because I thought they were so hard. I guess it was them and a combination of their backup when I came. It seems like when I saw one I ran away. I don't really see how now... All enemies are so easy it seems like. I was a less experienced gamer then. I think there is a positive and a negative to health potions. On one hand I feel unstoppable when my health always generates so I'd like them to fix that but on the other hand, the potions could fill you up mid combat. I hardly used them in the other games because I'm a hoarder so it made the game more difficult. Also your armor would break.

Well, they could always add a drinking animation which would add a delay to the healing.

GoldenBoy9999
07-28-2014, 03:35 PM
^ Yeah, that could work. I'm on the side of the potions.

The image said carry more potions and increase your health. To me that sounds like a health increase stat. Like two different statements.

m4r-k7
07-28-2014, 03:38 PM
Im not sure, I think the "increase your health" bit is just saying that potions will help increase your health when you are dying. They want the combat to be challenging but I doubt they want everyone to be dying every second so I guess they wanted to put health potions in.

Fatal-Feit
07-28-2014, 04:05 PM

AC:2, I understand. But AC:B's combat was pure broken. Kill one guy, and just watch Ezio chain-kill everyone else, including brutes and spear men. Hell, this is how broken it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8U01xdmkF4

Even AC:IV had much less health, no god-like potions, and far less tools to spam.

Keep in mind that double tool kills in AC:3 and IV was a lot harder to perform. In AC:B and AC:R, you only had to hold onto one button and he's manually perform it. --It also worked on anybody, enemies can't stop you mid-way, and there was no need to reload.